ImageImageImage

2019-2020 College BBall/2020 NBA Draft Vol 1

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Re: 2019-2020 College BBall/2020 NBA Draft Vol 1 

Post#921 » by Mik317 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:04 am

Bored as **** and wanted to put my bad takes out in the air.

Honestly ignored the draft this year because we didn't have a pick and the FO likes to sell them for candy but with the extra long off season I relented and started to deep dive. Here are my bad takes on this draft

The Lottery Guys (based off of others mocks)
Ball: If any of these guys could be a star, its him. I am just glad we aren't the ones betting on that. 6'7 with nice vision and the moxie to take shots logic be damned is a workable template at the very least but he is awful defensively and it may not just be youth. Has a lot of MCW in him....

Edwards: I don't see it. Feels like a guy who got by on being brolic in comparison to his peers. That template does not have a high success rate. Like the two guys he was compared to in Wade and Dipo stayed 4 years....idk feels more Stanley Johnson than anything. Maybe he hits Jaylen Brown status but that depends on where he goes.

Wisemen: Bigmen am dead. he is the Melo Ball of the bigmen class in that I see a path to success but I am glad we aren't the ones betting on it. His entire career is based on if he does not die in space on defense and if his shot comes around. Otherwise he;s Whiteside 2.0. And Whiteside has to spend time in Lebanon to get to where he's at.

Ogonkwu: Litterally the opposite of Wisemen lol. He will get Bam comps but he might be more Wendell Carter. Solid big not really lottery worthy in todays NBA but this draft is butt in terms of star potential soooo.

Avdija: I see we are already in the search for the next Luka era in which every euro guy is totes that lol. Euro dudes are tough to evaluate IMO. I feel like Okongwu again here. Solid but not special enough for be top 5 like he might end up.

Hayes: I don't see it. He seems slow. And considering DLo is his idol, I think he knows it too lol. Got to look more.

Haliburton: Don't know why but he reminds me of Andre Miller.

Toppin: Derrick Williams Redux. Might be better due to todays game but meeeeeh.

Vassell: I like him. Lowkey kinda pissed he rose up the boards it seems lol. He seems like what some think Thybulle is or can be but younger.

Okoro: Classic guy who looks awesome until you get to the weakness part of his tape lol.

Other dudes who are all over the place:
Maxey: I swear to go dude looked awesome every single time I watched...so when I went to his tape and stats I was very confused lol. Kentucky is good for a steal/sleeper every draft it seems tho (Quickley also always played well when I watched/ Hagans did not lol...sorry negrodamus)

Anthony: I hate Roy Williams lol. UNC was ass cheeks this year so its hard to truly evaluate him but his ft% was bad and he died everytime I watched so with our training staff naw son.

Poku: Mans weird. Weird seems to be the new hotness.

Guys often mocked to us:
Nico: Arizona was always on late and always had Bill Walton commentating so yeah....not about that life. I'd rather not have another midget guard to get targeted. Didn't even shoot that well.

Terry: Been trying to not get hyped. He seems to tick most of the boxes we need especially if he grew like has been stated.

Bane: Man has trex arms lol but his tape is very good. Probably not at 21 tho.

Lewis: eh. Kinda feel the same way about him as I do Nico. Has long arms tho so might not be too bad on defense down the line.

Hampton: This is the type of prospect I overhype every year lol. He has all the tools mayne...but his tape is terrible lol. We probably aren't the spot for him tho as I doubt the FO wants to wait even though thats what I'd do...but also doubt Embiid or Simmons wants to wait either.

Gotta do some more deep diving but I just want whoever we draft to not have the question mark of he can't do **** all on offense. Get me a guard who can dribble and at least attempt to take shots and I'm good....pls
#NeverGonnaBeGood
skulky
Junior
And1: 94

Post#922 » by skulky » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Mik317 wrote:Bored as **** and wanted to put my bad takes out in the air.

Honestly ignored the draft this year because we didn't have a pick and the FO likes to sell them for candy but with the extra long off season I relented and started to deep dive. Here are my bad takes on this draft

Ball: If any of these guys could be a star, its him. I am just glad we aren't the ones betting on that. 6'7 with nice vision and the moxie to take shots logic be damned is a workable template at the very least but he is awful defensively and it may not just be youth. Has a lot of MCW in him....

Edwards: I don't see it. Feels like a guy who got by on being brolic in comparison to his peers. That template does not have a high success rate. Like the two guys he was compared to in Wade and Dipo stayed 4 years....idk feels more Stanley Johnson than anything. Maybe he hits Jaylen Brown status but that depends on where he goes.

Wisemen: Bigmen am dead. he is the Melo Ball of the bigmen class in that I see a path to success but I am glad we aren't the ones betting on it. His entire career is based on if he does not die in space on defense and if his shot comes around. Otherwise he;s Whiteside 2.0. And Whiteside has to spend time in Lebanon to get to where he's at.

Ogonkwu: Litterally the opposite of Wisemen lol. He will get Bam comps but he might be more Wendell Carter. Solid big not really lottery worthy in todays NBA but this draft is butt in terms of star potential soooo.

Avdija: I see we are already in the search for the next Luka era in which every euro guy is totes that lol. Euro dudes are tough to evaluate IMO. I feel like Okongwu again here. Solid but not special enough for be top 5 like he might end up.

Hayes: I don't see it. He seems slow. And considering DLo is his idol, I think he knows it too lol. Got to look more.

Vassell: I like him. Lowkey kinda pissed he rose up the boards it seems lol. He seems like what some think Thybulle is or can be but younger.

Okoro: Classic guy who looks awesome until you get to the weakness part of his tape lol.

Maxey: I swear to go dude looked awesome every single time I watched...so when I went to his tape and stats I was very confused lol. Kentucky is good for a steal/sleeper every draft it seems tho (Quickley also always played well when I watched/ Hagans did not lol...sorry negrodamus)

Anthony: I hate Roy Williams lol. UNC was ass cheeks this year so its hard to truly evaluate him but his ft% was bad and he died everytime I watched so with our training staff naw son.

Guys often mocked to us:
Nico: Arizona was always on late and always had Bill Walton commentating so yeah....not about that life. I'd rather not have another midget guard to get targeted. Didn't even shoot that well.

Terry: Been trying to not get hyped. He seems to tick most of the boxes we need especially if he grew like has been stated.

Lewis: eh. Kinda feel the same way about him as I do Nico. Has long arms tho so might not be too bad on defense down the line.

Hampton: This is the type of prospect I overhype every year lol. He has all the tools mayne...but his tape is terrible lol. We probably aren't the spot for him tho as I doubt the FO wants to wait even though thats what I'd do...but also doubt Embiid or Simmons wants to wait either.

Gotta do some more deep diving but I just want whoever we draft to not have the question mark of he can't do **** all on offense. Get me a guard who can dribble and at least attempt to take shots and I'm good....pls

Nice list and thought and effort.
I mostly agree with the players at the top, just don’t see it with ball, especially Edwards who at least has the physical tools. Hayes I just don’t get the hype, bad shooter, extremely left hand dominant, average At best athlete that didn’t really get separation in a weak European league. Has good vision and size, but lots of bad habits, he drives and gets in the air with no plan way too often, but cool he has a midrange harden step back.

I don’t see wiseman or Okongwu. Neither project as elite and I just don’t think center is worth investing that heavily in guys that have such limited games.

I’m back and forth on Toppin. He has modern big man skill set, but looks very negative defensively. I do love players like him hard workers that made big leaps in development and not through the aau anointed one circuit. I think it would be really interesting pairing him with a versatile big like draymond, Ben Simmons, or draymond. He has unrivaled verticality in this draft. I see him more as a Harris/horford 3 point shooter like can shoot it god if open, but not fast enough on a strong contest/closeout. Playing him at the 4 would be tough, but if he can develop lower body strength to hold his own at the 5, he could be a lot of fun as small ball 5.

I think my biggest disagreement is Isaac Okoro. He’s one of my favorites in this draft. There is such a shortage of good wings in the league right now. He measures out similar to Andre iguodala, Jimmy butler, justice Winslow. He’s really strong and will step in and be able to be a teams best wing defender immediately and has speed and athleticism to defend fast guards as well. His shot needs work, but his numbers at 19.2 years old are ahead of iguodala, butler, Kawhi and Winslow. He definitely needs to work on his shot, but it’s not mkg broken. He also has good vision, and has some passing ability, and an ok not great handle, which I think is an underrated aspect of his game. I have him firmly ahead of Vassell who is trending upwards. But Vassell is much more slight of frame and I see him more of a guard defender no where near as good on ball, but really good team instincts. Vassell is a better shooter and that’s not a debate. I just think okoro has way more upside and is low key a better playmaker, shot creation ability. Okoro also has elite finishing, his fg% around the rim, has a nice spin move and eurostep.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#923 » by Kobblehead » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm

There's always that one guy that the draft community tricks themselves into thinking is a good defender.

Last year was DeAndre Hunter. This year it's Isaac Okoro. I promise that Okoro is going to be a terrible on-ball defender at the NBA level. He's just a jacked athlete that looks the part. His actual defense is butcheeks.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,121

Post#924 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:05 am

stormi wrote:https://theplaygrounder.com/2020/09/12/data-scouting-3-and-d-wings/

Elleby man.

Would love to get Paul Reed, Tyler Bey, and/or CJ Elleby in the 2nd or trading up into the late 1st.

Reed = backup big who can protect the rim, switch, defend the perimeter, and has a chance to develop a shot.

Bey = 3&D big wing who hopefully can develop into a RoCo type.

Elleby = Combo guard who can play off Ben and be a secondary initiator.

All 3 may be undervalued because of mediocre 3 point shooting. Their free throw %'s give hope for shooting improvement.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#925 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:10 am

Mik317 wrote:Bored as **** and wanted to put my bad takes out in the air.

Spoiler:

Guys often mocked to us:

Good writeup. For the guys realistically available at our spot, I want Tyrell Terry or Kira Lewis. Let them be our backup PG for two years behind CP3, then take over as the starter after that.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#926 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:19 am

"Anthony: I hate Roy Williams lol. UNC was ass cheeks this year so its hard to truly evaluate him but his ft% was bad and he died everytime I watched so with our training staff naw son."

All I can say is he reminds me so much of Jamal Murray its crazy. Except he is more athletic and faster/quicker.

Murray shot 78% FT in college, Anthony 75%. Otherwise pretty similar overall numbers and game. No defense really, but a microwave on offense, playmaker who can get into the lane and make the right play, scores in a variety of ways. Anthony 3pt% could've been better but he also played with less spacing due to his team not being very good shooters.

I could absolutely see Cole Anthony come in as a backup combo guard who lights it up on offense, and if develops his step back more and refines his offensive arsenal, he could turn into a 20ppg scorer in the NBA, as a perfect complement to a PG like Ben.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#927 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:09 pm

League confirmed 11/18 as set date for the 2020 draft.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#928 » by Kobblehead » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:58 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:"Anthony: I hate Roy Williams lol. UNC was ass cheeks this year so its hard to truly evaluate him but his ft% was bad and he died everytime I watched so with our training staff naw son."

All I can say is he reminds me so much of Jamal Murray its crazy. Except he is more athletic and faster/quicker.

Murray shot 78% FT in college, Anthony 75%. Otherwise pretty similar overall numbers and game. No defense really, but a microwave on offense, playmaker who can get into the lane and make the right play, scores in a variety of ways. Anthony 3pt% could've been better but he also played with less spacing due to his team not being very good shooters.

I could absolutely see Cole Anthony come in as a backup combo guard who lights it up on offense, and if develops his step back more and refines his offensive arsenal, he could turn into a 20ppg scorer in the NBA, as a perfect complement to a PG like Ben.

I think Anthony is significantly more dynamic off the dribble than Murray. I'd compare him to Trae Young in terms of his pure ability to score off the dribble. However, he doesn't have anything near the shooting or passing ability of Trae.

Cole will ball off the dribble, for sure. I just don't see him offering anything else. Like you said, bad defender. And he's tiny as hell, too.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#929 » by Negrodamus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 pm

I've been saying that if we trade Shake this offseason, I hope we draft Mason Jones to take his spot, but I actually think I'd rather grab Elijah Hughes. I know Kobble has said that his offense is predicated on back cuts and contested shots, but he was an elite three point shooter on open looks and we honestly need guys to move in space without the ball. He also has the look of an NBA player and feels like the tools are all there to be a great scorer off the bench. I don't think he has a "star" ceiling, but at the very least can been a scorer with passable defense.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#930 » by Kobblehead » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:40 pm

We definitely need more size on the wing. We have too many role player wings that weigh like 200 pounds soaking wet. Hughes has size and passing ability.

Personally, I prefer Tres Tinkle because he has similar qualities but with a little bit better defense IMO.

Also, if we're going to put a full emphasis on getting a big bodied defender on the wing, I really like Xavier Sneed. I think he's a rough rider type that will just come in and guard physically. Pure playoff defender.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#931 » by Kobblehead » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:44 pm

Friendly reminder that New Mexico State was 25-6 this year and Trevelin Queen is a monster.

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,654

Post#932 » by stormi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:21 am

I'm super into Tyrese Maxey if he's there at 21. Reminds me of more athletic Dragic with how crafty he is with ball fakes and finishing around the rim. Solid ft% too so he should trend into a good shooter at the next level

If we took someone like Maxey at 21, I would definitely look into packaging 34&36 to get into the late 20's to secure Tyler Bey

Then use 49 on a Elleby or Desmond Bane
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#933 » by phillynative » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:59 am

Kobblehead wrote:Friendly reminder that New Mexico State was 25-6 this year and Trevelin Queen is a monster.

I like this guy he's older but no holes . I have a feeling he will woo teams with his competitive attitude and move up.
skulky
Junior
And1: 94

Post#934 » by skulky » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:10 pm

stormi wrote:I'm super into Tyrese Maxey if he's there at 21. Reminds me of more athletic Dragic with how crafty he is with ball fakes and finishing around the rim. Solid ft% too so he should trend into a good shooter at the next level

If we took someone like Maxey at 21, I would definitely look into packaging 34&36 to get into the late 20's to secure Tyler Bey

I agree about Maxey, I really like him, and great value at 21.

I like Tyler Bey, not sure I’d trade up for him. He’ll be a project. My reservation is that can be one of the most challenging transitions. Bey would be going from tweener college big to nba wing. Can he develop the skills to make the transition is the question.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#935 » by Mik317 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I really like the idea of RJ Hampton. Might be the Fultz replacement we need....but we probably can't wait for him to develop sadly. Team will probably continue to go after more "finished" products
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#936 » by Arsenal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:44 pm

stormi wrote:I'm super into Tyrese Maxey if he's there at 21. Reminds me of more athletic Dragic with how crafty he is with ball fakes and finishing around the rim. Solid ft% too so he should trend into a good shooter at the next level

You forgot to sell a couple of 2nds to pay for Joshua's yacht.
stormi
General Manager

Post#937 » by stormi » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Arsenal wrote:

You forgot to sell a couple of 2nds to pay for Joshua's yacht.

kaslfjlaksjgkaljg
stormi
General Manager

Post#938 » by stormi » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:20 am

skulky wrote:

I agree about Maxey, I really like him, and great value at 21.

I like Tyler Bey, not sure I’d trade up for him. He’ll be a project. My reservation is that can be one of the most challenging transitions. Bey would be going from tweener college big to nba wing. Can he develop the skills to make the transition is the question.

I think Bey's athletic profile and defensive instincts get him on the floor as a rookie. Like a better Grant Williams. I see him def being a riser though and taken in the early 20's.

He has all the tools to be a winning role player like an OG with a Jaylen Brown type ceiling if he can corral that shot. depending on how the board fell if my favorite guard targets were off the board at 21, i would absolutely take him there, just because I think you can retrieve great value on another ballhandler in the early 2nd
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#939 » by Arsenal » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:12 am

Terry at 21, trade up with 34+36 for Bey, PROFIT
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,746

Post#940 » by Negrodamus » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:04 am

Terry falls under the first rounders I'd be okay with (although he falls a little short of some of my stat prerequisites) along with Bey, Jones, Bolmaro, and Maledon.

However, the longer I'm watching them, the more I'm convinced that we have to leave this draft with Elleby and Skylar Mays. Those two are way too underrated in this draft.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers