ImageImageImage

If not Brad, who?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,013

Re: If not Brad, who? 

Post#61 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 pm

There should be a rule against creating new RealGM accounts during the playoffs. To minimize trolling.

Also, it's ride-or-die for me when it comes to Brad. But you already knew that.

EDIT: Since there's no rule against creating new accounts during the playoffs, I'm just gonna block them instead. :D **** ballboys.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#62 » by Celticsfromda6 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:48 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
Celticsfromda6 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Lol, Tatum cares about stats? He's one of the best young defenders in the game and on an off night rebounded his ass off and had a career high in assists. You, sir, are a tool and probably some Raptor fan's second account. Get a life.

Lmaooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone saying Mark Jackson might be a good choice is obviously a troll, and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt against the alternatives.

Since you’re quick to bash Mark Jackson, care to elaborate?

Since Mark Jackson has a better record than Brad Steven 3 seasons he coached Warriors.

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#63 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 pm

Celticsfromda6 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Celticsfromda6 wrote:Lmaooooo

Anyone saying Mark Jackson might be a good choice is obviously a troll, and that's giving them the benefit of the doubt against the alternatives.

Since Mark Jackson has a better record than Brad Steven 3 seasons he coached Warriors.

Mark Jackson told Steph Curry to hop on a sprained ankle at his church and pray the injury away. He's a **** nutcase. He told the team Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon. And he did a lot more as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/42b5ne/what_exactly_is_mark_jackson_accused_suspected_of/cz93961/

Also look what Kerr did with the Warriors vs him.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#64 » by Ed Pinkney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:02 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
2) He’s overrated and I dont believe he’s a championship level coach

I find this line of thinking (from mulitple posters here) a little baffling to be honest. What exactly is a championship level coach until they actually win a championship? How do you even define that?

Is Popovic a championship coach if he isn't gifted Duncan? How long does he coach if the Spurs never won a championship or Duncan bolted for Orlando? What exactly has Spoelstra done when he hasn't had peak James, Wade and Bosh? Oh, and if Popovic didn't cost the Spurs the Ray Allen game, the Heat might have lost three out of four Finals he coached.

If the Raptors don't trade for Leonard and Durant and Thompson don't get injured I am pretty sure everyone looks at Nick Nurse in a different way.

Has Stevens ever been the main reason the Celtics have lost a playoff series? I would argue no he hasn't. Have the Celtics overachieved almost every season he has been there? I would say in most cases yes. Do players get better playing for him? I would say yes. Do players who leave the Celtics all of sudden become better? I would say definitely not.

Is he perfect or not need to get better? Of course not. Could someone potentially do better with the exact same roster/injury list/opponents etc? Possibly, but there is not one single coach you could categorically say that they would be able to do so.

Front office stability, good ownership and a good coach are all surprisingly hard to have at the same time in the NBA and I think the Celtics have that. In the end, talent wins championships and at the moment the Celtics might not have enough of it who are ready to get the team to that point. That's what it boils down to.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,013

Post#65 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:08 pm

Ed Pinckney, preach!

They should also suspend me for trolling on my own board lol. Sorry guys, I'm on edge over game 7. Ed, along with hugepatsfan, makes a ton of good points though fr fr.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy

Post#66 » by Celticsfromda6 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Celticsfromda6 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

Mark Jackson told Steph Curry to hop on a sprained ankle at his church and pray the injury away. He's a **** nutcase. He told the team Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon. And he did a lot more as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/42b5ne/what_exactly_is_mark_jackson_accused_suspected_of/cz93961/

Also look what Kerr did with the Warriors vs him.

Do you really think those decision are made my the coaches, if that is case then let’s blame Kerr for Kevin Durant injury. Steve Kerr took over team that was prime for success, and added coaches who have NBA experience. Please go look Brad Stevens coaching staff, only dude who had NBA experience was Walter McCarty and He’s now coaching at Evansville.

Celticsfromda6
Ballboy

Post#67 » by Celticsfromda6 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:24 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Just thinking out loud... Who is a "championship-level coach" that has yet to win a championship? Or a coach of a title team that didn't have a HOF in his prime on their roster?

Larry Brown of the 2004 Pistons? With Ben Wallace a borderline HOFer.

Now, who has Brad Stevens coached in his 7 years that's a lock for the HOF, let alone an all-time great, not based on potential or projections but on actual body of work?

It’s not about championship, it’s about experience and deep knowledge of the NBA, Coaches who lack that experience and coming from College ranks. They make sure to added experience NBA assistant coaches. Look up how Jerry Stackhouse help development fred vanvleet and Pascal. Brad Stevens doesn’t have true experience NBA assistant coach.

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,950

Post#68 » by Bad-Thoma » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:35 am

Celticsfromda6 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
Celticsfromda6 wrote:Lmaooooo

I'm not wasting time on you, I'm blocking your dumb ass.
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy

Post#69 » by Celticsfromda6 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:36 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:
Celticsfromda6 wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:

I'm not wasting time on you, I'm blocking your dumb ass.

Loool, your maturity is showing.

GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#70 » by GoGreen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:36 am

Mark Jackson? Some of yall are seriously considering him over Brad? This thread is embarrassing.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#71 » by LewisnotMiller » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:50 am

tlee324 wrote:I'm not entirely on board with the "fire Brad" crowd, but always open to new ideas and willing to see this team upgrading wherever it can.

This team is still young, but that reasoning is dwindling fast. They are on the verge of turning the corner, and some have tossed around the theory that Brad is better with a team of "try-hards" and will fall short with a more championship-ready roster.

Who do you see as the right fit if Brad isn't your guy?

(I looked to see if there were any similar threads, didn't see any. Mods please feel free to merge as necessary.)

Brad, every day of the week. Not even any hesitation.
I'm super happy he's our coach. Is he perfect? Absolutely not. I think if you look at our approach and coaching staff overall, we can definitely tinker around the edges. Primarily (of course) some adjustment on offence would be helpful. We clearly have talent, and it's not like the offence is broken, per se. But an ability to adjust the offence more clearly would be great. A little more of a clear plan once the opponent manages to negate plans A and B, or for those nights when Kemba is physically overmatched, or Jalen and Smart just can't hit the outside shot.

Talent and roster construction is part of it too, I think, and that will be tricky to fix. I don't have any major issues with our current roster, but it's clearly thin, and we're asking young guys with holes in their games to step up. Rob, Grant, Romeo...they've all got a little something, but they're far from battle-hardened vets. I think that can make it hard on offence, since they're still somewhat reliant talents right now.

I've seen situations here (Australia) where coaching was being blamed for a team which was having some success (as much as anyone expected preseason, really) but was struggling to make the leap. Whilst we should always be striving to improve, I don't see Stevens in any way, shape or form as a core problem requiring fixing. Quite the opposite.

Sidenote : Some people seem to want him to be more emotive and rah-rah. Frankly, put me in the other camp. I like that he's calm and considered, and not a 'typical' college coach. Again, if we need more accountability and discipline, that's one thing, but this looks like a team that tries hard and plays together to me. I just think losing sucks, and people are casting about for a scapegoat.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#72 » by Ernest » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:30 am

I'm not going to read all this, but is anyone really thinking we'd be better off without Brad?
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#73 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:22 pm

I remember some of you wanted to fire Danny Ainge too.

This is a horrible thread. If Brad were to be fired, there would be a bidding war for his services, and he would have his next job lined up before he even got a chance to pack up his belongings in Boston.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#74 » by 3D Chess » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:25 pm

GoGreen wrote:Mark Jackson? Some of yall are seriously considering him over Brad? This thread is embarrassing.

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#75 » by Ernest » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I remember some of you wanted to fire Danny Ainge too.

I remember that too. It was like half the forum was convinced that they were much smarter than Ainge and he needed to go. What a joke.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#76 » by jfs1000d » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Fire Brad? Comical.

AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#77 » by AgentGreen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Brad is still learning and isn't the main reason. His biggest weakness is indeed adjustments during the game. Coming with adjustment into the next game? Probably better than most coaches and those who are better than him in both of those categories aren't available imo.

What Brad really needs is an assistent with a lot of league experience. We don't have an assistent on our staff who can elevate this team offensively.
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy

Post#78 » by Celticsfromda6 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:08 pm

AgentGreen wrote:Brad is still learning and isn't the main reason. His biggest weakness is indeed adjustments during the game. Coming with adjustment into the next game? Probably better than most coaches and those who are better than him in both of those categories aren't available imo.

