ImageImage

Fake Trade Thread 2

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Re: Fake Trade Thread 2 

Post#1821 » by Braggins » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:28 pm

I think the plan if they got Hayward would be to trade him at the deadline.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1822 » by yosemiteben » Sun Sep 6, 2020 8:48 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:I don't want Hayward, we need to tank again next year. If we're moving anyone, I'd move Rozier for whatever pick we can get.

I thought that you hated tanking?

Oh I definitely do, but when we let Kemba walk that meant tanking was the only available strategy.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1823 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:00 pm

Was listening to a GSW podcast the other day ... and while they are definitely hoping for better things, one deal they threw out there was trading back with the Hornets. The deal was #2 for #3 and Cody Zeller (into their trade exception). IDK about you guys, but I would do that one in a heartbeat.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1824 » by yosemiteben » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:28 pm

My strategy in this draft would be to keep 3 but trade any of Cody, Terry, and a future lotto protected pick for another lotto pick in this draft. I really like the mid to lower lotto picks in this draft (one of Haliburton, Hayes, Vassel, and maybe Deni are likely available in that range).

We have no use for vets at this point, if the perception is this is a poor draft and teams are more willing to trade out let's take advantage.
spankymoore7
Rookie
And1: 324

Post#1825 » by spankymoore7 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:28 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Was listening to a GSW podcast the other day ... and while they are definitely hoping for better things, one deal they threw out there was trading back with the Hornets. The deal was #2 for #3 and Cody Zeller (into their trade exception). IDK about you guys, but I would do that one in a heartbeat.

I'm happy with Ball/Edwards/Hayes being the pick so I don't think we need to move up and I'm more interested in resigning Zeller or maybe trading him for something else
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#1826 » by LofJ » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:34 pm

yosemiteben wrote:My strategy in this draft would be to keep 3 but trade any of Cody, Terry, and a future lotto protected pick for another lotto pick in this draft. I really like the mid to lower lotto picks in this draft (one of Haliburton, Hayes, Vassel, and maybe Deni are likely available in that range).

We have no use for vets at this point, if the perception is this is a poor draft and teams are more willing to trade out let's take advantage.

The 2021 draft is loaded with good wings and the 2022 draft has Emoni Bates and could also be the double draft. I would really hesitate to trade a pick in either of those drafts. If we can't get another first by taking on bad salary I'd rather Mitch just stay the course.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1827 » by BigSlam » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:43 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:Was listening to a GSW podcast the other day ... and while they are definitely hoping for better things, one deal they threw out there was trading back with the Hornets. The deal was #2 for #3 and Cody Zeller (into their trade exception). IDK about you guys, but I would do that one in a heartbeat.

I’d suggested that a couple of weeks ago. I think Cody would be a great fit there for them.

Call me crazy, but I’d also wonder if they’d have interest in Bats. He could theoretically slide into that Iguodala role for them very, very well - a role that would be perfect for his skill set and approach to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,159

Post#1828 » by Rich4114 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:48 pm

That's interesting, but I feel like there'd need to be more to it than that. Cody would fit perfectly on a team like GS where he can just be their junkyard dog type guy and frees up our cap space for 2021 to actually add two max players if we wanted to our young, up and coming core. Not that we'd be able to bank on building a contender that way, but if we're one of the only teams in position to do it then it gives us a chance we've never had.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#1829 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:03 pm

BigSlam wrote:

I’d suggested that a couple of weeks ago. I think Cody would be a great fit there for them.

Call me crazy, but I’d also wonder if they’d have interest in Bats. He could theoretically slide into that Iguodala role for them very, very well - a role that would be perfect for his skill set and approach to the game.

#2, MIN 1st, Wiggins, Looney, Poole, other filler for #3, Batum, Zeller would be an instant yes for me. GS would even preserve their TPE in that scenario.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#1830 » by BeesWax » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:32 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

#2, MIN 1st, Wiggins, Looney, Poole, other filler for #3, Batum, Zeller would be an instant yes for me. GS would even preserve their TPE in that scenario.

I would leave out the three and throw in Bridges, who I don't think fits well with Washington, and see if they bite. Then we have the 2 and 3 and if Ball doesn't go 1 maybe we can move with the Knicks to 8 for some small return. Take Wiseman and Haliburton with the picks and just spend another year developing the young guys and be ready for next years loaded draft.
Spoiler:
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,535

Post#1831 » by HornetJail » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:46 pm

BeesWax wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BigSlam wrote:I’d suggested that a couple of weeks ago. I think Cody would be a great fit there for them.

I would leave out the three and throw in Bridges, who I don't think fits well with Washington, and see if they bite. Then we have the 2 and 3 and if Ball doesn't go 1 maybe we can move with the Knicks to 8 for some small return. Take Wiseman and Haliburton with the picks and just spend another year developing the young guys and be ready for next years loaded draft.

nah Bridges doesn't have that kind of value anywhere else unfortunately. Done deal for me if they offer it though
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1832 » by Braggins » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:03 pm

No way I'm giving up assets to move up in this draft.
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#1833 » by BeesWax » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:20 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:
BeesWax wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:#2, MIN 1st, Wiggins, Looney, Poole, other filler for #3, Batum, Zeller would be an instant yes for me. GS would even preserve their TPE in that scenario.

nah Bridges doesn't have that kind of value anywhere else unfortunately. Done deal for me if they offer it though

They can drop the Minny first as well. I don't see a need to slide up a spot but if we can fill two holes this offseason with quality young guys I am good.
Spoiler:
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1834 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:26 am

Braggins wrote:No way I'm giving up assets to move up in this draft.

I said almost exactly the same thing a few pages pack. I just don't view Cody as an asset the same way I do for the younger guys. Getting rid of Cody's salary would also allow the team to do other deals that might result in a 2021 pick. Stretch or trade Batum after that and the team could really do some interesting things with taking on a bad deal or two for young guys or picks.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,050

Post#1835 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:33 am

Although I wantbhim to be a Hornet lifer since that's such a rarity these days ill go ahead and predict Zeller won't be on our roster on opening night.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#1836 » by MasterIchiro » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 am

The 17 million TPE is not an asset?
It has been written...
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#1837 » by LofJ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:39 pm

If we draft Wiseman I hope we can move Zeller for Horford and draft assets. He's the exact type of player that Wiseman should model himself after. If Wiseman learns to pass as well as Horford we'll have a special player on our hands.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#1838 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:26 pm

LofJ wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:My strategy in this draft would be to keep 3 but trade any of Cody, Terry, and a future lotto protected pick for another lotto pick in this draft. I really like the mid to lower lotto picks in this draft (one of Haliburton, Hayes, Vassel, and maybe Deni are likely available in that range).

The 2021 draft is loaded with good wings and the 2022 draft has Emoni Bates and could also be the double draft. I would really hesitate to trade a pick in either of those drafts. If we can't get another first by taking on bad salary I'd rather Mitch just stay the course.

That's a good point, was more thinking a deferred pick like 2022 but forgot about the double draft (isn't that 2021? I don't remember). I'm not familiar at all with that draft.

I just echo the sentiment that it doesn't make sense to trade up in this draft unless it's using a vet that we don't want to retain.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1839 » by Braggins » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Braggins wrote:No way I'm giving up assets to move up in this draft.

I said almost exactly the same thing a few pages pack. I just don't view Cody as an asset the same way I do for the younger guys. Getting rid of Cody's salary would also allow the team to do other deals that might result in a 2021 pick. Stretch or trade Batum after that and the team could really do some interesting things with taking on a bad deal or two for young guys or picks.

Thats fair. I don't really care about Zeller. I also don't like any of the players I assume we would be trading up for and am happy with our spot at 3, as I kind of have been warming up to us just taking Okongwu, so I don't even care if Wiseman goes top 2. Id probably rather use Zeller in a different trade to try to get extra picks somewhere, but you can probably pull that off with the cap space we'd get with unloading Zeller anyways, so I guess it wouldnt really matter.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#1840 » by Braggins » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:19 am

LofJ wrote:If we draft Wiseman I hope we can move Zeller for Horford and draft assets. He's the exact type of player that Wiseman should model himself after. If Wiseman learns to pass as well as Horford we'll have a special player on our hands.

I think I want to do this regardless of who we draft. I'm not sure what the value of cap space is going to be going forward, so I could see this being off in either direction, but something like Zeller for Horford + Thybulle + 21 (or their 1st next year) doesn't seem unreasonable (I'd rather have the 2021 1st).

The only problem is that Horford is actually still a pretty good player, so he would hurt the tank. Add Horford, Thybulle, 3/21 picks, and some improvement from the young guys, and Borrego might be able to sneak that bunch into the playoffs, or at the very least be in the 35 win range.

Return to Charlotte Hornets