Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#621 » by Dresden » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:06 pm

I don't understand why Fauci doesn't make a public statement to the effect that electing Trump again will mean that thousands more US citizens are going to die from COVID, and that people should vote for Biden. His oath as a doctor to save lives should come before his oath as a member of Trump's administration to stay politically neutral.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#622 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:29 pm

Dresden wrote:I don't understand why Fauci doesn't make a public statement to the effect that electing Trump again will mean that thousands more US citizens are going to die from COVID, and that people should vote for Biden. His oath as a doctor to save lives should come before his oath as a member of Trump's administration to stay politically neutral.

Because he is a gentleman.

That's enough in Trumplandia to get death threats.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#623 » by dice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:55 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:
Dresden wrote:I don't understand why Fauci doesn't make a public statement to the effect that electing Trump again will mean that thousands more US citizens are going to die from COVID, and that people should vote for Biden. His oath as a doctor to save lives should come before his oath as a member of Trump's administration to stay politically neutral.

and he thinks that getting fired won't be worth telling people what they already know
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM

Post#624 » by Dresden » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:30 am

dice wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

and he thinks that getting fired won't be worth telling people what they already know

He'd be rehired the minute Biden is inaugurated. He would be able to get a job anywhere he wanted, anyway. At some point, what is more important, saving people's lives, or keeping your job? And I do think his coming out and publicly stating that if Trump is elected, more people will die would have a significant impact on the election, perhaps even a pivotal one.
dice
RealGM

Post#625 » by dice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:51 am

Dresden wrote:
dice wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

He'd be rehired the minute Biden is inaugurated.

assuming that biden wins

He would be able to get a job anywhere he wanted, anyway.

it's not the paycheck. it's his position as gateskeeper of sorts in the current administration

At some point, what is more important, saving people's lives, or keeping your job?

i assume that he thinks that keeping his job puts him in a better public relations position, thus contributing to saving more lives

And I do think his coming out and publicly stating that if Trump is elected, more people will die would have a significant impact on the election, perhaps even a pivotal one.

maybe, maybe not. there have been a number of issues that people assumed would sink trump. the position he's in right now is as bad as it has been since becoming president because of his handling of the virus. i don't think that fauci reiterating those failures in a way that would be seen by many as politically motivated would change existing perceptions much

and doesn't his latest comment basically say the same thing anyway? how stupid would a person have to be to hear "trump doesn't care about the virus" and not extrapolate "hmmm...maybe it would be a bad thing for public health to re-elect him"?

fauci is sticking strictly to the science
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#626 » by musiqsoulchild » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:19 am

Dresden wrote:
dice wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

He'd be rehired the minute Biden is inaugurated. He would be able to get a job anywhere he wanted, anyway. At some point, what is more important, saving people's lives, or keeping your job? And I do think his coming out and publicly stating that if Trump is elected, more people will die would have a significant impact on the election, perhaps even a pivotal one.

I see it differently.

I see that he is staying on ONLY because he feels it's necessary to be the adult in the room.

Just imagine that room though:

Trump
Pence
Kayley Mcenany

Gulp...might be worse than the actual virus being in that room as the only rational voice.
Dieselbound&Down
Lead Assistant
And1: 420

Post#627 » by Dieselbound&Down » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Fauci is 79 y/o and has enough money for his retirement. Money is not going to scare him to keep quiet, nor will it deter him (the threat of losing his income) from going public if he thinks it is necessary. It seems obvious he thinks the best way for him to help people is to stay where he is. If he left, does anyone think the replacement in his role will be anything other than some random hack doctor who has made public pronouncements the current administration agrees with? The short bump in public knowledge would be minimal compared to the long term loss of a counterweight to politics controlling policy.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#628 » by Dresden » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:05 pm

I think Fauci could do more good for the American people by helping elect Biden than he can staying in his current job for the remaining few months he has in the Trump admin. He's already being phased out by a political hack who will repeat the party line, so I'm not sure how effective he is in that role anyway.

If he did get fired, he would be free to go on as many interviews as he wanted to, and give an inside story of how badly Trump has bungled things, how little he seemed to care about the virus, and how re-electing him will cost thousands more lives.

Fauci is highly respected, across the political spectrum. His being vocal about Trump's incompetence would make a big difference, IMO. It's worth a try, at any rate.

As for the argument that he's staying in order to "be the adult in the room", we've seen numerous others try in that role, only to get discouraged and quit, such as John Kelly, and Rex Tillerson. I think it only enables Trump at this point.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#629 » by Red8911 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:48 pm

Do you really believe what you wrote? LOL.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,161

Post#630 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Curious what your thoughts are regarding Trump admitting to playing down the seriousness of Covid-19...
Dresden
RealGM

Post#631 » by Dresden » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 pm

Red8911 wrote:

Of course I do. What part do you take issue with?
dice
RealGM

Post#632 » by dice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:49 pm

Dresden wrote:
Red8911 wrote:

Of course I do. What part do you take issue with?

i smell a conspiracy theory!

pretty ironic that someone who posted a video from doctor demon sperm (google it) would question whether someone else was serious
dice
RealGM

Post#633 » by dice » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Dresden wrote:I think Fauci could do more good for the American people by helping elect Biden than he can staying in his current job for the remaining few months he has in the Trump admin. He's already being phased out by a political hack who will repeat the party line, so I'm not sure how effective he is in that role anyway.

If he did get fired, he would be free to go on as many interviews as he wanted to, and give an inside story of how badly Trump has bungled things, how little he seemed to care about the virus, and how re-electing him will cost thousands more lives.

Fauci is highly respected, across the political spectrum. His being vocal about Trump's incompetence would make a big difference, IMO. It's worth a try, at any rate.

As for the argument that he's staying in order to "be the adult in the room", we've seen numerous others try in that role, only to get discouraged and quit, such as John Kelly, and Rex Tillerson. I think it only enables Trump at this point.

it's a completely reasonable argument. i can just understand fauci's perspective on it. it's also pretty obvious that he loves a job that he has been doing for a long time and probably will do until he is no longer able. is his importance in that role enough to offset the public benefit (if any) of him publicly advocating for trump's removal from office? beats me
Dresden
RealGM

Post#634 » by Dresden » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 pm

dice wrote:
Dresden wrote:I think Fauci could do more good for the American people by helping elect Biden than he can staying in his current job for the remaining few months he has in the Trump admin. He's already being phased out by a political hack who will repeat the party line, so I'm not sure how effective he is in that role anyway.

it's a completely reasonable argument. i can just understand fauci's perspective on it. it's also pretty obvious that he loves a job that he has been doing for a long time and probably will do until he is no longer able. is his importance in that role enough to offset the public benefit (if any) of him publicly advocating for trump's removal from office? beats me

I understand the obligation he feels to stay out of politics. I just think in this instance, he has is in a unique position to wield an extraordinary amount of power by endorsing Biden, and by doing so, saving 10's of thousands of lives. So he has to weigh those two things.

The same can be said about whoever it was that leaked Trump's comments on dead soldiers being suckers. Some say it was John Kelly. Whoever it was, is someone in a very senior position in the Trump administration, who, by leaking what they leaked, obviously want to damage Trump politically. If they came public, they could make an even stronger argument for why Trump does not deserve another 4 years. A lot more people would believe that Trump actually said those things, and it would have more credibility coming from someone like Kelly. The NYT argued in an editorial that this person or persons has a moral responsibility to the nation to come forward publicly. And I think the same argument can be applied towards Fauci.

If you want to debate what effect a Fauci endorsement of Biden would have on the election, that's a different argument. But again, I think it could potentially be devastating to Trump, to have someone with inside knowledge of how he has handled the pandemic, and who is also very highly respected, across the both parties, come forward and say they think Trump is a danger to the health of the nation.
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,337

Post#635 » by drosestruts » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:44 pm

I can't imagine Fauci's public endorsement for one candidate or another would sway anyone's vote. The idea of the undecided voter is so laughable to me. Who are these hypothetical people who are still on the fence, and what could you possibly be on the fence about?

I think people know who they prefer.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#636 » by Dresden » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:31 pm

drosestruts wrote:I can't imagine Fauci's public endorsement for one candidate or another would sway anyone's vote. The idea of the undecided voter is so laughable to me. Who are these hypothetical people who are still on the fence, and what could you possibly be on the fence about?

I think people know who they prefer.

It may seem laughable to you that there are some people that are undecided, but if that were truly the case, you would not see the candidates spending millions of dollars campaigning at this point. They'd just sit home and wait for the election.

The fact that polls are changing all the time is proof that people's minds are changing. A You.gov poll just out shows Biden's lead has widened from 6 to 10 points over the past week- most likely due to the impact of Trump's comments about the military. Some of that could also be polling inaccuracies, but it's likely that not all of it is, which means that yes, news items like this can change people's opinions on who they will vote for.
dice
RealGM

Post#637 » by dice » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:34 am

notice that the virus hit w. europe hard about 2 weeks before it hit us. and we've still managed to blow it. canada learned the lesson
Dresden
RealGM

Post#638 » by Dresden » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:43 am

dice wrote:Image

notice that the virus hit w. europe hard about 2 weeks before it hit us. and we've still managed to blow it. canada learned the lesson

The last thing I want to do is let Trump off the hook for how he bungled the US response, but one of the NYT columnists wrote a column last week showing that the US has actually not done worse than countries like France, Italy, Spain and maybe UK. Overall, compared to Europe, we've done worse than Germany and the Scandi's, and not much different than the others. I'll find the article link later....
wolffy
Rookie
And1: 620

Post#639 » by wolffy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Regarding Fauci, its like we've seen with other officials in this administration that have said they feel that they cant resign. They dont like what the see, they stay to try to be a voice of reason, and they are worried about the person who would be picked to replace them being just another trump flunky.

In Fauci's case i think thats a real concern. No idea who would replace him but that person probably works at fox news right now. I wish i was joking about the fox news part.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#640 » by Dresden » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:13 pm

Interesting research points to dining out as a leading cause of COVID infections (other than being in close personal contact with someone who is contagious, such as living in the same house). Not good news for restaurants:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cdc-finds-link-between-covid-19-cases-and-eating-at-restaurants-but-experts-say-indoor-dining-can-be-done-safely-190351086.html

Return to Chicago Bulls