ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,170

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#1381 » by Frank Lee » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:22 am

Jeez DeKline.... you are two thumbs, a snap and a twirl on 99 guys, and you are trying to ‘warm up’ on Hampton ??? :wink:

He’s one of many. I wonder what the stats are concerning 1st and 2 nd rounders who ink up a second deal. How many end up over seas? Who’s out of the league after their guarantees run out..... or for real time observation, just watch Ty Jerome
What ? Me Worry ?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,476

Post#1382 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Jeez DeKline.... you are two thumbs, a snap and a twirl on 99 guys, and you are trying to ‘warm up’ on Hampton ??? :wink:

He’s one of many. I wonder what the stats are concerning 1st and 2 nd rounders who ink up a second deal. How many end up over seas? Who’s out of the league after their guarantees run out..... or for real time observation, just watch Ty Jerome

Great gif man! Love it! :lol:
And yeah, I get your inference. And I agree, I'm somewhat overtly positive on a great many prospects in this draft for sure. But what I'm so positive about with those specific players is their individual elite attributes and skillsets, And how they'd be translatable and a contributory benefit to our roster. However with Hampton, He has elite athleticism, great size, and supposedly a decent basketball IQ. But it's just that his numbers and overall shooting percentage were so woefully underwhelming for someone with his talent level. And the majority of scouts tout his potential. But that doesn't really qualm the concerns over his lack of production and efficiency. But my hope is that in working with Hardaway and Mike Miller, He'll surprise with his improvement. :wink:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1383 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Again, Yet another really low cost quality bench scoring depth option. Depth will be key for our push into the playoffs next season. At an absolute minimum, Harris could become an ideal microwave 6th man scorer for us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#1384 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:08 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Jeez DeKline.... you are two thumbs, a snap and a twirl on 99 guys, and you are trying to ‘warm up’ on Hampton ??? :wink:

In the worst draft of the decade, 30 great prospects would be found that will make us better only if we trade some of our decent players for some more draft picks in the 20s or later.

I kid I kid...not really
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1385 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:38 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

In the worst draft of the decade, 30 great prospects would be found that will make us better only if we trade some of our decent players for some more draft picks in the 20s or later.

I kid I kid...not really

Perspective man! :wink:
Everything is an " Eye of the beholder " scenario when it comes to value. Yes, This draft is definitely lacking traditional star power at the top. Yes this draft is projected to perhaps at best yield role players or maybe rotation level players. But as last season BLATANTLY indicated, Depth is very important. And this draft at the very least would provide us with low cost CONTRACTUALLY CONTROLLED positional depth at key areas of need, That were also exposed last season.

These minimal cost rookie scale contracts will also become premium value assets in any potential future trades we might covet. Especially with consideration to the currently restrictive economy and potential cap reductions. And really, The players that we're talking about replacing them with on the team such as Okobo, Diallo, and Kaminsky are barely even decent bench players as is, And would most likely be gone anyways this summer. At least some of these prospects mentioned could give us some actual hope for better production, improvement, consistent impact and a lot more upside. We could definitely use more potential high value assets on this team, As currently, We're depleted, compared to most other teams anyways. So again, The overall value of these prospects and also this draft is really dependent upon the lenses you're using to guage and assess things. :D
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1386 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1387 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I would stake my house on Jevon Carter being better than Tyrese Maxey at least through 2022.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#1388 » by bwgood77 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:20 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I kid I kid...not really

Everything is an " Eye of the beholder " scenario when it comes to value. Yes, This draft is definitely lacking traditional star power at the top. Yes this draft is projected to perhaps at best yield role players or maybe rotation level players. But as last season BLATANTLY indicated, Depth is very important. And this draft at the very least would provide us with low cost CONTRACTUALLY CONTROLLED positional depth at key areas of need, That were also exposed last season.

These minimal cost rookie scale contracts will also become premium value assets in any potential future trades we might covet. Especially with consideration to the currently restrictive economy and potential cap reductions. And really, The players that we're talking about replacing them with on the team such as Okobo, Diallo, and Kaminsky are barely even decent bench players as is, And would most likely be gone anyways this summer. At least some of these prospects mentioned could give us some actual hope for better production, improvement, consistent impact and a lot more upside. We could definitely use more potential high value assets on this team, As currently, We're depleted, compared to most other teams anyways. So again, The overall value of these prospects and also this draft is really dependent upon the lenses you're using to guage and assess things. :D

Yes, premium value assets like Okobo and Archie Goodwin....or early picks like Jackson, Chriss and Bender. The draft is mostly a crapshoot. How guys will adapt to the NBA just because they were ALL college or international stars is unknown, as we've seen time and time again.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1389 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:31 pm

An interesting aspect of this draft is the super long period from when they last played. Some of these guys could really work hard and change their games or bodies and be far different players than they were last March when the college season shut down.

At least with basketball guys can actually play the sport when practicing unlike football where training is mostly drills. It's possible this season doesn't start until like February so it's going to be a long time for guys between organized games. In retrospect it's a really good thing the suns played in the bubble because it's going to be a really long layoff for vets on the non bubble team.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1390 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

I would stake my house on Jevon Carter being better than Tyrese Maxey at least through 2022.

Definitely agree man! :nod: :-?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1391 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:32 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I kid I kid...not really

Yes, premium value assets like Okobo and Archie Goodwin....or early picks like Jackson, Chriss and Bender. The draft is mostly a crapshoot. How guys will adapt to the NBA just because they were ALL college or international stars is unknown, as we've seen time and time again.

Yes, Of course you're right about those players not panning out as expected. But we now have a seemingly better scouting team, As well as a better development system too I'd say as evidenced by identifying Cam, And the rapid growth and improvement of both Bridges and Johnson. I agree that the draft is mostly a crapshoot. However, The level of risk is at least somewhat minimized by the fact that the contractual cost/ committment is relatively low for a late first to early 2nd round pick. Also, it's not like we'll be looking to depend on a heavy impact from our rookies at this stage. So there won't be as much immense pressure needing to be put on them. And if they hit, And ARE ACTUALLY productive, Then you absolutely do have a premium trade asset.

But as with any prospect, There odds of success are largely contingent upon their environment and structure in place for development. Look at the Spurs/ Warriors/ Toronto, etc. They constantly are pulling impact ( steals) prospects from the draft. So I'd argue also that the level of success can also be increased by having a quality scouting staff and actually putting in their due diligence in scouting prospects. Obviously we aren't yet on the level of those particular teams just yet. But it appears that we're on the right track. So considering that we're unlikely to invest large portions of our cap on any significant free agents this summer anyways, I say why not replace those minimal impact 3rd string bench players with actual young, high potential prospects that actually have more proven elite attributes and potential? Capitalize on the low risk/ high upside. And add more depth with players that actually have a chance of potential improvement?

Again low cost, low risk asset acquisition. I mean it's not like we currently have a solid stable of assets. We need to replenish our asset pool and depth anyways. Just ask yourself, Who would you rather take a chance on for our 3rd string depth?

Okobo/ Diallo / Kaminsky? ( from what they've shown so far).
Or maybe prospects like:

- Riller or Tre Jones or Malachi Flynn or Tyshon Alexander ( to replace Okobo).
- Jalen Smith or Paul Reed or Pokusevski or Achiuwa or Killian Tillie ( To replace Kaminsky)?
- Oturu or Carey or Tillman or Perry or Azubuike ( to replace Diallo)?

Now I'm aware of your argument against comparing stats from college vs. the NBA. But let's be honest when looking at their translatable production, percentages ( efficiency), athleticism and talent level by comparison for an accurate value assessment. And then tell me that we're really better off keeping Diallo/ Okobo/ Kaminsky? :dontknow:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1392 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:27 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Definitely a very good point on this one. :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1393 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:41 am

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Important details on the draft combine.

No draft workouts??? Some really talented prospects with potentially elite skillsets are likely to fall then maybe? That just means greater value in a trade back scenario for us hopefully! :wink: :rock:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1394 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Patrick Williams is a name that hasn't been brought up much but I think he could be on their radar at 10. The big strong athletic forward player type is important to have in the playoffs to throw at some of the leagues beer guys and at least wear them down some over the course of a series. Suns also just generally need more athletes especially if oubre isn't in the long term plans.

Williams is a bit of a project but I think his 3pt shot has a real good chance of developing and he's a high ceiling guy in general.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1395 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:47 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Patrick Williams is a name that hasn't been brought up much but I think he could be on their radar at 10. The big strong athletic forward player type is important to have in the playoffs to throw at some of the leagues beer guys and at least wear them down some over the course of a series. Suns also just generally need more athletes especially if oubre isn't in the long term plans.

Williams is a bit of a project but I think his 3pt shot has a real good chance of developing and he's a high ceiling guy in general.

Yep.
:nod: He's definitely got that positional defensive versatility upside. I for my part see him as more of a young Patrick Patterson/ Jeff Green hybrid. But he's a perfect example of a very solid consistent ( yet not dazzling) prospect across the board. I'd fully expect the Spurs to take him or perhaps Tyler Bey and make either of them into a defensive star. :roll:

But for our needs, P Williams wouldn't be too bad at all, As he's again got the versatility, size, strength to play the 3 or the 4 if needed. There's also a good number of strong athletic bigs to be pulled from this draft. In terms of potential with size, dominant strength and versatility in the post 2 other names to look at in that capacity would be :

Reggie Perry
http://www.tankathon.com/players/reggie-perry

Isiah Stewart
http://www.tankathon.com/players/isaiah-stewart

And if you want immense size, defense, wearing down opposing defenses in the post. Then you of course have:
Udoka Azubuike.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/udoka-azubuike

( He could be utilized well against the biggest, strongest 4/5s' such as Steven Adams/ Jonas Valuncias/ Andre Drummond/ Embiid? And still of course to wear down, brutalize opposing defenses. Preferably though, I'd prefer to prioritize versatile switchable defense in space. Such as Vassell or Okoro at 10. Or Tyler Bey or Paul Reed or Precious Achiuwa in the late teens to mid 20s'. :nod:

But don't forget the anomaly of Trevelin queen in the 2nd round as well.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1396 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Interestingly enough Week, They have Patrick Williams mocked to go to the Suns at 10! Although I would emphatically prefer Vassell at 10 over Williams IF he's obviously there at 10. :nod:
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#1397 » by RunDogGun » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:An interesting aspect of this draft is the super long period from when they last played. Some of these guys could really work hard and change their games or bodies and be far different players than they were last March when the college season shut down.

At least with basketball guys can actually play the sport when practicing unlike football where training is mostly drills. It's possible this season doesn't start until like February so it's going to be a long time for guys between organized games. In retrospect it's a really good thing the suns played in the bubble because it's going to be a really long layoff for vets on the non bubble team.

Good point. I am really glad they got the experience and had success as well. Granted we got lucky people were resting, but overall, the guys got to be a team.

I was also glad Williams started Cam to fill in for Oubre. I really wanted that line up before Covid and when Oubre got injured. Cam stepped up nicely.

This draft is a bit limited but there are a few interesting choice. Williams at 10 would put Oubre as a possible trade chip. But honestly, I would like to get someone bigger and stronger. I'd really like to see our ending line up before Oubre went down for a solid 20 games, and then bring Cam and the rookie off the bench together. Payne played well too.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#1398 » by darmani » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:36 pm

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1399 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Very nice share man! :thumbsup:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1400 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

He's a really intriguing prospect at 6'7 with a 7ft+ wingspan. ( similar to Oubre).
And again, He was spotted in Phoenix doing predraft workouts along with Josh Hall and Tyshon Alexander by Matt Babcock. Just saying............... :wink:

This is good also:
Read on Twitter
?s=09

Return to Phoenix Suns