Cade Cunningham

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Slim Charlez
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,451

Cade Cunningham 

Post#1 » by Slim Charlez » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:33 pm

So he seems to be the new can't miss prospect a couple of years after Zion. He's a big PG who doesn't seem to have many weaknesses in his game going from the little I've seen of him.

Anyone in here that can give a little more insight on his game? Comp? Strengths? Weaknesses?

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,195

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 am

not a Zion level prospect, but really good in his own right, hard to find a direct comp, he's kinda like luka a little bit in terms of the role he's gonna play, maybe some Penny to his game.

#2 in the 2021 class for me right now but would be undisputed #1 in this class for sure.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#3 » by MemphisX » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:not a Zion level prospect, but really good in his own right, hard to find a direct comp, he's kinda like luka a little bit in terms of the role he's gonna play, maybe some Penny to his game.

#2 in the 2021 class for me right now but would be undisputed #1 in this class for sure.

Who do you have #1?
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM

Post#4 » by clyde21 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:32 pm

MemphisX wrote:
clyde21 wrote:not a Zion level prospect, but really good in his own right, hard to find a direct comp, he's kinda like luka a little bit in terms of the role he's gonna play, maybe some Penny to his game.

Who do you have #1?

Green
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,582

Post#5 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:10 pm

Ya not a Zion level prospect, but a damn good one.

I dont think he has Luka level of overall feel for the game, so I wont compare him to Luka. Id say a 6'6 version of Simmons who isnt afraid to shoot the ball. I think his feel and passing game is pretty much on par with Simmons at the same age. He's not a good shooter yet, but he isnt afraid to shoot and the form is solid.

I think at the moment I have him #3 in this class behind Kuminga and Green. But there are probably 4-5 guys in this class that I would take #1 in the 2020 draft.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#6 » by MotownMadness » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:14 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Ya not a Zion level prospect, but a damn good one.

I dont think he has Luka level of overall feel for the game, so I wont compare him to Luka. Id say a 6'6 version of Simmons who isnt afraid to shoot the ball. I think his feel and passing game is pretty much on par with Simmons at the same age. He's not a good shooter yet, but he isnt afraid to shoot and the form is solid.

I think at the moment I have him #3 in this class behind Kuminga and Green. But there are probably 4-5 guys in this class that I would take #1 in the 2020 draft.

What do you think about Jalen Johnson? Hes got good size on the wing and looks to do some playmaking.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:15 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Who do you have #1?

Green

Is he projected to be a good shooter? Hes definitely a athletic freak attacking the rim though.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:16 pm

I am loving the Penny comparison. 23/24 year old Penny was a elite player, thats what his style reminds me of.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,582

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:22 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Ya not a Zion level prospect, but a damn good one.

What do you think about Jalen Johnson? Hes got good size on the wing and looks to do some playmaking.

Ben Simmons without the athleticism haha.

He is by far my biggest question mark in this class. I can see him going top 5 with being 6'8 and a 7 foot wingspan and his ability to handle and facilitate. But I can also see him going late teens early 20s as well. It all really depends on just how good is his footspeed is. If his foot speed and athleticism look fine against college competition and his athleticism isnt a big question mark, I can see him going really high. His jumper isnt consistent but really solid form on it and looks to be very workable.

But he could end up being like a Kyle Anderson. Anderson was the #2 high school recruit, another 6'8 wing that could really pass. But once he got against college competition, it was clear as day he didnt have the foot speed and athleticism to ever be a consistent shot creator for himself or for others.

Jalen is definitely more athletic than Anderson, just really need to see how his athleticism looks against better competition before I can really say much.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#10 » by nolang1 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:34 pm

More skilled, slightly less athletic Iguodala.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:46 pm

Iggy had some borderline generational strength / athleticism for a swing wing. I dont see that with Cade. Like, Iggy as a AZ Freshman had more muscle mass than 50% of the veteran swing guys in the NBA. How some guys went ahead of him in 2004 (Childress, Araujo, Harris, Livingston) I will never understand. He was a stud.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#12 » by King Ken » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:23 am

He's the same type of prospect as guys like LeMelo, Luka, and these offensively versatile lead initiators who can really really pass it. He's clearly very good but we will see his level in OSU
clyde21
RealGM

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:20 am

MotownMadness wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Who do you have #1?

Green

Is he projected to be a good shooter? Hes definitely a athletic freak attacking the rim though.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1956018&hilit=Jalen+Green
Sea2003
Sophomore
And1: 97

Post#14 » by Sea2003 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 am

Cade Cunningham is in a tier of his own. He dominated the EYBL, and USA, and high school hoops. However, as good as Cade is in my opinion, i think the one thing he needs to improve on is his scoring aggressiveness. Granted, he did play on a loaded Montverde team.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#15 » by MemphisX » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:09 am

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

Who do you have #1?

Green

Ok, I feel you on this one.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:15 am

How can anyone have Kuminga over Cade? like what's the reasoning even, Kuminga will be a good pro but like come on
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#17 » by retrobro90 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:22 am

Fischella wrote:How can anyone have Kuminga over Cade? like what's the reasoning even, Kuminga will be a good pro but like come on

Agreed. I can understand looking at Kuminga's physical tools and scoring ability thinking he's got real positives but just eye test I feel like his dribble is always too high and his hips are stiff. Strides in his gait aren't particularly long. He's clearly got some run and jump athleticism but he uses it poorly imo.

Cade is very fluid with the ball in his hands. Footwork and handles beyond his years. Not the most insane athlete but not a bad one either. Both these guys need to improve exploding through contact which is true for basically every young player but right now I trust Cade's ability to develop as a finisher based on his ability to finesse his way there easily.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#18 » by Catchall » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:54 pm

He's a unique player, a prototypical big guard. He's built like Tyreke Evans and Jim Jackson, but is more skilled and plays with more finesse. I can see a bit of Ben Simmons to his game.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#19 » by Marcus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:48 pm

I hate Penny comps, (mainly cause he's my fave all-time and i won't receive any comps, IDC), the most intriguing one i've heard is Oscar Robertson for the do it all kind of game Cade has. Big PG, great vision, willing and effective defender on and off-ball. If he gets the jumper to fall then we have something special to work with. My concern was with him turning the corner at the pro level but i'm less concerned with that now given his ability off the PnR, the way he uses angles, and his pension to utilize whatever space the defender gives him. I'm struggling to find a team he wouldn't fit on and benefit.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#20 » by nolang1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Iggy had some borderline generational strength / athleticism for a swing wing. I dont see that with Cade. Like, Iggy as a AZ Freshman had more muscle mass than 50% of the veteran swing guys in the NBA. How some guys went ahead of him in 2004 (Childress, Araujo, Harris, Livingston) I will never understand. He was a stud.

Yeah, Cade isn't bad in that regard either (especially considering he's taller and longer), and none of us can assume what his freshman year level is yet. Cade is closer to being 'generational' in terms of strength/athleticism for a player that size (I mean LeBron was born the exact same year as Iguodala) than Iguodala is to being a generational passer.

Return to NBA Draft