ImageImage

Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene)

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

myrak433
Sixth Man
And1: 229

Re: Welcome to Atlanta Clint Capela (and Nene) 

Post#121 » by myrak433 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 2:01 pm

graymule wrote::crazy:

Are Skal and Capela any where near as good as their stats indicate? Will their talents really show up when they don their Hawk uniforms? Is it really possible that either of these new Hawks will make Atlanta better?

Last season, we all saw the old adage come true: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Cursed, snake bit or whatever you wish to call it, the Hawks were hit, right between the eyes. Early, the 25 game suspention to the late, being uninvited to the bubble play.

Still, we wonder about our draft pick or picks, and free agent or trade that Atlanta might make. Our new 2020-21 season is so far away. We always hear, and will again, how much all the other eastern NBA teams have improved and how the Hawks will have a hard time improving their record. Yet, they wish to trade for our players! Oh, well. Time will tell.

8-)

I believe that the Hawks will be fine this year and make the playoffs. I just cannot see a C/PF rotation of Capela, Collins(full season), Dedmon, and Skal as not being a major upgrade over Parker,D. Jones, and Alex Lin. I think with that alone the Hawks could make the playoffs. But if the Hawks can add one more wing via free agent or trade it would almost guarantee a top 5 seed in the east.
December of 2019 “Trae Young Involved in 'Emotional' Locker Room Scene After Hawks Loss. Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young is unsurprisingly getting tired of the team's struggles.”

Get Trae some HELP!!!!
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,025

Post#122 » by tbhawksfan1 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:46 pm

Are Skal and Capela any where near as good as their stats indicate? Will their talents really show up when they don their Hawk uniforms? Is it really possible that either of these new Hawks will make Atlanta better?

Last season, we all saw the old adage come true: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

Cursed, snake bit or whatever you wish to call it, the Hawks were hit, right between the eyes. Early, the 25 game suspention to the late, being uninvited to the bubble play.

Still, we wonder about our draft pick or picks, and free agent or trade that Atlanta might make. Our new 2020-21 season is so far away. We always hear, and will again, how much all the other eastern NBA teams have improved and how the Hawks will have a hard time improving their record. Yet, they wish to trade for our players! Oh, well. Time will tell.

8-)

I think Capela will make a big difference on D; That is absolutely a need for our young team and in any case I think the trade was a steal, great move for TS.

Am I missing something with Skal? All the salary sites have him as URFA and not listed on Hawks 21 salary
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,909

Post#123 » by jayu70 » Mon Sep 7, 2020 3:57 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:

8-)

I think Capela will make a big difference on D; That is absolutely a need for our young team and in any case I think the trade was a steal, great move for TS.

Am I missing something with Skal? All the salary sites have him as URFA and not listed on Hawks 21 salary
Skal is a RFA this offseason, same as Bembry. So we can extend them their qualifying offers of $3.4 and $3.7 million respectively and have them for 1 more season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,462

Post#124 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:57 am

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#125 » by HMFFL » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter
Big mistake going small ball.
I don't like it and I don't think it's a successful direction teams should take. I'm glad we havw him.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
jayu70
RealGM

Post#126 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:33 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

“When he got the plantar fasciitis, he really did a lot of things to get himself ready to play,” Lucas said. “He was coming off of (near) five 20-rebound nights (in late November), so he was playing really well. Clint was emerging as someone who I thought was positioning himself to be an All-Star in our league. His game has grown so much. His game is so versatile. He can run the floor. He’s the exact prototype of what you should be looking for in a center.

“He did so much for us defensively with his shot-blocking and his ability to run the floor in transition. Clint had begun to finish everything around the rim this year. He has a great left-handed jump hook. He’s really good faced-up. His free throws have been a work in progress. He’s about 63 or 64 percent, so he’s getting better there. The better and more versatile he is, the better Clint is. Now he’s getting to play with Trae Young and John Collins. I think he’s a perfect fit for them. He’s got spacing around him and they’re a young team for him to grow with. I think that’ll be less pressure for Clint because, in a sense, he becomes the veteran on that team.”

“He’s been moving well for a couple of weeks now,” Hawks coach Lloyd Pierce said. “He was fine. You see some of the subtle things that you don’t have to worry about. He had a great box out today. Defensive rebounding has been a big issue for us. He just knows how to do it. He knows how to hold off a guy with one arm and get (the ball) with the other. Just really simple things that you can’t teach. You want your guards and wings to go in and rebound, but you also want your one-on-one bigs to take out the other big and secure the possession and rebound. He showed a couple of those possessions where you instantly look down there, and you’re like, ‘We’ll be all right there.’ Trying to put him in different spots is going to be interesting over the next couple of days. He’s a pick-and-roll big, and we’re not doing any pick-and-roll the first two days, so you try to see what else you could do with Clint. The thing I know about Clint is when you start moving, he’s good. When you start running, he’s good. We’ll see a lot more of that as the week goes on.”
“We have to figure out what he and Trae look like. We have to figure out what he and John look like. We have to figure out what he and Cam look like,” Pierce said. “We have to figure out where else we can use him. The same thing defensively. We think part of the reason why he’s here is (Houston) decided to go in a different direction and a different style of play. We have to figure out what we’re doing on the defensive end and what his strengths are. He’s a great defensive rebounder. He’s done a pretty good job with rim protection. We’re not going to switch as much as Houston did, so in those moments we’re not, we have to figure out what coverages work best for him and what we’re trying to do are some of the things he likes to do. One of the things I’ll say is he’s done a tremendous job talking about defense. We had an individual session a couple of weeks back and after 40 minutes, we had gone over a couple of different scenarios on the defensive end. One thing that he can do is talk and honor the talk. I think that’s the absolute truth. It isn’t schemes. You can have the greatest schemes in the world, and you take them to a different team, and those schemes don’t work. It’s not the schemes, it’s the commitment and ability to work as a unit. I love the fact that he’s empowering his voice more so than the coverage. That will be tremendous for us moving forward.

“You guys think I’m a **** defensive coach. I’m doing the same thing (now). It’s about defense. Nothing has changed. You have to adapt to your team. You have to adapt to your personnel, and you have to figure out how to get these guys to adapt to each other. It takes time. Even with Clint, he still has to get used to who he’s talking to and how they respond back to him. This is the beauty of these two weeks. They’re going to get to talk to each other. We’ll come back and have a little bit of a head start of the next camp.”

jayu70
RealGM

Post#127 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
graymule
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,421

Post#128 » by graymule » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:59 pm

8-)

Capela: Sounds like he's here to stay! Enough of this trade talk where he is traded. LP likes him and so do I !!

:D
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#129 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#130 » by Spud2nique » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dynamic duo like Batman and Robin if anyone don’t like it it’s that man’s problem. :nod:
jayu70
RealGM

Post#131 » by jayu70 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:00 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Trae got new teeth :D
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#132 » by Spud2nique » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 pm

One of the best pick n roll tandems for sure in the league next season.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#133 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:01 am

Spud2nique wrote:One of the best pick n roll tandems for sure in the league next season.

:nod:

tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#134 » by tbhawksfan1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Mr. Capela might not be the best C in the league, but I say he's the best C the Atlanta Hawks have ever had
jayu70
RealGM

Post#135 » by jayu70 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:34 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Mr. Capela might not be the best C in the league, but I say he's the best C the Atlanta Hawks have ever had

Dikembe Mutumbo says hi.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#136 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:40 pm

tbhawksfan1 wrote:Mr. Capela might not be the best C in the league, but I say he's the best C the Atlanta Hawks have ever had

Jon Koncak had Superman hair!

1. Deke
2. Capela
3. Alicia Whorefart
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#137 » by Spud2nique » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:26 pm

So the highest rebounds per game by Deke were in 99-00 and 00-01, both times at 14.1 per. Clint is averaging 14.2, 2nd in the league behind Mr. Drummond’s 15.1.

Clint and Drummond will duel all season ala Willis/Rodman 92. Clean that glass baby.

Clint needs a solid game tonight against the Wolves to be seriously considered for player of the week. Comon Clint, shock the world, keep it rollin but more importantly get that win.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#138 » by Spud2nique » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#139 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 am

Read on Twitter
tbhawksfan1
Analyst

Post#140 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:32 am

You can cal it recency bias if you like but I'm going to take Clint even though I truely loved Deke

Return to Atlanta Hawks