ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#281 » by Floody100 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:32 am

Smart & Tatum will get all the love but JB was great tonight especially on the defensive end.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Post#282 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:09 am

People can't stop talking about Tatum's growth but what we've seen from Jaylen in this series has been encouraging. Some of the reads he made on the fly aren't really typical of him. Can't say enough how much I love players cutting and making themselves available for the pass. SVG also commented on it during the game -- about Jaylen cutting baseline instead of just standing in the corner waiting for the pass.

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#283 » by Matt5 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 am

Heard the call from the commentators that Jaylen just slipped on that dunk. I could be wrong, but I thought that Siakam pushed him in the back and extended his arm to do it. Then walked away like nothing happened.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#284 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:39 am

Automattic wrote:Heard the call from the commentators that Jaylen just slipped on that dunk. I could be wrong, but I thought that Siakam pushed him in the back and extended his arm to do it. Then walked away like nothing happened.

It was both. Siakam had his hand on Jaylen's back and pushed him ever so slightly but it was enough to force that awkward landing. He also landed on a slippery spot.
Matt5
Junior

Post#285 » by Matt5 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 am

Agreed, it did seem slippery. As you said though, the dangerous situation may not have happened were it not for the weak ass shove.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#286 » by Big Joke Line » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:21 pm

I’d be more willing to give Siakim the benefit of the doubt if it hadn’t happened all series long with the gentle but well placed and well timed nudges in the small of the back when a guy was already off balance and even a walk under of the legs or two.
Hey Man, nice shot!
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#287 » by keevsnick1 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:16 pm

His defense this series was great I just want to bring up two plays. The first was that play where smart outraced the raptors to the lose ball and got a layup. That happened because Brown fought through a screen and stayed on the ball handlers (FVV?) hip, the ball handler came off the screen fast but because Brown was there suddenly had no where to go with it. Even tho Brown didn't actually contact the ball it forced a bad pass due to his positioning.

The second was the last real possession where FVV tried shooting the ball over Williams. Williams getting alot of credit there, and rightfully so, but Brown made it happen. How? He cut off FVV twice trying to go baseline, which is the inital design of the play. That ruined the play and took enough time off the clock that FVV has to pull it out and try for the three without enough time to set anything else up.

Two plays where people will see Smart/GWill and think "great defense" but where just as much about Brown icing the ball handler. There arent a whole lot of guys who will battle with Siakam down low AND stay in front of 6'0 quick guards like FVV.
Matt5
Junior

Post#288 » by Matt5 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:36 pm

This was on top of making Siakam look like a JAG.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#289 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:17 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:People can't stop talking about Tatum's growth but what we've seen from Jaylen in this series has been encouraging. Some of the reads he made on the fly aren't really typical of him. Can't say enough how much I love players cutting and making themselves available for the pass. SVG also commented on it during the game -- about Jaylen cutting baseline instead of just standing in the corner waiting for the pass.

Agreed. Something I'd like to see him do perhaps even more off ball.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#290 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am

Interesting factoid...

Most playoff games played since Jaylen came into the league:
• 61 - Iguodala
• 60 - Draymond
• 59 - Klay
• 57 - Livingston
• 55 - Danny Green, Ibaka, BROWN

If the series vs. the Heat goes 7 games or if the Celtics advance to the Finals, Brown could potentially overtake everyone on this list except maybe Iggy and Danny Green.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#291 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 am

Hopefully he can just be better than Lonzo Ball, Jonathan Isaac, and MPJ. Those guys are all at the same level or better than him right now.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#292 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:19 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:11-30. 4-13 from three. three very costly turnovers. Just 2 assists in a double overtime game. How is that for comedic value?

No comments after his game 7, where he was the only starter over 50% FG and also had 4 steals. His defense on Siakam still not good?

I respect the effort honestly lol. Only show up after Celtics losses and if guys you don’t like play poorly.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#293 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:28 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:11-30. 4-13 from three. three very costly turnovers. Just 2 assists in a double overtime game. How is that for comedic value?

No comments after his game 7, where he was the only starter over 50% FG and also had 4 steals. His defense on Siakam still not good?

I respect the effort honestly lol. Only show up after Celtics losses and if guys you don’t like play poorly.

This is EXACTLY the kinda **** I'm talking about on the other thread. Caring more about being right when we lose than giving appropriate credit and being happy when we win (because, you're a fan you say)
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#294 » by Slax » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:53 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Interesting factoid...

Most playoff games played since Jaylen came into the league:
• 61 - Iguodala
• 60 - Draymond
• 59 - Klay
• 57 - Livingston
• 55 - Danny Green, Ibaka, BROWN

If the series vs. the Heat goes 7 games or if the Celtics advance to the Finals, Brown could potentially overtake everyone on this list except maybe Iggy and Danny Green.

I sometimes forget that the ECF run with IT was so recent. Feels like it was a different era, even though it was after Brown was drafted. I guess because the only continuity between this team and that one is Brown, Smart, and Stevens. Crazy how quickly the entire roster was completely restructured.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,963

Post#295 » by jfs1000d » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:48 pm

All star. Top 20 nba player. Tatum is a top 10 caliber talent.

We are really good .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#296 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 pm

IF JB continues to improve his 3 point shooting... and learns to take care of the ball a bit better, he will be the 3rd best 2 way player/wing at least in the NBA over the next decade.. Giannis-Tatum-Brown
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#297 » by dlamb8888888 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 pm

I think Brown is a really difficult player to project when looking at the trajectory of his career. Tbh, I was not a big fan of the extension at the time. I was proven wrong. I did not anticipate him making such a huge leap in a number of facets of his game this year from last. His shooting, handle, and team defense have all improved considerably. He comes off as an intelligent, Hard-working, and humble guy. To say he could eventually be a top 10 player is the league seems overly optimistic, but I wouldn’t put it past him either. A lot depends on how hard he works in the off-season and how he makes adjustments. He needs to improve his playmaking, but he’s currently not being asked to facilitate. It will be jnteresting to see how his game evolves if Hayward doesnt come back. I guess, I’d say ceiling is top-10, but there is a large window of possible outcomes where he could land when it’s all said and done. I should also say, top-10 is pretty damn good. I don’t think Pierce was ever top-10. Maybe for a couple seasons he was in the discussion.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#298 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:11 pm

playa-hater wrote:IF JB continues to improve his 3 point shooting... and learns to take care of the ball a bit better, he will be the 3rd best 2 way player/wing at least in the NBA over the next decade.. Giannis-Tatum-Brown

Come on lol. Stuff like this is just like the bostoncouchGM stuff, just in the opposite direction.

He can be one of the better two way wings in the league, but one of the three best two way players in the entire league? That’s a serious reach.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#299 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 pm

The Comedian wrote:
playa-hater wrote:IF JB continues to improve his 3 point shooting... and learns to take care of the ball a bit better, he will be the 3rd best 2 way player/wing at least in the NBA over the next decade.. Giannis-Tatum-Brown

Come on lol. Stuff like this is just like the bostoncouchGM stuff, just in the opposite direction.

He can be one of the better two way wings in the league, but one of the three best two way players in the entire league? That’s a serious reach.

you're a mod. You're supposed to be above calling posters you disagree with, out like a child. Please stop
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#300 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

you're a mod. You're supposed to be above calling posters you disagree with, out like a child. Please stop

I wasn’t calling you out lol. Many posters call you out for trolling because you have such an extreme negative opinion of Jaylen, but over the top optimistic posts like the above are just as far fetched, if not moreso.

I get called out for not being high enough on Jaylen, myself. Though I definitely think more of him than you do.

Return to Boston Celtics