ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Re: Raptors really picked Bruno and Daniels over Jokic. 

Post#41 » by B-Ball Freak » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Masai4PM wrote:What is the point of this thread?

Propaganda by the Anti-Masai task force led by Steelo Green and Pooh Jeter.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#42 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:07 pm

29 other teams made the same mistake. What's the point here?
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,658

Post#43 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 pm

Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
8-12 range.

Okay so name me 8 GM's that have done more than Masai over the past 7 years. I want you to list all their accomplishments and compare side by side to Masai.

Lmao, if I don't get it to you by Friday at 4PM will my final mark be withheld?

Ainge, Riley, Nelson, Myers, Buford, Marks, take your pick of Nuggets executives, Morey, Horst, Presti and Olshey. The first 5 are absolutely better than him and it's not an argument. I'd probably have Masai 9th or 10th.

List all their accomplishments and compare side by side to Masai since 2014.

What has Ainge, Riley, Nelson, and Marks accomplished over Masai in the past 7 years? Please tell me.

Is it wins? No.

Is it playoff runs? No.

Is it championships? No.

Is it player development? No.

I'm certain the answer is "subjective". That covers it all.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#44 » by ATLTimekeeper » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 pm

NUCKER101 wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:
NUCKER101 wrote:You’re acting like he was projected to go around that range. It’s like blaming the Pistons for not drafting FVV in the 1st or early 2nd.

You can make a case for the Daniels pick maybe but definitely not the Bruno pick.

Where was Bruno projected to go again? :lol:

I believe early-mid 2nd lol

Still though, doesn’t mean that Jokic counts as a miss for that pick. I can buy Daniels over Jokic being a miss but that’s about it

I agree. Frankly, this thread is based on a stupid premise and it's only worth it for me to go down memory road a bit.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#45 » by jimmy keys » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:41 am

OakleyDokely wrote:Denver passed on him.

Twice.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#46 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 am

Masai4PM wrote:What is the point of this thread?

The point is that we had the 37th overall pick that year.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
MFS
Analyst
And1: 5,327

Post#47 » by MFS » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:52 am

https://youtu.be/e5-J8DS1wuY?t=883

Masai seems to like taking chances with players that frame.

But he picked the wrong two over Jokic that year in 2014 :(

Masai is still the goat though. But just seeing Joker beast in these playoffs. What could have been!
Credit to Turbo_Zone

Casey again says, "I don't think someone dominated us, I wouldn't use that word."
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#48 » by GordanFreeman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:09 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

Ainge, Riley, Nelson, Myers, Buford, Marks, take your pick of Nuggets executives, Morey, Horst, Presti and Olshey. The first 5 are absolutely better than him and it's not an argument. I'd probably have Masai 9th or 10th.

What has Ainge, Riley, Nelson, and Marks accomplished over Masai in the past 7 years? Please tell me.

Is it wins? No.

Is it playoff runs? No.

Is it championships? No.

The Heat and Celtics are in the ECF because of their player development acumen. If you think they don't have a brighter future than the Raptors you're delusional.

I like for someone touting the success over a long period of time as one of Masai's best qualities you completely ignore that a bunch of these guys have been excellent FAR longer than Masai has allegedly been.

I'm not going to spend 2 hours of my day copying and pasting wikipedia articles for you when I know you're a Masai bootlicker and wouldn't change your mind if the man himself told you he wasn't a top 10 GM.

Sheesh, Barbara is big mad. You husband was horrible as an executive. His understudy is one of the best in big leagues now. Ooooh that burns eh?
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#49 » by mcgrady_1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:13 am

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:

Is it wins? No.

Is it playoff runs? No.

Is it championships? No.

The Heat and Celtics are in the ECF because of their player development acumen. If you think they don't have a brighter future than the Raptors you're delusional.

I like for someone touting the success over a long period of time as one of Masai's best qualities you completely ignore that a bunch of these guys have been excellent FAR longer than Masai has allegedly been.

I'm not going to spend 2 hours of my day copying and pasting wikipedia articles for you when I know you're a Masai bootlicker and wouldn't change your mind if the man himself told you he wasn't a top 10 GM.

So just to be clear, we're just talking about Masai and his tenure as the head of the Raptors. So over the last 7 years.

Unfortunately, due to his success with the team Masai has had 1 lottery pick. I believe that was Jakob Poeltl(9), who was traded along with DD for Kawhi who helped us win a championship. He also does not have the destination compared to those 2 to attract FA's like Kemba Walker and the Heatles.

Boston has done well to groom their guys but Tatum(3), Brown(3) and Smart(6), the guys most responsible for taking us out were all super high draft picks and expected to excel. Boston obviously has a brighter future but they still have to win a Championship just to equal what Masai has accomplished. That's not guaranteed.

Miami has done especially well with Bam(14), Herro(13), Duncan Robinson(undrafted) and Richardson(2nd round) who was traded for Butler.

Masai got Siakam(27), OG(23), Powell(second round) and then a bunch of undrafted cast offs no one in the league wanted and turned it into the second best record in the league and almost beating Boston. All of these guys have shown potential, some have shown flashes of being really good and some have shown a lot more than that. No one has done a better job than Toronto at developing guys over the last couple of years. Miami comes in at a close second.

But to say Masai isn't a top ten GM with what he's done here is silly. He traded Bargs for a FRP, Poeltl who was part of the package for Kawhi. Traded Vasquez for 2 picks(1 FRP & 1 second rounder) which turned into Norman Powell and OG Anunoby. Traded Jonas for Gasol who was instrumental in our Championship run. Traded for Ibaka who has revived his career here. Signed FVV, Boucher, Thomas and Davis out of nowhere. Masai might not be the best GM but yeah, he's the best. Hands down, him and Riley.

I honestly think deep down inside you know you're wrong. I am not even sure how you can defend your position.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#50 » by Anticon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:41 am

He messed up the draft that year not because of Jokic, but just generally.

I tend to think he didn't have the proper scouting and development system setup. It didn't really swing into full view until 2016 when Fred, Jakob and Pascal arrived and the 906 won the title.
Par36
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,023

Post#51 » by Par36 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:46 am

Wait...this is the kind of crap hot takes people are going to now?

How many teams passed on Jokic.. everyone.
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#52 » by gerrit4 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:56 am

Are the people here bashing Masai just bots or posters from other teams? I’m pretty sure no real Raptor fans can be that upset at having the best GM of any toronto sports team in my lifetime.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,748

Post#53 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:03 am

MFS wrote:Masai does make mistakes.

:banghead:

:crazy:

Do yourself and never go to Vegas or open a sports betting account until you learn the nature of bets vs. the field.
WRX_STi
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#54 » by WRX_STi » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:12 am

I can say that drafting Bruno was one of Masai's biggest blunders. Jakob at the time was also a poor choice. Better guys like Sabonis (all-star), Dejounte Murray, Malik Beasley, Caris LeVert were available.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#55 » by Vlade Divac » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:11 am

MFS wrote:https://youtu.be/e5-J8DS1wuY?t=883

Masai seems to like taking chances with players that frame.

But he picked the wrong two over Jokic that year in 2014 :(

Masai is still the goat though. But just seeing Joker beast in these playoffs. What could have been!

Nah... Gasol man is better, look at his defense, athletic abilities, basketball IQ, not to mention chugging alcohol at big celebrations ...
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#56 » by Kreamy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 am

Still can't believe Ainge passed up Giannis for Kelly Olynyk.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,177

Post#57 » by mowcrowbar » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:47 am

What is your point? That Masai sucks? I dont get the point of this thread.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,279

Post#58 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:47 am

WRX_STi wrote:I can say that drafting Bruno was one of Masai's biggest blunders. Jakob at the time was also a poor choice. Better guys like Sabonis (all-star), Dejounte Murray, Malik Beasley, Caris LeVert were available.

Jakob was a fine pick. Bruno was a high risk pick, but most picks in that range don't pan out, so it was worth the gamble.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,256

Post#59 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:10 pm

SMH so much slander on Masai these days on our own board. Wonder if Alan Strickland hired a bunch of bots to come here to seek revenge.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#60 » by Clay Davis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:39 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Danny1616 wrote:
Pooh_Jeter wrote:
Depends on your definition of great. Masai is somewhere in the 8-12 range of executives in this league. I'd say he is more above average than anything.

8-12 range.

Okay so name me 8 GM's that have done more than Masai over the past 7 years. I want you to list all their accomplishments and compare side by side to Masai.

All those guys have white privilege

Sent from my SM-A520W using RealGM mobile app
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.

Return to Toronto Raptors