ImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What kind of player do you think we need most?

Point Guard
13%
Scoring Guard
62%
Great Shooter
18%
3&D Wing
7%

Total votes: 61

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Re: Official 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1401 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:54 pm

Unless I’m misinterpreting, it doesn’t seem like anyone is comparing Terry to Trae outside of their body types. That would be really lofty expectations for a 15th pick. I have seen some McCollum comparisons though

A DJ Augustine or JJ type at pick 15 seems like good value.. especially for a shooting starved team
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1402 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:21 pm

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1403 » by basketballRob » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:42 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:I like him. Id love to roll the dice on him but no way our front office even gives him a look

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app

160 pounds guard. Good luck with that.

Even after all the crow you had to eat about Trae Young you still have this view . Id rather take my chances on him putting on some weight then adding another player who needs to put on a jump shot. To be clear I dont think hes gonna be as good as Trae as he was a cant miss in my eyes. This kid is far from that. Its unlikly we are getting much more then a rotation guy at 15. If thats what we are getting then Id love that rotation guy be a shooter walking through the door.
He looks like a good shooter, but we haven't had too much luck with drafting players that aren't physically ready for the NBA. That's why i like Maxey, he's 200 lbs. He's ready to step in and play 20+ minutes from day 1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#1404 » by pepe1991 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:54 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
Even after all the crow you had to eat about Trae Young you still have this view :lol: . Id rather take my chances on him putting on some weight then adding another player who needs to put on a jump shot. To be clear I dont think hes gonna be as good as Trae as he was a cant miss in my eyes. This kid is far from that. Its unlikly we are getting much more then a rotation guy at 15. If thats what we are getting then Id love that rotation guy be a shooter walking through the door.

He is nowhere near as gifted scorer nor passer compared to Trae. Also pls call me out once Trae leads his team pass second round. It will probably take decade or so.
Sill trash defender ( actually by most advanced stats the worst individual defender in basketball) , all his points come from usage, usage that leads to deep lottery. On East.

I might undervalued him, but he is still nowhere near as good as his stats might suggest. Just like Collins isn't as good as his stats look ( same team, same crap)

Didn't you say a week ago Pepe that you'd take a flyer on Tyrell Terry at 15 and be done with it?

Personally , I think he's very behind in physical development (has since grown to 6'3" apparently and still growing), I don't think his current physical form is very indicative of how he can end up. He's not as good as his stats, because a lot of his stats paint him as one of college basketball's most potent offensive weapons and with defensive win shares much better than the eye test can confirm. He's probably not that, but it does point to a player who, with improved physique and work on his handle, can be at minimum a rotation combo guard in the pros, with a ceiling considerably higher.

He's in the mix for me at 15.

First player i wanted was Shaddiq Bey but it seems like his value is dropping.
I did make a case for Terry based on his shooting. But man oh man he is thiny,skinny guy.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
BlueBlazer
Sophomore
And1: 87

Post#1405 » by BlueBlazer » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:54 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Being Fournier just bought a house for $2.9 mil, I reckon he plans to stay with the Magic for a while.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/real-estate/luxury-real-estate/sns-rdc-orlando-magic-evan-fournier-winter-park-florida-home-20200908-acehi2n3mze6tk22dytco6ijrm-story.html

Christ Almighty :roll:
“I thought our Director of Scouting was just another name for a tape measure.” - StanVanGandhi
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#1406 » by SOUL » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:59 pm

Eh, people buy houses all the time especially in the Orlando area. I mean, I still think Fournier is coming back just because it's a lot of money but I also think he'd stay in the area if he went to another team.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#1407 » by basketballRob » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:20 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
He is nowhere near as gifted scorer nor passer compared to Trae. Also pls call me out once Trae leads his team pass second round. It will probably take decade or so.
Sill trash defender ( actually by most advanced stats the worst individual defender in basketball) , all his points come from usage, usage that leads to deep lottery. On East.

I might undervalued him, but he is still nowhere near as good as his stats might suggest. Just like Collins isn't as good as his stats look ( same team, same crap)

Didn't you say a week ago Pepe that you'd take a flyer on Tyrell Terry at 15 and be done with it?

Personally , I think he's very behind in physical development (has since grown to 6'3" apparently and still growing), I don't think his current physical form is very indicative of how he can end up. He's not as good as his stats, because a lot of his stats paint him as one of college basketball's most potent offensive weapons and with defensive win shares much better than the eye test can confirm. He's probably not that, but it does point to a player who, with improved physique and work on his handle, can be at minimum a rotation combo guard in the pros, with a ceiling considerably higher.

I did make a case for Terry based on his shooting. But man oh man he is thiny,skinny guy.
Bey looks like he's physically ready too.

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#1408 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 am

New proposed draft day is November 18th.

Ewwwww why so **** far away
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#1409 » by Ducklett » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:20 am

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:New proposed draft day is November 18th.

I assume that means the next season start is being pushed back and truncated as well. That sucks.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1410 » by The Effect » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:28 am

Ducklett wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:New proposed draft day is November 18th.

I assume that means the next season start is being pushed back and truncated as well. That sucks.

sadly yeah im guessing we wont see the next season start til feburary or march (probably wait til after the NFL season\super bowl)

My question is, are they going to have a shortened season, like say 50 games? or is this going to be the new schedule, start the season in march and play through sept\oct?
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,799

Post#1411 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:45 am

basketballRob wrote:
IllMagic04 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
160 pounds guard. Good luck with that.

Even after all the crow you had to eat about Trae Young you still have this view . Id rather take my chances on him putting on some weight then adding another player who needs to put on a jump shot. To be clear I dont think hes gonna be as good as Trae as he was a cant miss in my eyes. This kid is far from that. Its unlikly we are getting much more then a rotation guy at 15. If thats what we are getting then Id love that rotation guy be a shooter walking through the door.
He looks like a good shooter, but we haven't had too much luck with drafting players that aren't physically ready for the NBA. That's why i like Maxey, he's 200 lbs. He's ready to step in and play 20+ minutes from day 1.

I'd take my chances with a player with his skillset. Bamba and Issac are bigger guys and that long skinny look is something thats injury prone. Small guards Id take the chance. I like Maxey but Im reserved that hes not gonnna be on the board at 15.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#1412 » by The Effect » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 am

pepe1991 wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

It wouldnt surpise me one bit if Bey goes MUCH higher than people are expecting. Like if hes this years Cam Johnson and goes top 10-13
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#1413 » by MagicMatic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 pm

Someone that can initiate offense.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Post#1414 » by zaymon » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:50 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Someone that can initiate offense.

I agree. We need someone who can break defense without a screen and make good decision. Sadly its the hardest archetype to get. We have scoring guards, we have 3&D wings, we even have shooters (but not that many). Against Milwaukee we were 37,7 % from three. Imo our biggest problem was getting to the rim. I chose point guard option but it can be from every position.

In the draft i see some players with that ability, but propably not good enough to matter. Lewis, Hampton, Bolmaro, Dotson, Riller, Anthony.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,500

Post#1415 » by jezzerinho » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 pm

Bey is very interesting to me too. There's no doubt he lacks suddenness and explosion, but I understand he has grown a massive amount in a few short years. Hopefully the musculature just needs to catch up with the frame. He was a PG as a kid and you can see it with his handle and craftiness. Depending on the physical aspect, he could have a higher ceiling than many. But if he stays limited as an athlete, that prob holds him to rotation minutes.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#1416 » by Ducklett » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:48 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Bey is very interesting to me too. There's no doubt he lacks suddenness and explosion, but I understand he has grown a massive amount in a few short years. Hopefully the musculature just needs to catch up with the frame. He was a PG as a kid and you can see it with his handle and craftiness. Depending on the physical aspect, he could have a higher ceiling than many. But if he stays limited as an athlete, that prob holds him to rotation minutes.

Tyler or Saddiq? I think Tyler Bey in the 20s would be a damn steal for us if we could find a way to grab him. The only downside is he is really old for a rook.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,500

Post#1417 » by jezzerinho » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:51 am

I meant Saddiq! Haven't watched any Tyler tbh.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#1418 » by J the Drafter » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:45 am

jezzerinho wrote:Bey is very interesting to me too. There's no doubt he lacks suddenness and explosion, but I understand he has grown a massive amount in a few short years. Hopefully the musculature just needs to catch up with the frame. He was a PG as a kid and you can see it with his handle and craftiness. Depending on the physical aspect, he could have a higher ceiling than many. But if he stays limited as an athlete, that prob holds him to rotation minutes.

Saddiq seems similar to Okeke, and thus seems like an archetypal WeltHam player. He has the lol!wingspan, measuring at 6’11, but he also has strong defense, being able to guard multiple positions, he’s a great shooter, he’s a good post player, he’s a good playmaker and he even has skill using on-ball screens. His only knocks are a lack of explosiveness off the dribble and a habit of extruding his right knee. The latter problem can hopefully be fixed by teaching him healthier and safer ways to hold and move his body. The former issue—maybe he develops the requisite quickness? His difficulties off the dribble even affected his ability to attack closeouts, so this aspect of his game definitely bears watching.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1419 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Was my guy at 15 before.... but even more after this. good watch.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#1420 » by MagicMatic » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:17 am

Players that can create offense AND get buckets in the first round. Not JUST a spot up shooter or a pass first player.

Killian Hayes
Anthony Edwards
Tyrese Haliburton
Tyrell Terry
Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis Jr
Deni Avdija

I’d be ok with landing any of these guys that can get buckets and become decent playmakers. We lack players that can initiate offense individually as well as collectively.

Return to Orlando Magic