ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,236

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2501 » by PhilBlackson » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:42 am

Personally I want us to draft McDaniels first but I do get the feeling if he’s still on the board it will be Maledon which I won’t be mad about at all as he would be my second choice.

I think it because we already seen Masai draft Delon, he apparently was trying to find a way to get in the draft to get SGA and they’re already trying to mold Davis into a hybrid guard as the aforementioned names are. Maledon fits that mold of another ball handler and facilitator that clearly Nurse likes to have n with Kyle obviously winding down they’ll need to find another. He’s added height obviously is of great benefit to in order to handle switches.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#2502 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:12 am

PhilBlackson wrote:Personally I want us to draft McDaniels first but I do get the feeling if he’s still on the board it will be Maledon which I won’t be mad about at all as he would be my second choice.

I think it because we already seen Masai draft Delon, he apparently was trying to find a way to get in the draft to get SGA and they’re already trying to mold Davis into a hybrid guard as the aforementioned names are. Maledon fits that mold of another ball handler and facilitator that clearly Nurse likes to have n with Kyle obviously winding down they’ll need to find another. He’s added height obviously is of great benefit to in order to handle switches.

Ya, I think down the road Maledon would be the main ball-handler.

PG Maledon - TD
SG TD - Thomas
SF OG
PF Siakam
C
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2503 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:40 am

Psubs wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Personally I want us to draft McDaniels first but I do get the feeling if he’s still on the board it will be Maledon which I won’t be mad about at all as he would be my second choice.

PG Maledon - TD
SG TD - Thomas
SF OG
PF Siakam
C

You don’t think Fred is coming back? It doesn’t seem likely that he leaves.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#2504 » by Indeed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:52 am

I think Karim Mane can be a sleeper. He may need to improve his 3 point shooting and defense, but I am impressed with his passing.
provecy15
Senior
And1: 190

Post#2505 » by provecy15 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 am

I've been a big fan of Paul Reed this year. His offensive AND defensive numbers have improved every year, and he has a motor similar to Siakim. I would say he's ahead of the curve of where Siakim was at this point in college. 6'9, shoots 35-40% from 3, over 2blks a game, over 50%Fg, and about 2stls a game.
provecy15
Senior

Post#2506 » by provecy15 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:22 am

I'm also impressed with Zeke Nnanji. This guy could be a hybrid of Serge Ibaka/Joakim Noah. With Gasol likel gone, and Serge likely coming back, but getting older, Nanji could be the future C of the Raptors. I like his motor, his mobility, his midrange jumpshot (looks like potential for a 3pt shot).
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2507 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:01 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
Psubs wrote:

PG Maledon - TD
SG TD - Thomas
SF OG
PF Siakam
C

You don’t think Fred is coming back? It doesn’t seem likely that he leaves.

It's just he might get flipped in a sign and trade. I'm just more sure that those guys are easy guesses to stick around (unless in a blockbuster).
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#2508 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:04 am

provecy15 wrote:I've been a big fan of Paul Reed this year. His offensive AND defensive numbers have improved every year, and he has a motor similar to Siakim. I would say he's ahead of the curve of where Siakim was at this point in college. 6'9, shoots 35-40% from 3, over 2blks a game, over 50%Fg, and about 2stls a game.

I don't think he's ahead of siakam offensively.
Reed looks really uncoordinated at times and his form needs to desperately change for him to have any consistency his defense is elite though and that's what you'd be taking him for while trying to fix the rest
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#2509 » by Mark_83 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:08 am

Psubs wrote:

PG Maledon - TD
SG TD - Thomas
SF OG
PF Siakam
C

I don't know why but for some reason I prefer my point guards to have a waist-hip ratio between 0.55 and 0.65. :biggrin:
provecy15
Senior

Post#2510 » by provecy15 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:31 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
provecy15 wrote:I've been a big fan of Paul Reed this year. His offensive AND defensive numbers have improved every year, and he has a motor similar to Siakim. I would say he's ahead of the curve of where Siakim was at this point in college. 6'9, shoots 35-40% from 3, over 2blks a game, over 50%Fg, and about 2stls a game.

Reed looks really uncoordinated at times and his form needs to desperately change for him to have any consistency his defense is elite though and that's what you'd be taking him for while trying to fix the rest

I trust the Raptor's player development staff with developing his offensive game more. He's already a pretty good 3pt shooter and his defense is elite. Based on the talent, I think he's worth it. Even if they trade back to the second round and get him for cheaper.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2511 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:38 pm

provecy15 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

I trust the Raptor's player development staff with developing his offensive game more. He's already a pretty good 3pt shooter and his defense is elite. Based on the talent, I think he's worth it. Even if they trade back to the second round and get him for cheaper.

i would say that he's not even close to a good shooter at all, his form is atrocious, and the results arent good either. Reed needs his entire jumpshot to be rebuilt or he's pretty much a non shooter at this stage
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#2512 » by nabbs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:34 pm

A lot of the guys people mention here are second rounders. I just can't help but repeat myself. The Raps should SERIOUSLY consider trading down to grab 2 2nds

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#2513 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm

nabbs wrote:A lot of the guys people mention here are second rounders. I just can't help but repeat myself. The Raps should SERIOUSLY consider trading down to grab 2 2nds

We also tend to fetishize hidden gems. The odds are always always stacked against 2nds turning into anything. Same with late 1sts, but the value of a late first is the contract. Much like in the Jokic thread, hidden gems do come around every couple of years, but the teams themselves don't think these guys are going to be stars when they draft them. Why should armchair scouts know any better?

From what we've seen, the Raptors are actually really good at finding replacement level talent outside of the draft. If anything, these so-called weak drafts usually have teams trading out or down, and yet, there's always stars found. So, it might be one of those drafts where we can capitalize and move up fairly cheaply to get a talent they really like.
provecy15
Senior

Post#2514 » by provecy15 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 pm

The 76ers have the 34th and the 36th pick. If Paul Reed and Zeke Nanji are available, and we have to give up the 28th pick, let's do it!
nabbs
RealGM

Post#2515 » by nabbs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:24 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
nabbs wrote:A lot of the guys people mention here are second rounders. I just can't help but repeat myself. The Raps should SERIOUSLY consider trading down to grab 2 2nds

We also tend to fetishize hidden gems. The odds are always always stacked against 2nds turning into anything. Same with late 1sts, but the value of a late first is the contract. Much like in the Jokic thread, hidden gems do come around every couple of years, but the teams themselves don't think these guys are going to be stars when they draft them. Why should armchair scouts know any better?

From what we've seen, the Raptors are actually really good at finding replacement level talent outside of the draft. If anything, these so-called weak drafts usually have teams trading out or down, and yet, there's always stars found. So, it might be one of those drafts where we can capitalize and move up fairly cheaply to get a talent they really like.

It's not that I personally fetishize hidden gems (can't speak for anyone else). I think a lot of guys the worth taking that fit the Raptors profile for player scouting are mostly guys that will be available in the 2nd round. When you combine that with the impending financial uncertainty of the NBA and our plans to go big game hunting in 2021, saving dollars on 2nd round contracts might be the move. Unless they absolutely LOVE someone in the first then this isn't a draft to move up in. There are guys in 2nd though that could be had if we can acquire multiple picks in the 30-45 range.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
provecy15
Senior

Post#2516 » by provecy15 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Another sleeper in the draft to watch for- Jordan Nwora from Louisville. Looks as if he'll be a second round pick in the draft ( The 76ers also own the 49th pick). Shoots 40% from 3pt land, 6'7 and is 22 years old. Would you all not be happy if we could grab Zeke Nnanji, Paul Reed and Jordan Nwora on 2nd round contracts? If they aren't ready for the NBA, the G-League team would at least be a good fit for them. To me, these guys are all 1st round talents.
nabbs
RealGM

Post#2517 » by nabbs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:25 pm

provecy15 wrote:The 76ers have the 34th and the 36th pick. If Paul Reed and Zeke Nanji are available, and we have to give up the 28th pick, let's do it!

This is who I would target. Keep in mind we'd have to sniff out who they want and convince them that they'll go before they fall to 34

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#2518 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

nabbs wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

It's not that I personally fetishize hidden gems (can't speak for anyone else). I think a lot of guys the worth taking that fit the Raptors profile for player scouting are mostly guys that will be available in the 2nd round. When you combine that with the impending financial uncertainty of the NBA and our plans to go big game hunting in 2021, saving dollars on 2nd round contracts might be the move. Unless they absolutely LOVE someone in the first then this isn't a draft to move up in. There are guys in 2nd though that could be had if we can acquire multiple picks in the 30-45 range.

I doubt there'd be much savings there (2 deals v 1). The advantage of that guaranteed rookie deal is that if they do land a big name the have that controlled cost and longer development arc. 2nd rounders typically get 2-3 years before RFA. Some teams have been handing out 4 years, but that's typically been a mistake or just not worth it. It makes some sense if the Raptors believe who they get with 2 2nds is who they would get anyway with their late first, I guess.

We're at 29 now. The team is pretty young but still needs star talent. There's a glut at the guard position. I feel like the move is to swim upstream to get someone they really like rather than look at backfilling with second rounders. It's doubtful Nurse is going to play multiple rookies (we'd have 3 2nd rounders + Dewan?) anyway in a season where we're looking to impress Giannis or whomever. Everyone has their favourites and I won't bother including mine, but re-sign Fred and package Norm + #29 feels like it could get us into the late lotto. It'd give us the Fred-Lowry backcourt, permit TD or Matt Thomas get into the Norm slot (plus you know that McCaw will be getting PT as well).
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2519 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:27 pm

I'd rather have #29 and be able to match offers after 4 years.

TD is going to get paid sooner. At least half the MLE if not Powell size. It's interesting. Maybe it's better to lock in TD on a Powell sized contract before he hits his prime.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2520 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/2020-nba-mock-draft-160-projecting-first-round-picks-after-lottery

No way I take Manion over Tyrell Terry. Manion should be a 2nd rounder for sure as he has so many things to prove. He played with Green and Nnaji who could also be 1st rounders so the games shouldn't have been that tough for him.

They rank Maledon high at #15, which I feel is more right than him dropping to #29.

Return to Toronto Raptors