Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending?

Moderator: THE J0KER

a-French-Fan
Senior
And1: 304

Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending? 

Post#1 » by a-French-Fan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:38 am

Panathinaikos is on sale for 25 millions euros.

Dimitris Giannakopoulos said that his family had put 450 millions in the club. He also said that next owners should go to BCL than Euroleague. Euroleague wouldn't had paid as much as promised.

Actually, I am not so surprised, financial situation of Euroleague teams is so much unsustainable. You may have a big sponsor that who doesn't give a clue to lose so much money (Maccabi, Pana, Fener, Efes, CSKA ...) or you need to be supported by a football club (Real, Barca, Bayern), that is even the case for TP's ASVEL who is getting more and more close to ASVEL. And with COVID-19, will Turkish Arilines able to spend so much money next years?

An other point is influence of Euroleague on European National Teams. Where are greek, russian or turkish prospects? (even Spanish prospects). While getting a higher level, Euroleague teams hired more and more international players, and local players played less and less years after years.

So should Euroleague should end and its teams going to BCL?
Frank Ntilikina is a play-off player, but he goes to the Hornets.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Ntilikina - Malédon - Hayes
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Embiid- Poirier - Lessort [without Embiid: Fall]
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Re: Panathinaikos on Sale: time for euroleague ending? 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:09 am

Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#3 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.

Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

I agree, EL team never had been a business, but it could (should?) be. I mean the game is very interesting, Euroleague regular season is not garbage like NBA regular season. NBA is too high for Euroleague get best players in the wolrd, with wages decreasing, players that had already earnt enough money into NBA would stay. If Euroleague teams stop huge deficits like now, where best players could go away? NBA? If they were able to keep a true role in NBA they would not be in Euroleague. Australian Basketball league? In a south american championships? Maybe China for some players.

While being more serious, EL could have a real development instead running after some sponsors.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,222

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:54 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Owning EL team never was a business, you throw much more money than you gain. Its crazy he only asks for 25 million Euros, that sounds super cheap to me. On related note, some PAO fans assaulted his home after decision to sell the team, because of course. Some of these PAO/OLY hardcore fans are a disgrace.

Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

I agree, EL team never had been a business, but it could (should?) be. I mean the game is very interesting, Euroleague regular season is not garbage like NBA regular season. NBA is too high for Euroleague get best players in the wolrd, with wages decreasing, players that had already earnt enough money into NBA would stay. If Euroleague teams stop huge deficits like now, where best players could go away? NBA? If they were able to keep a true role in NBA they would not be in Euroleague. Australian Basketball league? In a south american championships? Maybe China for some players.

While being more serious, EL could have a real development instead running after some sponsors.

Yeah, I guess its not that cheap considering its just a subscription to throw more money away, but man, it still sounds like not that much of money, I dont know, I never actually knew how much Euroleague teams costs, now I am used to NBA teams being sold for 2 billion and such.

Euroleague season is interesting if you are a fan, but in Europe its just not that popular to begin with.
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#5 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:13 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:

Yeah, I guess its not that cheap considering its just a subscription to throw more money away, but man, it still sounds like not that much of money, I dont know, I never actually knew how much Euroleague teams costs, now I am used to NBA teams being sold for 2 billion and such.

Euroleague season is interesting if you are a fan, but in Europe its just not that popular to begin with.

And actually with football (soccer) hegemony, it could be hard to make any benefit. An other point is Euroleague geography, only one in France because there is a famous owner, only one in all former yougoslavian republics, no one in northern Europe ... And maybe the main sponsor is a problem. It looks like more soft power than any honest support to basketball.

BTW with BCL I don't see FIBA Europe making something good with clubs, when I remember how Ukrain won organization of 2015 Euro, or how Turkey joined Olympic QT in 2016 (thanks BEKO as a sponsor ^^)... basketball is not as popular for sponsors to make business with corrupted guys ...

