ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust?

Keeper! He will be something special.
21%
Bust. He’s not improved and shown the ability to be consistent.
79%

Total votes: 96

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Re: Is Kevin Knox a Keeper or a Bust? 

Post#61 » by robillionaire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:His rookie season was historically bad when you consider both offense and defense. His second year was even worse.

Knox is a straight bust in my opinion. If he was just bad but playing with effort I’d say keep him, but he hasn’t shown any passion on the court and it is known that he has motor issues, on top of the fact that he’s a horrific basketball player by NBA standards.

He can only do one thing, shoot the basketball, and he’s one of the worst in the entire league at it. Pretty arc on that j though.

Trade him now while he still has value. Get him away from RJ and Mitch and any young guy who wants to be great in NY. If we’re really gonna build a culture here, we’ll need to get rid of all the pretenders on this roster. Knox wouldn’t last a DAY in Miami.

Remember Knox had a pretty good summer league his rookie season which got everyone's hopes high? I think it all went downhill from there.

also was rookie of the month in december
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#62 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:55 am

Somewhere in between likely but this is the time for him to do something. If he doesn’t step up this season with the new staff he’s definitely firmly in bust column though.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#63 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:57 am

MaseInYourFace wrote:Somewhere in between likely but this is the time for him to do something. If he doesn’t step up this season with the new staff he’s definitely firmly in bust column though.

Hey, he's not a "bust" until after we trade him. :)
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#64 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:01 am

He had some nice moments as a rookie. It’s hard for me to use the term bust because when I think of a bust, I think of guys like Yinka Dare and Anthony Bennett who were pathetically bad players. Knox is like that next level up after bust if there is such a thing lol.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,616

Post#65 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:21 am

Definitely closer to bust at this point, but unless we're getting value for him, we might as well keep him. Towards the end of our season, he started blocking more shots so maybe he's maturing and there's a bit of hope left.

So so dumb how we ended up drafting him and then how we developed him.
jermsknicks
Senior
And1: 254

Post#66 » by jermsknicks » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:34 am

I didn't want to draft him, but then Summer League Knox made me a believer.

Watching teams in the bubble just made me realize we are years away from competing. We need to develop and resign our draft picks and he is one of them.

Next year, we are probably going to draft some kids out of highschool. If he doesn't become a star after year 2, are we going to just let him walk and become a star somewhere else?

We have to develop our guys and play them. No more signing journeymen to take the spot of the guys we need to develop. Don't get me wrong, there are busts in the league, I just don't think Knox is one of them.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,569

Post#67 » by Fat Kat » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:05 am

"If they don't bite when they're puppies, they usually won't bite." ~ Bill Parcells
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#68 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:05 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:I wanted Mikal

I would have taken Porter Jr. And I wasn't even a Porter Jr fan as the no.1 pick (before injury). But even after that injury, at that spot, it's perfect to take a risk on a top tier high ceiling guy.

there was no way in hell NY was going to draft him. We couldn't obtain his health records and at the time I believe they were only given to 2 teams. I don't blame them for passing.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#69 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:08 pm

lcd88 wrote:He was always known to be a player with bad body language, low motor, and gives up easily. Its hard to change that. No idea why the knicks drafted this guy knowing that. Hopefully no more of these type of players in this years draft. With that said i hope Thibs and his new coaching staff can get the best out of him. So far a bust to me!!

having a coach that actually acts like he believes (whether true or not) in you does a LOT for a players confidence. You can't just bench a guy, give him no development and expect him to grow
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#70 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:10 pm

Juco24 wrote:Watching these playoffs as a whole... I think it would be wise to move Knox to the 4. I'm not a Knox fan but if you can trade Randle- why not play Knox @ the 4? It's his best chance for success imo

agreed. I don't think he has the quickness to guard 3's.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#71 » by DaGawd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 pm

Knox was always supposed to be a 4 in today's NBA. The Knicks late to the party as usual.. What else is new... Hopefully this season coming we see him there almost exclusively
BaF
Washington Wizards
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#72 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:54 pm

DaGawd wrote:Knox was always supposed to be a 4 in today's NBA. The Knicks late to the party as usual.. What else is new... Hopefully this season coming we see him there almost exclusively

Tbf his rookie season he really wasn’t ready to play the 4 in terms of his body. But Knicks definitely should have had a plan to transition him to that position over years 2 and 3 since it is pretty obvious he will struggle to defend at the 3.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,085

Post#73 » by Juco24 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:18 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Knox was always supposed to be a 4 in today's NBA. The Knicks late to the party as usual.. What else is new... Hopefully this season coming we see him there almost exclusively

Tbf his rookie season he really wasn’t ready to play the 4 in terms of his body. But Knicks definitely should have had a plan to transition him to that position over years 2 and 3 since it is pretty obvious he will struggle to defend at the 3.

Full disclosure... I thought he was a 3 but I was using old school logic. He's definitely a 4 and should play that position mostly. I know he was working on getting stronger so hopefully that's still a priority. Once he fills into his body - be nice if he came into camp around 220, I think he can still be useful.

(RJ should be a 3 btw)

Definitely a make or break year imo. Let's just hope the Knicks don't force a square peg in a round hole.
Sethaholic16
Junior
And1: 121

Post#74 » by Sethaholic16 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:26 pm

http://www.tankathon.com/players/kevin-knox

And this is why you don't ignore analytics when drafting players
Jimmit79
Head Coach
And1: 5,251

Post#75 » by Jimmit79 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:37 pm

BUST fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,719

Post#76 » by 8516knicks » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:56 pm

Sethaholic16 wrote:http://www.tankathon.com/players/kevin-knox

And this is why you don't ignore analytics when drafting players

QUITE TELING! 8-) :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#77 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:03 pm

Juco24 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

Full disclosure... I thought he was a 3 but I was using old school logic. He's definitely a 4 and should play that position mostly. I know he was working on getting stronger so hopefully that's still a priority. Once he fills into his body - be nice if he came into camp around 220, I think he can still be useful.

(RJ should be a 3 btw)

Definitely a make or break year imo. Let's just hope the Knicks don't force a square peg in a round hole.

I think 2/3 are pretty interchangeable these days. Kinda depends on the team you are playing. But 2/3 are very mobile now so Knox defensively (with his cement feet) definitely is not a good look there. I think RJ is more likely to run into favorable matchups at the 2 because some teams go very small there. For Knicks benefit they probably want to introduce a knockdown shooter at the 2 and switch RJ to 3 to be more of a secondary playmaker from there although again he could do that from the 2 also.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#78 » by ny-n-md » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:04 pm

We need an incomplete option. We don’t have enough information to have an informed opinion one way or the other. His inconsistent role, minutes and coaching has made this a big mystery. I hope he pans out, but he has to push himself with the opportunities he gets.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#79 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:11 pm

Jimmit79 wrote:BUST fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

the only one who fooled you was the Knicks organization and their lack of a developmental staff WHICH, we did not have before
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#80 » by NYKAL » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:12 pm

our development program consisted of Fiz saying play hard or (forget his name) the trainer who broke DSJ's jump shot which, was never very good but, got worse

Return to New York Knicks