Image ImageImage Image

New Head Coach Mega Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

erlim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,050

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#621 » by erlim » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:07 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

Hinrich was overrated by the fan base and the FO. I want no part of Joerger but I would sooner see him as HC than Hinrich.

I’m fine giving Hinrich some front office role, but hell no as a head coach. I think he works as like a Christian camp with kids or something now, so he’s kinda around the game.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#622 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:18 pm

Dan Toni is out in Houston. Wonder if there is interest there.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#623 » by Jvaughn » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:24 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

I want no part of him, but the more candidates out there, the better chances we get a good one.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,234

Post#624 » by kodo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 pm

I can't see how MDA fits with us, from his standpoint at his age I think he would want a playoff situation. From our timeline, AK must be looking to reform this entire roster in his image in the next few years and the next biggest opportunity is '21.

I also think money is going to be an issue with all these big name coaches. Billy Donovan, Lue, and now MDA will all be looking for a lot of money and the biggest spenders, NYK and Brooklyn have already filled their vacancies.
The Evidence
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,620

Post#625 » by The Evidence » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:41 pm

I'd take a flier on him... but we wouldn't do it.

Many of the teams he's been linked to have weird outlooks IMO.

Philly - need to trade Embiid, but still stuck with Simmons J.
NO - roster built for halfcourt
Indiana - Oladipo leaving

He could be walking into another 08' NY / 12' LA 'bad fit' situation... vs a HOU situation.

Our roster isnt that far from fitting his style.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,529

Post#626 » by Andi Obst » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:42 pm

I think D'Antoni would be a very interesting solution for the Pacers. He's basically the anti-McMillan and I think their roster has more potential than it showed on offense. But I agree, I don't think he would be interested in the Bulls job and a rebuilding situation. Seems like a bad fit.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#627 » by samwana » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Jcool0 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:
Jason Kidd

Can't imagine Kidd would piss people off more than the above 3.

I think most fans like Hinrich
Best thing about Hinrich is that he's not here anymore. He's the one guy that would make me more mad than Boylen staying here.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
chicago paxsons
Bench Warmer
And1: 720

Post#628 » by chicago paxsons » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:36 pm

I get the interest in d’antoni because of his offensive acumen which would give this bulls team a very different style that could be very appealing, but i’m not sold on him. He’s had a lot of successes, but what worries me is that for the most part, you have to be a very specific type of player to really excel in a d’antoni system. His system forces the gm get players that fit his system. I know that is the case with most coaches to some extent, but i feel like d’antoni’s system requires it much more than most other coaches.

Lastly, i never felt like younger players ever really develop well under him unless they specifically fit his system (again, i know that is the case with most coaches, but i feel like more so with him), so considering our team is one of the youngest in the league with “core” players who haven’t really developed much in their short careers, it could backfire for us. I feel like d’antoni would be an exciting pick which would focus on immediate team success at the expense of getting the best of our young core long term.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#629 » by Red8911 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:45 pm

I don’t really like D’Antonis all offense style but he would still be great for the bulls. I don’t see it happening though. First Reinsdorf probably still hates him and second I doubt he goes to a team that’s not a proven winner.

Having said that though I do believe coaches still value Chicago more than places like Indiana or Philly. Bulls are just the better job regardless of the current roster.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,134

Post#630 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:47 pm

mike, dan and tony is the exact triumvirate of coaches this team needs
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#631 » by wonderboy2 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:05 pm

I despise D’Antoni offensive system. His teams always does good during the season but never goes the distance in the playoffs.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#632 » by BullsFTW » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm

I don’t want MDA either. Not a fan of his system.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#633 » by Hugi Mancura » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 pm

Out of remaining teams only Clippers play ISO ball. Teams either have good ball movement or good off the ball movement in offense. And majority of teams (Boston, Miami & Lakers) also have very good team defense. Does D'Antoni bring any of that? Nope, so Bulls should stay away from him. Also most likely D'Antoni doesn't want anything to do with Bulls. I think he rather would coach teams who are contenders or at least much would be with one or two right moves (Pacers or 76rs come to mind).
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,283

Post#634 » by Lunartic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:35 pm

dougthonus wrote:
transplant wrote:So you think Donovan may be a good choice, but the Bulls won't "buck up?"

I've generally put forward the opinion that coaching is a threshold skill. Once you past the threshold of quality, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Like the gap between a good coach and whomever you think the best coach in the world is probably only amounts to a game or two a year and also coaching is as much about individual fit as it is talent.

In that sense, I think Donovan passes the threshold of good coach and would be fine, but I don't think he'd outperform some other good coach, and I don't expect the Bulls will pay up for him. I'd guess he'll get 5M+ per season, but I might be wrong. The thing is, if an NBA team won't pay him that much, an elite college would probably consider firing their HC and bringing Donovan in for near that.

Very interesting view on coaching and very well put.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,812

Post#635 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:13 am

Despite his misgiving in the playoffs, D’Antoni is a good winning coach.

I think he would generate some positive buzz for this Bulls team, and would make for an exciting style of basketball, at least on the offensive end. He would give us an indentity, something that this team is currently lacking.

The truth is, we aren't going to be a playoff team without more talent, and further development from some key players. The thing I want to see in the next 3-4 years is to continue to build the stable with talent, see players develop and create some positive buzz around this team, see this team as a team that some of the youngers wantto play for, to want to coach for again. I think D’Antoni would help with that.

I don't think it will happen, but I definitely wouldn't hate it. We haven't hired an established head coach in forever, and I see Artūras Karnišovas wanting to hire someone younger, which I'm all for that path also.
Why so serious?
Onibuh
Senior
And1: 217

Post#636 » by Onibuh » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:24 am

D'Antoni would be the end of Lauri here for sure. Lavine would love him, but he would never throw a mid-range Jumper again.

Billy Donovan has to be on top of the list for us. There is no other way around.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#637 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 am

I don't think D'antoni will be an option for us and I am more than fine with that.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#638 » by gardenofsound » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:40 pm

Coaches currently on the market with some level of success as head coaches at the NBA level:

Tyronn Lue ***** (Cleveland)
Jeff Van Gundy **** (New York, Houston)
Stan Van Gundy **** (Houston, Miami, Orlando, Detroit)
Mike D'Antoni *** (Denver, Phoenix, New York, LA, Houston)
Billy Donovan ***
Alvin Gentry***
Dave Joerger**
Nate McMillan **
Brett Brown **
Mark Jackson **
Jason Kidd **
Kenny Atkinson *
David Fizdale *

Stars equate to pinnacle as head coach:
***** = won championship
**** = Finals
*** = Conference Finals
** = Semi Finals
* = Playoffs

Potential vacancies depending on how the rest of the playoffs shake out:
Frank Vogel***
Doc Rivers*****

Analysis of the open roles:

Philadelphia: anything less than a competitive showing in the ECF would be a disappointment.
Houston: anything less than a competitive showing in the WCF would be a disappointment, UNLESS they fire-sale and rebuild.
Indiana: expecting HCA in the first round, competitive showing in the ECSF.
New Orleans: make the playoffs and make the first round opponent take them seriously.
Oklahoma City: develop the young core and try to make the playoffs. If CP3 stays, then they should be threatening a first round upset.
Chicago: develop the young core and build an advertisement for free agents that this is a good place to be.

Potential open roles:
LA Lakers: championship or bust
LA Clippers: Finals or bust

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID, here's where I think things shake out from the Bulls perspective:

AK needs to wait out the playoffs.

If the Lakers win the championship, then I think Doc Rivers will get fired and will gun for the Chicago job. It's a big market with lots of cap space expected next year. He's also from Chicago. I think the big question here would be whether or not Chicago is willing to pony up for Doc.

If neither the Lakers or Clippers win the championship, then Doc will be coaching the Lakers next year and D'Antoni/Lue are vying for the Sixers job.

If the Clippers win the championship, then add Frank Vogel to the list of candidates, and expect Lue and D'Antoni to end up coaching the Lakers and Sixers.

If Doc Rivers isn't the next Bulls coach, then I think Donovan is plan B (but the Bulls may not be high on his list), and Atkinson/Unseld/Udoka are plan C.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#639 » by MrFortune3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 pm

Currently my list looks like this.
Billy Donovan
Ime Udoka
Wes Unseld Jr
Nate McMillon
Darvin Ham
Dan Craig
David Vanterpool
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#640 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 pm

chicago paxsons wrote:I get the interest in d’antoni because of his offensive acumen which would give this bulls team a very different style that could be very appealing, but i’m not sold on him. He’s had a lot of successes, but what worries me is that for the most part, you have to be a very specific type of player to really excel in a d’antoni system. His system forces the gm get players that fit his system. I know that is the case with most coaches to some extent, but i feel like d’antoni’s system requires it much more than most other coaches.

Lastly, i never felt like younger players ever really develop well under him unless they specifically fit his system (again, i know that is the case with most coaches, but i feel like more so with him), so considering our team is one of the youngest in the league with “core” players who haven’t really developed much in their short careers, it could backfire for us. I feel like d’antoni would be an exciting pick which would focus on immediate team success at the expense of getting the best of our young core long term.

D'Antoni ran more or less completely different systems that were hand catered to his personnel in Phoenix and Houston and had it not been for injuries, would have had a great chance at a title in both towns with talent that people would have said prior to him coaching them would have no shot in hell of winning a title.

I think he's really good. That said, I don't think really good coaches make a big difference, but I think he probably moves the needle more than most guys. He's willing to go way further out of the box in terms of doing things than most coaches would and isn't scared to go way outside convention.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls