ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1321 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:21 pm

Players I would be cool with at 14, in no particular order:

Saddiq Bey
Jahmius Ramsey
Devin Vassell
Kira Lewis
Jalen Smith
Isaac Okoro
Alexsej Pokusevski
Desmond Bane
Jalen Harris

Players I wouldn't draft until 26 or 30:

Devon Dotson
Immanuel Quickley

Players I think aren't going to be as good as everyone thinks they'll be:

James Wiseman
Obi Toppin
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Haliburton
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#1322 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:53 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Okay so your definition is extremely liberal and can apply to players anywhere from out of the league to players in their 3rd or 4th year. So basically highly subjective. I don't think I'll be effective arguing Anthony won't be a bust in this discussion because there way too many subjective variables in your definition. I'll just say I like Anthony at 14 and leave it there.

14?

You have the numbers back to front.

If we had the 41st pick I'd probably be okay with selecting him at 41.

I'm being serious.

He won't be there at 41. You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this. I don't have the numbers wrong. 14 is where I want him. You've made yourself clear. You don't like him. I get it. We disagree and that's okay. You totally have your right to your viewpoint obviously. I think it's far more likely we take him at 14 than him being available in the 2nd round so I'm okay with your dissenting opinion.

I understand the mocks have him 14-20. Taking him at 14 is sort of like spending a lot of money on some name brand product at some high end luxury store when you can just go to Target and get a similar product of similar quality for a fraction of the price.

I could be wrong, but I think he'll be a role player at best five years down the road. I think he is replaceable. Devon Dotson, Immanuel Quickley, or even Markus Howard could have similar or better careers than him, and even if they don't - there are lots of players in the NBA year after year that can be signed as free agents for cheap who can bring what Cole Anthony brings.

I'd be willing to take him if he's still there later in the draft at some point, take a flyer on him, but I don't think he's a special player. I think he's replaceable.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#1323 » by snowman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:04 am

I follow the Tarheels very closely. This year was a down year for them, but the lone bright spot for them was Anthony. I could see him as a Kemba replacement in a few years. He can def. score in so many ways. I would prefer Bey or Nesmith because of height, but man Anthony can shoot the rock. He has never met a shot he didn't like. Not sure about his assists though. He is more of a shooting guard, but does have great handles. Not sure how much he can get his teammates shots, and is a ball hog. In his defense, Carolina didn't have much else going for them, and he was the focal point of the other teams defense.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#1324 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
14?

You have the numbers back to front.

If we had the 41st pick I'd probably be okay with selecting him at 41.

I'm being serious.

He won't be there at 41. You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this. I don't have the numbers wrong. 14 is where I want him. You've made yourself clear. You don't like him. I get it. We disagree and that's okay. You totally have your right to your viewpoint obviously. I think it's far more likely we take him at 14 than him being available in the 2nd round so I'm okay with your dissenting opinion.

I understand the mocks have him 14-20. Taking him at 14 is sort of like spending a lot of money on some name brand product at some high end luxury store when you can just go to Target and get a similar product of similar quality for a fraction of the price.

I could be wrong, but I think he'll be a role player at best five years down the road. I think he is replaceable. Devon Dotson, Immanuel Quickley, or even Markus Howard could have similar or better careers than him, and even if they don't - there are lots of players in the NBA year after year that can be signed as free agents for cheap who can bring what Cole Anthony brings.

I'd be willing to take him if he's still there later in the draft at some point, take a flyer on him, but I don't think he's a special player. I think he's replaceable.

I get it. I think I feel the way about Saddiq Bey that you feel about Anthony. I could be talked into him I suppose and I get the allure but I see guys that could be just as good as him or better available at the end of the 1st round and into the 2nd. Lots of varying opinions about this draft.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#1325 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 am

playa-hater wrote:
31to6 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:*a side note. I want Boston to keep their 14th pick as I see some good value/talent there. I also wish Boston can try to consolidate their 26,30 and 2nd rder plus one of their recent picks (edwards?) and move up to the teens and get another talent that they really like. we/Boston doesn't need more quantity, we need more quality.

Good thought! I’ve been thinking “move up from 14” but I also like a lot of guys in the teens, so maybe we should just double our haul in that area of the draft.

All depends how it plays out and who our FO likes obviously.

I have thought about that trade up from 14 as well. Just not sure who in the top 10 would be worthy of that. Some say that next Bam player whose name I can't remember.

But who would you want in a trade up??

Okongwu is my draft binky and I would give up quite a bit to go get him in the top ten if at all possible (not expecting that it will be).

But if we consolidated to get a second pick in the teens instead I’d currently be happy with something like two of Precious, S. Bey, Lewis, or Sticks from Maryland — all based on a few hours of watching draft videos so I’m no expert but there seem to be useful role player types there and at 25 and 30 you’re into true crapshoot range.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#1326 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:13 pm

I'm shocked people itt are enamored with cole anthony. I mean, I was when he was a young prospect but he never grew, is older for his class, and doesn't seem to be the nuclear athlete that i had imagined coming out of ny. he is a bit of combo guard too a la edwards...

if ainge wants a pg he has to do everything he can to move into hayes' range, other than that I would still look at guys to mop up semi's minutes and provide some wing depth. Nesmith another guy i'm iffy on because he averages 1 assist per 100 possessions and his team was horrific (also coming off a foot injury).
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#1327 » by Homerclease » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:08 pm

If we can’t move up for Wiseman or Vassell then I’m content with a Patrick Williams and Jalen Smith draft. I still want to give Waters a shot with the main club next year so I’m fine not taking a PG this year and punting that down the road one more season
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#1328 » by snowman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:30 pm

I don't think any team is going to give up a 1st round pick in a "so-called" better draft down the road for a pick in this draft. I also don't want a draft and stash, because that worked out so well last time with Yabu and Zizic. Just pick all 3 picks, and then trade the end of the bench to make room. You can't tell me that anybody we pick, even with the 30th pick would not be better that Green, Poirier, and Semi.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#1329 » by 31to6 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:If we can’t move up for Wiseman or Vassell then I’m content with a Patrick Williams and Jalen Smith draft. I still want to give Waters a shot with the main club next year so I’m fine not taking a PG this year and punting that down the road one more season

I love Waters but his size is such an impediment that this does seem like a good draft to draft a successor to Wanamaker (if not Kemba) due to abundance of picks and prospects.

Getting more and more interested in Patrick Williams, he could be fun to add to what we’ve got.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1330 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:33 pm

snowman wrote:I don't think any team is going to give up a 1st round pick in a "so-called" better draft down the road for a pick in this draft. I also don't want a draft and stash, because that worked out so well last time with Yabu and Zizic. Just pick all 3 picks, and then trade the end of the bench to make room. You can't tell me that anybody we pick, even with the 30th pick would not be better that Green, Poirier, and Semi.

Like 20 teams don't look past the next year because the GM has no security, so I wouldn't be so sure. There is always some GM who falls in love with a player, just need it to be at one of the Celtics draft spots. Zizic worked out well. He's an emerging fringe starting C in the NBA and they took him at 23 in a crappy draft. They missed out on Siakam, Brogdon and then 35 other stiffs. If they get similar value from another stash, that's a win. And if they had taken Zubac at 23 instead as a stash, that would have been an even bigger win.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#1331 » by playa-hater » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 pm

David Locke
@Lockedonsports
If Clippers advance this should be the storyline on trends in the game

All 20+ pts per game scorers

Jayson Tatum 6'8 210
Jaylen Brown 6'6 223
Jimmy Butler 6'7 220
LeBron 6'9 250
AD 6'10 253
Kawhi 6'7 225
Paul George 6'8 220

The exception
Goran Dragic 6'3 190
11:13 PM · Sep 12, 2020

case dismissed .. we're getting a wing 8-)
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1332 » by sam_I_am » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:36 am

31to6 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:If we can’t move up for Wiseman or Vassell then I’m content with a Patrick Williams and Jalen Smith draft. I still want to give Waters a shot with the main club next year so I’m fine not taking a PG this year and punting that down the road one more season

I love Waters but his size is such an impediment that this does seem like a good draft to draft a successor to Wanamaker (if not Kemba) due to abundance of picks and prospects.

Getting more and more interested in Patrick Williams, he could be fun to add to what we’ve got.

If we draft Van Fleet and Norman Powell types next year instead of a big would that really be a problem? Whoever we draft.....if they can score and ball.....I am happy.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#1333 » by winsomme2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 am

31to6 wrote:

I would be extremely pleased with Patrick Williams as well but I think he's gonna be gone at 14. Someone is going to take a flier on him. They'd be crazy not to. I'm thinking San Antonio.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#1334 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:53 pm

winsomme2 wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I would be extremely pleased with Patrick Williams as well but I think he's gonna be gone at 14. Someone is going to take a flier on him. They'd be crazy not to. I'm thinking San Antonio.

I'm thinking Washington. He'd be terrific next to Rui I think. Interchangeable at the 3/4
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,953

Post#1335 » by leper-con » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:51 pm

I expect us to do a lot better than last year bag of trash. Those are my only hopes.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#1336 » by Dogen » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:20 pm

31to6 wrote:

Must admit I have not considered Waters much and have been thinking primarily of drafting basically what I thought we’d get last year in Herro, a wing player with quick shot release and some good ball handling and passing skills to come in off the bench.

The verdict is still out on Waters, I just haven’t seen enough and although he’s a tenacious defender and intelligent playmaker, his quickness hasn’t overcome the lack of size. Seems this is the year to upgrade as there will be several good options at 14.

If Danny goes with Williams (the third!) I won’t be upset at that. Seems like a high upside pick and a good fit. If there are some good clips of his shooting I’d like to see more, as it could be a tough decision if, say, Bey, Vassell or Nesmith are there and may be a little more ready to contribute on the offensive end.
Hey you! Can we come together?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1337 » by captain green » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Well after looking at the stats of all rookies we struck out big time. We can't afford to do that 2 years in a row. However stating that this draft looks even worse and it won't be easy. Precious is my dude so far I'd like to see the combine before I know for sure. I would not be opposed to moving out for future assets to keep the pond fresh
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#1338 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:09 pm

This draft class may end up being 2006 bad. So should be easier to move up and unload a vet like Hayward (if he opts in) for a rookie on a cost controlled contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got all the way up to the Warriors pick.

Rumors about them wanting to draft a wing. Avdija perhaps? That guy is going to be a huge bust, worse than Bender bust.

I dont actually think the GSW are that dumb to draft him but its a signal they want out of this crap draft or go way down.

Hayward, 14, one of the late firsts for 2.

Havent checked if they have to send out money or if they got caproom but whatever...
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1339 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:39 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:This draft class may end up being 2006 bad. So should be easier to move up and unload a vet like Hayward (if he opts in) for a rookie on a cost controlled contract.

Rumors about them wanting to draft a wing. Avdija perhaps? That guy is going to be a huge bust, worse than Bender bust.

I dont actually think the GSW are that dumb to draft him but its a signal they want out of this crap draft or go way down.

Havent checked if they have to send out money or if they got caproom but whatever...

but we'd have to take on Wiggins for salary. Not sure they would do it, and sure we won't. Not sure who we would take at 2. Ball?
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,313

Post#1340 » by Homerclease » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:03 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
BillTheGOAT wrote:This draft class may end up being 2006 bad. So should be easier to move up and unload a vet like Hayward (if he opts in) for a rookie on a cost controlled contract.

but we'd have to take on Wiggins for salary. Not sure they would do it, and sure we won't. Not sure who we would take at 2. Ball?

Wiseman. Only way I’d move Hayward too would be the chance to move up for him. I’d be willing to eat Wiggins deal to do it too

Return to Boston Celtics