ImageImageImageImageImage

Why do we need another star?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Why do we need another star? 

Post#1 » by Onus » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:20 pm

What's the obsession with obtaining another star player? Why not focus on building out the bench? We're like 3 players away from having an 8 man rotation in the playoffs. MLE, TPE, and #2 draft pick and we should be a contender. None of the contending teams are so far above the competition that it's absolutely necessary for a 3rd star player.

Curry
Klay
Wiggins
Draymond
MLE Center (Favors, Gasol, Baynes, Ibaka) all of these guys can soak up at least 20 min a game

TPE
#2 Draft Pick
Pascall, Looney, Chriss

We definitely need another shooter and playmaker but a 3rd star is not necessary.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Re: Why do we need another star? 

Post#2 » by whatisacenter » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:33 pm

I think the allure of getting a young star like Giannis is appealing because it will keep the dynasty going. If the Warriors can get another level out of Wiggins, I think they can fill out the rest of the roster with the picks(keep or trade), TPE, MLE and veteran minimums and compete at the highest level.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#3 » by HiRez » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:36 pm

I'm on the fence myself. On the one hand, who doesn't want another KD or Giannis, these players are difficult to stop and that makes things even easier on Steph and Klay. On the other hand, another star is going to cost us a ton of assets -- virtually all of them that we have. That probably means a weaker bench, which is something we can't really afford either, and no pipeline to the future.

Without another star it does probably mean defenses will load up on Steph and force the ball out of his hands and from a fan standpoint and an efficiency standpoint, that's not great either. We saw how the Raptors threw 2, 3, 4 guys at Steph every time down the floor and it was effective because whoever else was there to take a shot was less dangerous and less efficient. Anytime you force a secondary or tertiary player to take a shot instead of Steph, you won.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#4 » by jason bourne » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:37 pm

Because us fans want to win more ships and see Curry get at least two more rings to go ahead of LeBron.

The Warriors have to get a Kawhi or AD to be contenders for the next two or three years. The stars who may be available are Bradley Beal, John Collins (is he star enough?), Chris Paul, Joel Embiid (available?), Nikola Vucevic (available?), Brandon Ingram (is he star enough?), Ben Simmons (?), DeMar DeRozan (what has he done for me lately?), Bam Adebayo (yeah right), Jrue Holiday, and that's probably about it for those available.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by jason bourne » Wed Sep 9, 2020 9:52 pm

Sorry. I'll remove CP3 from the list. He's fools gold. He became an All-Star again, but his stats were still declining and he'll be 35 next season.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Onus
RealGM

Post#6 » by Onus » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:07 pm

whatisacenter wrote:I think the allure of getting a young star like Giannis is appealing because it will keep the dynasty going. If the Warriors can get another level out of Wiggins, I think they can fill out the rest of the roster with the picks(keep or trade), TPE, MLE and veteran minimums and compete at the highest level.

Giannis / AD will make us another dynasty, and maybe Simmons/Embiid. But Bradley Beal does he really make us a dynasty for 4 years? Does Aaron Gordon? I have my doubts about these players and not sure if giving up assets and Wiggins really gets us anywhere.
Onus
RealGM

Post#7 » by Onus » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:09 pm

jason bourne wrote:Because us fans want to win more ships and see Curry get at least two more rings to go ahead of LeBron.

The Warriors have to get a Kawhi or AD to be contenders for the next two or three years. The stars who may be available are Bradley Beal, John Collins (is he star enough?), Chris Paul, Joel Embiid (available?), Nikola Vucevic (available?), Brandon Ingram (is he star enough?), Ben Simmons (?), DeMar DeRozan (what has he done for me lately?), Bam Adebayo (yeah right), Jrue Holiday, and that's probably about it for those available.

Bradley Beal, John Collins, BI, DD, Bam, Jrue, do they really take us to another level. Are they good enough that we can play g-leaguers and still win?
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,835

Post#8 » by whatisacenter » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:13 pm

Onus wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:I think the allure of getting a young star like Giannis is appealing because it will keep the dynasty going. If the Warriors can get another level out of Wiggins, I think they can fill out the rest of the roster with the picks(keep or trade), TPE, MLE and veteran minimums and compete at the highest level.

Giannis / AD will make us another dynasty, and maybe Simmons/Embiid. But Bradley Beal does he really make us a dynasty for 4 years? Does Aaron Gordon? I have my doubts about these players and not sure if giving up assets and Wiggins really gets us anywhere.

couldn't agree more, there are only a handful of players, like you mentioned, who would be worth trading players and picks for. Beal, Gordon, etc don't move the needle enough to mortgage the future IMO.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#9 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:19 pm

We don't need one, but it wouldn't hurt if GSW does manage to pull off another blockbuster.

It's like in business, there's always room for improvement no matter what, and if you get complacent and don't try to improve/adapt then you'll end up antiquated like Myspace or Blockbuster.

With that said, I do agree this team would still be good without another star. People forget how good Steph Curry is, and he's been having to take a step back the past 3 seasons due to the addition of KD; Steph will remind a lot of people next season how good he really is.

As a fan, I think it'll be a win/win situation for me. I'm hoping to get another star (win), but if GSW can't land one, then I get to see the core of Steph/Klay/Draymond go for another ring with each other which would be an amazing underdog story (still a win,) because so many people try to discredit them by saying they only got rings because of KD's help and the Cavs' injuries in 2015.

No Giannis still gives me confidence because it'll mean the FO can now shift their focus on strengthening the bench which is pretty much the mold that the 73-win team had (just gotta hope Steph doesn't get a freak injury again like he did in the 2016 Playoffs.)
#DubNation
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#10 » by TB » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:25 pm

Ya it's interesting... there are some levels to this IMO:

1) a superstar that is a star post Steph, like Giannis or Simmons you obviously sell everything for
2) an all-star that maybe isn't the perfect fit like Beal or Embiid? I don't know where i stand on this. But would probably talk myself into it.
3) a high cost potential star that has flaws, over depth. This is the DLo or Wiggins type, and i'd have preferred a few guys like Covington/Okogie/Dieng instead of Wiggins in that deal.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:46 pm

We don't need another star, but the NBA is a star driven league. Star players in the playoffs often approach 40 minutes a game. If you can have star players take 160 of the 240 total minutes as compared to the opposition getting 80 or 120 "star" minutes you are going to win more games. That's over simplified, but it's really that simple.

Add to that that role players are much easier to find, and much less valuable.

More stars is generally but not always better.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,674

Post#12 » by a8bil » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:37 pm

We'll be lucky if Klay comes back at 85% of what he was before the knee injury. Dray is already showing wear and tear. Curry may be able to continue at this high pace for what? 3 more years? I think the OP is thinking of Dray, Klay and Steph 3 years ago. Their ages all start with a "3" now. The time to start planning for the future is now.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#13 » by Little Digger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:16 am

Don’t be afraid of the future total rebuild..

we don’t need to bridge a gap.

.all 3 of those guys are still near their prime till further notice..go for the title in 2021..don’t worry about 2024 and beyond..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by jason bourne » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:16 am

Wiggins is not a star and won't get the team to the playoffs like Dray when he was hitting 3s. He's a nice complementary wing who can start. I'm basing that on him being ROY and doing better on the Warriors, especially with 3-pt shooting. I think the Ws should try to get another star like we did with Giannis. I doubt Giannis will become available in 2021 because he's not the type to get a player's option in his last year nor force a trade out. The Bucks would capitulate if he was, but it's not in his DNA. Anyway, the Ws need someone close to his level to be assured of a championship. Otherwise, the players I listed will have to make do in order to just to go deep in the playoffs.

The stars who could get us past the second round are: Bradley Beal, Joel Embiid, Nikola Vucevic, Ben Simmons, Bam Adebayo, and Jrue Holiday. GSOM has Jrue and Marcus Smart -- https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2020/9/4/21422385/warriors-second-pick-trade-wiseman. Smart is a player many wanted to get for his defense and 3-pt shooting. He's much better than injury prone Gordon Hayward and he's been hot in the playoffs to the point of leading the Celtics to wins over the Raptors.

I realize these guys may not be available, but we'll have to see. We'll have a better idea what will be shaking closer to the draft next month.

ImageImage
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#15 » by cdubbz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:40 pm

I want the Warriors to ruin the league for a few more years with overwhelming power
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#16 » by Coxy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:05 pm

cdubbz wrote:I want the Warriors to ruin the league for a few more years with overwhelming power

:P :nod:
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,453

Post#17 » by whocurrz » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:35 pm

If you can get a Giannis obviously you do it but otherwise I’d like to target a vet who fits and at the end of his deal may take a slight discount to compete. I think Jrue would fill Iguodala role very well plus being what Livingston did. Smart is another guy we should target for this role with the TPE and a pick / pick swap. Gallinari is another on who fits and OKC will be rebuilding. Even trade back with the Hawks to pick up a shooter like Huerter if they love Wiseman would be awesome.

One of those three vets plus a good MLE signing and draft pick and we could be set for a few years. Lakers and Clippers both should have some health/ aging concerns going forward so small editions put us in contention. Plus don’t be surprised if Giannis signs a small extension and we can be better equipped with Wiggins salary closer to expiring.

In 2014 I was against trading Klay and Barnes for Love when many thought it was stupid and thought our small editions were smart. Didn’t expect the success we had, but if Klay returns to how he was balling and Curry and Dray are revitalized by the rest after 5 deep post season runs, we are in a very good position
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#18 » by ILOVEIT » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:56 pm

Is Wiggins a star? Look around the entire league and name me any team that would have a player as good as Wiggins (even with his current reputation)? Clippers...? Lakers..? Miami? You could make an argument that Warriors ALREADY have the best starting 3 in the league....now add Wiggins who I think is a VERY good #3....and a GREAT #4 on a team.

By the middle of next season I think (if they keep him) Warriors will be on a big time pace...and Wiggins will be suddenly redeemed and seen as an all-star level player.

Anyway....like many I'm spoiled. I don't want a competitive Warriors...I want the dynasty to continue. And I really enjoy the massive hype when it's a guy like Giannis and Embiid in terms of name recognition.

But all Warriors really have to do is hit on this draft....get the right guy...

And btw...I do think Wiggins has more value in some ways than Embiid...6'9" guy that can guard the Lebron's and Leonards in this league....Huge premium. I think the Warriors brass sees that....and will likely keep him.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#19 » by Little Digger » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:11 am

Wiggins has to make the 3 ball ...Same with Paschall..they better be putting in the work

Key to the 21 season..

I really like the potential of both those players..in fact I’d take a 25 year old Wiggins at #2 in the 2020 draft ....and old man Paschall top 8..I know that’s not saying all that much considering how sh*tty the top of this draft class is..but still
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Post#20 » by Warriorfan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:19 am

We need wing defenders now to contend.
We need two stars for 3+ yrs from now to contend. Maybe Curry and Klay are it but age happens.

Return to Golden State Warriors