ImageImageImageImageImage

Political Roundtable Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Re: Political Roundtable Part XXIX 

Post#61 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:Preventing panic is 10% of your job as President. The other 90% is adopting policies to save people's lives instead of actively discouraging people from wearing masks and social distancing.

What part of "It's a Democrat hoax" was preventing panic?

The annoying thing is he's not even a very good liar, it's just his brainwashees want to believe him so badly they'll swallow any snake oil he offers, even fake snake oil.

The panic he was attempting to prevent was 100% about the stock market. He was protecting stockholders, not citizens. His stakeholders, not the public good. Note how he cites every uptick in the market as if the country is doing well. Closing on 200,000 deaths means the country is by no means "well". However if you look at the increase in wealth of the top 1% during this time, he is doing a fine job of protecting his core constituency: the exceedingly wealthy.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#62 » by Pointgod » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:36 pm

dobrojim wrote:On FB of course he still has his defenders who with apparent
sincerity argue that preventing panic was the right thing to
do. Of course that’s so easily refuted by the fact that his
entire modus operandi is trying to make people afraid of
the very things he himself fears, caravans of immigrants
and Joe Biden’s America.

But that flies in the face of calling it a hoax. You should point that out to his defenders, not that it matters but it exposes their complete hypocrisy and lack of critical thinking.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,970

Post#63 » by dckingsfan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:22 pm

This was an epic failure at the national level. Trump is front and center on this no doubt. His lack of transparency and false and misleading statements, alacrity in addressing the virus and his leadership on deploying our resources to address the pandemic will be studied for decades.

But Fauci and the CDC failed as well. This was an epic failure of our federal government to respond.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,182

Post#64 » by Zonkerbl » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:15 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Zonkerbl wrote:Preventing panic is 10% of your job as President. The other 90% is adopting policies to save people's lives instead of actively discouraging people from wearing masks and social distancing.

The annoying thing is he's not even a very good liar, it's just his brainwashees want to believe him so badly they'll swallow any snake oil he offers, even fake snake oil.

The panic he was attempting to prevent was 100% about the stock market. He was protecting stockholders, not citizens. His stakeholders, not the public good. Note how he cites every uptick in the market as if the country is doing well. Closing on 200,000 deaths means the country is by no means "well". However if you look at the increase in wealth of the top 1% during this time, he is doing a fine job of protecting his core constituency: the exceedingly wealthy.

That's the answer isn't it. Literally all he cares about is the value of his stock portfolio.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#65 » by Wizardspride » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#66 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Zonkerbl wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

That's the answer isn't it. Literally all he cares about is the value of his stock portfolio.

Ditto the entire GOP and those who fund their election campaigns. Koch brothers and on.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#67 » by dobrojim » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:52 pm

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#68 » by Wizardspride » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#69 » by pancakes3 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:48 pm

i mean, yeah. we all know why.
Bullets -> Wizards
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#70 » by Wizardspride » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizardspride » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:17 pm

"A persistent but unfounded criticism leveled against those who protested the United States's involvement in the Vietnam War is that protesters spat upon and otherwise derided returning soldiers, calling them "baby-killers", etc. During the late 1980s and early 1990s, years after the war in Vietnam ended, the proliferation of these spitting stories increased greatly. As both a Vietnam veteran and a member of the anti-war movement, Lembcke knew this criticism ran counter to what he personally experienced and witnessed. To the contrary, one of the hallmarks of the period's anti-war movement was its support for the troops in the field and the affiliation of many returning veterans with the movement. Lembcke was motivated to look further into the truth and origins of this spat-upon veteran myth, and the contradiction between historical fact and popular collective memory. Other observers had already noticed the proliferation of stories and questioned whether the spitting stories even made sense."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spitting_Image

Was thinking about this this morning, about how I wanted to grab a megaphone and scream "murderer! baby killer!" at Trump, and how he would get the authentic Vietnam vet experience finally, and then I was like, huh actually that sounds a lot like Fox News hyperbole, wonder if it's true, googled it and this is what came up.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#73 » by montestewart » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Mr. Subtlety. "I don't want them to see it coming."

Thanks for keeping us abreast, dobro!
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I feel like some form of "ignorance of the law is no excuse" applies here.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#75 » by Pointgod » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:04 pm

Some real talk about Republicans and the Republican Party. The whole article is a great read from a Republican strategist.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/09/ex-republican-strategist-surveys-the-wreckage-of-trumps-gop

When I talk to Republican politicians, I hear Franz von Papen, because they all know that Trump is an idiot. They all know that he’s uniquely unqualified to be president. But they convinced themselves that he was a necessity: “We needed him to defeat this.” It’s incredibly naive and incredibly weak. There’s something about it that is fundamentally un-American. That conservative opinion was epitomized by this essay in [the Claremont Review of Books] called, “The Flight 93 Election.” It’s incredibly racist and it’s xenophobic. And basically what he’s saying is we need Donald Trump to save us from nonwhite people and Muslims, non-Christians. But at the root of that is a fundamental rejection of what it is to be an American.

I think we live in a two-party system. It’s either Biden or Trump. I spent most of my life criticizing the Democratic Party—I don’t think it’s perfect. But I think the Democratic Party has responded to this moment in a much more legitimate, defensible way than the Republican Party has. So, yeah, I’ll work for Democrats and that’s who I’ll vote for. It’s a party that hasn’t disqualified itself.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#76 » by Wizardspride » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Pointgod wrote:Some real talk about Republicans and the Republican Party. The whole article is a great read from a Republican strategist.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/09/ex-republican-strategist-surveys-the-wreckage-of-trumps-gop

When I talk to Republican politicians, I hear Franz von Papen, because they all know that Trump is an idiot. They all know that he’s uniquely unqualified to be president. But they convinced themselves that he was a necessity: “We needed him to defeat this.” It’s incredibly naive and incredibly weak. There’s something about it that is fundamentally un-American. That conservative opinion was epitomized by this essay in [the Claremont Review of Books] called, “The Flight 93 Election.” It’s incredibly racist and it’s xenophobic. And basically what he’s saying is we need Donald Trump to save us from nonwhite people and Muslims, non-Christians. But at the root of that is a fundamental rejection of what it is to be an American.

I think we live in a two-party system. It’s either Biden or Trump. I spent most of my life criticizing the Democratic Party—I don’t think it’s perfect. But I think the Democratic Party has responded to this moment in a much more legitimate, defensible way than the Republican Party has. So, yeah, I’ll work for Democrats and that’s who I’ll vote for. It’s a party that hasn’t disqualified itself.

I just don't see how you can point to Obama and see any kind of equivalent fascist tendency. Obama sacrificed Democratic party power over principle. That's the opposite of what the Republicans are doing now.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizardspride » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#79 » by Pointgod » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:36 am

Zonkerbl wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Some real talk about Republicans and the Republican Party. The whole article is a great read from a Republican strategist.

I just don't see how you can point to Obama and see any kind of equivalent fascist tendency. Obama sacrificed Democratic party power over principle. That's the opposite of what the Republicans are doing now.

Projection. Republicans are only ever about projecting what they want to do onto other people. That’s why the claimed Obama acted like a dictator but now they’re happy to act out all of their Facist tendencies under Trump. The same people that claimed that you shouldn’t physically fight white supremacists encourage running over peaceful protestors with their cars and shooting protestors in the streets. Think of everything they attack Democrats of doing and it’s either what Republicans currently do or will do once they get enough power
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizardspride » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Return to Washington Wizards