ImageImageImageImageImage

"The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:19 pm

I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ"s / Restart Draft Thread with all thoughts WELCOME. 

Post#22 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm

It's an interesting article to be sure. & it's always a good idea to think carefully about anything CCJ posts!

I mentioned, yesterday I think, that I cannot remember ever seeing mock drafts with as much variation all over the map as I've been seeing this Summer.

Maybe one reason is just how interminably long a run-up to the draft we're having this year. Among other things, media sources feel they have to provide more stuff? Or they're bored? Who knows....

As to Jalen Smith & Okongwu, it's a little bit apples and oranges. Both guys put up monster numbers this year. But, Okongwu is a Freshman, while Smith is a Sophomore.

Smith did not put up monster numbers as a Freshman. He improved a whole lot this year. If Okongwu had decided to stay for his 2d year, who knows...? Maybe he'd have put up even more amazing numbers?

Had the draft taken place in normal order 2 plus months ago, Jalen Smith would have likely gone in the mid-late-20s, where he seemed like an incredible bargain to me. He was one of my trade-down targets.

Keep in mind that for every guy who goes up, another guy goes down. & there is no draft in which teams have accurately -- or near accurately! -- sequenced picks in a way that matches very well with players' results in the league.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#23 » by pcbothwel » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not buying it. Jalen Smith will be a solid NBA player, not the prospect OO is. I've heard PJ Brown, but I see him more as a Gorgui Dieng type if his shot translates. Thats a solid NBA player, but not a top 10 pick.
I dont think his frame and stiffs hips translate well to either the 4 or 5 defensively. He is a good athlete, but not "Bouncy"/ quick off his feet.
He's a good shooter, but he is really clumsy and awkward while not seeing the court particularly well.
He'll rebound, compete, and hit some 3's. But He's more appealing at 19 than 9.

I really think the early/mid 2nd is going to have a couple of interesting bigs in Tillman, Carey, Tillie, Reed, or Oturu fall.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:18 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I should have been listening closer to CCJ when he was pushing Jalen Smith. BleacherReport is saying some scouts have him ahead of Okongwu. https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2905180-2020-nba-draft-lottery-buzz-the-mystery-begins-right-at-the-top.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Not buying it. Jalen Smith will be a solid NBA player, not the prospect OO is. I've heard PJ Brown, but I see him more as a Gorgui Dieng type if his shot translates. Thats a solid NBA player, but not a top 10 pick.
I dont think his frame and stiffs hips translate well to either the 4 or 5 defensively. He is a good athlete, but not "Bouncy"/ quick off his feet.
He's a good shooter, but he is really clumsy and awkward while not seeing the court particularly well.

I really think the early/mid 2nd is going to have a couple of interesting bigs in Tillman, Carey, Tillie, Reed, or Oturu fall.

I don't have him up there with the Big O either, but he's nothing like Dieng, and I don't get the clumsly and awkward descriptions at all, tbh. Agreed that he's more 19 than 9.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#25 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:46 am

Ruzious wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

I don't have him up there with the Big O either, but he's nothing like Dieng, and I don't get the clumsly and awkward descriptions at all, tbh. Agreed that he's more 19 than 9.

Pascal Siakim

He's got way more offense than PJ Brown or Dieng. When Smith is hitting threes and averaging 18-20 ppg within his first 2-3 seasons, on his way to being an all star, perhaps, we'll talk again.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:07 am

Moments ago 35-year-old Paul Millsap helped the Denver Nuggets defeat the LA clippers in a playoff game in the year 2020. I remember posting about Paul Millsap a year and a half before his draft. Wizards could’ve had that guy
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: "The CCJ Shrine to the Thoughts of CCJ". ? 

Post#27 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:11 am

doclinkin wrote:Ha! The topic is Paul Millsapp: Go!
And the topic still is! :nod:
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:05 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

He's half man; half Millsapian.

He's actually half PF; half SF. He probably should be a PF, but he plays with PF's, so he's adapted. This Denver team has really given the more talented Clippers a battle.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#29 » by pcbothwel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

He's half man; half Millsapian.

He's actually half PF; half SF. He probably should be a PF, but he plays with PF's, so he's adapted. This Denver team has really given the more talented Clippers a battle.

I think he could be a real wild card in FA for a team like Houston.

Return to Washington Wizards