ImageImageImageImageImage

Pascal We Love You

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

redeye514
Analyst
And1: 4,791

Re: Pascal We Love You 

Post#21 » by redeye514 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 pm

Pascal stunk offensively this playoffs, no doubt. But listening to some of these Pascal takes has been downright sad... I'm a day 1 fan and some of ya'll make it really embarrassing to be a Raps fan. Siakam is one of the greatest stories our franchise has ever had, key part of a championship ring, 1st MIP, etc etc, and soo many people are ripping this guy to shreds.

Crazy how 1 ring makes fans feel so entitled. Real real sad... the worst part is that the lack of perspective and patience is not that surprising. It really does speak to a generation of entitlement in my opinion...
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,690

Post#22 » by Basketball_Jones » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:28 pm

I do like what Lowry said, comparing his early playoff woes. The numbers are arguably just as bad. He didn’t shoot his team out of the game the way Pascal did though, he dialed it back and took less shots. Pascal needs to really learn this.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#23 » by Def Leppard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Improvement is not always linear

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
BD006
Veteran
And1: 520

Post#24 » by BD006 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Pascal, sky is still the limit but...

Thing to work on:
- Handles
- Jumper/3 pointers
- Make quicker decisions, your passes are easy to telegraph
- When finishing close to the rim, dunk it! Not these soft lay-ups... look for contact

I don't understand Pascal and OG's allergy to dunking in the paint... they're clearly athletic enough
ac1011990
Junior
And1: 986

Post#25 » by ac1011990 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:54 pm

I’m kind of worried about how his horrendous playoff performance is going to affect him mentally in the next playoffs. I think he’s going to come back stronger next regular season but I’m not sure about the next playoffs. The playoffs are where a lot of stars fold, especially if they don’t have the luxury of a Kawhi carrying them through games till they find themselves (looking at you playoff p). This playoff performance wasn’t just a guy being defended well, it was Pascal totally forgetting everything he’s ever done basketball wise. The guy couldn’t dribble, he couldn’t pass, he couldn’t shoot, he couldn’t get past defenders, he couldn’t even stop himself from pushing guys who were mid air trying to dunk. I liked his post game presser, where he acknowledged he needed to be much better and I think he’s a guy who will get through this.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#26 » by ItsDanger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

Don't overanalyze everything. If Siakam shoots 33% on open 3's in this series, we probably win. They weren't doing anything special against him on the 3 pt line. Coming out so flat after the boycott in game 1 cost us. That wasn't the only factor but it was pretty obvious the focus wasn't there.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Tustari
Junior
And1: 320

Post#27 » by Tustari » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 pm

I understand 3 point shooting is the big thing these days. But not everyone can be Steph or Klay. Nor should they try to be. Pascal is the furthest thing from those two guys. He is simply not a 3 point shooter. He should be taking 3 or 4 3’s maximum a game. Going 2 for 13 from 3 is criminal in the playoffs because of the scoring chances that are lost as a result. Pascal needs to become more efficient by focusing on midrange jumpers, post-up moves on smaller, weaker opponents, and moves to the basket. Hopefully he has the mental fortitude to rebound from his horrific performances but I have my doubts
nestea
Veteran
And1: 1,773

Post#28 » by nestea » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Ackshun wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Get those threes up this fall my guy!

And his handles. And half court shot IQ.

He'll get there

No way he fixed all 3. Ain't gonna happen.
Im an Optomist, not an optometrist!
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,311

Post#29 » by oldncreaky » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Westside Gunn wrote:Pascal wouldnt have survived for a season in Jordans era. Please dont make that comparison again.

The problem is, PFs other than Dirk will never win you anything, and Pascal is too flawed to begin with. Awkward handles, no mid range, avoiding contact in the paint, no long range, and now with defenses all over him, a turnover machine.

I think he will stuff the stat sheet during the season, but going forward he should not be the guy leading your team.

Masai kind messed him up by paying him like a star, which will bring all kinds of expectations on the guy. Im willing to admit I was wrong like I was about Gasol, but I dont think he lives up to his contract.

Pascal would have been fine in the 80s/90s NBA -- just not as a PF, more likely a SF or SG. Hustle and defence always got people on the court.

I'm not too worried about Pascal. I agree with Kyle's take, that PS will work and improve and be better for it. I've been watching the NBA for 45 years, and I have trouble thinking of many players who improved so much, so quickly, in their first 4 years from "why was he drafted" to all-star.. The Greek Freak, for sure; Rodman with Detroit; Robert Pack with Portland. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them. Anyway you cut it, it is a very short list.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
KrazyP
General Manager
And1: 5,425

Post#30 » by KrazyP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:45 pm

Extroverts thrive on social interaction. Introverts gain energy through solitude.

On the introvert/extrovert scale, Pascal is an extreme extrovert. With this in mind, the COVID-19 related social isolation pre-bubble and during the bubble probably did impact him more than other players.

He's certainly not 1st option material but this years team as constructed didnt even need him to be a 1st option. If he just had 1 good game offensively, that could have tipped the Celtics series in our favour. I think he was mentally broken and will bounce back next year.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#31 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:I do like what Lowry said, comparing his early playoff woes. The numbers are arguably just as bad. He didn’t shoot his team out of the game the way Pascal did though, he dialed it back and took less shots. Pascal needs to really learn this.

He took 3 fewer shots a game than what he averaged in the regular season. Lowry against Washington didn't scale back his shots, and the following year increased his FGA in the playoffs. I think you're wrong on this point. In game 7 he only took 12 shots, went 5/12. Maybe he should have shot more.
cjx
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,454

Post#32 » by cjx » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:07 pm

I love and appreciate Pascal Siakam! He will come back with better skills next season, guaranteed!
Take a couple of minutes and check out this comic book, my friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/574101710/the-assemblage-issue-1a-courage-and-no-more-crises
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#33 » by visionquest » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:24 pm

I have no personal issue with Pascal stinking it up on an international stage.

For me, Pascal just didnt have it and Nurse rode him into the jaws of defeat.

Still love him as a person but let's not obscure what happened.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,328

Post#34 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:30 pm

Lowry had a TS% under .400 against Washington. Players can recover from a bad playoff.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#35 » by PT416 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:00 pm

There's a difference between emotional and ungrateful. I get that some fans might be spoiled or entitled that they didn't win again this year, but some of us are just emotional at the fact that we came so close and not ready to sing kumbaya with the rest of you just yet. It's just the emotional process for some of us. Not saying it's life or death but it still stings.

Also when it comes to Siakam, it's just if he even came a little closer to his true self we would've won this series and probably make the finals. So when we're in the angry phase of it, it's easy to be mad at him.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,332

Post#36 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:16 pm

redraptor77 wrote:Pascal keeping working.
Without Pascal we don't win the Championship.
Without Pascal we don't get to be the third best record in the NBA this year.
Prior to the shut down he was having a darn good year. He was struggling for a bit but the last few games
before the initial shutdown he was turning it back around. Out of the last ten games he had 8 great games.
He had a rough spot during a very weird and crazy year. He has the natural talent. Remember he has only
been playing organized Ball for 8 years... think about that.
He might not be a Jordan - but we can count on one hand who even comes close to that discussion.
The team is all heart and grit. Siakam has the ability he just needs to get his rhythm back.
Fred will resign and then Ujiri will do his thing to get us back to the finals...

This is one of the most compelling facts about Pascal's regular-season impact.

(We were actually second this year)
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#37 » by gp2015 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:21 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Westside Gunn wrote:Pascal wouldnt have survived for a season in Jordans era. Please dont make that comparison again.

The problem is, PFs other than Dirk will never win you anything, and Pascal is too flawed to begin with. Awkward handles, no mid range, avoiding contact in the paint, no long range, and now with defenses all over him, a turnover machine.

I think he will stuff the stat sheet during the season, but going forward he should not be the guy leading your team.

Masai kind messed him up by paying him like a star, which will bring all kinds of expectations on the guy. Im willing to admit I was wrong like I was about Gasol, but I dont think he lives up to his contract.
Paying him like a star means paying him like a top 3 player on a championship team, which he is.

He was always going to get a max deal. If it wasn't from Toronto, it would be from another team.

Championship teams have 2-3 max players and Siakam showed last year he can be a #2 guy on a championship team.

If only top 10 players got max deals, then he'd be overpaid, but that's obviously not the case.

I agree that after last season, there would have been multiple teams ready to sign him to a max deal but let's say Masai waited to sign him to the extension. Do you think any teams would sign him to the max right now?

I'm a bit skeptical after how he looked in the playoffs.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#38 » by StopitLeo » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:23 pm

He's still on an upward trajectory with a lot of potential. I have no doubt he comes back even better next year. It's almost a given with his worth ethic and where he is with his skill development.

Anyone complaining about his contract should remember that he only made $2.3M this year.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,328

Post#39 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:30 pm

gp2015 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Paying him like a star means paying him like a top 3 player on a championship team, which he is.

He was always going to get a max deal. If it wasn't from Toronto, it would be from another team.

Championship teams have 2-3 max players and Siakam showed last year he can be a #2 guy on a championship team.

If only top 10 players got max deals, then he'd be overpaid, but that's obviously not the case.

I agree that after last season, there would have been multiple teams ready to sign him to a max deal but let's say Masai waited to sign him to the extension. Do you think any teams would sign him to the max right now?

Unless AD opted out, he would've been the most desirable FA available this offseason and he'd get maxed out on day 1.
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Post#40 » by gp2015 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:38 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
gp2015 wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:Paying him like a star means paying him like a top 3 player on a championship team, which he is.

Unless AD opted out, he would've been the most desirable FA available this offseason and he'd get maxed out on day 1.

I don't think it's as clear cut as you make it out to be after these playoffs. Ingram would be in that conversation as well.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams

Return to Toronto Raptors