Who Should Be The Next Coach?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#41 » by HurricaneDij25 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 10:57 pm

Tom White wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:Udoka and Billups would be my top choices...

I'm not doubting your choices, but can you tell me why? What do you think each one would bring to the team?

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't know much at all about Udoka, but really enjoyed watching Billups as a player.

Udoka spent over a half decade learning from the best in the business in Popovich. And he's at the age where he can relate to the players.

Billups knows the culture here from his playoff battles. Plus, I think he could command a player's respect more than a guy like Nash, for instance. Just imagine how much the Pistons fans will hate us if we hire him. :D
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Sep 4, 2020 11:25 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I'm not doubting your choices, but can you tell me why? What do you think each one would bring to the team?

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't know much at all about Udoka, but really enjoyed watching Billups as a player.

Udoka spent over a half decade learning from the best in the business in Popovich. And he's at the age where he can relate to the players.

Billups knows the culture here from his playoff battles. Plus, I think he could command a player's respect more than a guy like Nash, for instance. Just imagine how much the Pistons fans will hate us if we hire him. :D

Same positive for Udoka is equally positive for Becky Hammon. She’s spent only one less year on the Spurs bench under Pop than Udoka.

Udoka apparently is a favorite for the Bulls job, and may have a chance at the Sixers job.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#43 » by Topofthekey » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:07 am

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

I'm sold. Shut up and take my money
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#44 » by Topofthekey » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:09 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Same positive for Udoka is equally positive for Becky Hammon. She’s spent only one less year on the Spurs bench under Pop than Udoka.

Udoka apparently is a favorite for the Bulls job, and may have a chance at the Sixers job.

Plus, I was browsing through the Pacers sub reddit the other day

Someone mentioned that the Trumpers would storm Banker's Life if they hired her

For that reason alone I would love to see the Pacers hire Becky Hammon lol

(yes I realize the other person was most likely jk)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 6, 2020 4:19 pm

https://www.indycornrows.com/2020/9/6/21422800/how-dan-craig-and-importing-heat-culture-could-improve-the-pacers

Caitlin Cooper with an in-depth wrote up on Dan Craig, the only reported interview thus far.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#46 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:https://www.indycornrows.com/2020/9/6/21422800/how-dan-craig-and-importing-heat-culture-could-improve-the-pacers

Caitlin Cooper with an in-depth wrote up on Dan Craig, the only reported interview thus far.
also has a D'Antoni article.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

Post#47 » by HurricaneDij25 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 7:03 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Can she really relate to the players though?

I blog about HS and college girls basketball in Northwest Indiana and am not sexist by any stretch of imagination, but it's just my opinion that playing in the NBA and playing in the WNBA is a little bit different.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:03 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:

Can she really relate to the players though?

I blog about HS and college girls basketball in Northwest Indiana and am not sexist by any stretch of imagination, but it's just my opinion that playing in the NBA and playing in the WNBA is a little bit different.

Many of her past players, including Pau Gasol, have laughed when being asked that question. She’s been a professional basketball player, and she’s been an nba coach for a long time now. She gets them. She’s also renowned for her communication skills and ability to quick diagnose problems. She’s really the next Pop lead assistant in line for a job.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#49 » by pacers33granger » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:33 pm

I don't know much about her coaching abilities other than she has gotten rave reviews from people in the know. But if we have players that can't relate to a coach based on gender regardless of their basketball knowledge, then that's a good opportunity to ship them out.

It's kind of funny that no one brings up a lack of playing in the NBA for the majority of the coaches in the league. Also kind of funny that playing in the NBA has been brought up as somewhat of a downside to certain candidates (i.e. "sure he played in the league, but coaching is different" - see Steve Nash recently).

Note - this isn't directed at anyone in this thread, just sentiments I've seen when her name gets brought up.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#50 » by Lazlo4D » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:50 pm

Haven't seen Billy Donovan's name posted yet. He has done a good job with OKC and maybe available very soon, for some reason.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/03/billy-donovan-thunder-future

Maybe he doesn't want to go thru an expected rebuild with OKC. They certainly exceeded expectations this season.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#51 » by Moooose » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:11 am

Lazlo4D wrote:Haven't seen Billy Donovan's name posted yet. He has done a good job with OKC and maybe available very soon, for some reason.

Maybe he doesn't want to go thru an expected rebuild with OKC. They certainly exceeded expectations this season.

I didn't know his contract was up. I'd personally prefer him over Atkinson, if that is the case.

Actually, I am also putting Hammon ahead of Atkinson. I have been watching interviews of them rumored candidates and Hammon's basketball knowledge is really something. She carries herself very well and definitely knows what she is talking about. I think we have a good group of guys who are professional enough to be able to work with her.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:06 am

Lazlo4D wrote:Haven't seen Billy Donovan's name posted yet. He has done a good job with OKC and maybe available very soon, for some reason.

Since you mention it:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#53 » by Lazlo4D » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:48 am

Looked it up,Billy Donovan has an impressive resume, the guy is 55 and can obviously coach. Have to think he is going to be in demand too.

Florida Gators
1996-2015 467 186 .715
1999-00 NCAA Final Four
2005-06 NCAA National Champion
2006-07 NCAA National Champion
2013-14 NCAA Final Four

OKC Thunder
2015-16 55 27 .671
2016-17 47 35 .573
2017-18 48 34 .585
2018-19 49 33 .595
2019-20 44 28 .611
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 12:34 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:Looked it up,Billy Donovan has an impressive resume, the guy is 55 and can obviously coach. Have to think he is going to be in demand too.

Florida Gators
1996-2015 467 186 .715
1999-00 NCAA Final Four
2005-06 NCAA National Champion
2006-07 NCAA National Champion
2013-14 NCAA Final Four

OKC Thunder
2015-16 55 27 .671
2016-17 47 35 .573
2017-18 48 34 .585
2018-19 49 33 .595
2019-20 44 28 .611

My concern is he basically coaches the nba like Nate McMillan. He coached his style and old school system and this year was basically saved with the re emergence of Chris Paul, a classic old school PG. Basically, he was Nate with the idea that the players should “just figure it out”.

Now, he’s probably better than Nate, but I just don’t know if we want to fire Nate and then hire essentially the same type of coach, but just a little better. Generally teams flip and hire the opposite of what they fired.

But, with only the one rumored interview so far, we have no idea what they’re looking for.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#55 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:53 pm

I looked up Donovan's assistants and Mo Cheeks was the lead, and I think he falls in the retread group. Donovan should probably go back to college.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#56 » by Moooose » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:My concern is he basically coaches the nba like Nate McMillan. He coached his style and old school system and this year was basically saved with the re emergence of Chris Paul, a classic old school PG. Basically, he was Nate with the idea that the players should “just figure it out”.

Now, he’s probably better than Nate, but I just don’t know if we want to fire Nate and then hire essentially the same type of coach, but just a little better. Generally teams flip and hire the opposite of what they fired.

But, with only the one rumored interview so far, we have no idea what they’re looking for.

I totally agree that he is a notch above McMillan. Honestly, in my personal list, there are only quite a few that I consider to be "better" choices than Nate.

I like Donovan because OKC always seem to do better in the playoffs. They lose in the playoffs everytime but they were always the darkhorse. I don't think he is as conservative as Nate is, and I would agree that he somehow let the players do their thing. I am impressed with how they saw the potential in Bazley and Dort (though Dort has the making of an NBA player even in college).

And one more reason I like him better than Atkinson is his connection with Domas and Vic, two of our core players. Maybe he can help Vic regain his all-star status?

If ever he gets the job, I hope he retains Dan Burke as an assistant.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod