Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Re: Who Should Be The Next Coach? 

Post#61 » by Tom White » Wed Sep 9, 2020 7:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Reminder:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't know about Krauskopf, but drafting Ann Meyer was a total PR job and nothing else. Hiring Nancy Leonard was a money thing. The Pacers were broke, and she teamed with Slick for likely less money than someone else would have garnered.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#62 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:01 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Reminder:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't know about Krauskopf, but drafting Ann Meyer was a total PR job and nothing else. Hiring Nancy Leonard was a money thing. The Pacers were broke, and she teamed with Slick for likely less money than someone else would have garnered.

Still. Lot of teams needed PR and Indy actually did it. Gave Meyer guaranteed money on a contract, too.

Krauskopf (Kelly, not Becky), is currently an AGM for the team and part of the core brain trust of roster operations with Pritchard and Buchanan.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#63 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 9, 2020 11:33 pm

Apart from drafting an injured Catchings, Fever roster building hasn't impressed me.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 am

Wizop wrote:Apart from drafting an injured Catchings, Fever roster building hasn't impressed me.

Sent from my phone.

Krauskopf?

They’ve survived over 20 years in the WNBA, which is an achievement in its own. Otherwise, 3 Finals appearances and a Championship aren’t too shabby. 12 straight years in the playoffs. National director of 3 straight gold medal winning Olympic teams. First director of operations for the WNBA overall. I don’t think we need to question her past achievements in women’s basketball.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Whoa
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:27 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,269

Post#67 » by boomershadow » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:06 am

Watching MDA coach the Rockets in the playoffs, basically playing an 8 man rotation and two of them got 11 minutes or less.

That aspect of his coaching would bother me.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#68 » by Vorda » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm

I'm for Donovan… he did good job in OKC
Wizop
RealGM

Post#69 » by Wizop » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote: I don’t think we need to question her past achievements in women’s basketball.

I'll agree to disagree. I thought they went too far away from the draft, but I do understand building around Tamika.

back to the Pacers, the WireTap Billings piece says he has relationships with some of our players. I think I'd prefer some experience though. could he be a lead under Becky?

and speaking of coaching, Nurse has put on a clinic in flexibility. last night late he went super-small with OG at the 5 so that they could switch (and zone) everything. gave up some Theis buckets and rebounds but neutralized the pick game.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#70 » by pacers33granger » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Wizop wrote:
back to the Pacers, the WireTap Billings piece says he has relationships with some of our players. I think I'd prefer some experience though. could he be a lead under Becky?

Yeah it says he has a relationship with both Vic and Malcolm. It shouldn't be a factor in the search really, but it doesn't hurt at all.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#71 » by Wizop » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:38 am

D'Antoni not making many adjustments against Lakers.

Sent from my phone.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#72 » by Moooose » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 am

Wizop wrote:D'Antoni not making many adjustments against Lakers.

Sent from my phone.

I was waiting for Houston's small ball / center-less experiment to peak. It guess it has reached the tipping point in this game. PJ Tucker, Jeff Green can definitely grind it out but they are being over-used. I honestly feel bad for PJ Tucker in having to assume the "big guy" role and having the toughest assignments on defense every night. I guess the same goes for everyone else in that roster who has to assume different positions on defense.

I truly believe that one good, legit, back-up center might have done some difference for Houston. And I don't know who's directive it was to not have an insurance center in the roster.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#73 » by pacers33granger » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Wizop wrote:D'Antoni not making many adjustments against Lakers.

Sent from my phone.
I would be concerned with his rotations if we signed him but he wasn't given much to work with this year for role players and has two insanely high usage guys to accommodate.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by Tom White » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 pm

Moooose wrote:I truly believe that one good, legit, back-up center might have done some difference for Houston. And I don't know who's directive it was to not have an insurance center in the roster.

You're right. If you look at their roster, the only true center they have is Tyson Chandler, and he should be close to qualifying for Social Security at this point. I have no idea why they allowed that situation to be the case.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#75 » by pacers33granger » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:34 pm

The problem seemed to be that D'Antoni's style is to play the best guys regardless of position and Houston never got a big that was better than their 10th man. They had Hartenstein earlier, but he wasn't really an NBA player. Over the past few years with Houston he's had Capela, Ryan Anderson, Faried, Nene, and Trez all have legit roles on the team at one point or another. Tyson Chandler was DPOY under him in NY. etc.

If D'Antoni has bigs that are worth playing, he usually does. He just doesn't play bigs for the sake of having someone tall out there.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:02 am

pacers33granger wrote:The problem seemed to be that D'Antoni's style is to play the best guys regardless of position and Houston never got a big that was better than their 10th man. They had Hartenstein earlier, but he wasn't really an NBA player. Over the past few years with Houston he's had Capela, Ryan Anderson, Faried, Nene, and Trez all have legit roles on the team at one point or another. Tyson Chandler was DPOY under him in NY. etc.

If D'Antoni has bigs that are worth playing, he usually does. He just doesn't play bigs for the sake of having someone tall out there.

And guys like PJ Tucker and Jeff Green aren’t able to keep up with wings anymore, but they’re big enough and savvy enough to guard big men. And with the league going away from Low post/pivot big men, they’re really guarding 4’s that are masquerading as 5’s. And midseason, when Houston needed a defensive wing stopper more than anything, the only thing of value they could’ve traded was Clint Capela, so they did and went all in on their style, and focused on dictating to their opponents their style of play.

As for the short rotation, Danuel House was withheld for potential quarantine violations.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#77 » by Moooose » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:44 am

Tom White wrote:
Moooose wrote:I truly believe that one good, legit, back-up center might have done some difference for Houston. And I don't know who's directive it was to not have an insurance center in the roster.

You're right. If you look at their roster, the only true center they have is Tyson Chandler, and he should be close to qualifying for Social Security at this point. I have no idea why they allowed that situation to be the case.

I didn't knew Tyson Chandler is still with the team. And he isn't playing.

I just can't seem to imagine how the idea got sold. I am intrigued by whose idea is it, Morey or D'Antoni?

pacers33granger wrote:The problem seemed to be that D'Antoni's style is to play the best guys regardless of position and Houston never got a big that was better than their 10th man. They had Hartenstein earlier, but he wasn't really an NBA player. Over the past few years with Houston he's had Capela, Ryan Anderson, Faried, Nene, and Trez all have legit roles on the team at one point or another. Tyson Chandler was DPOY under him in NY. etc.

Hartenstein would've been a big help in their matchup with the Lakers. He was getting solid minutes prior to the trades and was waived for a guy who is sitting the year off. They aren't even using a full 10-man rotation. It's just weird. Bold, but it's weird.

I agree with your take on how D'Antoni plays his bigs. As a matter of fact, I really liked how he designs pick and rolls with a skilled big man. And for that reason, he is still on top of my list. We have a guy here who, I think, could only benefit from that kind of system in Domas. There's no way we're getting an overhaul if the Pacers do hire him, I think. We have some good pieces here.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Sounds like all may not be happy in Houston. Wonder if D'Antoni would accept a short contract with a Billips as Coach in Waiting. At his age, D'Antoni might be willing to transition to an office role, and Billups could use the experience.

Sent from my phone.
Tom White
Sixth Man

Post#79 » by Tom White » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Wizop wrote:Sounds like all may not be happy in Houston. Wonder if D'Antoni would accept a short contract with a Billips as Coach in Waiting. At his age, D'Antoni might be willing to transition to an office role, and Billups could use the experience.

I think I saw a quote from him saying he wanted to coach four more years. Now, that could have been a signal to Houston about what length of contract he is looking for.
Vorda
Senior
And1: 131

Post#80 » by Vorda » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am

D'Antoni is 70 years old? That's too much… Donovan is a better option

Return to Indiana Pacers