ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2020/21 Edition

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#1021 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 pm

The Effect wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Just goes to show you how irrational fans are and how irrelevant their opinoins should be when decisions are made.
Biyombo is one of least talented Magic players in history. His contract strangled Magic for years, after Mozgov trade, as direct result of Biyombo's contract, we still have 2 more years to pay his streach provision. :banghead:
Disaster. Whooping disaster.

Nah, just goes to show that the Magic failed to build a cohesive working roster. Biyombo was a critical piece coming from a legitimate contender. I only liked the move as a precedence for future moves. Not some final piece.

You can't just throw cement against the wall and hope it sticks. If Biyombo was truly truly brought here to come off the bench behind Vuc or play alongside Vuc at the 4 then the Magic really were dumb as rocks.

That probably wasnt the intent. He was likely brought in to be the starter....then henny and vogal realized just how **** of a player he was and that it would be impossible to start him and be successful and stuck with vuc. Same mistake they made with ibaka
Brought him in to be the star defender, realized early on that was a mistake and went back to AG. I just wish they hadnt given up so much for him and then gotten so little in return

There's a lot more to the Ibaka situation than we will ever know. His cousin absolutely laid into the magic locker room and players by name the week leading up to when Ibaka got traded. A lot of it had to do with the current Magic players not wanting to put in the work daily to get better. If I remember Ibaka put it professionally and said something along the lines of they didn't want to listen to a guy whose been there done it before, so why should I want to stay in a situation like that.

Vogel also refused to even try Ibaka Vuc combo and went with Biyombo Vuc and we all know how that turned out. EP was the PG still and Jeff Green didn't see a shot he didn't like.

It was a mess but Ibaka actually held his own with that **** of a roster and ultimately was smart and said he wanted out.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1022 » by Skin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:45 pm

The Effect wrote:
Skin wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Just goes to show you how irrational fans are and how irrelevant their opinoins should be when decisions are made.
Biyombo is one of least talented Magic players in history. His contract strangled Magic for years, after Mozgov trade, as direct result of Biyombo's contract, we still have 2 more years to pay his streach provision. :banghead:
Disaster. Whooping disaster.

Nah, just goes to show that the Magic failed to build a cohesive working roster. Biyombo was a critical piece coming from a legitimate contender. I only liked the move as a precedence for future moves. Not some final piece.

You can't just throw cement against the wall and hope it sticks. If Biyombo was truly truly brought here to come off the bench behind Vuc or play alongside Vuc at the 4 then the Magic really were dumb as rocks.

That probably wasnt the intent. He was likely brought in to be the starter....then henny and vogal realized just how **** of a player he was and that it would be impossible to start him and be successful and stuck with vuc. Same mistake they made with ibaka
Brought him in to be the star defender, realized early on that was a mistake and went back to AG. I just wish they hadnt given up so much for him and then gotten so little in return

More like they realized how **** of an entire roster they had.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1023 » by Skin » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:52 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
The Effect wrote:
Skin wrote:Nah, just goes to show that the Magic failed to build a cohesive working roster. Biyombo was a critical piece coming from a legitimate contender. I only liked the move as a precedence for future moves. Not some final piece.

There's a lot more to the Ibaka situation than we will ever know. His cousin absolutely laid into the magic locker room and players by name the week leading up to when Ibaka got traded. A lot of it had to do with the current Magic players not wanting to put in the work daily to get better. If I remember Ibaka put it professionally and said something along the lines of they didn't want to listen to a guy whose been there done it before, so why should I want to stay in a situation like that.

Vogel also refused to even try Ibaka Vuc combo and went with Biyombo Vuc and we all know how that turned out. EP was the PG still and Jeff Green didn't see a shot he didn't like.

It was a mess but Ibaka actually held his own with that **** of a roster and ultimately was smart and said he wanted out.

Yeah when you hear stuff like that you think... who were the current leaders on the team... who were the guys that he was referring to.

I know who... lol
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#1024 » by J the Drafter » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:55 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
The Effect wrote:
Skin wrote:Nah, just goes to show that the Magic failed to build a cohesive working roster. Biyombo was a critical piece coming from a legitimate contender. I only liked the move as a precedence for future moves. Not some final piece.

Can you provide a quote for that? The closest thing I remember is Channing Frye complaining about Vaughn not knowing how to run an NBA practice.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,088

Post#1025 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm

J the Drafter wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
The Effect wrote:

Can you provide a quote for that? The closest thing I remember is Channing Frye complaining about Vaughn not knowing how to run an NBA practice.

Let me do some digging.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#1026 » by jezzerinho » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:36 pm

And you had Dipo saying Orlando was a bunch of young players who were playing for themselves and not the team, not driving standards forward.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#1027 » by Hogified05 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 pm

Ducklett wrote:
Hogified05 wrote:
Knightro wrote:There are a lot of rumblings out there that Oklahoma City is going to blow it up and rebuild.

Can't imagine Donovan was super thrilled about the prospect of having to navigate that. Seems like the split was amicable.

I predict he ends up back in college after a year. I think he got his thirst quenched for the NBA those 5 years. Didn't have a horrible run at all. I think his heart was always in college more than the NBA. I think I know the spot too. IU. Indiana is starved to get back to relevance. He puts them there immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if they canned their coach this year and went after him.

I would hope that UF would go get him before letting him go to another school. That would be a stupid, stupid move to keep Coach White over the Gator GOAT.

Billy wouldn't do that to White. I like White for the most part, I appreciate his demeanor, it's much like Billy D's. White only missed the tournament once in 5 years (think they were making it this year) and it was his first year. Everytime he has been to the tournament the Gators have at least won one game. Has an elite 8 under his belt (should have been a final 4). He is starting to recruit some serious talent now. I think this year's team is going be really good. Bily ws in the national title game in his 5th year but Billy was a legend. I think if White is given the chance within the next 4 years we going to the final 4 again.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#1028 » by basketballRob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:18 am

I remember wanting to draft Smart and making a thread Smart the beast. Everyone wanted Exum and then we drafted AG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,167

Post#1029 » by cedric76 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:05 am

:evil:
jezzerinho wrote:And you had Dipo saying Orlando was a bunch of young players who were playing for themselves and not the team, not driving standards forward.

Henny s biggest mistake was to NOT keep jsmeer.

He d have been a perfect mentor to dipo, ep and Co
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1030 » by Skybox » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:33 pm

basketballRob wrote:I remember wanting to draft Smart and making a thread Smart the beast. Everyone wanted Exum and then we drafted AG.

Me too but, in hindsight, I didn’t project Smart to be a defensive bruiser/role player. Have to wonder if his ORL fate would be similar to AG...miscast as a foundation piece, would be twice as good on a strong team as a glue guy/defensive nightmare/opportunistic offensive player. I think if AG lands on a contender like BRK or GSW, he’ll be spectacular (like Smart).
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,079

Post#1031 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:51 pm

basketballRob wrote:I remember wanting to draft Smart and making a thread Smart the beast. Everyone wanted Exum and then we drafted AG.

i dont remember everyone wanting Exum.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1032 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:53 pm

Skybox wrote:

Me too but, in hindsight, I didn’t project Smart to be a defensive bruiser/role player. Have to wonder if his ORL fate would be similar to AG...miscast as a foundation piece, would be twice as good on a strong team as a glue guy/defensive nightmare/opportunistic offensive player. I think if AG lands on a contender like BRK or GSW, he’ll be spectacular (like Smart).

to be fair, AG it seems pushing more of a role on offense. reminds me of Dwight becoming all-star and then having his agent push him to have more of an offensive role.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1033 » by Skybox » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:

I do...I also do NOT remember anyone calling for AG at our pick. I was in a bar in NY when they announced and was like "Huh"? Turned out to be a good choice, just not the greatest draft ever-as predicted. Perhaps, similar to this year's crapshoot with lots of likely solid role players and a good chance of a stiff at the top.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1034 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:29 pm

Skybox wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I do...I also do NOT remember anyone calling for AG at our pick. I was in a bar in NY when they announced and was like "Huh"? Turned out to be a good choice, just not the greatest draft ever-as predicted. Perhaps, similar to this year's crapshoot with lots of likely solid role players and a good chance of a stiff at the top.

i do remember a few people calling for AG. saw the athleticism and thought he would develop more than he has. and yeah, that draft was a crapfest
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1035 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i dont remember everyone wanting Exum.

i do remember a few people calling for AG. saw the athleticism and thought he would develop more than he has. and yeah, that draft was a crapfest

I went back to check, i could have sworn i saw some people mention AG but not finding it. I did find some gems (sorry in advance)

Skin wrote:I voted Exum. I'm confident that he will be a Superstar and I'm not even a little bit doubtful of that. He could easily be the best player to come out of this draft. Add in the fact that his position fits a bigger need for us than Parker (unless you project Parker at PF - which if you do - you can't love his defensive fit next to Vuc). I want progress and the best answer for that is Exum. One step closer to completing the puzzle. Parker puts us in a "what to do with Harris/Harkless" situation. I already love those 2 players and am happy where our future lies with them here.

Nemesis wrote:Sign me up for Vonleh and Payton!

Hotshot Hower wrote:I'm all for Exum (or Parker and to a lesser degree, Smart) @ #4.

BUT we MUST package the #12 and an asset to move down to #8 if Vonleh is still there.

An absolute MUST.

and I will of course include myself
Tiderulz wrote:I fully endorse taking Payton at 12 no matter who we choose at 4 :D

a hornets fan mentioned a Kemba for HArris +12 and got these responses, mostly no (wonder if we would change our mind now)
Orlando wrote:Not a fan of kemba... average in assists, below average 3pt shooter, below average mid-range shooter, below average within 5 ft, needs the ball way too much for the production he offers (easily led league in touches). That's enough for me to say no.

Nemesis21 wrote:Hell no

JRagg wrote:Kemba is ok. Probably will never be an All Star, but he's steady.

Point guard is the deepest (by far) position in the league. Even more point guard prospects coming out this year.

SD2042 wrote:Not happening. Not worth Walker.

DarthMerrick came really really close to Exum's future and a few others
darthmerrick wrote:4.Dante Exum- He was the most hyped overseas prospect. Exum proved to be less able to adapt to the NBA game then his other 2014 counterparts. After three dreadful years, he was out of the NBA and playing ball back in Australia. Comparison: Reese Gaines
5.Noah Vonleh- Having the elite intangibles that every GM loves, Noah Vonleh proved to be a tweener Forward like the Anthony Bennett, Thomas Robinson's of previous drafts. His defense was sub-par and many were suprised Dwayne Dedmon turned into the better NBA player. He was traded several times for potential but never lived up to it. Comparison: Anthony Randolph
6. Marcus Smart- A fierce leader and competitor. Smart never learned to shoot. He had suprising turn over issues early in his career but worked through it and became a solid point guard in the league, even making a few all star games. Comparison: Jason Kidd

and here was a poll with 4 days to go. Exum led, with Embiid and Smart right behind.
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1328964

and here is late discussion of Gordon
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1329141

and then, 3 days before the draft, Nemesis called it
Nemesis21 wrote:I hope we draft him and Payton.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1036 » by basketballRob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:30 pm

tiderulz wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I went back to check, i could have sworn i saw some people mention AG but not finding it. I did find some gems (sorry in advance)

Skin wrote:I voted Exum. I'm confident that he will be a Superstar and I'm not even a little bit doubtful of that. He could easily be the best player to come out of this draft. Add in the fact that his position fits a bigger need for us than Parker (unless you project Parker at PF - which if you do - you can't love his defensive fit next to Vuc). I want progress and the best answer for that is Exum. One step closer to completing the puzzle. Parker puts us in a "what to do with Harris/Harkless" situation. I already love those 2 players and am happy where our future lies with them here.

Hotshot Hower wrote:I'm all for Exum (or Parker and to a lesser degree, Smart) @ #4.

BUT we MUST package the #12 and an asset to move down to #8 if Vonleh is still there.

An absolute MUST.

Tiderulz wrote:I fully endorse taking Payton at 12 no matter who we choose at 4 :D

a hornets fan mentioned a Kemba for HArris +12 and got these responses, mostly no (wonder if we would change our mind now)
Orlando wrote:Not a fan of kemba... average in assists, below average 3pt shooter, below average mid-range shooter, below average within 5 ft, needs the ball way too much for the production he offers (easily led league in touches). That's enough for me to say no.

Point guard is the deepest (by far) position in the league. Even more point guard prospects coming out this year.

darthmerrick wrote:4.Dante Exum- He was the most hyped overseas prospect. Exum proved to be less able to adapt to the NBA game then his other 2014 counterparts. After three dreadful years, he was out of the NBA and playing ball back in Australia. Comparison: Reese Gaines
5.Noah Vonleh- Having the elite intangibles that every GM loves, Noah Vonleh proved to be a tweener Forward like the Anthony Bennett, Thomas Robinson's of previous drafts. His defense was sub-par and many were suprised Dwayne Dedmon turned into the better NBA player. He was traded several times for potential but never lived up to it. Comparison: Anthony Randolph
6. Marcus Smart- A fierce leader and competitor. Smart never learned to shoot. He had suprising turn over issues early in his career but worked through it and became a solid point guard in the league, even making a few all star games. Comparison: Jason Kidd

and here was a poll with 4 days to go. Exum led, with Embiid and Smart right behind.

Nice to look back. It looked like most wanted us to take Exum, he had 28 votes, compared to 4 for AG, and 17 for Smart.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1037 » by basketballRob » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Skybox wrote:

An absolute MUST.

Also it wasn't me that started the Marcus Smart thread it was MellowRose. I just looked back and checked, it was a long time ago.

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#1038 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:53 am

deadly sin: thinking Noah Vonleh was new Aldrige based on 15 mid range jumpers he made at college

that's how hype turns fans and scouts irrational.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1039 » by Xatticus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:deadly sin: thinking Noah Vonleh was new Aldrige based on 15 mid range jumpers he made at college

It's that. It's also the one-and-done mystique. The limited sample allows you to interpret the data however you see fit. I mean, if the 3P% and the FTr were legitimate indicators, that's an impressive prospect. The rebound rate was good and the block rate was solid. I didn't care for him because the tape didn't impress, but I don't think it was really that bad of a pick. Some guys just come out before you have enough data on them to make an educated decision. If you don't like your other options, you can be inclined to roll the dice on a guy like that.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,124

Post#1040 » by pepe1991 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Xatticus wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:deadly sin: thinking Noah Vonleh was new Aldrige based on 15 mid range jumpers he made at college

It's that. It's also the one-and-done mystique. The limited sample allows you to interpret the data however you see fit. I mean, if the 3P% and the FTr were legitimate indicators, that's an impressive prospect. The rebound rate was good and the block rate was solid. I didn't care for him because the tape didn't impress, but I don't think it was really that bad of a pick. Some guys just come out before you have enough data on them to make an educated decision. If you don't like your other options, you can be inclined to roll the dice on a guy like that.

Bonus mystique: 18 during college year, turned 19 month before rookie season started.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic