ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#1761 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:56 pm

We are going to be forced to play Ant extended minutes at the expense of the team, playing through all his mistakes and Jordan Poole/early Cam Reddish-esque inefficiencies to justify taking him ahead of Wiseman. It's going to be really really painful warriors fans. We have to brace for it. At least he will have some nice dunks. Jordan Bell gave us those from time to time
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#1762 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm

ShayDee wrote:We are going to be forced to play Ant extended minutes at the expense of the team, playing through all his mistakes and Jordan Poole/early Cam Reddish-esque inefficiencies to justify taking him ahead of Wiseman. It's going to be really really painful warriors fans. We have to brace for it. At least he will have some nice dunks. Jordan Bell gave us those from time to time

If they take and keep Ant they will have him move in with Adams, and if he can't play the way the team wants he will get limited minutes.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1763 » by ShayDee » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
ShayDee wrote:We are going to be forced to play Ant extended minutes at the expense of the team, playing through all his mistakes and Jordan Poole/early Cam Reddish-esque inefficiencies to justify taking him ahead of Wiseman. It's going to be really really painful warriors fans. We have to brace for it. At least he will have some nice dunks. Jordan Bell gave us those from time to time

If they take and keep Ant they will have him move in with Adams, and if he can't play the way the team wants he will get limited minutes.

And Bob needs to be fired right after, after seeing all the red flags and going with those guts anyways
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,689

Post#1764 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 pm

The thing I think Edwards has going for him is that he reclassified and should be in the 2021 class, meaning he should have a little more cushion for growth.

But also I think what Edwards has going against him is that he was primarily focused on Football prior to recently picking up Basketball more. That might sound like a weird take but I think that contributes to being a great athlete while lacking some of the Bball IQ and subtle nuances of the game. Edwards has some of the same strengths and weaknesses that Westbrook has where he was a super athlete who learned to play basketball not the other way around. When I watch Houston I can tell just thinking on the court and doing it in a fluid way that’s effortless is hard for Westbrook. Like unless Westbrook attacks the hoop full speed from the top the game becomes really confusing for him. He can’t really shoot, his rotations and understanding of spacing, pacing, and execution is just all off.

But the Houston series has always helped me realize the reason Steph is a better player than Harden and has always had his number is his off ball ability. Harden is an amazing player undoubtedly but when he gets trapped he basically gives up on the possession. Curry gets trapped but after he gets trapped and gives the ball up he runs to the open spot. Doubling a guy running off ball is ridiculous and that’s what makes our team with two elite off ball movement guys so tough.

I also notice Harden trying to get guys to move to that middle portion of the floor to operate as the playmaker once he gets trapped. The Rockets look good when Tucker or Green moves to the middle of the floor, but neither guy has the consistency and understanding of utilizing that spot the way Green does. The Rockets not practicing that free throw line area position is really killing them, they should be able to generate open looks off that position the way we always had.

Now you might say what about the other prospects? Ball can’t play off ball either, he won’t have great value. I actually trust Edwards more to develop off ball. I don’t think Toppin can really play off ball but he can definitely stand still and shoot it if the ball comes to him. Deni is the guy who definitely has a much stronger grasp of winning team basketball, he could do it all offensively. Then you might say well Wisemam isn’t great off ball, at center you don’t really have to be since he would be in the dunker position. Wiseman no doubt can dunk the ball, he’s got that JaVale ability day 1. So to make Wiseman work he really just needs to be able to hit a free throw line jumper occasionally like West or Speights has, I think he shows that promise for his position.

I have a little more faith in Wiseman hitting an occasional jumper than Edwards understanding the nuances of what to do without the ball.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1765 » by Mav_Carter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:04 pm

I like the Russ comp...Edwards is a bigger, stronger Russ...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1766 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:27 pm

ShayDee wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

And Bob needs to be fired right after, after seeing all the red flags and going with those guts anyways

He'll get time to develop, they won't make a snap judgement, and the pick will be a consensus pick, not just Bob's pick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1767 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Myers said they are expecting in person time with the prospects with the draft pushed back. I have no faith in any of the top 3 names.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#1768 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:43 pm

Mav_Carter wrote:I like the Russ comp...Edwards is a bigger, stronger Russ...

The other comp is Dion Waiters, who was the #5 pick, though I don't think Waiters is the explosive athlete that Edwards or WB is.

If he had a career like WB, it would mean a lot of All-Star games and possibly contending for an MVP, lot of highlights, gaudy but mostly empty stats.

Westbrook early in his career thrived because he played with great players, loaded roster. But the coaching he got, no limits on shot selection and not diversifying his game at all.

It will really come down to interviews. If they think the kid is coachable, willing to play roles like wing defender, learning to move without the ball, playing the role of instant offense off the bench, how mentally tough he could be.

If he thinks he's god's gift to the NBA and is going to chuck, then obviously no.

You look at the trajectories of the best players today, they were the main guys in college but they came into situations with good players already on the team and they just looked to fit in for the first few years, like Kawhi joining the great Spurs core.

Of course the other way is someone like Lebron, handed the keys to the store from his very first game. Lillard is also in this vein too.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#1769 » by Mav_Carter » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Waiters is an average athlete...Edwards is an elite athlete...he's as explosive as VC but stronger...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1770 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:37 pm

wco81 wrote:

The other comp is Dion Waiters, who was the #5 pick, though I don't think Waiters is the explosive athlete that Edwards or WB is.

If he had a career like WB, it would mean a lot of All-Star games and possibly contending for an MVP, lot of highlights, gaudy but mostly empty stats.

Westbrook early in his career thrived because he played with great players, loaded roster. But the coaching he got, no limits on shot selection and not diversifying his game at all.

It will really come down to interviews. If they think the kid is coachable, willing to play roles like wing defender, learning to move without the ball, playing the role of instant offense off the bench, how mentally tough he could be.

If he thinks he's god's gift to the NBA and is going to chuck, then obviously no.

You look at the trajectories of the best players today, they were the main guys in college but they came into situations with good players already on the team and they just looked to fit in for the first few years, like Kawhi joining the great Spurs core.

Of course the other way is someone like Lebron, handed the keys to the store from his very first game. Lillard is also in this vein too.

Coaches TRIED to get through to Westbrook, he didn't learn. Those interviews are absolutely key ... but then again, which prospect is going to say they are going to not learn over a decade in the league?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#1771 » by azwfan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:55 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Coaches TRIED to get through to Westbrook, he didn't learn. Those interviews are absolutely key ... but then again, which prospect is going to say they are going to not learn over a decade in the league?

If you're getting Westbrook out of this draft you absolutely take him. Then trade him after he wins MVP.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1772 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:31 pm

azwfan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

If you're getting Westbrook out of this draft you absolutely take him. Then trade him after he wins MVP.

The problem is Edwards COULD be better but he could also be much much worse.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#1773 » by xdrta+ » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:43 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

The problem is Edwards COULD be better but he could also be much much worse.

That pretty much sums up this entire draft. Come back in 3 years and I'll tell you who they should have drafted.
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#1774 » by sogood » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Mav_Carter wrote:Edwards is the best SG prospect since MJ...

Mav_Carter wrote:Waiters is an average athlete...Edwards is an elite athlete...he's as explosive as VC but stronger...

Nice try Anthony.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,190

Post#1775 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Scott Brooks was going to tell WB how to play or work on improving his game?

When he and the team had early success, I think it became much tougher to get Westbrook to develop his skills.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#1776 » by shrink » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:07 pm

Hey guys, I’m in a debate with a friend, and I just wanted to verify something.

I think that despite the lux taxes, the Warriors brass will definitely use the Iguodala TPE, right?

It seems obvious to me for a championship contender who gave up assets to get that TPE, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys, who know better than me.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,233

Post#1777 » by xdrta+ » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 pm

shrink wrote:Hey guys, I’m in a debate with a friend, and I just wanted to verify something.

I think that despite the lux taxes, the Warriors brass will definitely use the Iguodala TPE, right?

It seems obvious to me for a championship contender who gave up assets to get that TPE, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys, who know better than me.

I'd say it depends who is available.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,383

Post#1778 » by shrink » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:54 am

xdrta+ wrote:
shrink wrote:Hey guys, I’m in a debate with a friend, and I just wanted to verify something.

I may owe him an apology. I assumed you would use it, or at least part of it, on the best player you could get.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,689

Post#1779 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:14 am

shrink wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

I may owe him an apology. I assumed you would use it, or at least part of it, on the best player you could get.

I think they will use it regardless, they put in the work to get it and they did so with a solid purpose. Imo this team isn’t a Championship team without it, how it’s utilized I believe will dictate a lot for us because it’s a large rotation player salary exception.

The front office will survey the landscape and try to get the best player available but if time starts ticking down they will grab a placeholder contract. Maybe a guy that’s decent that they can trade later on in the year.

I think the plan is to get someone regardless for contract purposes and then around the deadline include a player and a draft pick to bridge a larger salary than the 17.2. Depending on need that could be Aaron Gordon for more forward depth, Aldridge to come in and play center, or maybe a guard like Schroeder if OKC is out of the playoff picture.

The Cavs got Drummond with 2nd round picks, our late 1st rounder I believe can get us someone pretty talented. I think Looney is someone we will monitor closely, if his health is not good I think his 5 million per year deal will get included in a deadline package.

I envision our team hovering around the top of the Western Conference and Bob pulling a deadline deal to push us over the top, competitively I think that’s the route to go.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1780 » by Mylie10 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:14 am

shrink wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

We will use it. We have to use it. We need depth on the roster. We may not use every penny of it, but it’s gonna he used.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors