ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back)

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Re: Trade Thread (TRADE WARS EPISODE V: The Empire Strikes Back) 

Post#1781 » by azwfan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:32 am

shrink wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
shrink wrote:Hey guys, I’m in a debate with a friend, and I just wanted to verify something.

I think that despite the lux taxes, the Warriors brass will definitely use the Iguodala TPE, right?

It seems obvious to me for a championship contender who gave up assets to get that TPE, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys, who know better than me.

I'd say it depends who is available.

I may owe him an apology. I assumed you would use it, or at least part of it, on the best player you could get.

Im in the “it depends” camp.

I think its 50/50 we use it on someone like Snell or Sato (players who i think its debatable if they are rotation players on a contender). If we have a shot at someone who is a rotation player on contending team, we’re using it. We got like 4 players right now and 1 of the 4 is Wiggins. I got hope for Paschall, Chriss, and Looney (health) - but those cant be players 5-7 and expect to compete for a title.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#1782 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:06 pm

wco81 wrote:Scott Brooks was going to tell WB how to play or work on improving his game?

When he and the team had early success, I think it became much tougher to get Westbrook to develop his skills.

Watching the Rox/Lakers series Westbrook still takes bad shots far too often and still plays out of control far too much.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1783 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:13 pm

shrink wrote:Hey guys, I’m in a debate with a friend, and I just wanted to verify something.

I think that despite the lux taxes, the Warriors brass will definitely use the Iguodala TPE, right?

It seems obvious to me for a championship contender who gave up assets to get that TPE, but I just wanted to confirm with you guys, who know better than me.

They absolutely will TRY to use it, but they don't want to waste it either.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,375

Post#1784 » by ILOVEIT » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Scott Brooks was going to tell WB how to play or work on improving his game?

When he and the team had early success, I think it became much tougher to get Westbrook to develop his skills.

Watching the Rox/Lakers series Westbrook still takes bad shots far too often and still plays out of control far too much.

They seem to be bad shots because he misses so many lol. I just think he's not a good shooter. How can you aim the basketball when you are moving so fast....that out of control thing totally messes up his ability to settle down and shoot the ball with touch.

He's kind of the opposite of Paul Peirce...looked slow but was always in control...deliberate and his shot was pure.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1785 » by Warriors Analyst » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Warriors ownership is well positioned to weather the pandemic financial storm. Assuming within a year or so that fans can come back into the arena and Chase Center can hold concerts again, they'll be making up for lost revenue. So they money isn't really as big a concern as outside observers on the Trade & Transactions boards make it out to be when they have us dumping Wiggins and all of our picks for bit players for the sake of saving money.

I will say though, I can only see the TPE being used attached to one of, if not both of, #2 pick and Minnesota FRP. What does the TPE by itself get us? Maybe a team like Detroit is willing to take a second round pick for Tony Snell? San Antonio might want to get off of Rudy Gay? Fertitta probably wants to dump salary too, but I doubt Eric Gordon or Covington are available without us giving up some picks. Basically the only guys I could see being available for the TPE that wouldn't require pick compensation would be comparable to minimum contract guys. There's really only a marginal difference between Tony Snell and Glenn Robinson III.

So this is to say, I think the TPE will only be involved in a bigger move or a trade down pick swap. Oubre is a name that's been tossed around. Smart has as well, but I see no reason Boston would trade him. Kennard in a pick swap could make sense. Some of the younger guys in Chicago could make sense too and I've liked some of the Philly/Brooklyn packages where we get Dinwiddie/Prince while offloading Wiggins and the #2 to one of those teams.
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1786 » by ShayDee » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:40 pm

We aren't going to use the #2 pick to offload anyone. Oubre is not worth a pick swap, the suns will give us a pick to take in Oubre. We only using the #2 pick/minny pick to get a star back that fits with the core. The TPE will be used to either absorb a big contract for a trade down the line like at the trade deadline, in which we might use the minny/#2 pick. Also it might be used as a salary dump for a useful player. Like Snell, Rudy Gay, Prince, Rose, Aminu, Delon Wright, Thad Young, Sato, Kelly Olynyk. We are not going to give any picks to get these players. Only 2nd round picks
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#1787 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:17 pm

I imagine we could use the TPE to absorb a salary that needs to get dumped from another team to facilitate a trade. Maybe that player is useful on his own or maybe we do it for a pick.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1788 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

They seem to be bad shots because he misses so many lol. I just think he's not a good shooter. How can you aim the basketball when you are moving so fast....that out of control thing totally messes up his ability to settle down and shoot the ball with touch.

He's kind of the opposite of Paul Peirce...looked slow but was always in control...deliberate and his shot was pure.

Yes, if it's a shot you are likely to miss it becomes a bad shot :)

His out-of-control thing also means that even when he really tries on defense he tends to jump at the first idea he has and get out of position.

Also the fact that he's built his whole game on being quick and explosive means it will fall off a cliff when he loses that explosion.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1789 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 pm

I think most people don't realize or are not thinking about the fact that most of the NBA is going to be over the cap even with some of the more optimistic cap numbers talked about, and most of the NBA will be looking to dump salary. The Warriors are one of the few buyers in a market looking to dump contracts. That means they have a better chance of winning trades. And winning them big.

The issue is the few other teams willing to be buyers will make it harder for the Warriors to set the price.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#1790 » by Upperclass » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 am

Would you flip Wiggins for Harden if the Rockets were interested?
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#1791 » by jason bourne » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:20 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:I think most people don't realize or are not thinking about the fact that most of the NBA is going to be over the cap even with some of the more optimistic cap numbers talked about, and most of the NBA will be looking to dump salary. The Warriors are one of the few buyers in a market looking to dump contracts. That means they have a better chance of winning trades. And winning them big.

The issue is the few other teams willing to be buyers will make it harder for the Warriors to set the price.

This doesn't fit with what Joe Lacob said.

"According to a league source, Golden State is unlikely to let a drop in the cap change how it approaches roster-building. Lacob realizes that with Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green all in their early 30s, the Warriors might only have a three- or four-year window to win another title. Even if it requires a massive luxury-tax burden, Golden State will do what it can to capitalize on the rest of its core players’ prime years. Anything else would go against what this ownership group has come to represent."

This certainly doesn't mean the Warriors will be taking on dumped contracts such as Al Horford (will be 34 next year) to get Ben Simmons. If we go by what Andrew Wiggins did with the Warriors in 12 games and 42 games with TWolves this season, then he's still the same player and negative contract. Any blockbuster deal would have to involve him going out. Likely, Wiggins' negative trade value won't improve unless he does a lot better with Steph, Klay, and Dray. Wiggins also is young (will be 25 next year), so he has that going for him.

Instead, I see the Warriors using their TPE + SRP in order to get an expiring contract. Then, they can use that along with their draft picks to help another capped out team make a big trade.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1792 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm

jason bourne wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:I think most people don't realize or are not thinking about the fact that most of the NBA is going to be over the cap even with some of the more optimistic cap numbers talked about, and most of the NBA will be looking to dump salary. The Warriors are one of the few buyers in a market looking to dump contracts. That means they have a better chance of winning trades. And winning them big.

This doesn't fit with what Joe Lacob said.

"According to a league source, Golden State is unlikely to let a drop in the cap change how it approaches roster-building. Lacob realizes that with Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green all in their early 30s, the Warriors might only have a three- or four-year window to win another title. Even if it requires a massive luxury-tax burden, Golden State will do what it can to capitalize on the rest of its core players’ prime years. Anything else would go against what this ownership group has come to represent."

This certainly doesn't mean the Warriors will be taking on dumped contracts such as Al Horford (will be 34 next year) to get Ben Simmons. If we go by what Andrew Wiggins did with the Warriors in 12 games and 42 games with TWolves this season, then he's still the same player and negative contract. Any blockbuster deal would have to involve him going out. Likely, Wiggins' negative trade value won't improve unless he does a lot better with Steph, Klay, and Dray. Wiggins also is young (will be 25 next year), so he has that going for him.

Instead, I see the Warriors using their TPE + SRP in order to get an expiring contract. Then, they can use that along with their draft picks to help another capped out team make a big trade.

What I said goes against what Lacob said not at all. I said they were going to spend money, he said they were going to spend money.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1793 » by Mylie10 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Has everybody seen our current roster?

We have to use everything at our disposal. No other option if we are serious about contending.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 258

Post#1794 » by ShayDee » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 pm

I know most of us love Wiggins but if the FO were looking for cheaper deals which would you like? I highly doubt the teams will take Wiggins though

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1795 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:46 pm

Of those two I'd be more inclined to do the Magic trade, but I still don't like it. Gordon is a power forward and we have two of those in Green and Paschall. As far as the Kings trade goes, I don't ever want Barnes back in a Warriors uniform.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#1796 » by TB » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:30 pm

I think i'd say yes to both of those deals.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#1797 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Upperclass wrote:Would you flip Wiggins for Harden if the Rockets were interested?

I kind of hate to say it, but yes.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Post#1798 » by TB » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Would you flip Wiggins for Harden if the Rockets were interested?

I kind of hate to say it, but yes.

He's one of my least favorite players in the NBA. And yes, i'd trade for him in a second.
lars_rosenberg
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,741

Post#1799 » by lars_rosenberg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:48 am

What if the Clippers made Paul George available?
His value is all time low after the atrocious performance in the playoffs, but he would still fit like a glove in GSW and he wouldn't have the pressure to be a superstar. He could focus on defense and shooting and he's so much better than Wiggins at that.
I doubt Clippers are interested in a draft pick or even less in helping another contender, but maybe with a three team trade that brings them another star (Beal maybe? Wizards may be interested in #2 + next year Minnesota pick + Wiggins) they could think about it. PG was THAT bad.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#1800 » by jason bourne » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:24 am

lars_rosenberg wrote:What if the Clippers made Paul George available?
His value is all time low after the atrocious performance in the playoffs, but he would still fit like a glove in GSW and he wouldn't have the pressure to be a superstar. He could focus on defense and shooting and he's so much better than Wiggins at that.
I doubt Clippers are interested in a draft pick or even less in helping another contender, but maybe with a three team trade that brings them another star (Beal maybe? Wizards may be interested in #2 + next year Minnesota pick + Wiggins) they could think about it. PG was THAT bad.

Ballmer said he'll add another star to the Clippers despite the cost (after today's gm 7), but thought that was in addition to Kawhi and PG-13. George didn't lose it all by himself. Both he and Kawhi went something like 0-14 in the 4Q so you can't just blame him. What about Ivica Zubac? He's somebody who can clog the middle, play D, get rebounds. score some, and is young. He's not that expensive, 3 yrs/$21 M. Have no idea what it would take to get him. Clippers need some picks.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage

Return to Golden State Warriors