What Brad really needs is an assistent with a lot of league experience. We don't have an assistent on our staff who can elevate this team offensively.

Fact!!!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#79 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:55 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I find this line of thinking (from mulitple posters here) a little baffling to be honest. What exactly is a championship level coach until they actually win a championship? How do you even define that?

Is Popovic a championship coach if he isn't gifted Duncan? How long does he coach if the Spurs never won a championship or Duncan bolted for Orlando? What exactly has Spoelstra done when he hasn't had peak James, Wade and Bosh? Oh, and if Popovic didn't cost the Spurs the Ray Allen game, the Heat might have lost three out of four Finals he coached.

Yes, Pop is the best coach of all time. Look at the championship team he had in 2014— Duncan was 37. That team wasnt the most talented team in the league, but they got the most possible out of that team coming off a devastating loss the previous year.

Spo just pantsed the two-time MVP last round. He repeatedly has gotten an untalented roster to vastly outperform expectations and has never had a season as disappointing as Stevens had last year.

A championship level coach is someone who is able to look an alpha-level player in the eyes and command respect. Pop does that. Spo does that. Stevens does not.

If the Raptors don't trade for Leonard and Durant and Thompson don't get injured I am pretty sure everyone looks at Nick Nurse in a different way.

Has Stevens ever been the main reason the Celtics have lost a playoff series? I would argue no he hasn't. Have the Celtics overachieved almost every season he has been there? I would say in most cases yes. Do players get better playing for him? I would say yes. Do players who leave the Celtics all of sudden become better? I would say definitely not.

Nurse coached his ass off vs GS and the defensive adjustments he threw at them befuddled the crap out of them. FOH with that criticism.

The last two years Stevens has had a supremely talented team. We vastly underperformed last season. I wouldnt say we overperformed this year, either— I think fans have a tendency to want to undersell our talent level to overstate Stevens’ impact. The stuff your doing is great, but dudes like Kenny Atkinson or Nate McMillan can say the exact same thing. Are they championship level coaches? Or are they just unemployed?

Is he perfect or not need to get better? Of course not. Could someone potentially do better with the exact same roster/injury list/opponents etc? Possibly, but there is not one single coach you could categorically say that they would be able to do so.

Sure, but this isnt an arrow in the quiver of Steens being a championship level coach.

Front office stability, good ownership and a good coach are all surprisingly hard to have at the same time in the NBA and I think the Celtics have that. In the end, talent wins championships and at the moment the Celtics might not have enough of it who are ready to get the team to that point. That's what it boils down to.

Again, people need to stop underselling our talent. We have a 22 year old fringe top 10 guy. Kemba started the ASG. Jaylen was a fringe all-star. This isnt the 2016 try hard team— were really, really good.
Celticsfromda6
Ballboy

Post#80 » by Celticsfromda6 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:11 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Yes, Pop is the best coach of all time. Look at the championship team he had in 2014— Duncan was 37. That team wasnt the most talented team in the league, but they got the most possible out of that team coming off a devastating loss the previous year.

Spo just pantsed the two-time MVP last round. He repeatedly has gotten an untalented roster to vastly outperform expectations and has never had a season as disappointing as Stevens had last year.

A championship level coach is someone who is able to look an alpha-level player in the eyes and command respect. Pop does that. Spo does that. Stevens does not.

Nurse coached his ass off vs GS and the defensive adjustments he threw at them befuddled the crap out of them. FOH with that criticism.

The last two years Stevens has had a supremely talented team. We vastly underperformed last season. I wouldnt say we overperformed this year, either— I think fans have a tendency to want to undersell our talent level to overstate Stevens’ impact. The stuff your doing is great, but dudes like Kenny Atkinson or Nate McMillan can say the exact same thing. Are they championship level coaches? Or are they just unemployed?

Sure, but this isnt an arrow in the quiver of Steens being a championship level coach.

Again, people need to stop underselling our talent. We have a 22 year old fringe top 10 guy. Kemba started the ASG. Jaylen was a fringe all-star. This isnt the 2016 try hard team— were really, really good.

You articulate it perfectly, now watch out for the cult followers of Brad Steven.

Return to Boston Celtics