ImageImageImageImageImage

Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) (Westbrook thread)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Re: Ideal PG for Thibodeau (and therefore the Knicks) 

Post#41 » by Phish Tank » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:03 am

I understand the premise behind preferring Westbrook over CP3.

However, I'd prefer to keep him away from NY. I think the injuries will finally catch up to him next year or at least the year after. Until he regains any sort of confidence shooting perimeter shots, he'll make life tough for all his teammates.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,868

Post#42 » by Clyde_Style » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 am

nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#43 » by nedleeds » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:13 am

I'm not very high on RJ, but if RJ isn't handling the ball and running pick and roll what the **** is he going to do on offense? His shooting is wretched. Just start Frank and have him shoot wide open spot ups.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#44 » by DowNY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:47 am

nedleeds wrote:I'm not very high on RJ, but if RJ isn't handling the ball and running pick and roll what the **** is he going to do on offense? His shooting is wretched. Just start Frank and have him shoot wide open spot ups.

Acting like RJ is a complete no with shooting isn’t smart.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#45 » by RHODEY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:50 am

moocow007 wrote:So there's been a lot of talk about PG's that could potentially be a Knick next season. From drafting one, signing one or trading for one. All sorts of names from guys in college guys to established NBA players and even vets playing overseas right now. As far as current NBA players, talking about guys that are free agents or that have been rumored to be possible trade candidates as their team look to go in a different direction due to salary, franchise reset or fit. Of all the names, one then would start thinking who among them would likely fit best with this team and (probably more importantly) the head coach cause. The last thing you want is to add someone that may not be a best fit for the team and the coach.

So...based on all the names that have been brought up as possibly looking for a new home next season, the one guy that I consistently come back to is this guy right here (already mocked up in blue and orange):

Rumors are right now that the Rockets MAY be looking to move Westbrook due to poor fit concerns with The Beard. The Knicks have been rumored to have been interested in Westbrook on numerous occasions in the past. Westbrook is a Derrick Rose like lead guard, probably about as close to Rose when Rose when in MVP shape as you can get. The Rockets did not exactly give up the farm to get Westbrook (2 future 1st round picks and 2 pick swap options but also got OKC to take CP3's giganto contract) so it's reasonable to justify that it would not take the farm for another team to acquire Westbrook. Westbrook would give the Knicks the best PG they've ever had since Clyde Frazier (even at this point in his career). And of course Westbrook can also help this team win as much as probably CP3 would.

Personally I think IF the Knicks do go with a big name, big dollar point guard (not that it would be my ideal scenario) maybe getting the Rockets on the phone and working out a deal where the Knicks acquire Westbrook. Westbrook is a shoot first point but he's also been top 3 in the league in assists per game for 4 of the last 5 years and is generally considered an excellent passer with great court vision. Westbrook is also about as intense a player as you can get so as an "example guy" of how you need to play he's it. And unlike CP3, Westbrook will still be in his prime for the length of his Super Max contract (also 3 years left on it). The contract likely will eat up a giant chunk of the team cap but what it does is it'll give the Knicks a legit lead guy while their young players develop that can make NY back from the dredges. Maybe not a championship team (due to the cap clogging contract that Westbrook) but unless the Knicks really believe they can be championship caliber in 3 years (let's be realistic here) maybe Westbrook would be your best bet get that can both perform and impact.

Trade for Westbrook and then use that 8th pick for a shooter (Vassell) or a defensive wing (Okoro). Then you have more freedom to move Randle for anyone that has best value instead of having to try to get back a PG in the deal.

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#46 » by RHODEY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:55 am

LibertyKnicks00 wrote:Kevin Knox + NYK 2021(Top 10 Protection) + DAL 2021

KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,959

Post#47 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:02 am

Is Westbrook really going to be in his prime? I think the dropoff is going to be steep once he exits that prime.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#48 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:29 am

I'm going to ask Jay Leno to pile on. Sorry Moo

Spoiler:
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#49 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:30 am

KnicksGadfly wrote:Is Westbrook really going to be in his prime? I think the dropoff is going to be steep once he exits that prime.

I thought he already exited his prime.
Free Palestine
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,959

Post#50 » by KnicksGadfly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:32 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
KnicksGadfly wrote:Is Westbrook really going to be in his prime? I think the dropoff is going to be steep once he exits that prime.

I thought he already exited his prime.

Yah...if he hasn't exited yet, we're getting a glimpse of what it will look like during this Rockets series. I think he has a chance to bounce back cause he was doing great earlier this year but I think the dropoff is going to come sooner than we think.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,260

Post#51 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:07 am

I feel the Pistons can offer a decent package plus vets like Blake and their first rd pick
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,659

Post#52 » by DaGawd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:19 am

Yeah Westbrook is already at the end of his prime. He's not the same dude athletically that he was in OKC.. And his skill level never caught up to his athleticism.... This has all the makings of classic Knicks
BaF
Washington Wizards
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#53 » by Fat » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:38 am

Rather have cp3 at 35 than Westbrook
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,183

Post#54 » by aq_ua » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:44 am

DaGawd wrote:Yeah Westbrook if already at the end of his prime. He's not the same dude athletically that he was in OKC.. And his skill level never caught up to his athleticism.... This has all the making of classic Knicks

Westbrook is going to be 32 and has thus far had a relatively injury free career. You know it's just coming, that one freak incident that completely forces him to change his game. Guys like Chris Paul and Mike Conley will age much more gracefully because of their reliance on skill over athleticism. Westbrook is going to have a real hard type making that transition. It's a headache we just don't need.
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,551

Post#55 » by Gravy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:41 am

He looks washed up in these playoffs, and his style of play is not conducive to mentoring. Hard pass at this stage of his career.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#56 » by RHODEY » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:42 am

aq_ua wrote:
DaGawd wrote:Yeah Westbrook if already at the end of his prime. He's not the same dude athletically that he was in OKC.. And his skill level never caught up to his athleticism.... This has all the making of classic Knicks

Westbrook is going to be 32 and has thus far had a relatively injury free career. You know it's just coming, that one freak incident that completely forces him to change his game. Guys like Chris Paul and Mike Conley will age much more gracefully because of their reliance on skill over athleticism. Westbrook is going to have a real hard type making that transition. It's a headache we just don't need.

and that albatross contract is a headache we just don't need...
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#57 » by FutureKnicksGM » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:21 am

The only right answer:

Spoiler:
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#58 » by nedleeds » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:11 pm

DowNY wrote:
nedleeds wrote:I'm not very high on RJ, but if RJ isn't handling the ball and running pick and roll what the **** is he going to do on offense? His shooting is wretched. Just start Frank and have him shoot wide open spot ups.

Acting like RJ is a complete no with shooting isn’t smart.

I live on Earth, where RJ shot 43.2% on 2's, 32% on 3's and most disheartening for a guy whose main talent was being aggressive and drawing contact 61% from the line. That is truly wretched shooting for a guy who literally plays shooting guard.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#59 » by dakomish23 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:45 pm

He's always had another person besides the PG be a major facilitator. So my assumption is that will be RJ's job.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,264
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#60 » by BKlutch » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:50 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
nedleeds wrote:I'M THE POINT GUARD NOW.

"When the going gets tough, the groin gets broken"

Wait, wasn't Frankie LicksTina a basketball player before he started boxing?

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Return to New York Knicks