My Plan For Giannis: A Reunion With Brogdon

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

My Plan For Giannis: A Reunion With Brogdon 

Post#1 » by HurricaneDij25 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Figured I'd share my post recent blog post with the good folks on this board (It made that website's top story this afternoon):

I've seen this movie before as an NBA fan, and it feels like deja vu.

Back in the late '00's, Kobe played the role of the superstar on the star-studded team in the glamour city, while LeBron was the young MVP playing for the underachieving small-market franchise. These days, LeBron is playing Kobe's role from back then while Giannis has found his way into LeBron's old role.

More than a decade later, not much has changed within NBA circles, and it is not for the better of the casual fan.

The national media simply does not want Giannis in Milwaukee anymore, and regardless of how much he may want to stay, he is bound to face enormous pressure to leave the city that had practically raised him. This resembles everything that is wrong with our sport today, and it is an NBA culture that MeBron himself is solely responsible for.

Even though early reports suggest they'd be unwilling to trade Giannis even if he declines his max extension, the Bucks may want to entertain offers given the performance of Khris Middleton in Game 4 of their series. After seeing Middleton's proven ability to lead the team in the clutch during that particular moment, Milwaukee may be best served to bring in talent around him in the event Giannis leaves as a free agent in 2021. Khris is a good player as well, and you'd hate to just leave him on an island...

My best offer would be Sabonis, Warren, Aaron Holiday, and a future first round pick in exchange for Giannis and former Pacer Wesley Matthews.

This trade would allow for Giannis to work with a similar big man to what he currently has in Milwaukee with Lopez, only younger and bouncier, and in the name of Myles Turner. Turner was one of the few bright spots in our sweep against Miami. We have an obvious connection to Giannis in Malcolm, and Oladipo will still be here as well. Maybe also hire Billups as HC to help smooth his fundamentals a bit...

Jeremy Lamb being out really hurts our bench for next season, but with Matthews coming back in the proposed deal we could fill out our roster with bits and pieces in the short-term, such as a Patrick Patterson-type. The likes of T.J. McConnell, Doug McDermott, and Edmond Sumner are also here for next year.

Giannis is not a big-city personality and he should re-sign. And if he doesn't? Well, when you've been swept out of back-to-back postseasons like we have, you've got to risk it to get the biscuit in this business. See: Toronto w/ Kawhi.

I fully understand that the content in this particular write-up does not consist of material that most would like to hear. That said, I don't post to please others.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 926

Re: My Plan For Giannis: A Reunion With Brogdon 

Post#2 » by Tom White » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:The national media simply does not want Giannis in Milwaukee anymore, and regardless of how much he may want to stay, he is bound to face enormous pressure to leave the city that had practically raised him. This resembles everything that is wrong with our sport today, and it is an NBA culture that MeBron himself is solely responsible for.

I would hardly say Lebron is "solely responsible" for this. Long before him, players had used all forms of leverage to go where they wanted to go to play. Think of the draft that included Kobi Bryant (since you already referenced him). Kobi made it known where he wanted to go and, surprise surprise, guess where he wound up.

He is not the only star (I'll define a star as a self-illuminating mass of hot gas) to do this. How about John Elway, who refused Baltimore so he could wind up in Denver? Why he wanted to go to Denver, I've never understood. No one should pretend Shaq didn't want to go to LA, so there's that.

And there are many more if you just jog your memory a bit. The ones I've mentioned were just off the top of my head.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#3 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm for just adding the Patrick Patterson type to what we have now. anyone got thoughts on what young players are that type?
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Would obviously love Giannis. He's just not getting traded though.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:52 pm

Wizop wrote:I'm for just adding the Patrick Patterson type to what we have now. anyone got thoughts on what young players are that type?

Depends on what you mean exactly by Patrick Patterson type. But some names that may fit, to a degree at least:

Zach Collins
PJ Washington
Eric Paschall
Rui Hachimura
Royce O'Neal (more of a wing though)
Wendell Carter Jr

I don't see one out there right now that's available, but I'd look for a young Paul Millsap type. In some ways Myles still could be that guy, but he's never going to do certain things Millsap did.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm

The only way this happens is if Bucks finally relented and decided to trade him, but wanted to give a big F U to all the bigger market franchises who are openly tampering with Giannis

"Fine! We'll trade him. But you all can go screw yourselves, none of you are getting him!"
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#7 » by Moooose » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:12 am

I don't really see Giannis wanting to be in Indiana. He's on a totally different status mindset and confidence-wise and I am thinking that by now he must've seen how LeBron made his decisions. I think he can already pull off LeBron-like demands next season and wouldn't be surprised if he gets even bolder in his statements and his decisions.

Every team would want Giannis. With that said, I want him in Indiana but Milwaukee's gonna have a lot better offers than what we can give them. I'd much rather see us go for multiple key players who can run a system with Domas, Malcolm, Vic, and maybe Warren too. I don't think we're too far off from being THAT good. And most of the issues are things that even Nate has no control over with - injuries, rehab, inconsistencies, frustrations. I believe that a strong change of direction and mindset can flip nice these nice guys into bad boys. Nate might have been too soft on implementing what he wanted, or maybe too vague or disoriented.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Well, I mean. I don't hate it.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#9 » by Pacersike » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:18 am

I do feel like my dream has a higher probability of happening some day.

I have a dream that one day, all living creatures will live in freedom and with enough space for them.
HurricaneDij25
Junior
And1: 273

Post#10 » by HurricaneDij25 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:16 am

Tom White wrote:
HurricaneDij25 wrote:The national media simply does not want Giannis in Milwaukee anymore, and regardless of how much he may want to stay, he is bound to face enormous pressure to leave the city that had practically raised him. This resembles everything that is wrong with our sport today, and it is an NBA culture that MeBron himself is solely responsible for.

I would hardly say Lebron is "solely responsible" for this. Long before him, players had used all forms of leverage to go where they wanted to go to play. Think of the draft that included Kobi Bryant (since you already referenced him). Kobi made it known where he wanted to go and, surprise surprise, guess where he wound up.

He is not the only star (I'll define a star as a self-illuminating mass of hot gas) to do this. How about John Elway, who refused Baltimore so he could wind up in Denver? Why he wanted to go to Denver, I've never understood. No one should pretend Shaq didn't want to go to LA, so there's that.

And there are many more if you just jog your memory a bit. The ones I've mentioned were just off the top of my head.

Last I checked John Elway did not play in the NBA, and prior to 2010 there weren't really any NBA guys that demanded a trade "because Kobe did so".

You're only deluding yourself if you can't see that LeBron was the elephant in the room during the whole Anthony Davis fallout in New Orleans...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:46 pm

HurricaneDij25 wrote:
Tom White wrote:

Last I checked John Elway did not play in the NBA, and prior to 2010 there weren't really any NBA guys that demanded a trade "because Kobe did so".

You're only deluding yourself if you can't see that LeBron was the elephant in the room during the whole Anthony Davis fallout in New Orleans...

Meh. It was also the prime time for any player to exert their influence: one year away from their first unrestricted free agency.

Return to Indiana Pacers