ImageImageImage

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#281 » by JJP » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:22 am

After watching the Bucks get hosed against Miami, I suspect Giannis will look elsewhere after next season. Most beat writers think he will not sign an extension (even though Milwaukee can pay him much more money). He seems set on winning, and the current thinking is that he will test free agency.

Starting now, next season will be a giant Giannis-watch. Much like Lebron, Kawhi, and Davis, all had watches before they eventually signed with another team. All eyes will be on Giannis to decide something, and Milwaukee will be miserable until he does.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#282 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Pay up more than other teams to get Korver to sign with us? 39 years old, but great locker room guy, and can still run/shoot.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#283 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:09 am

With GIannis declaring his intent to stay in Milwaukee, and with Oladipo looking more of a real target for Miami, if Dallas intends to keep all their cap space to sign a max free agent in 2021, the next best big name available is Rudy Gobert. and that doesnt excite me one bit. The fit is questionable at best. Maybe Otto Porter Jr? Kelly Oubre?

I'd throw a huge offer for Duncan Robinson though and dare Miami to match.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#284 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:50 am

Another possible lowkey signing is probably Kent Bazemore. 3&D guy.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#285 » by JJP » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:12 pm

arkuo wrote:With GIannis declaring his intent to stay in Milwaukee, and with Oladipo looking more of a real target for Miami, if Dallas intends to keep all their cap space to sign a max free agent in 2021, the next best big name available is Rudy Gobert. and that doesnt excite me one bit. The fit is questionable at best. Maybe Otto Porter Jr? Kelly Oubre?

I would just add the obvious. It's really not what Giannis declares.... it's what he signs. Until that extension is signed, his comments are meaningless. Guys like Durant have said they same thing, only to bolt.

But assuming Giannis does sign an extension.... Gobert, probably not. Porter's health makes him risky. I'd like to have Oubre, but I'm guessing Phoenix tries to re-sign. I think Duncan Robinson is terrific, but likely a rotation player. Still, I'd love to have a player with a knock-down shot like that. Almost all of these players have some warts. Players like Holiday, McCollum, and Beal are more interesting, but they will get close to the max from someone. I'd love to have McCollum. Conley would be a good fit here, but he won't get the max and he's 33 right now.

It has always been hard for Dallas to compete in free agency. Still, in 2021 it will be important to sign a top-notch player for the Mavs. If Giannis commits to Milwaukee with an extension, I honestly can't predict how free agency plans out. However, I'm guessing the rumor mill have more clarity by next March or April.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#286 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:27 pm

JJP wrote:
arkuo wrote:With GIannis declaring his intent to stay in Milwaukee, and with Oladipo looking more of a real target for Miami, if Dallas intends to keep all their cap space to sign a max free agent in 2021, the next best big name available is Rudy Gobert. and that doesnt excite me one bit. The fit is questionable at best. Maybe Otto Porter Jr? Kelly Oubre?

I would just add the obvious. It's really not what Giannis declares.... it's what he signs. Until that extension is signed, his comments are meaningless. Guys like Durant have said they same thing, only to bolt.

But assuming Giannis does sign an extension.... Gobert, probably not. Porter's health makes him risky. I'd like to have Oubre, but I'm guessing Phoenix tries to re-sign. I think Duncan Robinson is terrific, but likely a rotation player. Still, I'd love to have a player with a knock-down shot like that. Almost all of these players have some warts. Players like Holiday, McCollum, and Beal are more interesting, but they will get close to the max from someone. I'd love to have McCollum. Conley would be a good fit here, but he won't get the max and he's 33 right now.

It has always been hard for Dallas to compete in free agency. Still, in 2021 it will be important to sign a top-notch player for the Mavs. If Giannis commits to Milwaukee with an extension, I honestly can't predict how free agency plans out. However, I'm guessing the rumor mill have more clarity by next March or April.

Duncan Robinson holds a lot of value with the team running the offense via Luka. But Im afraid you have to offer Harrison Barnes type of money for Miami to back off.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#287 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:20 pm

Giannis never said he wanted to resign with the Bucks. He only said he was not going to request a trade. He likely wants another crack a title run with his current team. If he gets bounced again next season I bet he still leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arkuo
General Manager

Post#288 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:24 pm

Mr B wrote:

Giannis never said he wanted to resign with the Bucks. He only said he was not going to request a trade. He likely wants another crack a title run with his current team. If he gets bounced again next season I bet he still leaves.

My point is that Mark Cuban needs to be prepared for such an eventuality. Instead of just spending another 8 seasons on Plan Powder 2.0 signing vets on one year deals gunning for the next big star to pair with Luka and KP. Luka will require his own max contact eventually so I hope they are able to get help soon that just sign aging vets to one year deals every season to keep the cap space open.

Even if Giannis decides to leave, pitches will be coming from Pat Riley and Jerry West. Where Donnie ranks among those GMs, I will let you be the judge of that. But Im not holding my breath given Miami and LA are in the mix.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#289 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:43 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:

My point is that Mark Cuban needs to be prepared for such an eventuality. Instead of just spending another 8 seasons on Plan Powder 2.0 signing vets on one year deals gunning for the next big star to pair with Luka and KP. Luka will require his own max contact eventually so I hope they are able to get help soon that just sign aging vets to one year deals every season to keep the cap space open.

