ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread *UPDATES*

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by Def Leppard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:46 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:If you assume Siakam/OG/VV are long term starters, which I think is a safe assumption, the long term plan has to address the C and guard spots.

Need to find a scoring guard who can play off the ball. VV can handle the ball, hit 3s and defend but he shouldn't have as high an offensive usage as he currently has. He should be a 3rd or 4th option on offense at best, not a focal point.

At C, you want to target a rim protector who can stretch the floor. That's what everyone is looking for in the modern NBA, these two qualities are so important.
So TD and Boucher :)

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#42 » by Def Leppard » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:47 pm

TrustFundBaby wrote:Do a soft tank

Let Ibaka, Gasol, FVV walk. Sign some end of bench pieces like RHJ for depth

I would take on the Oladipo gamble, provided that his cap hold or whatever we sign him to doesn't impact Giannis. We absolutely need a shot creator to pair with Giannis. I doubt IND goes for Powell+Pick though

Lowry
TD/Thomas
OG/Powell
Pascal/RHJ
Boucher/Hernandez

This roster is probably a 7-8 seed behind MIA BOS BKN IND MIL PHI.

Should be a strictly developmental year for players like Pascal, OG, TD2, whoever we draft this year. Realistically we aren't getting out the second round with this core as is, so no point in getting vets.

Bank on Giannis coming to play with the African connection

After that, back to contender status. It's just one year in the dumps tbh
I would be ok with this, in the event we cant resign our dudes are reasonable rates

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#43 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:53 pm

here's a quick mock

Trades

FVV S+T +29 for Victor Oladipo
Norm + 59 for 15 + 45

Signings
Marc Gasol/Aron Baynes 1yr 4M
Harry Giles 2 year 8M
MKG/RHJ/Vonleh/Ojeleye 1 yr Min
Serge Ibaka/Derrick Favors/Tristain Thompson 1 year 10M

Roster

Starter| Backup | 3rd | 2-way
G Kyle Lowry | Theo Maledon(15th) |Pat McCaw | Guard UFA
G Victor Oladipo | Terence Davis | Paul Watson | Forward (45)
F OG Anunoby | Matt Thomas| Stanley Johnson
F Pascal Siakam | MKG | Dewan Hernandez
B Derrick Favors | Marc Gasol| Harry Giles

~10M below the luxury tax (assuming threshold is same as this year)
- Acquire long term assets, 15th pick, 45th pick,
- Gamble on Dipo and Giles for an increased ceiling, (Dipo especially short term)
- Keep elite defensive foundation, improve shot creation but lose stretch big (more small ball w/ this team)
- Remain competitive next season while maintaining max room for 21
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#44 » by Rapsfan07 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:58 pm

kilpin wrote:Just a thought. Is there a realistic way We could front load a contract for Ibaka (maybe harder for Fred). I would have zero problems paying him much next year, but I would not want to overpay him from 2021 on. is it something feasible? Has it ever been Done?

Front loading does happen in the NBA. Its not super common but it does happen.

As far as Ibaka goes, I don't think that's going to happen. This is Ibaka's last big contract and his value is as high as its ever going to get. He's the perfect C for this modern movement in basketball and has proven productive both in the regular season and the postseason.

We could theoretically offer a 1 + 1 with a large amount of guaranteed money in the first year and a player option in the second but I have to imagine a few teams around the league will be offering 3 or maybe even 4 year deals (all guaranteed) at north of $20M. Better for him to take those offers seeing as the term of the deal will be more important than the salary.

Then there's the fact that we're probably a first or second round exit team next year as well...

In all honesty, I think Ibaka is gone. I said this earlier but knowing we weren't gonna win a chip this year, we should have moved him for something. Either way, the best we can hope for now is a S&T or he'll walk for nothing.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,527

Post#45 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:11 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:here's a quick mock

Trades

Norm + 59 for 15 + 45

Signings
Harry Giles 2 year 8M

Roster

- Gamble on Dipo and Giles for an increased ceiling, (Dipo especially short term)
- Keep elite defensive foundation, improve shot creation but lose stretch big (more small ball w/ this team)

The Powell trade to orlando seems a little too good to be true but I would definitely be down with this base idea
Maybe target some different free agents that's all
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#46 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:20 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:

Trades

Norm + 59 for 15 + 45

Signings
Harry Giles 2 year 8M

Roster

The Powell trade to orlando seems a little too good to be true but I would definitely be down with this base idea

Including 45 might be asking too much but I think that’s around Norms value is a top 10-20 pick in this draft.

My initial thought was Orlando could use Norm as a Fournier replacement if he walks. Other teams I’d offer similar (Pelicans 13th, Kings 12th, Mavs 18)

I tried to lean towards defensive minded FAs who could play in the playoffs and who would take a one year deal. So shooting ended up being sacrificed although with Matt/Theo/ Davis in the rotation I think our shooting could arguably be just as good
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#47 » by team edward » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm

nabbs wrote:Charlotte, Indy, Toronto 3 way

Hornets receive Myles Turner and Dewan Hernandez

Indiana receives Terry Rozier, Norman Powell, Mccaw, Raps 29th pick

Toronto receives Oladipo

I mean great but oladipo for Norm and a negative value pick is not likely.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#48 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Trades

Norm + 59 for 15 + 45

Signings
Harry Giles 2 year 8M

Roster

Including 45 might be asking too much but I think that’s around Norms value is a top 10-20 pick in this draft.

My initial thought was Orlando could use Norm as a Fournier replacement if he walks. Other teams I’d offer similar (Pelicans 13th, Kings 12th, Mavs 18)

I tried to lean towards defensive minded FAs who could play in the playoffs and who would take a one year deal. So shooting ended up being sacrificed although with Matt/Theo/ Davis in the rotation I think our shooting could arguably be just as good

I'd say 15th pick is the ceiling and probably more likely a early 20s but none of those teams make sense, definitely think including the 45 is too much though.
I'm not sure what the magics plan is but I think they might be more into just keeping the pick considering it might be a step back year for them with Isaac out.
Mavs do make sense they play a good style that Powell would fit into and he would add more defense than their guards now while still being a positive shot maker.

I'm all in on Giles it was mainly just the mgk choice
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#49 » by Slim_Charles » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:19 pm

Re-sign Masai (not sure if his contract is up)
Sign and trade FVV to Indiana for Oladipo
Re-sign Ibaka and OG
Gasol looks finished
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#50 » by HeadtopChunes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:The Powell trade to orlando seems a little too good to be true but I would definitely be down with this base idea

I'd say 15th pick is the ceiling and probably more likely a early 20s but none of those teams make sense, definitely think including the 45 is too much though.
I'm not sure what the magics plan is but I think they might be more into just keeping the pick considering it might be a step back year for them with Isaac out.
Mavs do make sense they play a good style that Powell would fit into and he would add more defense than their guards now will still being a positive shot maker.

Eh I think this draft is bad enough for norm to have extra value. Especially after a great 6 man season. Sac and NOLA might be losing their starting 2 and having Norm for his prime could be pretty nice.

I just see MKG as an upgraded Rondae, who might be actually able to play in the playoffs. Not too many options at minimum level money
bape_lovers
RealGM
And1: 17,872

Re: Official Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#51 » by bape_lovers » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:40 pm

Why would u want Oladipo? He is always injured

Lord_Zedd wrote:Pray to god Fred doesn't get a similar contract as Brogdan......

I thank you for your services Fred but $20 million+ is way too much for someone that can get easily shut down but a bigger guard.

I'm still all in on Oladipo just to entertain 2020-2021 as a filler year before Giannis

Credit to JaysRule, Detective
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#52 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:44 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Mavs do make sense they play a good style that Powell would fit into and he would add more defense than their guards now will still being a positive shot maker.

Eh I think this draft is bad enough for norm to have extra value. Especially after a great 6 man season. Sac and NOLA might be losing their starting 2 and having Norm for his prime could be pretty nice.

I just see MKG as an upgraded Rondae, who might be actually able to play in the playoffs. Not too many options at minimum level money

Well hopefully that's the case I mean it is possible, Ibaka was traded for a 1st and Ross, Vasquez was traded for a 2nd and a future 1st.
But at the time the exact pick number wasn't known so it makes a bit of a difference so maybe this draft being seen as "weaker" makes up for that.

If we manage to still have a 2nd I'd honestly rather just draft a pf then sign another black hole on offense like mgk but that's just me
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#53 » by Ell Curry » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:16 pm

My definitely going to be wrong guess at our quiet off-season in which we keep the powder dry for the 2021 off-season. Masai was pretty patient here before the Kawhi deal and I'm not sure something big and wonderful will present itself this summer.

1. Gasol stays for one year on a big amount. Still need a 5 to guard Embiid and Jokic types and he's a leader and even when he looked like **** his plus minus numbers weren't bad so worst case ontario you get 20 minutes of him, 20 minutes of a faster 5 and then 8 minutes of smallball a night type thing.

2. Ibaka signs a 3-4 year deal elsewhere. I don't think the market here is very strong so something like 48/3 and though that seems kinda low to fans, Masai doesn't match it, but maybe we do offer 20M for 1 year type of thing instead if Gasol doesn't stay for a similar deal. Ibaka has made 100M less than Gasol over his career and this is his last big contract and he's a nice compromise option for a GM who wants a 5 but also can't risk his more traditional coach being willing to play a 2nd or 3rd non-shooter.

3. Van Vleet leaves for an absolutely massive contract in NY or Detroit, like 120/4. He's arguably the top UFA once Anthony Davis stays with the Lakers and there's money out there and some team with a horrific culture will see a 26 year old Van Vleet as a player/coach type still young enough to be damn good at 28-29 when they think they'll be good. He's only made 19M so when we offer 80 and some team offers 120, well that won't do it. Some talk of a sign and trade will happen but yeah the money will decide this one. Fred showed he cares about politics and 40 extra million I mean he could fix a section of Rockford with that money.

4. RHJ stays, because the market for non-shooters isn't great and he had a nice regular season here and with Ibaka not coming back, maybe there are more minutes this time.

5. We sign a center with the MLE. Plumlee, Baynes or Len makes sense.

6. We also get a backup PG somehow. I love Davis but he isn't ready to take over running an offense, his pick and roll synergy numbers show that and his shooting numbers will drop at some point probably so making sure he can hit corner 3s and crash the boards and defend with consistency should be the main priorities with him. Maybe an exception or small trade brings this PG in. Chiozza looked intriguing, seems like a Masai type. Could also be with the 29th pick or some cheap 3rd PG we think is actually a solid #2 just on a mess of a team like Arcidiacano or Napier or

7. Finally, Masai looks at the roster and sees that we're a 50 win team but don't have enough playmaking and iso game to have a puncher's shot at winning the East but won't **** up the cap space. Bill Simmons called these irrational confidence guys. Someone like uh Demar, Jordan Clarkson, Carmelo, Eric Paschall, Jerome Robinson, Dillon Brooks or another chucker who can get hot for 20 minutes and create 1 on 1 makes sense. I've always been a Melo hater but honestly he makes a ton of sense for a 1 year deal if we bring back the same team and want another forward to play in a frontcourt with Siakam and OG and just be able to hit a few midrange isos and post ups when we're holding teams to 95 points and just need 96 to win.

Gasol/Boucher/Baynes
Siakam/RHJ
Anunoby/Melo/Watson
Powell/Davis/Thomas
Lowry/Chiozza

are the main 12

Bolder but less likely predictions:

1. Van Vleet turns down 120 from a terrible team, 80 from us and finds a 100M offer from a decent team who sends us back something in a sign and trade. Spurs make sense what with their collection of big guards who aren't great shooters if we want to further the bringing back Demar and a pick idea, but there are multiple others. Dallas loves small guards for one.

But ultimately it's to Nash the Canadian he goes. KD and Kyrie pushing for a trade like FVV sign and trade for Levert or even for Dinwiddie and detritus makes a ton of sense. With the latter, they get a lineup of Allen/KD/Harris/Kyrie/FVV with Levert as 6th man and we get a year of Dinwiddie as our iso scorer at end of games or when we're stuck and retain cap space in 2021 along with maybe a young player like Claxton, Musa or Kurucs or a pick from Brooklyn.

2. Rest is similar

Gasol/Boucher/Baynes
Siakam/RHJ
Anunoby/Davis
Powell/Thomas/Watson
Lowry/Dinwiddie

and we go 12 deep and win 55 games with Boucher seamlessly replacing Ibaka and Dinwiddie giving us a little more juice but none of Fred's defense or shooting or other skills. We lose to the Celtics again with a slightly worse defense but slightly better offense. Maybe we make a deadline deal this time for a forward for cheap that doesn't hurt us cap space wise from a Western Conference team that did not expect to miss the playoffs like Melo or Danuel House or Dort (would cost a pick or decent young player) or Paschall.

3. Giannis is traded elsewhere and instead of cap space we focus more on going after a talented player who Masai thinks will make the leap and whose team has no idea what to do with him like Oladipo or a new GM replacing the guy who drafted him hates like Marvin Bagley.
Where's the D?
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#54 » by mappiah19 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:36 pm

Here are some players we should consider

*Aron Baynes
*Harry Giles
*Shabazz Napier
*Treveon Graham
*Justin Holiday
*Jordan McRae

*Cap experts help.
carl_english
General Manager
And1: 3,140

Post#55 » by carl_english » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:17 am

Sign Drummond. Re-Sign Vanvleet. What else is there to do!?
gregdj
Starter
And1: 251

Post#56 » by gregdj » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:54 am

I dont care what anyone says... Siakam has to go. How do you take a huge contract and not even blood clat practice with all that time on your hands? I'll forgive FVV even though he was trying to play hero since there was so much liability on the court. There needs to be a shake up for the next season. This was embarrassing. Look at even DeMars work ethic in comparison to spicy p. DeMar took every opportunity to practice, his drive and passion was there. Spicy p doesn't have the drive to be a real star, he doesn't even have a left or acouple go to moves, like what?! Lol That's all I'm saying.
Red Star
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#57 » by Red Star » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:46 am

Sign Demar in the offseason and then halfway through the season trade him to LAC for Kawhi and instant championship.Its proven method for Masai and worked before. This time around Demar would be more happy since Masai would be sending him home :D
BROTHERHOOD + UNITY = TORONTO RAPTORS
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#58 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:11 am

The thing we are weakest at is wing depth. We have OG and Brisset. So yeah Maybe Tony Snell to back up OG. The best money move is giving Serge a good deal and saying gbye to Gasol and Fred.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,587

Post#59 » by Son Goku 25 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:25 am

Lol man, some of these suggestions remind me of the BC era and make me feel uneasy. Whatever Masai and Bobby ultimately do, it will come down to mostly getting 2 way players that aren't trash on defense or their offense is elite they make it up there.
Read
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#60 » by Wo1verine » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 am

I expect absolutely nothing worth talking about with regards to any major new faces.
We re-sign Fred and Ibaka and fill the roster will garbage non difference makers like Johnson types.
BrunoSkull

Return to Toronto Raptors