ImageImageImageImage

The Offseason thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,160

Re: The Offseason thread 

Post#181 » by Kent » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:49 am

Bensational wrote:If we're gonna be mediocre, let's at least be a competitive mediocre team. Trade for Chris Paul.

Fournier + Bamba + Aminu + filler

for

Paul

Sign TLC to the MLE.
Draft Pok

Vuc/Pok
Gordon/Clark
Ennis/Okeke
TLC/Ross
Paul/Fultz

Does nothing for the long term but in the short term we could fight for a top 4 seed in the East. Maybe steal a first round series. Look how much Butler helped bring all of Miami's pieces together. We need that kind of influence. Paul already did it in OKC.

I would do it for the exact reasons you mentioned but would be more inclined if we had Isaac in 20-21.

But if WeHam were to pull the trigger, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

I realize he comes with a big contract but let's look at the positives...

> It gives us a superstar which is not easy (on the back-end of his career, granted).

> As Ben said, he brings the Jimmy Butler effect to catapult us up around 4 playoff spots.

And...

> It gives us an opportunity to attract someone else who wants to play with CP3, and create more of a winning environment and culture.

Let's be realistic: we're cash-strapped as it is and we know how far we'll go with what we have. Might as well give us a chance to be a better team.

We're not trading for Ibaka here. And this is the East. Imagine what Paul can do over here.

And didn't the Thunder have one of the best records in the 2020 calendar year before the shutdown?

Plus, Paul has already shown to be a great influence on a young point guard, and that he can share minutes with one.

Throw Fultz on the floor with Paul and there's even less pressure for Markelle to reach his potential and learn from the Point God in the process.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#182 » by cedric76 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:57 am

Kent wrote:
Bensational wrote:If we're gonna be mediocre, let's at least be a competitive mediocre team. Trade for Chris Paul.

for

Paul

Sign TLC to the MLE.
Draft Pok

Vuc/Pok
Gordon/Clark
Ennis/Okeke
TLC/Ross
Paul/Fultz

Does nothing for the long term but in the short term we could fight for a top 4 seed in the East. Maybe steal a first round series. Look how much Butler helped bring all of Miami's pieces together. We need that kind of influence. Paul already did it in OKC.

I would do it for the exact reasons you mentioned but would be more inclined if we had Isaac in 20-21.

But if WeHam were to pull the trigger, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest.

I realize he comes with a big contract but let's look at the positives...

> It gives us a superstar which is not easy (on the back-end of his career, granted).

> As Ben said, he brings the Jimmy Butler effect to catapult us up around 4 playoff spots.

And...

> It gives us an opportunity to attract someone else who wants to play with CP3, and create more of a winning environment and culture.

Let's be realistic: we're cash-strapped as it is and we know how far we'll go with what we have. Might as well give us a chance to be a better team.

We're not trading for Ibaka here. And this is the East. Imagine what Paul can do over here.

And didn't the Thunder have one of the best records in the 2020 calendar year before the shutdown?

Plus, Paul has already shown to be a great influence on a young point guard, and that he can share minutes with one.

Throw Fultz on the floor with Paul and there's even less pressure for Markelle to reach his potential and learn from the Point God in the process.

Please never criticise weham again after posting such trade
Anyone requesting for a cp3 trade is crazy, his contract is terrible.

Trading for an old overpaid guy is not a good move, this is a short sighted move
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,125

Post#183 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:46 am

Any future Magic trade should not include.
Chris Paul
Andrew Wiggins
John Wall
Westbrook
Blake Griffin
Klay Thompson
Al Horford
Tobias Harris
Kriss Middelton
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#184 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:50 am

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

for

Paul

Sign TLC to the MLE.
Draft Pok

Vuc/Pok
Gordon/Clark
Ennis/Okeke
TLC/Ross
Paul/Fultz

Are you ready to pay $44M for 38 yeras old Paul in year where salary will decline?

I'd make it so we're spending the same money, but on one player rather than 3. Spend a little extra to replace bodies where needed, and use the ones we already have more.

Paul would still be the best player on this team. He'll be 36 in his final year, where he's paid $44M in 21-22. I think he's good enough to still lead a team to a top 4 Eastern Conf seed in 20-21.

Then, if Giannis is considering other teams, we show him a team of:

Vuc
Gordon
Okeke
MLE/Ross
Paul

Plus a couple rookies added to the mix.

We'd be negotiating contracts with Fultz and Isaac as well. Chances are we'd do some kind of sign and trade of Gordon + Ross, possibly Isaac s&t + Ross. If we use the MLE to fill out the backcourt next season they'll probably need to be included. If Okeke or the 2020 rookie look any good they might be included. Definitely not if they're too good.

So we try to sell Giannis on trying to contend with a team of:

Vuc/?
Giannis/
(Gordon/Isaac)/Okeke
?
Paul/Fultz

Paul has a couple good years left in him. Old Kidd and old Terry helped Dirk win a ring. Then Fultz is there being groomed to take over, hopefully developing his edge again being surrounded by competitors.

But I feel that team above needs another wing playmaker to sell Giannis. Another player who can carry the load down the stretch. Paul is your main sell, and maybe Fultz is that other playmaker, playing off guard? It could just be a cheap ring chasing signing, like JJ. Or maybe Okeke/our 2020 rookie comes though and it's one of them?

But who knows, maybe the cap contracts so much over the next two seasons that the $120-40M expense of the roster will be too much?

This is all just another option to consider in terms of paths forward. I'd have thought you'd be all over it, since we'd be adding the biggest upgrade the team has had since Dwight, even if he is in his twilight.

Cap space projection for 2021-22 is to go down, let's just say it's $110M ( i highly doubt it will be even higher than $100).

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

add 3 nba bodies like MLE space and 2 $5M a year players and you will figure , you are paying 6 players your whole cap space.

Chris Paul is franchise crippling contract for 2 years, regardless of who takes him. He is 6 foot nothing, 180-ish pounds ,35 years old guard who menaged to play over 60 games for first time in 4 years, because there was half of a year mid season gap.
He is one rolled ankle away from being dead salary at that age. 50% of salary cap- dead salary.
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 765

Post#185 » by Tarheel » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:03 am

pepe1991 wrote:Cap space projection for 2021-22 is to go down, let's just say it's $110M ( i highly doubt it will be even higher than $100).

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

add 3 nba bodies like MLE space and 2 $5M a year players and you will figure , you are paying 6 players your whole cap space.

Chris Paul is franchise crippling contract for 2 years, regardless of who takes him. He is 6 foot nothing, 180-ish pounds ,35 years old guard who menaged to play over 60 games for first time in 4 years, because there was half of a year mid season gap.
He is one rolled ankle away from being dead salary at that age. 50% of salary cap- dead salary.

I think Presti would be thrilled to offload Paul to the Bucks. I have no idea what salary works in return but you have to think they can get some first round picks from Milwaukee.

There is a good to fair chance that Paul gets injured, Giannis demands a trade and those first round picks become very valuable.

In order to get the salary to work Middleton pretty much has to be involved though. Risky play from the Bucks, but CP3 could be the catalyst to win a title next year.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#186 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:14 am

Tarheel wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Cap space projection for 2021-22 is to go down, let's just say it's $110M ( i highly doubt it will be even higher than $100).

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

I think Presti would be thrilled to offload Paul to the Bucks. I have no idea what salary works in return but you have to think they can get some first round picks from Milwaukee.

There is a good to fair chance that Paul gets injured, Giannis demands a trade and those first round picks become very valuable.

In order to get the salary to work Middleton pretty much has to be involved though. Risky play from the Bucks, but CP3 could be the catalyst to win a title next year.

Billy King approves

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#187 » by Bensational » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:43 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Are you ready to pay $44M for 38 yeras old Paul in year where salary will decline?

I'd make it so we're spending the same money, but on one player rather than 3. Spend a little extra to replace bodies where needed, and use the ones we already have more.

Paul would still be the best player on this team. He'll be 36 in his final year, where he's paid $44M in 21-22. I think he's good enough to still lead a team to a top 4 Eastern Conf seed in 20-21.

Vuc
Gordon
Okeke
MLE/Ross
Paul

We'd be negotiating contracts with Fultz and Isaac as well. Chances are we'd do some kind of sign and trade of Gordon + Ross, possibly Isaac s&t + Ross. If we use the MLE to fill out the backcourt next season they'll probably need to be included. If Okeke or the 2020 rookie look any good they might be included. Definitely not if they're too good.

Vuc/?
Giannis/
(Gordon/Isaac)/Okeke
?
Paul/Fultz

Paul has a couple good years left in him. Old Kidd and old Terry helped Dirk win a ring. Then Fultz is there being groomed to take over, hopefully developing his edge again being surrounded by competitors.

But I feel that team above needs another wing playmaker to sell Giannis. Another player who can carry the load down the stretch. Paul is your main sell, and maybe Fultz is that other playmaker, playing off guard? It could just be a cheap ring chasing signing, like JJ. Or maybe Okeke/our 2020 rookie comes though and it's one of them?

But who knows, maybe the cap contracts so much over the next two seasons that the $120-40M expense of the roster will be too much?

This is all just another option to consider in terms of paths forward. I'd have thought you'd be all over it, since we'd be adding the biggest upgrade the team has had since Dwight, even if he is in his twilight.

Cap space projection for 2021-22 is to go down, let's just say it's $110M ( i highly doubt it will be even higher than $100).

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

It all depends on what the alternative is for how we spend that money.

Fournier + Aminu + DJ

or

Chris Paul

I take Chris Paul for 2 years. This is all operating under WeHam's mo of remaining competitive whilst rebuilding. And when he's not healthy, Fultz gets extra minutes. Bonus for everyone.

Chris Paul will likely be better than anyone currently on this team even up until he's fat and forty. I hate his attitude, but he can play with the best. Just gotta manage his load over the next few seasons or something.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#188 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:11 pm

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Vuc
Gordon
Okeke
MLE/Ross
Paul

Vuc/?
Giannis/
(Gordon/Isaac)/Okeke
?
Paul/Fultz

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

It all depends on what the alternative is for how we spend that money.

Fournier + Aminu + DJ

or

Chris Paul

I take Chris Paul for 2 years. This is all operating under WeHam's mo of remaining competitive whilst rebuilding. And when he's not healthy, Fultz gets extra minutes. Bonus for everyone.

Chris Paul will likely be better than anyone currently on this team even up until he's fat and forty. I hate his attitude, but he can play with the best. Just gotta manage his load over the next few seasons or something.

If Isaac was healthy I’d really like that trade
Deal AG for a true wing (Oubre?)
Sign Luwawu with MLE

Paul/Luwawu/Oubre/Isaac/Vuc
With Fultz, Ross, Okeke, Bamba, #15 off the bench

That’s a pretty competitive team IMO

Not as high on the deal with Isaac being out though..
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,089

Post#189 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:46 pm

Tarheel wrote:

Chris Paul $44M
Vuc $22M
Isaac around $18M a year

I think Milwaukee is in such a **** position that they have to go and get CP3. It's going to be some combination of Bledsoe, Hill, Ersan/Donte and picks for it to work cap wise. Presti is going to get lucky to get off that contract because a playoff team with a star is needing to show they can make it work.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#190 » by Def Swami » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:29 pm

:lol:
Orlando Magic shooting guard Evan Fournier and his wife, Laura, have picked up a chic estate in Winter Park, FL, for $2.9 million.

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/orlando-magic-shooting-guard-evan-fournier-scores-winter-park-estate-for-2-9m/
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#191 » by thelead » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:47 pm

Def Swami wrote::lol:
Orlando Magic shooting guard Evan Fournier and his wife, Laura, have picked up a chic estate in Winter Park, FL, for $2.9 million.

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/orlando-magic-shooting-guard-evan-fournier-scores-winter-park-estate-for-2-9m/

I think I'm going to go follow the Heat... :banghead: ... but what's happening here is worse.

I can see it now... not only does buddy ball retire here, they go on to become GM and President.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#192 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:54 pm

He's picking up that option no doubt. I'd honestly wouldn't be shocked if we extended him.

His old house is beautiful and I use to see him more often late after Magic games and super early in the AM mid week. If this new house is the one I think it is he's moving a block down the street which is funny
cedric76
RealGM

Post#193 » by cedric76 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:25 pm

thelead wrote:

I think I'm going to go follow the Heat... :banghead: ... but what's happening here is worse.

I can see it now... not only does buddy ball retire here, they go on to become GM and President.

Him opting in is the best outcome possible for the Magic.

Great trading chip if needed

unleash Jett next seaon
thelead
RealGM

Post#194 » by thelead » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:27 pm

cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:

I hope so. I also wouldn't mind resigning him as a bench player but I don't see that as a likely outcome.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#195 » by cedric76 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:52 pm

thelead wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:I think I'm going to go follow the Heat... :banghead: ... but what's happening here is worse.

I hope so. I also wouldn't mind resigning him as a bench player but I don't see that as a likely outcome.

Evan won't be happy with a bench position, if this is what we offer he ll go somewhere else.

This is why i want to trade AG for levert or culver, we need to prepare for the pre Evan

Step 1: trade AG for levert or culver

Step 2: trade Evan s Expiring contract for assets

Step 3: keep grooming mo behind vuc

Step 4: build around the core :

Fultz
Levert/culver
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

unleash Jett next seaon
thelead
RealGM

Post#196 » by thelead » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:34 pm

cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Evan won't be happy with a bench position, if this is what we offer he ll go somewhere else.

This is why i want to trade AG for levert or culver, we need to prepare for the pre Evan

Fultz
Levert/culver
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

In fairness to Evan, we should look for a starting quality SG before benching him.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant

Post#197 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:39 pm

cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Fultz
Levert/culver
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

Only issue is 3 of the 5 "Core" players haven't shown you anything to say they're going to be "Core" players.

Isaac is injury prone there's no way around that and his offensive game is coming along painfully slow
Mo has effort issues, conditioning issues and is behind Vuc which this FO isn't going to trade
Okeke is coming off an ACL and will take a year if not 2 to get into the NBA game flow.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#198 » by cedric76 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:24 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
thelead wrote:

Fultz
Levert/culver
Chuma
Isaac
Mo

Only issue is 3 of the 5 "Core" players haven't shown you anything to say they're going to be "Core" players.

Isaac is injury prone there's no way around that and his offensive game is coming along painfully slow
Mo has effort issues, conditioning issues and is behind Vuc which this FO isn't going to trade
Okeke is coming off an ACL and will take a year if not 2 to get into the NBA game flow.

We ll find out very soon and the good thing is that they r still in their rookie contract

unleash Jett next seaon
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#199 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:23 pm

Here we are again. Another Weham offseason thread where we will try to convince ourselves that they will finally make serious changes to this roster. When in reality they will make small "8D" chess moves to seem ahead of the curve while actually being miles and miles behind.

Hope to be wrong, but I just don't think they are desperate enough yet. Maybe next offseason.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#200 » by fendilim » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:28 am

Fournier just purchased a 2.9m usd house

Return to Orlando Magic