Even if Giannis decides to leave, pitches will be coming from Pat Riley and Jerry West. Where Donnie ranks among those GMs, I will let you be the judge of that. But Im not holding my breath given Miami and LA are in the mix.

Oh I agree. They definitely need to have a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D ready time go if Giannis or any of their other options go off the board.

Could they talk 2 guys into signing in Dallas instead of just Giannis? If they can I’d love to see them target Jonathan Issac and Jrue Holiday.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#290 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:54 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Giannis never said he wanted to resign with the Bucks. He only said he was not going to request a trade. He likely wants another crack a title run with his current team. If he gets bounced again next season I bet he still leaves.

Oh I agree. They definitely need to have a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D ready time go if Giannis or any of their other options go off the board.

Could they talk 2 guys into signing in Dallas instead of just Giannis? If they can I’d love to see them target Jonathan Issac and Jrue Holiday.

Yeah those two would be perfect. Orlando might just give up on Isaac since he cant stay healthy to last an entire season.

Jrue is the perfect off ball guard next to Luka.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#291 » by Pinkyring » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:02 pm

Yeah I'd go all in on jrue 3/90 type deal that way we get a 3 yr run then he and kp come off the books together and we get to hit the market again with a ton of cap. I dont think a second kp contract will be an option unless its cheap
arkuo
General Manager

Post#292 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:22 pm

Maybe a 3 way deal where we send THJ (expiring) and then some to OKC so they can take out CP3's contract from their cap. CP3 lands in Milwaukee. Then we get Middleton. OKC has no use for a 30 year old Middleton for 4 more seasons. They have a ton of picks from the PG13 trade plus they need to develop SGA.
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#293 » by JJP » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:40 pm

I'm beginning to think we may need a new thread entitled "Re: 2021 Offseason Strategy Thread". That's where we are beginning to drift. It's hard not to really given the Giannis dominoes that will fall one way or the other.

Given arkuo's post above, I could actually envision some trade like that. OKC's rebuild and CP's contract will likely be in play somewhere. As a Maverick, however, I doubt Middleton would be a justifiable upgrade with that salary - one that balloons to 40 million in it's 4th year. That's more than double Hardaway's contract. It's a certainty that Middleton can't double the stat sheet. There may be other players that would allow more flexibility.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#294 » by Darren » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:50 pm

Giannis does not request trade from Bucks. This speaks volume. Giannis wants the supermax contract. The Mavs should not trade any picks to remove unwanted contract. Taking on contract for picks might be much better long-term.
Mr B
RealGM

2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#295 » by Mr B » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:05 pm

arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:

Yeah those two would be perfect. Orlando might just give up on Isaac since he cant stay healthy to last an entire season.

I believe Isaac is a RFA in 2021. I wonder how much Orlando would be willing match to keep him.

arkuo
General Manager

Post#296 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:14 pm

Mr B wrote:
arkuo wrote:
Mr B wrote:Oh I agree. They definitely need to have a Plan B, Plan C, and Plan D ready time go if Giannis or any of their other options go off the board.

I believe Isaac is a RFA in 2021. I wonder how much Orlando would be willing match to keep him.

Considering how they overpaid Vucevic when they seemed to be bidding against themselves, it would probably take a max for them to back off.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#297 » by arkuo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Jonathan Isaac is an interesting proposition. 2021 RFA coming from an ACL tear.

Do you max Isaac to get him out of Orlando? Pay over $20M?

I think it depends on his health, which no one but Isaac can confirm.

The eye test suggests he gets the same money as Pascal Siakam.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,902

Post#298 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Another option from Milwaukee is Eric Bledsoe. For the sake of the forum I'm not suggesting we trade for him but he's becoming available. I have his salary below and a link to the article.

2020-21: $16,875,000
2021-22: $18,125,000
2022-23: $19,375,000 {Non-Guaranteed}

https://theathletic.com/2056372/?source=twitterhq

dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,796

Post#299 » by dirkforpres » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:07 pm

HMFFL wrote:Another option from Milwaukee is Eric Bledsoe. For the sake of the forum I'm not suggesting we trade for him but he's becoming available. I have his salary below and a link to the article.

Horrid contract, but Divencenzo and Bledsoe for Powell, Wright, and 2 2nds would be a fair trade IMO
FIRE JASON KIDD
JJP
Pro Prospect

Post#300 » by JJP » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Another option from Milwaukee is Eric Bledsoe. For the sake of the forum I'm not suggesting we trade for him but he's becoming available. I have his salary below and a link to the article.

Horrid contract, but Divencenzo and Bledsoe for Powell, Wright, and 2 2nds would be a fair trade IMO

I'm not sure the Bucks would have much interest in either Powell or Wright. They would be willing to trade Bledsoe's defense for some reliable scoring options - but I don't see Powell or Wright as a solution to that problem.

Return to Dallas Mavericks