Oladipo Trade Ideas

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Oladipo Trade Ideas 

Post#1 » by OnFire » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:14 pm

Bleacher Report came out with an article on trade suggestions for all 30 teams.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2907190-1-blockbuster-trade-idea-for-every-nba-team

They mentioned:

IND trades with MIA

The Trade: Victor Oladipo to Heat for Kendrick Nunn, Duncan Robinson and Kelly Olynyk

The Pacers are motoring toward a crossroads with Oladipo—and they only have so much control over this situation. It's probably in his best financial interest to decline any extension offer this offseason, which means he's likely looking at unrestricted free agency after next season. There have been rumblings that he "didn't plan on re-signing," per The Athletic's Sam Amick, which gives Indiana plenty to think about.

"We don't feel any rush to make a quick decision on Victor. We have him for another year. After next year we can engage in negotiations. But it will be up to him," Pacers president of basketball operations Kevin Pritchard told reporters.

If Indy thinks Oladipo is leaving—or isn't sure about giving max money to someone who is still dealing with the aftereffects of a January 2019 knee injury and doesn't have a huge sample of stardom—then trading him now is the right call.

Miami adds its third star to complement Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo, and it doesn't even have to sacrifice Tyler Herro to do it. Indiana adds three players it can plug into next season's rotation, as Robinson is an elite shooter, Nunn is a clever shot-maker and Olynyk can take on stretch-center duties if the Pacers reconfigure their frontcourt

MIN trades with IND

Trade: Jarrett Culver, James Johnson and No. 1 pick to Pacers for Victor Oladipo

The Timberwolves are both on the clock and open for business.

"Sources around the league expect that [Timberwolves president Gersson Rosas will] work the phones over the next couple of months at least to see what's out there on the market," The Athletic's Sam Vecenie wrote. "The consensus around the league is that this will simply be a value play for Rosas."

Could Minnesota value Oladipo more than Culver and the No. 1 pick? Absolutely. Minnesota needs to win sooner than later to justify the D'Angelo Russell trade, and that gets a lot easier with a third star—especially one who defends. If Oladipo gets back to his All-Star form, he's almost a player with no weaknesses.

Now, could Indiana value this package over Oladipo? Sure. The pick might bring the next star to the Hoosier State, Culver is one year removed from being the sixth overall pick, and Johnson's expiring $16 million salary will look awfully attractive to any team trying to maximize its cap space for 2021.

TOR trades with IND

The Trade: Fred VanVleet (sign-and-trade) to Pacers for Victor Oladipo

The Raptors have carefully managed their cap—all in preparation of an ambitious run at Giannis Antetokounmpo in 2021—to the point they don't have many big contracts to throw around in a blockbuster. Pascal Siakam is going nowhere, Kyle Lowry is approaching the final year of his pact, and Norman Powell isn't netting them a difference-maker.

So, a sign-and-swap with VanVleet must suffice, and it might pique the Pacers' interest as their best option for moving on without Oladipo. Having VanVleet and Malcolm Brogdon in the same backcourt creates major versatility at both ends of the court, and each is a sharp enough shooter to increase the potency of Domantas Sabonis' passing.

Rather than paying VanVleet, Toronto takes a one-year flier on Oladipo to remain in championship contention and maintain maximum flexibility for what it hopes can be a transformational offseason. Assuming the Raptors have already budgeted for a new deal with VanVleet, this could actually increase the Raptors' buying power and maybe gets them an in with Oladipo, who wouldn't be a bad consolation prize if Antetokounmpo declines a trip north of the border.

Don't like the MIA trade but I like the next two. The MIN trade allows us to flip the pick for even greater value; and the TOR deal is solid with how VanVleet has been ballin'.

Your thoughts. 8-)
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Oladipo Trade Ideas 

Post#2 » by Wizop » Sat Sep 5, 2020 3:42 pm

I don't like the Toronto trade but would do the other two. FVV is due a big pay day and as good as he his I don't think he has a higher ceiling than Aaron. they are both small but strong guards. now when we took Aaron I had texted a pick or two before that I was happy with anyone other than him, but his improvement is undeniable..

Okay, I prefer Herro to Robinson but Olynyk can play with either Turner or Sabonis.

I've written elsewhere that I think the MN trade would only work if the team played in a different market.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#3 » by Topofthekey » Sat Sep 5, 2020 5:04 pm

The article also suggested Bulls trade Markkanen and Lavine to Timberwolves for Culver, Johnson, and #1 - which is the same package they suggested Wolves send out for Vic

I'd rather have Markkanen and Lavine over Culver, Johnson, and #1
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#4 » by Moooose » Sun Sep 6, 2020 2:54 am

Personally, I don't think Vic's trade value is that much right now. It all depends on his recovery and I think the Pacers have until February next year to figure out what to do with him.

I don't see Miami and Minnesota doing those trades for Dipo. The one for VanVleet, maybe, if the Raptors are going all in. But they got some other options. Maybe better options.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#5 » by Lazlo4D » Sun Sep 6, 2020 7:06 am

Moooose wrote:Personally, I don't think Vic's trade value is that much right now. It all depends on his recovery and I think the Pacers have until February next year to figure out what to do with him.

Agreed... If they decide to trade him, wait until early next season. This draft is weak and Pacers don't need players or prospects now anyway.

Next season is probably not starting until close to Jan 2021, Oladipo should be full strength by that time. Let him play some games to increase his value. A few teams might then view him in a better light and be willing to overpay.

Even if Oladipo walks away for nothing after next season (and no other major trades), at the start of 2022 FA, the Pacers would have Brogdan, Sabonis, Turner, Goga, A. Holiday, their 2021 #1 & their 2022 #1 under contract for around $ 75M in total salaries.

Plus Bird Rights to Warren, Lamb, Sumner, & Leif. That's not a bad core and options to have with a lot of cap space.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Sep 6, 2020 3:06 pm

I just don't love any deal that splits Oladipo (or Turner or whomever) into 2 or 3 smaller pieces that really just compete with Sumner/McConnell/Holiday/Holiday/McDermott on the bench. Do we think that Aaron is ready to truly step up and start at the 1/2 with Brogdon and help come close to replacing what Oladipo could do? You can only roster 15 guys, and I hate the concept of rostering 11 usable to good backups, but then being short a starter you really need.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#7 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 7, 2020 11:26 pm

Full irony mode. Oladipo for Ibaka.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:29 am

Wizop wrote:Full irony mode. Oladipo for Ibaka.

Sent from my phone.

Ibaka is a free agent. And really a pure 5 at this point in his career. Sabonis for a 2 guard then?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#9 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:32 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Full irony mode. Oladipo for Ibaka.

Sent from my phone.

Ibaka is a free agent. And really a pure 5 at this point in his career. Sabonis for a 2 guard then?
Wasn't a serious proposal. Just remembering that Orlando did trade Vic [and Damos] for Ibaka.

Watching Toronto though Boucher might fit. Miami's Derrick Jones and Denver's Grant probably going nowhere but also fit.

Sent from my phone.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#10 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:41 am

And the more I watch Toronto with Lowry and FVV the more hope I have for Aaron. He's built like FVV. Now I'm not saying he's on their level but I can see why Quinn has been impressed and Nate played him ahead of older guys.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:53 am

Aaron really impressed me this year in spite of being jerked around from role to role based on injuries and team needs.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Topofthekey » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:28 am

Someone on Pacers subreddit also mentioned, Myles looked best as a rookie under Vogel

Perhaps it's no coincidence that he "regressed" under Nate

I hope the next HC can bring out the potential in Myles, Aaron, and Goga
Wizop
RealGM

Post#13 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 8, 2020 2:48 am

Topofthekey wrote:Someone on Pacers subreddit also mentioned, Myles looked best as a rookie under Vogel
Myles played 4 his rookie year if I remember correctly.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Sep 8, 2020 1:27 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Someone on Pacers subreddit also mentioned, Myles looked best as a rookie under Vogel

Perhaps it's no coincidence that he "regressed" under Nate

I hope the next HC can bring out the potential in Myles, Aaron, and Goga

I don’t know if it’s that he looked his best, so much as he had no expectations and was basically told to just go block some shots and score where you can. He wasn’t really asked to defend more than just help side or play in an offensive system. But, Vogel also made a ton of play calls, so that probably serves Myles well to hide in a scheme and not have to process.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#15 » by Guzman_9 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:15 pm

The Mia trade HAS to include Herro. If not you ride Oladipo until another trade is here or FA.

I would do the MIN trade easily. You could send that pick out for a star or trade back for like Lavine and 4.

I would not do Tor trade. Pacers would be very undersized.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:19 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:The Mia trade HAS to include Herro. If not you ride Oladipo until another trade is here or FA.

I would do the MIN trade easily. You could send that pick out for a star or trade back for like Lavine and 4.

The 1 in this draft isn’t returning a Star. Oladipo’s about the best anyone could hope for in return for the 1 this year. And Chicago isn’t doing 4/Lavine for 1. Probably not doing Lauri/4 for 1 either.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#17 » by Guzman_9 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:The Mia trade HAS to include Herro. If not you ride Oladipo until another trade is here or FA.

The 1 in this draft isn’t returning a Star. Oladipo’s about the best anyone could hope for in return for the 1 this year. And Chicago isn’t doing 4/Lavine for 1. Probably not doing Lauri/4 for 1 either.

Apparently Bulls are super high on Lamelo. They would definitely make that trade. Lavine is suppose to be on the trade block.
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:15 pm

Guzman_9 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Apparently Bulls are super high on Lamelo. They would definitely make that trade. Lavine is suppose to be on the trade block.

I don’t believe that they would and that hasn’t really been reported. Just some reporters guessing it could happen, but there’s not really reason to as of now. If Chicago did A Lavine/4 for 1, they would want some value back, AND we would have to send a good amount of salary to match legally. Technically, Lamb/Leaf match salary, but how much more do we have to send to pay off them taking Lamb and Leaf? Aaron Holiday and a future 1st? You doing that?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by Topofthekey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:57 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Guzman_9 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I don’t believe that they would and that hasn’t really been reported. Just some reporters guessing it could happen, but there’s not really reason to as of now. If Chicago did A Lavine/4 for 1, they would want some value back, AND we would have to send a good amount of salary to match legally. Technically, Lamb/Leaf match salary, but how much more do we have to send to pay off them taking Lamb and Leaf? Aaron Holiday and a future 1st? You doing that?

Would the Bulls do

Vic + Warren + Leaf for Lavine + Markkanen + Thad + #4

We then flip Markkanen + Thad + #4 to Wolves for Layman + Spellman + #1

Draft Anthony Edwards with #1

We end up with

Domas / Goga / Spellman
Myles / Layman / Sampson
Edwards / Doug / Justin
Lavine / Lamb / Sumner
Brogdon / Aaron / TJM

Three pure bigs in Domas, Myles, and Goga, and three small ball bigs in Spellman, Layman, and Sampson

Plenty of shooting and depth on the wings with Lamb, Doug, and Justin

Good bucket getters in Lavine, Edwards, and Sumner, and good ball handlers in Brogdon, TJM, and Aaron

The tier 3 players here are all pretty good as well, so you can do another consolidation trade or two, to get better tier 2 players (aka trade two tier 2 players for one better tier 2 player, and move a tier 3 player up)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:30 pm

With the way Herro has been playing, I almost think we could mark off Miami from the list of potential Oladipo suitors. I think they’d do better with a Dragic like distributor than another potential creator like Oladipo.

Return to Indiana Pacers