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#6 » by LuDux1 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 pm

Previously at Gate13 home base:
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#7 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:06 pm

EuroLeague has the clubs valued regularly, and just the club's name rights alone are worth 75 million euros. The owner was just trying to stir up nonsense, as usual.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:09 pm

a-French-Fan wrote:Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

The same company that values NBA teams also values EuroLeague teams. They have it done every year. Panathinaikos was valued at over 100 million euros just last season. So yeah, 25 million euros would be a ridiculous sale. The owner was just trying to ruffle the feathers of the other owners. That's all. The media reported that Maccabi's owner made it clear at one of the owners meetings that the other clubs would not allow such devaluing of their clubs.
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#9 » by a-French-Fan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:11 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
a-French-Fan wrote:Cheap? but who would pay a lot of money to get the right to lose big money then?

The same company that values NBA teams also values EuroLeague teams. They have it done every year. Panathinaikos was valued at over 100 million euros just last season. So yeah, 25 million euros would be a ridiculous sale. The owner was just trying to ruffle the feathers of the other owners. That's all. The media reported that Maccabi's owner made it clear at one of the owners meetings that the other clubs would not allow such devaluing of their clubs.

I would like to see their method to value Euroleague teams... Because I can't understand how to expect some benefits with an Euroleague team.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:53 am

Greek media said a value listing appraisal was done for Panathinaikos BC if the owner really wants to sell. Panathinaikos BC was valued at €400 million euros. Just the club's name, brand, and logo alone was valued at €100 million euros.
Fundamentals21
Bench Warmer
And1: 597

Post#11 » by Fundamentals21 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Strangely I only see the rise of European leagues. Spain pulled an upset, there are too many international players on the rise ( see Doncic) etc. I have Euroleague as the #1 destination even possibly beating the NBA within the next 25 years or so. It'll be a long time but I am willing to wait it out and see what happens.
a-French-Fan
Senior

Post#12 » by a-French-Fan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:42 pm

Fundamentals21 wrote:Strangely I only see the rise of European leagues. Spain pulled an upset, there are too many international players on the rise ( see Doncic) etc. I have Euroleague as the #1 destination even possibly beating the NBA within the next 25 years or so. It'll be a long time but I am willing to wait it out and see what happens.

I like basketball played into Euroleague, I like spanish league, but I don't think Euroleague may beat NBA within the next 25 years. Euroleague have some money because of Turkish Ailrlines sponsorships. You don't have any sustainable economic model for Euroleague. Biggest teams make new debts each year, and are still here because of their sponsor. Look Barcelona's roster in Euroleague. How can they afford this while they are not able to pay 30 millions € cash for Depay? ( they would had bought him this price, but believing Lyon's president, Barcelona couldn't pay immediadtly).
About Spanish championships I really like it... but how many spanish players really playing in spanish teams in Euroleague? Where are playing best spanish prospects? About international players on the rise, Doncic was like an exception for last years. If you take Bolmaro case, he mostly played for Barca B (some people make comparison with Ginobili, but Ginobili showep up in Argentina first, then proved some things in a average italian team, and then went to Kinder Bologna before NBA. He wasn't 17 or 18!).

Euroleague may have killed some championships too. To be good in Euroleague, you need some helicopter money. So there is a huge gap between euroleague and other teams in national leagues. If you do things seriously, you have to be smart with a lower budget (ASVEL, Alba Berlin, Zalgiris).
For Italian championships next years, you already know teams reaching finals (Milano and Bologna), that will be as exciting as french Ligue 1 in football where now one ask "who will win the championships", but only "who will go to Champions'league with PSG". In Greece situation is worst, when was last time an other team than Pana or Olympiakos won the title? Maybe turkish play-off are exciting ...

I could give you a lot of other examples that don't make Euroleague as a serious rival for NBA, and why european national leagues are not so exciting. To be interesting, Euroleague needs public all over Europe, not only in Turkey, Greece and Spain. Euroleague needs more than one team in former yougoslavian republics, more than one team in Baltic countries.

Paris 2024 (Starters):
Coulibaly - De Colo
TLC - Rupert or Risacher
Wembanyama- Yabusele

Return to International Basketball