Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: The D'Angelo Russell Thread 

Post#81 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:40 pm

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Well we probably don't get Russell without first doing the Covington trade. So really we would've had the right personnel, or at least much closer to what we wanted.

I honestly don't know why they waited until the trade deadline to move Covington. He was well rumored to be on his way somewhere as soon as the prior season ended. But I suppose all those moves that ended up happening took time and the other teams maybe weren't ready. What a year of changeover nevertheless under Rosas. From the first months straight on through the deadline. Wondering if they settle down now or not.

I doubt it.

I wouldn't get attached to anyone on this roster outside of KAT and DLo.

With the way so many are wanting to draft ball dominant guards with the #1 frp I'm starting to detach from the Dlo/Towns trip too. It's possible they screw this all up with moves and nothing looks better next year. After all the assurances in posts last year and rationalizations for the players they brought in last offseason, I believe next to nil now.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#82 » by shangrila » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:10 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
I honestly don't know why they waited until the trade deadline to move Covington. He was well rumored to be on his way somewhere as soon as the prior season ended. But I suppose all those moves that ended up happening took time and the other teams maybe weren't ready. What a year of changeover nevertheless under Rosas. From the first months straight on through the deadline. Wondering if they settle down now or not.

I doubt it.

With the way so many are wanting to draft ball dominant guards with the #1 frp I'm starting to detach from the Dlo/Towns trip too. It's possible they screw this all up with moves and nothing looks better next year. After all the assurances in posts last year and rationalizations for the players they brought in last offseason, I believe next to nil now.

I wouldn't get caught up with what fans want. The FO has been very clear about how they view DLo and KAT as the foundational pieces of the team.

But even a fan favourite like Beasley isn't guaranteed to come back.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#83 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:26 am

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:I doubt it.

I wouldn't get caught up with what fans want. The FO has been very clear about how they view DLo and KAT as the foundational pieces of the team.

You say "fan favourite" like he's not actually good enough or not actually exactly what the team has been saying they want on the roster. If he's a fan favorite already in his short time here, it's because he works hard on the court and he shoots like very few have here. Sure, let's toss that away.

1-3-1 system loaded with wings that can shoot 3s. 40-45 a game chasing the Rockets dream who right now in the playoffs have been throwing up 50+ a game. To get anywhere near having a worthwhile roster for a 1-3-1 5 out offense this team needs as many shooters as they can find and they don't have the luxury of not bringing back someone like Beasley who was a major piece of the trading around deadline time. To even fathom not bringing him back and instead keeping players like Culver who can't hit a FT much less 3s, or Okogie who's best improvement has been increasing his vert and finishing at the rim...or drafting low percentage chuckers, it just boils me over. Why should I believe the team and their stories about what they are building if they let a shooter like Beasley go now? You tell me.

I'm constantly reminded by posters here that they have no recognition of the fact this team has been a loser this long because of not having respectable reliable pressure shooters. Listen to these draft dreams for all these players that can't prove a shot yet. It's the same story year after year. S

Maybe the only way I see someone being foolish enough not finding a way to extend Beasley here is if they absolutely have to use him in a sign/trade to get another "star" here and I use that term loosely as it might be someone like Simmons if not a Booker. But if they get Simmons, they are going to need a Beasley more than ever.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#84 » by King Malta » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:42 am

shangrila wrote:

Agree, D'Lo and KAT won't be going anywhere soon.

Not only are they the foundational pieces this front office seems to want to build around, but they're also mutual anchors for each other, keeping both of them in Minnesota. Given how much of a big deal they've both made of finally being able to play together, I highly doubt one leaves the other at the first opportunity.

They'll both see out the rest of their max contracts here, at the very least IMO.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#85 » by Klomp » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:51 am

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

You say "fan favourite" like he's not actually good enough or not actually exactly what the team has been saying they want on the roster. If he's a fan favorite already in his short time here, it's because he works hard on the court and he shoots like very few have here. Sure, let's toss that away.

1-3-1 system loaded with wings that can shoot 3s. 40-45 a game chasing the Rockets dream who right now in the playoffs have been throwing up 50+ a game. To get anywhere near having a worthwhile roster for a 1-3-1 5 out offense this team needs as many shooters as they can find and they don't have the luxury of not bringing back someone like Beasley who was a major piece of the trading around deadline time. To even fathom not bringing him back and instead keeping players like Culver who can't hit a FT much less 3s, or Okogie who's best improvement has been increasing his vert and finishing at the rim...or drafting low percentage chuckers, it just boils me over. Why should I believe the team and their stories about what they are building if they let a shooter like Beasley go now? You tell me.

I'm constantly reminded by posters here that they have no recognition of the fact this team has been a loser this long because of not having respectable reliable pressure shooters. Listen to these draft dreams for all these players that can't prove a shot yet. It's the same story year after year. S

Maybe the only way I see someone being foolish enough not finding a way to extend Beasley here is if they absolutely have to use him in a sign/trade to get another "star" here and I use that term loosely as it might be someone like Simmons if not a Booker. But if they get Simmons, they are going to need a Beasley more than ever.

The point is that if he follows what happened in Houston post-Harden trade, basically anyone not a foundational piece is interchangeable.

Courtney Lee was a 40% 3-point shooter for two seasons in Houston....traded when his rookie extension was about to kick in for a bunch of prospects. Traded away both Patrick Beverley and Lou Williams in Chris Paul trade.

Now, you're probably right that the odds of Beasley staying around are fairly high (unless he overprices himself). He probably sits more in the Eric Gordon camp, as someone they targeted and will stay around for awhile. But I would still put those players in a different category than Towns and Russell here or Harden in Houston.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shangrila
RealGM

Post#86 » by shangrila » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:11 am

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

...what the **** are you even talking about?

Calling him a fan favourite isn't a statement of his abilities or whether I personally think he should come back. How do you even make that leap in logic?

If you want to strawman me you can screw off. Either debate the points I make or don't bother replying.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,699

Post#87 » by minimus » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:05 pm

Rosas and Gupta are sitting on assets right now. Beasley after his short stint in MIN is a valuable asset as well. Yes, as a shooter he has a lot of value for MIN, yes, re-signing Beasley is a top priority. I cannot even imagine which way Rosas will choose.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#88 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:30 pm

shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:I wouldn't get caught up with what fans want. The FO has been very clear about how they view DLo and KAT as the foundational pieces of the team.

Calling him a fan favourite isn't a statement of his abilities or whether I personally think he should come back. How do you even make that leap in logic?

If you want to strawman me you can screw off. Either debate the points I make or don't bother replying.

Hey I apologize if you took that personally or what you said. It wasn't meant as directed at you that way. I just read "fan favorite" so offten used as a knock here and that's what I'm talking about. I should have started it with "IF how you are using fan favourite is as if he's..." My mistake. People talked about LaVine the same way, "fan favorite" because he was so flashy but the diehards and team didn't actually think he was that skilled and knew better that Wiggins was the key to the future. That sort of thing. Not trying to strawman you at all. I'm talking about whether or not this team will put the importance on shooting that their story about offense plans demands. I know you only simply said he's not guaranteed to come back. I know you aren't making any further claims by saying that. I just want everyone to understand what letting a player with those skills go would mean about believing Rosas stated plans or not. Because a lot of posters don't seem to think it's a big deal. Some already want to make him a 6th man and give his starting minutes to a rookie at minimum.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#89 » by shangrila » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:16 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Hey I apologize if you took that personally or what you said. It wasn't meant as directed at you that way. I just read "fan favorite" so offten used as a knock here and that's what I'm talking about. I should have started it with "IF how you are using fan favourite is as if he's..." My mistake. People talked about LaVine the same way, "fan favorite" because he was so flashy but the diehards and team didn't actually think he was that skilled and knew better that Wiggins was the key to the future. That sort of thing. Not trying to strawman you at all. I'm talking about whether or not this team will put the importance on shooting that their story about offense plans demands. I know you only simply said he's not guaranteed to come back. I know you aren't making any further claims by saying that. I just want everyone to understand what letting a player with those skills go would mean about believing Rosas stated plans or not. Because a lot of posters don't seem to think it's a big deal. Some already want to make him a 6th man and give his starting minutes to a rookie at minimum.

All good.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by Klomp » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 9, 2020 6:13 pm

Interesting look back

ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#93 » by ChiefKeith91 » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:32 am

Dlo is a 3rd option at best on a winning team. His all star season happen because he had a serious threat behind him (Dinwiddie) and knew he had to play damn near perfect to finish out games late. He's chucking shots and not playing defense because he knows their is no KAT right now, Saunders likes him shooting ability and there isn't anyone better.

His weaknesses:
-He doesn't get to the FT line or slash (Fear of another knee injury)
-Horrible off ball defender (Ball watching)
-Careless TO's (Trying to make the Flashy pass instead of the right one)
-Thinks he's a superstar and should get certain calls
-Athleticism (Never worked on his lower body)
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#94 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:04 am

Dlo is not even a 3rd option on a winning team. Dlo is a Lou Williams type of player. Remember when people thought that Lou Williams was more than what he really is?

A good bench scorer, a great one actually.

Is a matter of time now until he finds his role and accepts to be a 6th man. Or otherwise, owners and GM's are going to show him that in his next contract. Or maybe not, there's always a team overpaying for mediocricy (see the Wolves)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#95 » by Jedzz » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:07 am

These last two posts, Mercgold and ChiefKeith, I think you guys could have been surprised by him this year if Rosas had not ruined this offseason and roster construction.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#96 » by Heimdal » Sat Jan 2, 2021 7:13 am

Read on Twitter
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,652

Post#97 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:36 pm

He litterally sinks the team down the rabbit hole every time he was running the "point". Its insane how much better we looked and were gaining on wizards, whenever he was out and Rubio/Jmac were playing basic team ball instead.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#98 » by PharmD » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:18 pm

PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#99 » by PharmD » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:19 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:He litterally sinks the team down the rabbit hole every time he was running the "point". Its insane how much better we looked and were gaining on wizards, whenever he was out and Rubio/Jmac were playing basic team ball instead.

He doesn't do anything of value off the ball either.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#100 » by Dual » Sat Jan 2, 2021 4:25 pm

He is untradable, so for the best of the team is necessary to find him a role he can be great at. I think he is a good spot up shooter. Sg should be his position but I believe Beasley is better than him in both ends, at least he try harder. So as I said at the begining of the season his role should be 6th man scoring guard like Lou Williams.
Right now it don't matter what money he earns, if we want to win we have to change a lot of things, and one should be this.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves