ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#261 » by djFan71 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:56 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:

0:02-0:12 - PnR w/ Theis: Jaylen correctly doesn't force a shot, relocates behind the arc, and gets the ball back via Smart's closeout drive-and-kick. Swish 3.
0:14-0:20 - Might have settled for the iso 3; could've swung back the ball to Smart or driven baseline; ran back hard to defend!
0:25-0:32 - Good 3-attempt via ball movement in semi-transition
0:40-0:46 - He thrives in transition; Good take against the smaller FVV
1:06-1:10 - Another good take after crossing FVV; that's his shot
1:18-1:21 - Gets his hands dirty to force a jump ball

1:32-1:42 - My favorite play from him not because he got a highlight dunk off it but because he made the right read in transition. Instead of forcing 1-on-2, he gives up the ball to Smart to get it back. Hockey assist. Also, Semi's reaction LOL

1:49 - This is his staple -- catch-and-shoot 3s off passes from teammates. Money.
1:54 - Got his hand on the ball against Ibaka; Cs run again
1:59 - Heat check? Bad shot lol.
2:04 - Dunno if this is a playcall or Brown just reading the defense, but it was great -- Raps showing two against Kemba, Jaylen slips the screen to get an easy one under the basket.
2:17 - This is just a great play by Lowry who swallowed his dribble even before he could pass it to Smart; Maybe could've lobbed to Grant who had Powell sealed instead of forcing the drive? It didn't cost us because... Marcus Smart.
2:33-2:39 - Another strong take in transition
2:44-2:50 - Pretty sure they cleared the left side for Jaylen to attack that closeout; Another money shot over a smaller guy

Too lazy to go through 2nd half LOL but love how they used him in this game. Mix of PnR ballhandling, iso vs. mismatches, him as a screener, and his usual dose of catch-and-shoot 3s & attacking in transition.

Semi was great. He had to hold his head together so it didn’t explode.
Theocy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,428

Post#262 » by Theocy » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:10 am

He is 23 years old with a 23m contract averaging 20ppg this season. He has been improving year on year exhibiting flashes of a really good player.

Don't know what you're all on about. He is the second / third guy on a championship calibre team right now give him 2 more seasons and we shall see where he ends up. God damn with the hot takes. If he makes another jump he could end up a 23ppg player with good defense and rebounding. Assuming Tatum is the go to guy for this team, plus we have another scorer in the roster not sure what you are really expecting of him.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#263 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:05 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#264 » by ParticleMan » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:09 am

Theocy wrote:He is 23 years old with a 23m contract averaging 20ppg this season. He has been improving year on year exhibiting flashes of a really good player.

Don't know what you're all on about. He is the second / third guy on a championship calibre team right now give him 2 more seasons and we shall see where he ends up. God damn with the hot takes. If he makes another jump he could end up a 23ppg player with good defense and rebounding. Assuming Tatum is the go to guy for this team, plus we have another scorer in the roster not sure what you are really expecting of him.

spot on. outside a few outspoken members of this illustrious board, i think most people realize his value.

he's a guy who has to make teams pay for doubling tatum. other than G4 he's done it. and played good D against siakam, and rebounded. he's been a great #2a guy so far, on a team with title aspirations. and he keeps improving. not sure what more one can expect.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#265 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Sep 8, 2020 12:55 pm

His defense in the post against Siakam has been just fantastic. He did an amazing job defending Bam this season too, hopefully we get to see more of that pretty soon.

The stat constable posted above says it all, but when Jaylen is hitting like last night, this team is pretty unstoppable.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#266 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 8, 2020 3:23 pm

I still see glimpses of a "Scottie Pippen" in him.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#267 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:35 pm

The Comedian wrote:His defense in the post against Siakam has been just fantastic. He did an amazing job defending Bam this season too, hopefully we get to see more of that pretty soon.

The stat constable posted above says it all, but when Jaylen is hitting like last night, this team is pretty unstoppable.

not really. It's just awful offense. Siakam is missing bunnies. He has no moves and isn't a post player. He's posting Jaylen up because he and overrated Nurse believe he has some sort of advantage when, due to Jaylen's strength and length, he barely does. Lots of times people equate bad offense with great defense. He HAS played good defense on Siakam at times but that's more because Siakam is simply backing him down with no moves and trying to score over him over and over again. Announcers like to create a narrative and of course Brown's super fans run with it because of course they would.

Siakam is like Jaylen. He's good only for wide open threes and huge mismatches on offense. He isn't going to have much success posting up anyone like Jaylen and Tatum because it's not in his game. Nick Nurse has done a terrible coaching job this series especially as it pertains to how he's deployed Siakam. You won't see Brad trying to post Jaylen up against long wings but you will see him post up Van Fleet. That's good coaching and a taking advantage of a true mismatch. That's why Brad is a better coach than Nurse and I'm not even the biggest Brad fan either. They need use Siakam screens with Van Fleet and Lowry so Siakam can post up Kemba if they want to do anything in the post with him.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#268 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 8, 2020 5:47 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:like I've been trying to tell people, if Jaylen isn't hitting the WIDE open threes his teammates set him up with every game, he's almost useless on offense. He brings absolutely nothing to the table on offense besides that. He's a 3 and D. And people are upset he didn't make the all-star game? Only in a weak Eastern Conference with a handful of all-stars injured was he even on the bubble with several other players, as or more deserving than him. He can't dribble. He can't create for himself unless he has a major mismatch and he cannot create for others. And his sometimes stout man defense is negated by his team defense and inconsistency with man defense effort. The huge problem is his major flaws are innate for the most part because he's more of an athlete than a natural basketball player and there's only so much you can do.

I half agree. JB is more than a 3-d player as he is very good, at times attacking the rim.. something he did not do at all. I think it is kore under the category of NOT all players are made for the playoffs.. JB even at his best has always been a Low IQ player who relied on skills and athleticism and not feel for the game and things like that..

Either way his stock is down at the moment..

Brown has never been a low IQ player who relied on athleticism. You see great athlete and immediately assume he lacks skills and smarts.

He is a very smart basketball player. He doesn’t make dumb plays.

I dont think there is a low IQ B-Ball player on the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he's absolutely a low IQ basketball player. It's not even debatable. As the game has slowed down and he's learned to play within himself he's gotten marginally better. But there's a reason why, someone with incredible athleticism, averages 2 assists a game. It's because he doesn't process information quickly enough on the court and his handle is too suspect for him to take the longer required time for him to process in real time.

Last night in one of his better games he had zero assists. People, you can't be considered an all-star averaging just 2 assists a game. I can't remember the last all-star to do it tbh. Even Embiid averages 3. Sabonis and Bam average 5. He also displays his low court IQ on team defense all the time. Why can't people discuss his obvious and glaring flaws? How can anyone pretend he doesn't have low BBIQ?

and folks, when he's being guarded by 5'11" guards like Lowry and Van Fleet, he's should be having 30 point games every night because unlike most games where he's just good for 3 and D, he has a massive advantage that allows him to shoot over guys and post them up as well. Yeah, if this was who was guarding him all the time Jaylen would absolutely be an all-star lol.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#269 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:21 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
I half agree. JB is more than a 3-d player as he is very good, at times attacking the rim.. something he did not do at all. I think it is kore under the category of NOT all players are made for the playoffs.. JB even at his best has always been a Low IQ player who relied on skills and athleticism and not feel for the game and things like that..

Either way his stock is down at the moment..

Brown has never been a low IQ player who relied on athleticism. You see great athlete and immediately assume he lacks skills and smarts.

he's absolutely a low IQ basketball player. It's not even debatable. As the game has slowed down and he's learned to play within himself he's gotten marginally better. But there's a reason why, someone with incredible athleticism, averages 2 assists a game. It's because he doesn't process information quickly enough on the court and his handle is too suspect for him to take the longer required time for him to process in real time.

Last night in one of his better games he had zero assists. People, you can't be considered an all-star averaging just 2 assists a game. I can't remember the last all-star to do it tbh. Even Embiid averages 3. Sabonis and Bam average 5. He also displays his low court IQ on team defense all the time. Why can't people discuss his obvious and glaring flaws? How can anyone pretend he doesn't have low BBIQ?

and folks, when he's being guarded by 5'11" guards like Lowry and Van Fleet, he's should be having 30 point games every night because unlike most games where he's just good for 3 and D, he has a massive advantage that allows him to shoot over guys and post them up as well. Yeah, if this was who was guarding him all the time Jaylen would absolutely be an all-star lol.

Ya I don't agree with Jaylen being a low IQ basketball guy, I agree with the previous poster that this is misconception is largely because he's A) athletic and athletic guys often get this label and B) He had decision making questions out of college. He's been relatively low turnover his whole career, he generally has the shot profile you'd want from a efficient/good player, he's a relatively low mistake/gamble guy on defense. Like besides the low assist numbers he doesn't do anything that would indicate he doesn't understand the game at an at least passable level, and even that is at least partially due to the role he is expected to play and the guys he plays with. I don't think basketball IQ is a plus for him in the way it is for Draymond, Smart, Igoudala ect. But its not some huge weakness either.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#270 » by captain green » Tue Sep 8, 2020 10:45 pm

I completely disagree with his bbiq being bad I think it's awesome.
Only people that hate brown are blind, dude has intangibles that you can't teach, still my favorite player then Tatum. I personally feel like if separated both lose out or rather won't be as good elsewhere. Tatum and brown have the best chemistry of young players that can d and score that is rare so.next time he misses a shot keep the comedy hot takes coming so I know who to laugh at
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#271 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:16 am

captain green wrote:I completely disagree with his bbiq being bad I think it's awesome.
Only people that hate brown are blind, dude has intangibles that you can't teach, still my favorite player then Tatum. I personally feel like if separated both lose out or rather won't be as good elsewhere. Tatum and brown have the best chemistry of young players that can d and score that is rare so.next time he misses a shot keep the comedy hot takes coming so I know who to laugh at

A couple of things I'll push you back on:

-To call him a low IQ player doesn't necessarily mean that you hate him.

-FWIW, none of your compliments of Brown as a player in the above post actually address or rebut the supposition of his low IQ.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#272 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:29 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
The Comedian wrote:His defense in the post against Siakam has been just fantastic. He did an amazing job defending Bam this season too, hopefully we get to see more of that pretty soon.

not really. It's just awful offense. Siakam is missing bunnies. He has no moves and isn't a post player. He's posting Jaylen up because he and overrated Nurse believe he has some sort of advantage when, due to Jaylen's strength and length, he barely does. Lots of times people equate bad offense with great defense. He HAS played good defense on Siakam at times but that's more because Siakam is simply backing him down with no moves and trying to score over him over and over again. Announcers like to create a narrative and of course Brown's super fans run with it because of course they would.

Siakam is like Jaylen. He's good only for wide open threes and huge mismatches on offense. He isn't going to have much success posting up anyone like Jaylen and Tatum because it's not in his game. Nick Nurse has done a terrible coaching job this series especially as it pertains to how he's deployed Siakam. You won't see Brad trying to post Jaylen up against long wings but you will see him post up Van Fleet. That's good coaching and a taking advantage of a true mismatch. That's why Brad is a better coach than Nurse and I'm not even the biggest Brad fan either. They need use Siakam screens with Van Fleet and Lowry so Siakam can post up Kemba if they want to do anything in the post with him.

Siakam’s game is literally in the post. “He isn’t going to have much success posting anyone up” but that’s where he gets 58% of his offense from this year lol. He’s been feasting in the post all year.

It’s just not a good matchup for him like you said because Brown has the length to contest him.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#273 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:31 am

keevsnick1 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Brown has never been a low IQ player who relied on athleticism. You see great athlete and immediately assume he lacks skills and smarts.

Ya I don't agree with Jaylen being a low IQ basketball guy, I agree with the previous poster that this is misconception is largely because he's A) athletic and athletic guys often get this label and B) He had decision making questions out of college. He's been relatively low turnover his whole career, he generally has the shot profile you'd want from a efficient/good player, he's a relatively low mistake/gamble guy on defense. Like besides the low assist numbers he doesn't do anything that would indicate he doesn't understand the game at an at least passable level, and even that is at least partially due to the role he is expected to play and the guys he plays with. I don't think basketball IQ is a plus for him in the way it is for Draymond, Smart, Igoudala ect. But its not some huge weakness either.

It’s not even worth arguing with him man. He claims that Lonzo Ball, Jonathan Isaac, and MPJ are all better or just as good as Jaylen Brown. Keep in mind he’s the same guy who said he’d take the Knicks young core over the Celtics lol. That’s all you need to know.

Not worth wasting your time arguing.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#274 » by ParticleMan » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:05 am

^^ yeah he's not good for much but unintentional comedic value at this point.

Jaylen isn't quite all star level yet but his improvement has been consistent and noticeable from year to year, he has improved every facet of his game immensely since draft day. Belichick (talking about Cam) mentioned that the true winners are the guys who attack their weaknesses, not just focus on their strengths. Jaylen is one of those guys. He still has weaknesses that keep him below allstar level, but I wouldn't bet against him.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,280

Post#275 » by chrisab123 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:25 am

I see a superior version of Darryl Dawkins. A similar style but with a better jump shot and better defense. The dunks though...
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#276 » by playa-hater » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:18 am

Jaylen Brown has a lot of positive traits, Strong, athletic, courageous, good skill, footwork. He has a good shooting tech. and I believe works hard on his game. But he does not have a great feel and/or instincts. Is often out of control, doesn't have much passing vision, and forces the action way too much.. Jaylen Brown, at times brings the same positive and negative play making decisions as Russell Westbrook.

Do I still have high value for Brown on Boston, answer is an easy yes. His age and ability to improve is why. But as of now he needs to make improvements as a decision maker, or being called "not high IQ" won't go away..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#277 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:12 am

11-30. 4-13 from three. three very costly turnovers. Just 2 assists in a double overtime game. How is that for comedic value?
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#278 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:11-30. 4-13 from three. three very costly turnovers. Just 2 assists in a double overtime game. How is that for comedic value?

I think this will stop being funny or depressing (depending on your POV) when you start re-aligning your expectations with reality.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#279 » by Floody100 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:11-30. 4-13 from three. three very costly turnovers. Just 2 assists in a double overtime game. How is that for comedic value?

Here we go again ...
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,468

Post#280 » by Pelly24 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:53 am

Considering he's been kinda "meh" this series and he went 11/30 last without a lot of free throws last game, the timing of this isn't the best. But I've always felt like he could be a Jimmy Butler, at least before his 3rd season. I think he can become a more consistent scorer than Jimmy and get 25 a game on very good to elite efficiency at his peak, but Jimmy just has a floor game that I'm not sure can be taught. But if he watches enough film and really hones in on things, he could become a Kawhi-level passer. If so, then I feel really good about my Jimmy projection.

Return to Boston Celtics