Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,900

Giannis Thread - 2 Time MVP - The Contract discussions 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:51 pm

Other thread maxed out
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Re: Giannis Thread - MVP & DPOY 

Post#2 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:55 pm

I think his biggest adjustment this summer has to be working on his midrange game and free throws.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#3 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:18 pm

No idea what happened to that one-legged fadeaway, free-throw line jumper that he was starting to hit with regularity. It's like the free throw struggles killed his confidence in everything else.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#4 » by Bucksfan28 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:20 pm

I dont know if Giannis will ever have the touch to be a threatening midrange shooter, but I said this earlier in the season: would love to see him try and develop a Duncan-esque bank shot from 10-15 ft.
MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,017

Post#5 » by FrieAaron » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:26 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:I dont know if Giannis will ever have the touch to be a threatening midrange shooter, but I said this earlier in the season: would love to see him try and develop a Duncan-esque bank shot from 10-15 ft.

Agree. Would help him conserve some energy too if he could just work in the post instead of always relying on blowing by people.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,561

Post#6 » by chonestown » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:27 pm

My feeling is Bucks have to extend Giannis. Worth the max imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

MickeyDavis: "OT Pants is gone forever. Cherish the Memory." (3/28/23)
lvckv
Starter
And1: 2,031

Post#7 » by lvckv » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:33 pm

That's not even a question, is it? The question is whether he wants to.

If he says yes then do it right away. If he wants to wait, or see what happens next playoffs, then we have to trade him asap.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#8 » by machu46 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:11 pm

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/9/21429212/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-free-agency

New piece from Kevin O'Connor about Giannis and about the Bucks.

Cliff notes:

1. Bucks are viewed by league sources as the "clear favorite" for Giannis in 2021.
2. Teams that will reportedly pursue Giannis: Miami, Golden State, Toronto, Dallas, and the LA Clippers (specifically mentions that a league source says Giannis has "an admiration" for Doc Rivers.
3. Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday are considered out of reach for Milwaukee.
4. Says pursuing CP3 is the obvious move and projects an offer of Bledsoe, Hill, DiVincenzo, and DJ Wilson to make salaries work, though he says a third team could be required so that OKC doesn't have to take all of those contracts themselves. He says Philly and possibly the New York Knicks could also pursue CP3.
5. If not CP3, the likely targets are Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
TD75
General Manager
And1: 5,886

Post#9 » by TD75 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:17 pm

machu46 wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/9/21429212/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-free-agency

Cliff notes:

1. Bucks are viewed by league sources as the "clear favorite" for Giannis in 2021.
2. Teams that will reportedly pursue Giannis: Miami, Golden State, Toronto, Dallas, and the LA Clippers (specifically mentions that a league source says Giannis has "an admiration" for Doc Rivers.
3. Mike Conley and Jrue Holiday are considered out of reach for Milwaukee.
4. Says pursuing CP3 is the obvious move and projects an offer of Bledsoe, Hill, DiVincenzo, and DJ Wilson to make salaries work, though he says a third team could be required so that OKC doesn't have to take all of those contracts themselves. He says Philly and possibly the New York Knicks could also pursue CP3.
5. If not CP3, the likely targets are Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills.

Hmm, I really like Patty Mills. Not sure about the contract situation though..
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: wtf is a "fit" with Giannis. hes an amazing talent but he is being over utilized offensively and too many other guys are taking flak for our failures on that end.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,612

Post#10 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:18 pm

machu46 wrote:5. If not CP3, the likely targets are Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills.

I'm listening.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#11 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:19 pm

Unless something miraculous happens the best case scenario for the Bucks is hoping 36 year old Chris Paul can be the saviour. I know people just mentioned on the locked thread they'd be disappointed in Giannis leaving without acknowledging his own poor play, but it's going to be pretty hard to convince a guy to stay if that's your best option.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#12 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:22 pm

machu46 wrote:https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/9/21429212/giannis-antetokounmpo-milwaukee-bucks-free-agency

That's a very balanced article. Doesn't really give anyone too much credit or blame. This was a pretty insightful comment about Bud's minutes and rotations:

daskghfoignoin wrote:"After all, no amount of minutes would have given Giannis a threatening jump shot or turned Bledsoe into a reliable playmaker or made Middleton a top go-to scoring option."

But they don't deny that minutes and rotations were a concern.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#13 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:27 pm

TD75 wrote:
Hmm, I really like Patty Mills. Not sure about the contract situation though..

One year at just over $13m? Seems fine to me. That's exactly the type of trade where you can try to get rid of Bledsoe's salary without being too obvious of a cost-cutting move, which could alienate Giannis. Not saying the Spurs would want Bledsoe, but there are about a half-dozen possible third teams that could make it work.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#14 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:31 pm

Guys, let's try to keep this the Giannis thread. All the trade stuff is in the trade thread. Thanks :)
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,780

Post#15 » by RiotPunch » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:35 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
machu46 wrote:5. If not CP3, the likely targets are Dennis Schroder, Derrick Rose, and Patty Mills.

I'm listening.

CP3
Dennis Schroder
Derrick Rose

PATTY MILLS

#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#16 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:36 pm

All these guys are being discussed in the trade thread. So let's keep this on GIannis. I'll move any future non Giannis posts when appropriate :)
blazza18
RealGM

Post#17 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:41 pm

Giannis has gotta be better. We also need to put him in situations where he'll be more successful.

Read on Twitter
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#18 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:28 pm

I think Giannis made up his mind to stay in Milwaukee a long time ago and just wants to make sure the owners don't get cheap. He also seems like the type of guy who would say that everyone on the team deserves a chance to redeem themselves. I think he likes being the only superstar.

It does seem plausible that he would not extend this fall/winter just because the bargaining terms are so unsettled. I expect them to smooth out the cap, which would make it easier to run business as usual instead of completely screwing over players who are due for new deals in the next year or two. But revenue will clearly be down and is likely to affect the super-max numbers at least a little, even with some adjustments, so I could see a 1+1 deal coming.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,296

Post#19 » by jute2003 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:No idea what happened to that one-legged fadeaway, free-throw line jumper that he was starting to hit with regularity. It's like the free throw struggles killed his confidence in everything else.
Did he ever really get close to serviceable with that though? Maybe I am just remembering when he first started shooting it but it was not a good shot.
only a fan, only an opinion
blazza18
RealGM

Post#20 » by blazza18 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:52 pm

jute2003 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:No idea what happened to that one-legged fadeaway, free-throw line jumper that he was starting to hit with regularity. It's like the free throw struggles killed his confidence in everything else.
Did he ever really get close to serviceable with that though? Maybe I am just remembering when he first started shooting it but it was not a good shot.

He was getting really good from there and was growing in confidence. He destroyed both OKC and Charlotte with mid-range post ups back in February and we rarely went back there after.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks