ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME 6 Western Semis: NOTE TIME--10 AM Pacific ESPN

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Re: GAME 6 Western Semis: NOTE TIME--10 AM Pacific ESPN 

Post#341 » by nickhx2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:16 am

og15 wrote:Can't blame the refs here, for some reason the team decided that hacking was defense in the 3rd. They hacked a lot and payed for it, don't hack, don't get fouls, and they weren't attacking much at that time, so they didn't get anything.

As a coach you have to be willing to change things up based on matchups, eg: Lakers no McGee and Howard vs Houston.

1) Beverley stop fouling 2) Lou in to see if he's feeling it, if not, Reggie goes in 3) Zubac in whenever Jokic is in up to 32 minutes 4) Green in place of Harrell and place pace and space with those lineups.

really wish patrick patterson got more burn over the course of the season. i think he could actually do something here.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,418

Post#342 » by TrueLAfan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:21 am

Yeah, it's not the refs. It's the whole team. Emphasis on team. We don't play like we're together.

I was kind of astounded that PG had 33 (and, as my friend pointed out, he also had six in the fourth). He had a quiet 33, and that's not good. The thing is, when he was in with bench players, they played hero ball. He took 21 shots to get the 33.

Trezz is just wounding us out there. I don't pretend to know what wrong, and I'm tired of caring about it. He just can't play out there.

But he's not the biggest issue. It's the same thing as the last series. Jokic is a great player; I'm okay with him and Murray combining for 55. But, for f&%$ sake, Gary Harris. Torrey Craig, and Monte Morris had 33 points on 12-22 shooting. Meanwhile, three of our starters plus our first guy off of the bench combined for 10 points on 3-13 shooting. Like Is aid, our problem isn't the best players on the Nugs going off; it's three other guys stepping up, while Sham, Marcus, PatBev, and Trezz are sleepwalking.

Is this on Doc? I'm not a Doc hater; I think he's a good coach. I think he's a good coach because he's a players coach; that's his rep, and he lives or dies with that. Right now, our players are not prepared. This is not a rotations issue. Nobody has the depth to overcome this many players that are playing tentatively or not at all. Sham is a waste of space. So is Trezz for the most part. Lou has been lousy more games than not. Bev is hurt or something, but he's not himself. He looks unready. If you add Marcus to that list--and Marcus was invisible today--that's half of our team minutes. PG had 16 in the second half; Kawhi had 11. The rest of the team had 8 points. We got outscored by 29 in the second half. Bringing in Reggie or having Zu play five minutes more isn't the problem (Zu played almost 9 minutes in the third, and we got walloped all over the the place.) We have too many people that are not showing up. And, yeah, some of that has to be on Doc. Has to be.

I really do think we'll win Game 7, but I'm (fast) losing hope for the season. We don't play together, we don't seem motivated. Our stars are showing up; PG and Kawhi are average 50-15-10 on high efficiency for the series. The problem is the rest of the team; we're getting one or two decent games out of the other 7 rotation guys, and that's not going to cut it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#343 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 am

Are we not giving the Nuggets defense credit btw? I thought both second halves their defense picked up.

We can say it's the offense but their rotations are on point, good close outs/ running guys off the 3 point line etc. etc.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,235

Post#344 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:20 am

I’m calling it. George has a bad shooting game, Denver takes the lead going to 4th but starts playing not to lose. Lou Will gets hot, Clips tighten the defense, Kawhi with dagger pull ups, Clips win.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,802

Post#345 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, it's not the refs. It's the whole team. Emphasis on team. We don't play like we're together.

I was kind of astounded that PG had 33 (and, as my friend pointed out, he also had six in the fourth). He had a quiet 33, and that's not good. The thing is, when he was in with bench players, they played hero ball. He took 21 shots to get the 33.

Trezz is just wounding us out there. I don't pretend to know what wrong, and I'm tired of caring about it. He just can't play out there.

But he's not the biggest issue. It's the same thing as the last series. Jokic is a great player; I'm okay with him and Murray combining for 55. But, for f&%$ sake, Gary Harris. Torrey Craig, and Monte Morris had 33 points on 12-22 shooting. Meanwhile, three of our starters plus our first guy off of the bench combined for 10 points on 3-13 shooting. Like Is aid, our problem isn't the best players on the Nugs going off; it's three other guys stepping up, while Sham, Marcus, PatBev, and Trezz are sleepwalking.

Is this on Doc? I'm not a Doc hater; I think he's a good coach. I think he's a good coach because he's a players coach; that's his rep, and he lives or dies with that. Right now, our players are not prepared. This is not a rotations issue. Nobody has the depth to overcome this many players that are playing tentatively or not at all. Sham is a waste of space. So is Trezz for the most part. Lou has been lousy more games than not. Bev is hurt or something, but he's not himself. He looks unready. If you add Marcus to that list--and Marcus was invisible today--that's half of our team minutes. PG had 16 in the second half; Kawhi had 11. The rest of the team had 8 points. We got outscored by 29 in the second half. Bringing in Reggie or having Zu play five minutes more isn't the problem (Zu played almost 9 minutes in the third, and we got walloped all over the the place.) We have too many people that are not showing up. And, yeah, some of that has to be on Doc. Has to be.

I really do think we'll win Game 7, but I'm (fast) losing hope for the season. We don't play together, we don't seem motivated. Our stars are showing up; PG and Kawhi are average 50-15-10 on high efficiency for the series. The problem is the rest of the team; we're getting one or two decent games out of the other 7 rotation guys, and that's not going to cut it.

Spot-on, bro. It makes people angry to try to make a rational explanation, but basically Doc's thinking has been that if we don't get the old Trezz back, we have zero chance against the Lakers anyway. So he burned Game 5 and and 15 minutes of Game 6 trying to get Trezz back in form before facing the Lakers.

Of course now that it's Game 7, you play desperate and hope to win it somehow, down and dirty, whatever it takes, and that means without Trezz [we hope]. But it's simplistic to put all the blame on him, as if only we'd given his 15 minutes to somebody [anybody] else we'd have won. No, we wouldn't have.

Everybody else sucked too, as TrueLA's post delineates above. Zu was a sterling plus+23 at the half but was minus-12 in the 2nd half--as often happens when he gets into extended minutes. His second 15 minutes are never as good as his first 15, which is why Doc is always casting about for an alternative. And Doc tried to give Trezz a quick hook during the Nugs run and had Zu at the scorer's table, but Joker hit a couple of 3s before the next stoppage of play.

Has Doc guessed wrong? Sure, its easy to say so in hindsight. Would another course of action have been successful? We shall never know. But never think you see anything the rest of us so-called "apologists" don't see.

I also agree with TrueLA that even if we pull out Game 7, our prospects vs the fLakers look dim. Plan A, of playing Bron and Brow even and having the deepest squad in the league clean up the rest, is in tatters. Trezz is not coming back, and there is nobody to pick up for him.

Play desperate and roll the dice.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#346 » by donemilio21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:05 am

esqtvd wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, it's not the refs. It's the whole team. Emphasis on team. We don't play like we're together.

Spot-on, bro. It makes people angry to try to make a rational explanation, but basically Doc's thinking has been that if we don't get the old Trezz back, we have zero chance against the Lakers anyway. So he burned Game 5 and and 15 minutes of Game 6 trying to get Trezz back in form before facing the Lakers.

Of course now that it's Game 7, you play desperate and hope to win it somehow, down and dirty, whatever it takes, and that means without Trezz [we hope]. But it's simplistic to put all the blame on him, as if only we'd given his 15 minutes to somebody [anybody] else we'd have won. No, we wouldn't have.

Everybody else sucked too, as TrueLA's post delineates above. Zu was a sterling plus+23 at the half but was minus-12 in the 2nd half--as often happens when he gets into extended minutes. His second 15 minutes are never as good as his first 15, which is why Doc is always casting about for an alternative. And Doc tried to give Trezz a quick hook during the Nugs run and had Zu at the scorer's table, but Joker hit a couple of 3s before the next stoppage of play.

Has Doc guessed wrong? Sure, its easy to say so in hindsight. Would another course of action have been successful? We shall never know. But never think you see anything the rest of us so-called "apologists" don't see.

I also agree with TrueLA that even if we pull out Game 7, our prospects vs the fLakers look dim. Plan A, of playing Bron and Brow even and having the deepest squad in the league clean up the rest, is in tatters. Trezz is not coming back, and there is nobody to pick up for him.

Doc is unprepared and has no clue what to do. "Players Coach" narrative does not apply when you are the highest paid coach in the NBA. this is not baseball, there is a whole a lot more to it than just making a line up and saying a few words. He is out there repeating the same stuff over and over without actually giving any tactics at all. All tactics, defensive schemes and play calling are done by Rex and Tyron. Doc is a waste of space and money and is not a capable coach. You can't think of the next series without winning what is in front of you first.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#347 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 am

The league won't let Denver win game 7. Too much money to be made from an all LA WCF imo. We've seen it before w Lakers being handed a victory over Sacramento and many other examples.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#348 » by LamarWho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 am

People always talk about our depth, but don't forget how deep Denver is. Yes they don't have 6MoY on their roster, but there are plenty of players that can hurt you every night. Gary Harris was a 15+ppg player before injuries, Monte Morris and Porter can score in double figures easily every given night. Jerami Grant imo, one of the best complementary player you can have next to your allstars. Will Barton, a key rotational player, is not even in the bubble.

They have zero fear of us at this point, they could care less if we got a two time finals MVP. Like Jokic said, all pressure on us in G7.
donemilio21
Veteran
And1: 761

Post#349 » by donemilio21 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 am

for whatever reason oddmakers still think we are favorites to win game 7. Denver moneyline is +240. That is a ridiculous easy money for those who have been watching this series. I obviously want Clippers to win, but putting $200 on Denver.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#350 » by mttwlsn16 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:09 am

Read on Twitter

No bueno
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#351 » by nickhx2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:16 am

you mean SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR MONTREZ HARRELL didn't score a SINGLE POINT????

but he's the SIXTH MAN OF THE YEAR
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#352 » by playaloc916 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:The league won't let Denver win game 7. Too much money to be made from an all LA WCF imo. We've seen it before w Lakers being handed a victory over Sacramento and many other examples.

I've been thinking this as well. I can see the refs calling the game in favor of the Clips. There's so many storylines with an LA vs LA WCF. As much as Denver has earned the shot at the WCF, I think most people want to see Kawhi/PG vs LeBron/AD instead of Murray/Jokic vs LeBron/AD.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#353 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:34 am

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Doc is unprepared and has no clue what to do. "Players Coach" narrative does not apply when you are the highest paid coach in the NBA. this is not baseball, there is a whole a lot more to it than just making a line up and saying a few words. He is out there repeating the same stuff over and over without actually giving any tactics at all. All tactics, defensive schemes and play calling are done by Rex and Tyron. Doc is a waste of space and money and is not a capable coach. You can't think of the next series without winning what is in front of you first.

Unresponsive to what either of us wrote. We already have full-time trolls shouting us down and ranting on Doc, bro. 50 per thread. Easy. :lol:

My post was on strategy, not tactics. Completely different angle. The big picture.

It makes people angry to try to make a rational explanation, but basically Doc's thinking has been that if we don't get the old Trezz back, we have zero chance against the Lakers anyway. So he burned Game 5 and and 15 minutes of Game 6 trying to get Trezz back in form before facing the Lakers.

Give it another shot ;-D

On second thought, please don't. There is no strategy now, only tactics. Only if we can win this battle can we win the war.

Of course now that it's Game 7, you play desperate and hope to win it somehow, down and dirty, whatever it takes
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#354 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:39 am

esqtvd wrote:

Regular season aint important, playoffs are.
Dallas aint important, the next round is.
Game 5 aint important, the Lakers are.

This team’s mentality is off.
Never present.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#355 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:48 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Regular season aint important, playoffs are.
Dallas aint important, the next round is.
Game 5 aint important, the Lakers are.

This team’s mentality is off.
Never present.

Not disagreeing, bruh. Never disagreed. Just saying that it traces back from Trezz. [Not from Bev. who I think you're right about--the rah-rah s&^%.] Our resident geniuses might be right that his game is unsuitable for the playoffs but MONSTATREZZ was our X-Factor and now we ain't got one.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 863

Post#356 » by NickP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:49 am

I say this again that I feel something wrong with Lou. Like he's missing on purpose. Something's amiss. He's blowing layups he makes in his sleep. I hope he's not into some silly betting stuff.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#357 » by Clemenza » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 am

esqtvd wrote:

The thing is Trez should have better games against the Lakers anyway as opposed to Denver. Javale Magee and DHoward can't shoot threes and aren't big offensive threats. AD plays like a small forward- facing the basket and makes his move quicker on whether to pull up for a jumper or take it to the rim. Jokic is the worst matchup for the undersized Trez cause he can kill you from anywhere on the court. Inside, outside, midrange, post up, hook shot, long three ball.

But it seems like even Doc is lost right now. When he brought in Reggie Jackson, who was out of the rotation, and sat Lou Will down that told you right there he's grasping at straws and scrambling to find something that works.
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#358 » by MartinRiggs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 am

I think we match great with the Lakers. LeBron can be guarded by Kawhi or PG,and Davis does not have 3PT shoot like Jokić. So i still believe,just get by this Denver team.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,624

Post#359 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:18 am

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 956

Post#360 » by clipperlover » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 am

People underestimated Denver a good defensie team that is young and inexperienced. They are going to be a forceto be reckoned with next year once MPJr is fully integrated. We are going to close them out, but can't take them for granted. They have been playing from behind all playoffs, we have not been in tht siuation yet, so I expect us to respond and respond forcefully.

Everything hinges on PB. We still had a 15 PT lead when PB left the game. We need PB on the floor, but he has to play smarter. He picked up his 3rd foul late in the 1st half. So, then he picks up 4 and 5 in the 3rd. When he goes out, we are down a defender and that makes it harder to rest PG and Kawhi.

I could give a rat's @$$ about Doc. Yes, he is an overachiever, but he isn't the one on the court making the mistakes. Doc doesn't tell Kawhi, PG and Beverley to hit the ground for loose balls. Those guys just do it. We need the other players on the court to bring the same effort.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers