ImageImageImageImageImage

Where do you rank Steve Kerr as a coach?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Where do you rank Steve Kerr as a coach? 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Wed Sep 9, 2020 4:33 am

In terms of creating a culture, he is top notch. I do think his in-game adjustments are behind the likes of Spoelstra, Stevens, Pop, and Nurse for sure.

Kerr is comfortably a top 7 all around coach imo. Somewhere around Carlisle and Snyder.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Re: Where do you rank Steve Kerr as a coach? 

Post#2 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:28 pm

I love his offensive system, and as a leader of a team and a coaching staff he's exceptional. I think he's a little stubborn on some of his beliefs.

I think Pop has fallen well off since he doesn't have "his guys" anymore and those guys are hard to find I think he's not going to be as effective anymore.

So Kerr may be top 5 but not top 3.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#3 » by Mav_Carter » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:31 pm

There's a massive gap between how fans/media perceive Kerr and how players perceive Kerr...
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#4 » by Jester_ » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:39 pm

Nurse????

Over Carlisle and Kerr?? On the same level as Pop and Stevens??????

Be honest how much did you smoke before making this thread
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#5 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:35 pm

Nurse is pretty overrated. They were handed the finals on a silver platter and people act like he took some talentless team to a #2 seed.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#6 » by ChuckDurn » Wed Sep 9, 2020 6:10 pm

He’s 6’3”, so he ranks probably 9th or 10th by height.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#7 » by ClutchUp » Wed Sep 9, 2020 10:07 pm

Top five for sure.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#8 » by WarriorGM » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Kerr implemented a great system that maximized the Splash Brothers and he schmoozes well with media but aside from that I'm unsure there is anything special.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Nurse is pretty overrated. They were handed the finals on a silver platter and people act like he took some talentless team to a #2 seed.

I get the impression Nurse is terrific. Worked his way up as a coach through some really dismal leagues using his own skill not just as a beneficiary of the halo that comes from being in a successful organization. That Masai picked him to replace Casey makes me believe that Masai saw his contributions as an assistant coach for the Raptors as very important.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#9 » by Little Digger » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 pm

1. The 1/2 Filipino in Miami.

2. even Even Stevens couldn’t handle Kyrie

3. Pop

4. Nellie

5. Kerr
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,700

Post#10 » by Warriorfan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:21 am

10 more years maybe 2 more title HOF 3rd most titles
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#11 » by whocurrz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:21 am

I think he is really good at developing great habits like moving the ball and moving without like Pop spends the first week of practice doing every year. I think the roster taking the league by storm with a lineup that had a combo great perimeter defenders who could pass and really take advantage of the spacing from Klay and Curry was intended but with the Lee injury and success early I think he found a weapon that no team could match and took it to a new level that may have been a bit less prominent than it should have been.

I think he coaches skills that are necessary to winning ball and the exact things Phil and Pop would build around and how they had success year in and year out constantly getting lots of success from role players. I think the young guys all developed better habits and got better.

My only major gripe was 2016 Finals Game 7 I thought he choked with the lineup. Barnes was clearly out of sorts and didn’t have the mental fortitude to get out of his head. Livingston barely played and I think Barbosa was the type of wild card worth playing who can open a game up with his speed and be a good gunner. Varejao played way too much but his attitude was at least like Barbosa where he always came in ready off the bench and he did get some decent hustle rebounds. But Livingston barely playing with Barnes slump and Iguodala’s back was mind-boggling.

All in all I actually wouldn’t take any other coach over him. Great with culture, developing habits for both old and young guys, good at managing different personalities and getting guys to buy in, coaches a style that attracts players and makes us desirable, his experience as a player where he hit big shots and played for the greatest team of all time as well as two of the best coaches gives him credibility. Plus as a person I think his background with adversity and willingness to speak on issues that are meaningful to players gives him a level of human connection that can be very meaningful to players.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,798

Post#12 » by floppymoose » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:26 am

I have Kerr and Rivers at the top. Just don't let Rivers GM :lol:

There is a reason Iggy and KD came to GS and George and Kawhi to LAC.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#13 » by Mylie10 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:33 am

My hope is that when Kerr eventually retires we can hire Nash. And Nash will end up being the scapegoat for the Nets at some point and Kyrie will want him out. KD will play middle man and Nash will be the good guy and step aside. That’s where we come in.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:00 am

whocurrz wrote:My only major gripe was 2016 Finals Game 7 I thought he choked with the lineup. Barnes was clearly out of sorts and didn’t have the mental fortitude to get out of his head. Livingston barely played and I think Barbosa was the type of wild card worth playing who can open a game up with his speed and be a good gunner. Varejao played way too much but his attitude was at least like Barbosa where he always came in ready off the bench and he did get some decent hustle rebounds. But Livingston barely playing with Barnes slump and Iguodala’s back was mind-boggling.

I wasn't happy with the way Kerr coached that game in the 2019 Clippers series where the Warriors were up big but the Clippers came back and won. He took a hot Curry out and introduced the garbage crew in a playoffs game. After seeing all the runs that are possible with the weaponization of the three, a coach should have figured out you need to shut the opponent down completely. None of the polite nonsense. So the series was extended and Steph and Klay got injured.

I also didn't like the way the team seemed unprepared to field a competent bench player in the finals. The regular season should have been used to develop them better yet at the moment of need they all seemed too inexperienced.
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#15 » by Phase 3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:34 am

He’s a great coach for a veteran team. Good at managing ego’s and working with basketball Ops and ownership.

There are better strategists than him out there but NBA coaching is more “culture building” than it is actual coaching.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#16 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:24 am

whocurrz wrote:I think he is really good at developing great habits like moving the ball and moving without like Pop spends the first week of practice doing every year. I think the roster taking the league by storm with a lineup that had a combo great perimeter defenders who could pass and really take advantage of the spacing from Klay and Curry was intended but with the Lee injury and success early I think he found a weapon that no team could match and took it to a new level that may have been a bit less prominent than it should have been.

I think he coaches skills that are necessary to winning ball and the exact things Phil and Pop would build around and how they had success year in and year out constantly getting lots of success from role players. I think the young guys all developed better habits and got better.

My only major gripe was 2016 Finals Game 7 I thought he choked with the lineup. Barnes was clearly out of sorts and didn’t have the mental fortitude to get out of his head. Livingston barely played and I think Barbosa was the type of wild card worth playing who can open a game up with his speed and be a good gunner. Varejao played way too much but his attitude was at least like Barbosa where he always came in ready off the bench and he did get some decent hustle rebounds. But Livingston barely playing with Barnes slump and Iguodala’s back was mind-boggling.

All in all I actually wouldn’t take any other coach over him. Great with culture, developing habits for both old and young guys, good at managing different personalities and getting guys to buy in, coaches a style that attracts players and makes us desirable, his experience as a player where he hit big shots and played for the greatest team of all time as well as two of the best coaches gives him credibility. Plus as a person I think his background with adversity and willingness to speak on issues that are meaningful to players gives him a level of human connection that can be very meaningful to players.

Rush and Speights should have gotten more run in games 6 and 7. Barnes was clearly broken and getting the Tony Allen treatment.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by whocurrz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:46 am

Phase 3 wrote:He’s a great coach for a veteran team. Good at managing ego’s and working with basketball Ops and ownership.

There are better strategists than him out there but NBA coaching is more “culture building” than it is actual coaching.

Yeah no matter how innovative the plays you need a team of guys who guy into team ball, the extra pass, passing up a good shot for a great shot and using defense for easy offense. Still need a star who buys into this but this is most important, especially when in playoffs and plays are scouted so habits can consistently create the best shots
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#18 » by Little Digger » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:01 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by whocurrz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
whocurrz wrote:I think he is really good at developing great habits like moving the ball and moving without like Pop spends the first week of practice doing every year. I think the roster taking the league by storm with a lineup that had a combo great perimeter defenders who could pass and really take advantage of the spacing from Klay and Curry was intended but with the Lee injury and success early I think he found a weapon that no team could match and took it to a new level that may have been a bit less prominent than it should have been.

Rush and Speights should have gotten more run in games 6 and 7. Barnes was clearly broken and getting the Tony Allen treatment.

Yeah anyone else with confidence. Barnes was playing scared and second guessing himself which due to his makeup was just not something you’d expect to get out of, especially multiple game long drought. Livingston and Barbosa were must plays considering Curry and Iguodala were hobbled and we were not getting good looks because we were just passing side to side, using high picks and getting no penetration so either would have helped. Livingston playing so few minutes was inexcusable based on his trustworthiness to make smart plays, rebound, pass and initiate for out shooters. And a guy like Barbosa you always at least test if he can be a spark plug and get hot.hes not a chucker but always plays at a speed to shake things up and our ability to attack an unsettled defense and pass to an open good shot was a strength that he could have helped with even if he was cold. Speights is a guy like that too who will be aggressive no matter what so you gotta at least put him in for a heat check.
SpreeChokeJob
Veteran
And1: 1,399

Post#20 » by SpreeChokeJob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:05 am

I think he is a coach that has a system that he wants to implement. But I think he needs an opposing voice that sees things differently. He’s only as good as the players assembled which he voices to the GM. Right now the team is missing someone that can see out of the system and provide players that surpasses what Kerr can come up with.

Return to Golden State Warriors