ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME 6 Western Semis: NOTE TIME--10 AM Pacific ESPN

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Re: GAME 6 Western Semis: NOTE TIME--10 AM Pacific ESPN 

Post#361 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 am

NickP wrote:I say this again that I feel something wrong with Lou. Like he's missing on purpose. Something's amiss. He's blowing layups he makes in his sleep. I hope he's not into some silly betting stuff.

Not hitting his 3s but otherwise Lou is being Lou--and by most accounts playing much better D, so I dunno

Code: Select all

GP   MIN   FG%   3P%   FT%   REB   AST   BLK   STL   PF   TO   PTS
65   28.7   41.8   35.2   86.1   3.1   5.6   0.2   0.7   1.2   2.8   18.2
11   26.5   43.5   22.2   79.4   3.2   4.4   0.2   0.6   1.5   1.8   13.2
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#362 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:The league won't let Denver win game 7. Too much money to be made from an all LA WCF imo. We've seen it before w Lakers being handed a victory over Sacramento and many other examples.

I can get behind a conspiracy in our favor. Although the logical conclusion is Lakers vs Celtics.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#363 » by TucsonClip » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:46 am

Denver has done a good job on defense late the past few games and that has been the key. We can't settle for jumpers and pull ups all the time, even though Kawhi and PG have been money mid range. They need to draw fouls, create contact and put the Denver defense on their heels by getting easy points at the FT line. That makes the game a bit easier for the other guys who can't create vs a packed lane shooters being run off the 3PT line.

The defense also needs to play with the pride. The ebbs and flows are going to happen against that Denver offense, but being lazy, losing your assignments, screwing up coverages, over helping and fouling are going to kill us. Those things will happen, but there has to be accountability in order to limit them ALL from happening together. That means Pat can't foul out in 20 freaking minutes and PG and Kawhi are going to have to defend Jokic and Murray as much as physically possible. Same goes for Doc and Trez. You don't play defense, you don't get minutes in game 7. Doesn't matter if feelings are hurt.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#364 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 am

TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, it's not the refs. It's the whole team. Emphasis on team. We don't play like we're together.

I was kind of astounded that PG had 33 (and, as my friend pointed out, he also had six in the fourth). He had a quiet 33, and that's not good. The thing is, when he was in with bench players, they played hero ball. He took 21 shots to get the 33.

Trezz is just wounding us out there. I don't pretend to know what wrong, and I'm tired of caring about it. He just can't play out there.

But he's not the biggest issue. It's the same thing as the last series. Jokic is a great player; I'm okay with him and Murray combining for 55. But, for f&%$ sake, Gary Harris. Torrey Craig, and Monte Morris had 33 points on 12-22 shooting. Meanwhile, three of our starters plus our first guy off of the bench combined for 10 points on 3-13 shooting. Like Is aid, our problem isn't the best players on the Nugs going off; it's three other guys stepping up, while Sham, Marcus, PatBev, and Trezz are sleepwalking.

Is this on Doc? I'm not a Doc hater; I think he's a good coach. I think he's a good coach because he's a players coach; that's his rep, and he lives or dies with that. Right now, our players are not prepared. This is not a rotations issue. Nobody has the depth to overcome this many players that are playing tentatively or not at all. Sham is a waste of space. So is Trezz for the most part. Lou has been lousy more games than not. Bev is hurt or something, but he's not himself. He looks unready. If you add Marcus to that list--and Marcus was invisible today--that's half of our team minutes. PG had 16 in the second half; Kawhi had 11. The rest of the team had 8 points. We got outscored by 29 in the second half. Bringing in Reggie or having Zu play five minutes more isn't the problem (Zu played almost 9 minutes in the third, and we got walloped all over the the place.) We have too many people that are not showing up. And, yeah, some of that has to be on Doc. Has to be.

I really do think we'll win Game 7, but I'm (fast) losing hope for the season. We don't play together, we don't seem motivated. Our stars are showing up; PG and Kawhi are average 50-15-10 on high efficiency for the series. The problem is the rest of the team; we're getting one or two decent games out of the other 7 rotation guys, and that's not going to cut it.

This bolded part isn’t true though because in the Zubac while Zubac was on the floor the clippers scored 14 points in those 9 mins the Nuggets scored 19.

Not ideal but when a team has a 16 point lead and you only lose -5 in those minutes you take that every day. So any situation that Zu playing more isn’t recognized is missing how bad the drop off is doing all the little things with his replacements.

Clippers went 11 and 0 with him off the floor in the 3rd. He might not of helped score buckets (we seem to have forgot how to use the pick and roll) but it wasn’t bad as this on either end
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#365 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:24 am

esqtvd wrote:
TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, it's not the refs. It's the whole team. Emphasis on team. We don't play like we're together.

I was kind of astounded that PG had 33 (and, as my friend pointed out, he also had six in the fourth). He had a quiet 33, and that's not good. The thing is, when he was in with bench players, they played hero ball. He took 21 shots to get the 33.

Trezz is just wounding us out there. I don't pretend to know what wrong, and I'm tired of caring about it. He just can't play out there.

But he's not the biggest issue. It's the same thing as the last series. Jokic is a great player; I'm okay with him and Murray combining for 55. But, for f&%$ sake, Gary Harris. Torrey Craig, and Monte Morris had 33 points on 12-22 shooting. Meanwhile, three of our starters plus our first guy off of the bench combined for 10 points on 3-13 shooting. Like Is aid, our problem isn't the best players on the Nugs going off; it's three other guys stepping up, while Sham, Marcus, PatBev, and Trezz are sleepwalking.

Is this on Doc? I'm not a Doc hater; I think he's a good coach. I think he's a good coach because he's a players coach; that's his rep, and he lives or dies with that. Right now, our players are not prepared. This is not a rotations issue. Nobody has the depth to overcome this many players that are playing tentatively or not at all. Sham is a waste of space. So is Trezz for the most part. Lou has been lousy more games than not. Bev is hurt or something, but he's not himself. He looks unready. If you add Marcus to that list--and Marcus was invisible today--that's half of our team minutes. PG had 16 in the second half; Kawhi had 11. The rest of the team had 8 points. We got outscored by 29 in the second half. Bringing in Reggie or having Zu play five minutes more isn't the problem (Zu played almost 9 minutes in the third, and we got walloped all over the the place.) We have too many people that are not showing up. And, yeah, some of that has to be on Doc. Has to be.

I really do think we'll win Game 7, but I'm (fast) losing hope for the season. We don't play together, we don't seem motivated. Our stars are showing up; PG and Kawhi are average 50-15-10 on high efficiency for the series. The problem is the rest of the team; we're getting one or two decent games out of the other 7 rotation guys, and that's not going to cut it.

Spot-on, bro. It makes people angry to try to make a rational explanation, but basically Doc's thinking has been that if we don't get the old Trezz back, we have zero chance against the Lakers anyway. So he burned Game 5 and and 15 minutes of Game 6 trying to get Trezz back in form before facing the Lakers.

Of course now that it's Game 7, you play desperate and hope to win it somehow, down and dirty, whatever it takes, and that means without Trezz [we hope]. But it's simplistic to put all the blame on him, as if only we'd given his 15 minutes to somebody [anybody] else we'd have won. No, we wouldn't have.

Everybody else sucked too, as TrueLA's post delineates above. Zu was a sterling plus+23 at the half but was minus-12 in the 2nd half--as often happens when he gets into extended minutes. His second 15 minutes are never as good as his first 15, which is why Doc is always casting about for an alternative. And Doc tried to give Trezz a quick hook during the Nugs run and had Zu at the scorer's table, but Joker hit a couple of 3s before the next stoppage of play.

Has Doc guessed wrong? Sure, its easy to say so in hindsight. Would another course of action have been successful? We shall never know. But never think you see anything the rest of us so-called "apologists" don't see.

I also agree with TrueLA that even if we pull out Game 7, our prospects vs the fLakers look dim. Plan A, of playing Bron and Brow even and having the deepest squad in the league clean up the rest, is in tatters. Trezz is not coming back, and there is nobody to pick up for him.

Play desperate and roll the dice.

Again we went Nuggets went on a 11 to 0 run when Harrell came into the game. Not all his fault but it’s a repeated trend the post season about him being on the floor. Even with Zubac not getting the ball to go in with tips and missing two actual baskets the team was only -5 in his minutes.

Start the 4th quarter the Harrell squad was a -5 until 7:21 of the 4th quarter which like Zubac wouldn’t have been so bad if he didn’t have the 0-11 run during his time in the third. At this point you are minus 16 and we are down.

To recap the 2nd half

Zubac leaves the game up 12 (I’m counting the made free throw he was subbed out for)

Zubac comes back we are up 1 POINT

Harrell comes in we are up 2 points

Zubac comes back in to us being down 3

Green comes in we are down like 8 I think and it’s over

This is the playoffs and possessions matter and minutes matter and there’s a reason clippers twitter is harping on guys being detrimental to momentum and winning
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#366 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am

TucsonClip wrote:Denver has done a good job on defense late the past few games and that has been the key. We can't settle for jumpers and pull ups all the time, even though Kawhi and PG have been money mid range. They need to draw fouls, create contact and put the Denver defense on their heels by getting easy points at the FT line. That makes the game a bit easier for the other guys who can't create vs a packed lane shooters being run off the 3PT line.

The defense also needs to play with the pride. The ebbs and flows are going to happen against that Denver offense, but being lazy, losing your assignments, screwing up coverages, over helping and fouling are going to kill us. Those things will happen, but there has to be accountability in order to limit them ALL from happening together. That means Pat can't foul out in 20 freaking minutes and PG and Kawhi are going to have to defend Jokic and Murray as much as physically possible. Same goes for Doc and Trez. You don't play defense, you don't get minutes in game 7. Doesn't matter if feelings are hurt.

We are not using the pick and roll enough to cover dry spells and we can only run it with one unit. Whoever allowed Trez to go from pick and roll to isolation player needs to have a major sit down. The Lou and Trez 2 man game has been a thing of the past and I think a major part is because Trez trying to showcase his game in a contract year
MartinRiggs
Junior
And1: 136

Post#367 » by MartinRiggs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:46 am

Yeah,where is Lou & Trez pick and roll game? :-?

Trez will get less money now,he showcased absolutely nothing good,only bad things came up.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#368 » by TheNewEra » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 am

MartinRiggs wrote:Yeah,where is Lou & Trez pick and roll game? :-?

Trez will get less money now,he showcased absolutely nothing good,only bad things came up.

Not putting Jokic off balance and in isolation all the players have to do is be tall. Matters worse is if Trez doesn’t have the ball he’s not moving around to get shooters open like Zu off screens then going to the dunker spot to fight for a rebound or pass off. We run a handoff to start then it’s to the dunker spot or standing around pointing at stuff
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#369 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:32 am

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Spot-on, bro. It makes people angry to try to make a rational explanation, but basically Doc's thinking has been that if we don't get the old Trezz back, we have zero chance against the Lakers anyway. So he burned Game 5 and and 15 minutes of Game 6 trying to get Trezz back in form before facing the Lakers.

Of course now that it's Game 7, you play desperate and hope to win it somehow, down and dirty, whatever it takes, and that means without Trezz [we hope]. But it's simplistic to put all the blame on him, as if only we'd given his 15 minutes to somebody [anybody] else we'd have won. No, we wouldn't have.

Everybody else sucked too, as TrueLA's post delineates above. Zu was a sterling plus+23 at the half but was minus-12 in the 2nd half--as often happens when he gets into extended minutes. His second 15 minutes are never as good as his first 15, which is why Doc is always casting about for an alternative. And Doc tried to give Trezz a quick hook during the Nugs run and had Zu at the scorer's table, but Joker hit a couple of 3s before the next stoppage of play.

Has Doc guessed wrong? Sure, its easy to say so in hindsight. Would another course of action have been successful? We shall never know. But never think you see anything the rest of us so-called "apologists" don't see.

I also agree with TrueLA that even if we pull out Game 7, our prospects vs the fLakers look dim. Plan A, of playing Bron and Brow even and having the deepest squad in the league clean up the rest, is in tatters. Trezz is not coming back, and there is nobody to pick up for him.

Again we went Nuggets went on a 11 to 0 run when Harrell came into the game. Not all his fault but it’s a repeated trend the post season about him being on the floor. Even with Zubac not getting the ball to go in with tips and missing two actual baskets the team was only -5 in his minutes.

Start the 4th quarter the Harrell squad was a -5 until 7:21 of the 4th quarter which like Zubac wouldn’t have been so bad if he didn’t have the 0-11 run during his time in the third. At this point you are minus 16 and we are down.

To recap the 2nd half

Zubac leaves the game up 12 (I’m counting the made free throw he was subbed out for)

This is the playoffs and possessions matter and minutes matter and there’s a reason clippers twitter is harping on guys being detrimental to momentum and winning

Boom on possessions matter.

Out of a timeout, Denver puts in Jokic.
Dumb Doc leaves Trezz out there.

Boom. Jokic three.
Doc gets Zubac up.
Boom. Jokic three.

The attention to detail. The valuing of possessions. The valuing of the ball in general. It’s just not there with this team and its coach.

We are never present.
The next game is always the real one that matters.
We gotta get players ready (Trezz) because we may need him for a future series.

Meanwhile Clipper fans haven’t ever seen a CF in their lives and we’re having it yanked away for **** Laker Prep.

Gtfo.

You play to win the game. No ifs ands or buts
Particularly in the playoffs.
Earn your **** minutes. Not just rookies n young guys. All these MFs....particularly Trezz.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
NickP
Rookie
And1: 864

Post#370 » by NickP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:39 pm

This is what needs to happen. Kawhi and PG need to play 40 minutes each. Rest them together and play them together. When one of them goes out, the team as a whole starts ball watching. Try to play a lineup of Kawhi, Morris and PG for 40 minutes. Use Bev, Zu, Green, Reggie and Patterson. That should be the rotation.
Doc has to do something different in this game if the Clippers have to advance.
I would bench Lou and Trez. Period. Lou is playing like he's on the Nuggets. I don't care what anyone says, some of those shots just look like they're missed on purpose. Even the half time buzzer beater surprised Lou. His look was not a happy one when he made the shot. It was puzzled. Of course it's my opinion. Maybe there's nothing there. But bench Lou and Trez. I'd rather lose with Green, Patterson and Reggie.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#371 » by clipperlover » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:08 pm

In Game 7, a combination of Kawhi, PG and PB need to be on the floor at all times. Also, a 7 game series is about adjustments and throwing something at your opponent for which they aren't prepared. Popovich used to toss in Matt Bonner as a starter to shake things up.

The move Doc needs to make, for at least a short time, is to play Zubac with Harrell. We had our comeback vs Denver a few years ago when Harrell and Boban played alongside each other. Force Millsap to stay with Harrell. Right now, we don't have anyone on the boards cleaning up the shots Harrell misses. Plus, Zubac is a good enough passer that he can find Harrell on cuts.
NickP
Rookie

Post#372 » by NickP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:29 pm

clipperlover wrote:In Game 7, a combination of Kawhi, PG and PB need to be on the floor at all times. Also, a 7 game series is about adjustments and throwing something at your opponent for which they aren't prepared. Popovich used to toss in Matt Bonner as a starter to shake things up.

The move Doc needs to make, for at least a short time, is to play Zubac with Harrell. We had our comeback vs Denver a few years ago when Harrell and Boban played alongside each other. Force Millsap to stay with Harrell. Right now, we don't have anyone on the boards cleaning up the shots Harrell misses. Plus, Zubac is a good enough passer that he can find Harrell on cuts.

Sorry but Zu and Trez together is a disaster.
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,041

Post#373 » by LamarWho » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:52 pm

It was pretty comical to see Glenn Fraud Rivers inserted Reggie Jackson in the 4th for one whopping minute, then tried the small ball lineup at the end when Jokic was smoking us. This tells me he's desperate because he's all about making zero in game adjustments.
NickP
Rookie

Post#374 » by NickP » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:59 pm

LamarWho wrote:It was pretty comical to see Glenn Fraud Rivers inserted Reggie Jackson in the 4th for one whopping minute, then tried the small ball lineup at the end when Jokic was smoking us. This tells me he's desperate because he's all about making zero in game adjustments.

Doc: You know I'm not a real Doctor
Me: And you're not a real coach either.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

lol 

Post#375 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 pm

Read on Twitter
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,162

Post#376 » by Scoundreldays » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:32 pm

After this weekend I have adjusted my expectations with this team for my sanity. I will just be happy if we just make it to the WCF. Anything else is a bonus.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#377 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:34 pm

When is the last time Landry Shamet took a shot this confidently in the playoffs?

Easy to fire away when you know what the end result of the series is gonna be.
Easy to fire away when nobody expects you to beat the Worriers.

Put an expectation or two in there though and see how someone acts.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#378 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

To recap the 2nd half

Asked and answered.

Zu was a sterling plus+23 at the half but was minus-12 in the 2nd half--as often happens when he gets into extended minutes. His second 15 minutes are never as good as his first 15, which is why Doc is always casting about for an alternative. And Doc tried to give Trezz a quick hook during the Nugs run and had Zu at the scorer's table, but Joker hit a couple of 3s before the next stoppage of play.

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#379 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 pm

NickP wrote:This is what needs to happen. Kawhi and PG need to play 40 minutes each. Rest them together and play them together. When one of them goes out, the team as a whole starts ball watching. Try to play a lineup of Kawhi, Morris and PG for 40 minutes. Use Bev, Zu, Green, Reggie and Patterson. That should be the rotation.
I would bench Lou and Trez. Period. Lou is playing like he's on the Nuggets. I don't care what anyone says, some of those shots just look like they're missed on purpose. Even the half time buzzer beater surprised Lou. His look was not a happy one when he made the shot. It was puzzled. Of course it's my opinion. Maybe there's nothing there. But bench Lou and Trez. I'd rather lose with Green, Patterson and Reggie.

There is no tomorrow if they lose, so I'd play Kawhi and PG13 44 minutes or more if I had to. If they build a lead and it looks like the bench is just giving it away in a span of like 2 minutes, I'd throw them back in immediately to stop the bleeding.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#380 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:02 pm

NickP wrote:This is what needs to happen. Kawhi and PG need to play 40 minutes each. Rest them together and play them together. When one of them goes out, the team as a whole starts ball watching. Try to play a lineup of Kawhi, Morris and PG for 40 minutes. Use Bev, Zu, Green, Reggie and Patterson. That should be the rotation.

I also don't understand what's up with Lou. He is missing point blank lay ups repeatedly. The problem is that once in a great while he goes off for 35 points- could be game 7- who knows?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers