ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,673

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#301 » by Tatumfor2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 am

The Comedian wrote:
playa-hater wrote:IF JB continues to improve his 3 point shooting... and learns to take care of the ball a bit better, he will be the 3rd best 2 way player/wing at least in the NBA over the next decade.. Giannis-Tatum-Brown

Come on lol. Stuff like this is just like the bostoncouchGM stuff, just in the opposite direction.

He can be one of the better two way wings in the league, but one of the three best two way players in the entire league? That’s a serious reach.

Doesn't seem like that much of a reach. The qualifying parts of this statement are:

Improved 3 point shooting
Taking better care of the ball
Best TWO WAY wing
Over the next decade

Lots of qualifications there and hard to say top 3, but equally hard to find 5 better options. This being a "Brown Ceiling" thread, it seems worth considering.

Out of curiosity, who's obviously better over the next 5 years? Jimmy Butler? Brown is only "taking better care of the ball" behind Butler now imo. PG? Probably out of reach, but if he checks all the boxes he can get there. Kawhi? I can't even green goggle my way to that one, but I'd bet on JB for the second 5 years of the ten.

Some posters here (not you) are so committed to the negative and the "I know I'm right", but isn't it more fun to shoot for the stars in a "his ceiling " thread?

Whew, that's a lot if typing for me! I'll go back to mostly lurking and enjoying everyone's insight and factoids.

Go Celtics!
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#302 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:14 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
playa-hater wrote:IF JB continues to improve his 3 point shooting... and learns to take care of the ball a bit better, he will be the 3rd best 2 way player/wing at least in the NBA over the next decade.. Giannis-Tatum-Brown

Come on lol. Stuff like this is just like the bostoncouchGM stuff, just in the opposite direction.

He can be one of the better two way wings in the league, but one of the three best two way players in the entire league? That’s a serious reach.

Doesn't seem like that much of a reach. The qualifying parts of this statement are:

Improved 3 point shooting
Taking better care of the ball
Best TWO WAY wing
Over the next decade

Lots of qualifications there and hard to say top 3, but equally hard to find 5 better options. This being a "Brown Ceiling" thread, it seems worth considering.

Out of curiosity, who's obviously better over the next 5 years? Jimmy Butler? Brown is only "taking better care of the ball" behind Butler now imo. PG? Probably out of reach, but if he checks all the boxes he can get there. Kawhi? I can't even green goggle my way to that one, but I'd bet on JB for the second 5 years of the ten.

Some posters here (not you) are so committed to the negative and the "I know I'm right", but isn't it more fun to shoot for the stars in a "his ceiling " thread?

Whew, that's a lot if typing for me! I'll go back to mostly lurking and enjoying everyone's insight and factoids.

Go Celtics!

I’m not really arguing that he could be one of the better two way wings in the league. I just think saying he will be the 3rd best two way player in the league over the next decade is pushing it, even with the caveats.

A lot can happen over a decade lol, trades, new studs drafted every year. Even saying Tatum will be the second best two way player in the league over the next decade is a strong assumption, and we know what I think of him. Jaylen would have to be a top 10-15 player to be the third best two way player in the league, I would be pretty surprised if he ever reached that level. Not saying he can’t as his work ethic is insane, but it’s a long shot.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#303 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:27 am

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#304 » by playa-hater » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:49 am

The Comedian wrote:

LOL back at you, he is 23, and improving yearly, already a good 2 way wing. Who are these others you are LOL about??

KD and Kawhi are on the wrong side of 30.. PG is trending Down.. Ben Simmons, not a wing and only hit a single 3 pointer in 4 or 5 years of BB. Please don't say Ingram..

I think you owe me an apology !! 8-)
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#305 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:52 am

Crazy thought since I know nothing about boxing, but it appears Jaylen's boxing training with his granddad helped with his defensive footwork. Watch his stance against Siakam and how he mirrors his opponent's movements with his quick feet. Or maybe I'm just imagining/romanticizing things.

Also, he's putting that athleticism to good use. Not just a scorer now.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#306 » by playa-hater » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 am

In fact since Some people declared WAR, J Brown at his age > Jimmy Butler and Paul George at the same age.. Both Jimmy and Paul are way up there as 2 way players so....
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,785

Post#307 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 am

His ceiling is the Eiffel Tower.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#308 » by djFan71 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 am

Curmudgeon wrote:His ceiling is the Eiffel Tower.

So, floor is the catacombs?
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#309 » by Matt5 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 am

No, that would be his basement. His floor is the Champ de Mars, a beautiful street!
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#310 » by Ill News » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Crazy thought since I know nothing about boxing, but it appears Jaylen's boxing training with his granddad helped with his defensive footwork. Watch his stance against Siakam and how he mirrors his opponent's movements with his quick feet. Or maybe I'm just imagining/romanticizing things.

Also, he's putting that athleticism to good use. Not just a scorer now.

I was just thinking about this today. The training probably gave him some additional strength as well, he's becoming absolutely immovable in the post. Couple that with the improved defensive footwork that you mentioned, and we're beginning to see him become a permanent lockdown defender. Still needs to work on help defense sometimes, though.

I remember Kanter saying in an interview once that he was surprised how much more muscular Jaylen looked after the hiatus. He looks the same to me, but then again it's not like I can see him in person. Another result of the boxing training, no doubt.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#311 » by grindtime22 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:59 am

playa-hater wrote:In fact since Some people declared WAR, J Brown at his age > Jimmy Butler and Paul George at the same age.. Both Jimmy and Paul are way up there as 2 way players so....

PG was better at 23
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#312 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:04 am

Jaylen at 23 is better than Butler at 23.
Jayson at 22 is better than George at 22.

If those are their floors (and there's little evidence that they can't improve still), then we're in good shape.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#313 » by North_of_Border » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:26 am

Should sent him to Spurs for 1 year of Kawhi + a Championship
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#314 » by OFWGKTA » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am

North_of_Border wrote:Should sent him to Spurs for 1 year of Kawhi + a Championship

Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#315 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:37 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Jaylen at 23 is better than Butler at 23.

If those are their floors (and there's little evidence that they can't improve still), then we're in good shape.

If Jaylen can't initiate the offense or be trusted to go one on one more than once a game, he's not nearly on their level. Both those guys can actually dribble in traffic without panicking, dribbling off their feet, or getting stripped. That's what Jaylen fans can't seem to accept. If you can't dribble your game is very limited. This is why he's parked in the corner like we used to with Crowder. He's just a more athletic Crowder. That's all. Catch and shoot wide open threes, run in transition, and occasional mismatches. Basically what you'd call a traditional 3 and D. There's isn't some giant leap he's waiting to take because you can't fix a bad handle with poor BBIQ.

There are actually people on here, no lie, that think Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray and that Danny was right to take him over Murray. I'm not kidding. It might actually be the majority of you lol.

And no, George at 22 y/o was better than Jaylen is even now at 23 let alone 22. Imagine basing your opinion on just points per game. George was 17-8-4 with elite (not just average like Jaylen) defense at 22 y/o. He was a playmaker unlike Jaylen. At 23 y/o, he was so good, that going into his 24 y/o season there was talk about him being a potential league MVP but he had that gruesome injury that derailed him. Nobody on here really believes Jaylen has MVP upside do they? c'mon man.

Jimmy Butler was drafted by a loaded team that had Championship aspirations for a coach who never believed in him or gave him a chance until he had to. He just couldn't shoot. But he was a dominant defender with a high BBIQ. As soon as he rebuilt his shot he became one of the best two-way players in the league. There's virtually no chance Jaylen can improve innate deficiencies enough to compare favorably to Jimmy Butler. I suppose it possible though. I no longer even think Jaylen can be Iggy 2.0 because Iggy was a hell of a playmaker. He's essentially Rudy Gay 2.0.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#316 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:40 am

/\ What is this guys deal with Brown? Wow.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#317 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:/\ What is this guys deal with Brown? Wow.

what do you mean "deal"? We're talking about his ceiling. People bring up other players for comparisons sake. I addressed it and brought up someone else. Why does this upset you? I'm like one guy among hundreds who doesn't praise him endlessly. Is this so difficult to endure lol?
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#318 » by playa-hater » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:45 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:

If Jaylen can't initiate the offense or be trusted to go one on one more than once a game, he's not nearly on their level. Both those guys can actually dribble in traffic without panicking, dribbling off their feet, or getting stripped. That's what Jaylen fans can't seem to accept. If you can't dribble your game is very limited. This is why he's parked in the corner like we used to with Crowder. He's just a more athletic Crowder. That's all. Catch and shoot wide open threes, run in transition, and occasional mismatches. Basically what you'd call a traditional 3 and D. There's isn't some giant leap he's waiting to take because you can't fix a bad handle with poor BBIQ.

There are actually people on here, no lie, that think Jaylen is better than Jamal Murray and that Danny was right to take him over Murray. I'm not kidding. It might actually be the majority of you lol.

And no, George at 22 y/o was better than Jaylen is even now at 23 let alone 22. Imagine basing your opinion on just points per game. George was 17-8-4 with elite (not just average like Jaylen) defense at 22 y/o. He was a playmaker unlike Jaylen. At 23 y/o, he was so good, that going into his 24 y/o season there was talk about him being a potential league MVP but he had that gruesome injury that derailed him. Nobody on here really believes Jaylen has MVP upside do they? c'mon man.

Jimmy Butler was drafted by a loaded team that had Championship aspirations for a coach who never believed in him or gave him a chance until he had to. He just couldn't shoot. But he was a dominant defender with a high BBIQ. As soon as he rebuilt his shot he became one of the best two-way players in the league. There's virtually no chance Jaylen can improve innate deficiencies enough to compare favorably to Jimmy Butler. I suppose it possible though. I no longer even think Jaylen can be Iggy 2.0 because Iggy was a hell of a playmaker. He's essentially Rudy Gay 2.0.

Not saying this is wrong, JM over J BROWN, but JB is the better defender.. and Boston is one of the top defensive teams, which is a big reason they are here in the playoffs.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#319 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Not saying this is wrong, JM over J BROWN, but JB is the better defender.. and Boston is one of the top defensive teams, which is a big reason they are here in the playoffs.

Yeah but Murray's overall net effect is still much higher. I don't agree with BostonCouchGM on much. I think everyone knows that. But his Jaylen takes have never given me much pause. And I also wanted Murray that year too.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#320 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:57 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Yeah but Murray's overall net effect is still much higher. I don't agree with BostonCouchGM on much. I think everyone knows that. But his Jaylen takes have never given me much pause. And I also wanted Murray that year too.

Murray has just had this particular run. I feel as if Brown's overall career has been far superior. Murray averaged 18-19 a game this season. Maybe he's ascending, we will see, but I like Brown's 2 way potential WAY more. I also think in last game, we completely ignored Jaylen and he was having a decent game.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics