Image ImageImage Image

OT Bears 2019/20 season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,494

OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#1 » by dice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:25 pm

big situations that went the bears' way:

-mitch throws risky pass into coverage in first half, ball deflected and dropped by lions DB. stafford does same thing and fuller comes down with it

-shoestring tackle preventing big lions play (potentially a TD) in first half

-trubisky scramble/fumble creates huge loss, but it was 3rd down anyway. bears recover and save field position by punting

-stafford takes a big sack on 2nd down to take lions out of FG range up 10 in 4th. rather than go downfield on 3rd down to either get the first down or get close and set up a sub-50 yard FG attempt, they check down and are forced to decide between punting from the 37 and kicking a long FG. i'd have tried for the coffin corner to prevent the momentum from continuing to shift and putting mitch in a tough spot, but DOINK

-open game-winning TD dropped when lions receiver turns to run with the ball before catching it even though he's already in the endzone

can't think of anything significant that didn't go the bears' way. take the money and run, don't blow it by losing to an even worse team at home next week
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
patryk7754
Head Coach
And1: 1,093

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season and beyond 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:42 pm

Nagy needs to stop trying to prove what a genius he is. Every time Trubisky gets in a rhythm Nagy makes a dumb play call trying to be fancy. Mitch is who he is. He’ll have some bad decisions and throws but if you have the right plays for him he’ll be successful overall. The frustrating thing is that Nagys regular plays are effective he just wants to to extra stuff for no reason.
dice
RealGM

Post#3 » by dice » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:39 pm

anyone else thumbs down on the artificial crowd noise? seemed to randomly rise at inappropriate times. had me looking for flags that weren't there a couple of times
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Charlesareed
Bench Warmer
And1: 649

Post#4 » by Charlesareed » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:39 pm

fleet wrote:
Dresden wrote:Mitch Trubisky is the best QB the Bears have ever had. I never doubted him for a minute.

Let’s just say Mitch is at least as good or better than the Detroit secondary. He bought himself another chance today.

He sure did well see how the season goes tho
Chicago Raised me
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#5 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Chi town wrote:We won despite an awful Mitch performance.

D played awful and a dropped TD for the win.

Nagy has to bench Mitch now. Unacceptable.

I don’t know that I’d call this an “awful” performance by Mitch. But he certainly wasn’t as good as he will need to be. When you make clutch throws to bring your tram back, that’s worth something no matter who it is against.

Maybe worse than awful until the 4th.

He missed Kmet wide open for a TD. FG.
He missed Allen Robinson wide open which would have been a TD. Punt.
I counted 5 first downs they would have picked up if Mitch makes an accurate throw.

He’s a head case. Tries food hard. He plays his best when he’s more of a gunslinger than a game manager. He’s got to run the ball and throw on the run. He’d be league average if he played to win and took risks instead of playing not to lose.

They dropped an easy pick and the game winning TD. The lions beat the lions. Mitch pulled a Jimmy on the Raps in the 4th.
wickywack
Junior
And1: 293

Post#6 » by wickywack » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:46 pm

transplant wrote:If somehow 4th quarter Mitch can become 4 quarters Mitch, we're in business. Dude is nails late in games, which of course contradicts the prevailing wisdom that he's weak-minded. He needs to be more assertive early.

It sure seems that way. Would be curious to see his career 4th q stats. Perhaps he's overthinking it early in the games and just playing when it gets tight at the end?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,948

Post#7 » by Chi town » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:50 pm

And Mooney looked really good. That kid is going to make some big plays. He flashes much like Cohen did early on.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#8 » by 2018C3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 am

dice wrote:
fleet wrote:
Read on Twitter

kid wants to be...skip bayless (?) so bad

Skips getting old, Someone will have to one day step in.
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by 2018C3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:12 am

After the game I tried to relive my youth, I went out for a mountain bike ride, and crashed.

Everything started out just fine:

https://ibb.co/Z6gSx0B

Elbow:
https://ibb.co/QkHh5nH

Leg:
https://ibb.co/m5B7RNc

After crashing I still got a great shot. (Note: I'm Just fine)

https://ibb.co/K9cTbwn
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#10 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:33 am

Quick Notes:

The Good:

-Johnson looks like a player. Got beat a couple times, but he was challenged a ton by Stanford and he won most of the time
-The offensive line did a better job run blocking than they did last year. Pass blocking was decent, but Mitch was often scrambling pretty quickly.
-Graham looks like he’ll be an important target. He is a big dude.
-nice to see Hicks back out there and get the only sack.
-Eddie Jackson looked like his old self, out there having fun and ball hawking.

The Bad:

-Nagys decision to be aggressive on their own 10 yard line with a minute left in the half and 1 timeout was awful. 3 and out, Detroit comes down and scores a TD, and gets the momentum.
-Pass rush looked bad, Mack looked bad.
-A kitten dies every time Nagy calls jet sweeps and tosses to the short side of the field. Stop it.
-This was Detroit. It is likely the worst secondary the Bears will face all year.

The Mitch:

-Didn’t look like an NFL quarterback for the first quarter. A little of it was on his receivers. Robinson dropped one in the end zone, he and Miller stopped on deep routes I thought they’d have a chance at. Graham mistimed his jump on one or two. I counted about 5-6 incompletions that could have been blamed on both QB and WR/TE.

-I thought a couple times he could have ran it, the pass in the end zone to Kmet I thought he could.

-Crazy as it sounds, the accuracy seemed a little better than last year. There wasn’t the wild overthrows, when he missed it was usually a step off. So progress?

A win is a win in the NFL, so it’s important. Also, looking at the schedule, it looks REALLY easy. They get the Giants on a short week next week, and they only have a couple of tough matchups all year (GB, Saints). They get Tampa early, but maybe they’re still working through things.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
dice
RealGM

Post#11 » by dice » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:51 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:-Nagys decision to be aggressive on their own 10 yard line with a minute left in the half and 1 timeout was awful. 3 and out, Detroit comes down and scores a TD, and gets the momentum.

being aggressive from one's own 10 with a minute left in the first half isn't bad at all IF:

1) the opposing defense is bad (which the lions are) AND
2) opposing team has all its timeouts (which the lions did)

because just running the ball 3 times actually takes less time off the clock if the defense immediately calls timeout after each one

so the bears actually probably made the correct decision to try and at least get a single first down, which would have enabled them to kill the half. the one obvious mistake was that cohen went OB on first down after a 3 yard gain, allowing detroit to preserve a TO
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,600

Post#12 » by Betta Bulleavit » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:57 am

Chi town wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:
Chi town wrote:We won despite an awful Mitch performance.

D played awful and a dropped TD for the win.

Nagy has to bench Mitch now. Unacceptable.

I don’t know that I’d call this an “awful” performance by Mitch. But he certainly wasn’t as good as he will need to be. When you make clutch throws to bring your tram back, that’s worth something no matter who it is against.

Maybe worse than awful until the 4th.

He missed Kmet wide open for a TD. FG.
He missed Allen Robinson wide open which would have been a TD. Punt.
I counted 5 first downs they would have picked up if Mitch makes an accurate throw.

He’s a head case. Tries food hard. He plays his best when he’s more of a gunslinger than a game manager. He’s got to run the ball and throw on the run. He’d be league average if he played to win and took risks instead of playing not to lose.

They dropped an easy pick and the game winning TD. The lions beat the lions. Mitch pulled a Jimmy on the Raps in the 4th.

Mitch missed some throws in the first half. However, the JG pass wasn’t the best thrown ball. But average guys catch that ball. A-Rob would tell you himself that he should have caught the ball that you’re referring to. The bottom line is that all QBs have at least a handful of throws that they’d like to have back every game. Mitch needs to be better. But he wasn’t awful. You don’t bring your team back from three possessions down in the 4th and have that classified as awful. Sorry. Can’t buy that. If this game happens to Mahomes, Watson, Wilson or whomever else, all the analysts would say “well he was a bit out of sync for the first 3 quarters...but hey, big time guys come up in big times situations and that’s all that matters”. Am I right or wrong??
dice
RealGM

Post#13 » by dice » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:03 am

according to jim grey, tom brady's shortlist of teams this offseason was chargers, bears, bucs
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:43 am

dice wrote:big situations that went the bears' way:

-mitch throws risky pass into coverage in first half, ball deflected and dropped by lions DB. stafford does same thing and fuller comes down with it

-trubisky scramble/fumble creates huge loss, but it was 3rd down anyway. bears recover and save field position by punting

-stafford takes a big sack on 2nd down to take lions out of FG range up 10 in 4th. rather than go downfield on 3rd down to either get the first down or get close and set up a sub-50 yard FG attempt, they check down and are forced to decide between punting from the 37 and kicking a long FG. i'd have tried for the coffin corner to prevent the momentum from continuing to shift and putting mitch in a tough spot, but DOINK

-open game-winning TD dropped when lions receiver turns to run with the ball before catching it even though he's already in the endzone

can't think of anything significant that didn't go the bears' way. take the money and run, don't blow it by losing to an even worse team at home next week

Awful pass interference call went against them in the first half gave the Lions a field goal.

Lack of pass interference on Robinson in the end zone where his arm was hooked cost the Bears a touch down.

Numerous dropped passes by receivers cost the Bears tons of yards and scoring opportunities.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: OT Bears 2019/20 season 

Post#15 » by Susan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:26 am

Just one game but the new OC/O-Line coach seemed to be a big difference from last year. They really never were impressive running the ball in Nagy's first two years but Cohen, Montgomery and Patterson were all moving the ball well and had plenty of space to move.

How do you guys feel about the defense? I wasn't really impressed with them but I have faith that they'll be able to figure it out just based on the talent and coaching. Quinn would be a clear huge boost to the pass rush that we can hope pans out.
dice
RealGM

Post#16 » by dice » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:34 am

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:big situations that went the bears' way:

Awful pass interference call went against them in the first half gave the Lions a field goal.

Lack of pass interference on Robinson in the end zone where his arm was hooked cost the Bears a touch down.

Numerous dropped passes by receivers cost the Bears tons of yards and scoring opportunities.

the robinson one certainly wasn't egregious. he didn't complain much if any. looked worse live than on replay. and i don't recall many outright drops by bears receivers other than the first throw to jimmy graham. nor do i remember the PI call you're referring to (appears to be an 11 yarder on buster skrine in 3rd quarter on a 1st and 10 - not exactly game changing)

i also left out the lions losing their star linebacker early due to touching the ref

unrelated: espn had lions at 98.3% win probability after peterson broke a run to bears 35 w/ 6 minutes left up 10
2018C3
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by 2018C3 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:50 am

Yikes, the news just said this was the first bears season opener win in 7 years, Is that true?

What a great game! Hopefully they build some momentum.

With how little games get played in the NFL, each win is critical.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Post#18 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:39 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:-Pass rush looked bad, Mack looked bad.

1. Mack is injured. He was NOT 100% today. Plus he was held several times doing the game, usually by two or three guys.
2. Quinn did not play. Hicks played very little. Goldman opted out. Danny T. looked old and slow. Mack did not exactly have the best of help today, so I would cut him slack. It's always reason why I really want the Bears to bring in Snacks Harriosn to replace Goldman.

Mooney and Johnson BOTH look real good and could be players. something to watch.

ATP the only way for the Bears to constantly get the best out of Trubisky is for Nagy to run basically to run the 2 minute drill every time Biscuit is on the field.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:54 pm

dice wrote:the robinson one certainly wasn't egregious. he didn't complain much if any. looked worse live than on replay. and i don't recall many outright drops by bears receivers other than the first throw to jimmy graham. nor do i remember the PI call you're referring to (appears to be an 11 yarder on buster skrine in 3rd quarter on a 1st and 10 - not exactly game changing)

i also left out the lions losing their star linebacker early due to touching the ref

unrelated: espn had lions at 98.3% win probability after peterson broke a run to bears 35 w/ 6 minutes left up 10

Robinson also had a drop on a long pass near the end zone that hit him in the hands in addition to the Graham drop. The PI call was probably the one you are referring to. I must have had the down wrong in my head, for some reason I thought it was a 3rd down PI call.

I agree the PI on Robinson in the endzone wasn't egregious but it was definitely worse than the one they had just called 2 minutes ago on the other end where the Bears made contact after the ball was there and were legitimately going for the ball and had an angle on the ball that was probably better than the receivers angle. I remember thinking live that it probably should have been a no call, but you could have easily called it offensive interference.

Either way, I thought those were more or less similar swings to the plays you mentioned. This didn't really feel like a game where the Bears were getting killed all game and then had a couple lucky big plays except perhaps the interception. The Bears were moving the ball effectively both in the ground and in the air between the 20s for most of the game and had some key drops that stopped them from scoring touch downs.

I'm not psyched about the win or anything, I expect the Lions to be awful this year, and there was some luck that went there way at point, but I didn't feel it was disproportionate luck. They had some key plays that they absolutely should have made, just like the Lions did. Both teams are pretty bad and failed in key situations to give their opponent chances.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#20 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:56 pm

Susan wrote:How do you guys feel about the defense? I wasn't really impressed with them but I have faith that they'll be able to figure it out just based on the talent and coaching. Quinn would be a clear huge boost to the pass rush that we can hope pans out.

The pass rush looked really poor. They rarely had pressure on Stafford. Hopefully Quinn can come back soon and hopefully Mack was at less than 100% and is better next game. I was hoping the Bears would have a dominant pass rush and haven't given up on that yet, but it definitely wasn't on display yesterday.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls