2020 Offseason Strategy Thread

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: 2020 Offseason Strategy Thread 

Post#321 » by Pinkyring » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:34 pm

TingusP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:We need to call Orlando about a kleber 18 wright for Gordon deal

That's a tempting deal. My first thought is to not give up Maxi, but it would be a really well rounded starting five with Gordon at PF. They could even spend the MLE this year and still easily create $20M in cap space in 2021. If Giannis really does leave Milwaukee, Gordon could serve as the centerpiece of a sign and trade.

Luka / Brunson
THJ / Curry
DFS / MLE / #31
Gordon / Powell
KP / Boban

And maybe target Jrue Holiday in 2021?

Gordon is better than maxi so if Gordon is playing 35 mpg there's no reason to keep and pay maxi 9m to play 13mpg
TingusP
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#322 » by TingusP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:21 am

Pinkyring wrote:
TingusP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:We need to call Orlando about a kleber 18 wright for Gordon deal

That's a tempting deal. My first thought is to not give up Maxi, but it would be a really well rounded starting five with Gordon at PF. They could even spend the MLE this year and still easily create $20M in cap space in 2021. If Giannis really does leave Milwaukee, Gordon could serve as the centerpiece of a sign and trade.

Luka / Brunson
THJ / Curry
DFS / MLE / #31
Gordon / Powell
KP / Boban

Gordon is better than maxi so if Gordon is playing 35 mpg there's no reason to keep and pay maxi 9m to play 13mpg

Maxi could still get minutes backing up KP. Worth keeping if possible, although I would insist on him if I were Orlando.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#323 » by Pinkyring » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:24 am

TingusP wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
TingusP wrote:That's a tempting deal. My first thought is to not give up Maxi, but it would be a really well rounded starting five with Gordon at PF. They could even spend the MLE this year and still easily create $20M in cap space in 2021. If Giannis really does leave Milwaukee, Gordon could serve as the centerpiece of a sign and trade.

Luka / Brunson
THJ / Curry
DFS / MLE / #31
Gordon / Powell
KP / Boban

Maxi could still get minutes backing up KP. Worth keeping if possible, although I would insist on him if I were Orlando.

Powell should get those backup minutes at 4 and 5
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#324 » by Pointguard01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:45 am

Aaron Gordon’s a good target, though I don’t know that he solves the 2nd playmaker issue. He makes us much better defensively. It would also be hard to have the best offer for him.

I heard the name Dennis Schroeder and didn’t hate the fit. He’s got 1-yr left, can create his own shot, good enough shooter and plays defense. From an attainable trade target, he might be as good as they come.

Pinkyring wrote:
Pointguard01 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Yeah I'd go all in on jrue 3/90 type deal that way we get a 3 yr run then he and kp come off the books together and we get to hit the market again with a ton of cap. I dont think a second kp contract will be an option unless its cheap

Same here. I’d rather focus on Jrue day 1 of free agency than wait around for Giannis. While Giannis makes us the team to beat, it’s such a low chance he leaves AND he chooses us. If we can steal Jrue early in free agency, we become a really really good team.

In other news, i can’t believe we think Bledsoe would be good here. He can’t shoot and has come up empty in multiple playoffs. No thanks.

Bledsoe isnt a shooter but he can guard and serve as a secondary playmaker as well as get the rim, he isnt a perfecr player but he's an upgrade and rick is very good with guards

He won’t deliver as the secondary playmaker in the playoffs. Again, he was basically unplayable in the playoffs the past 2-yrs. And we would be taking on decent salary into Bledsoes’ mid-30s where he could get worse than he is now. I’d absolutely pass 10 out of 10x.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#325 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Giannis met with team ownership about something. Maybe securing a long term commitment of some sort. Similar to when Knicks brass met with KP and they weren't able to secure a commitment so they looked for trade partners.

Question : Would you swing a trade for Giannis for a possible one year rental? No extension commitments whatsoever.

THJ + DFS + Brunson + Two future 1st rounders

for Giannis. Would you do it?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#326 » by Pinkyring » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:11 pm

arkuo wrote:Giannis met with team ownership about something. Maybe securing a long term commitment of some sort. Similar to when Knicks brass met with KP and they weren't able to secure a commitment so they looked for trade partners.

Question : Would you swing a trade for Giannis for a possible one year rental? No extension commitments whatsoever.

If Giannis becomes available it'd start with Porzingis minimal and i wouldn't do that deal
arkuo
General Manager

Post#327 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
arkuo wrote:Giannis met with team ownership about something. Maybe securing a long term commitment of some sort. Similar to when Knicks brass met with KP and they weren't able to secure a commitment so they looked for trade partners.

If Giannis becomes available it'd start with Porzingis minimal and i wouldn't do that deal

KP might be too much value for a possible one year rental. The package above is similar to what the raptors gave for a one year rental of Kawhi. No guarantee he stays.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#328 » by Pinkyring » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:29 pm

arkuo wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

KP might be too much value for a possible one year rental. The package above is similar to what the raptors gave for a one year rental of Kawhi. No guarantee he stays.

No it is derozen was an all star that's a package of role players
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,770

Post#329 » by Archx » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:04 pm

arkuo wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

THJ+DFS+Brunson won't ever give you Giannis specially when other teams can put together much better packages for him. And i think that Mavs can't trade any 1st round picks for a while. There is no chance they'll get Giannis in a trade unless it involves Doncic. Injury prone KP, i'm not sure Bucks would ever consider this. They said that they are not interested in trading him anyway because last time they had such an amazing player was KAJ in the 70's i believe. So THJ + DFS + Brunson wouldn't even come close to that.
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#330 » by troza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:54 am

If there is confidence that Porzingis can overcome his injury problems, I wouldn't trade him for a one year rental of Giannis.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 711

Post#331 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 am

Would you do it if you were Bucks .. ??? .. you would only have 28 teams beating that offer ... I think Mavs has no more 1 to pitch
1+1=11
swaggerbox
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#332 » by swaggerbox » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:45 pm

we dont stand a chance if Giannis is dealt this offseason. we simply dont have the pieces to trump other teams' offers. we may a chance if we can pick up valuable assets in the coming draft and free agency (doubt it) and dangle them to the Bucks by the trade deadline. however if giannis is not dealt and becomes a free agent, our chances greatly diminish. masai, pat riley and jerry west will be frontrunners.
JJP
Pro Prospect
And1: 172

Post#333 » by JJP » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:27 pm

swaggerbox wrote:we dont stand a chance if Giannis is dealt this offseason. we simply dont have the pieces to trump other teams' offers. we may a chance if we can pick up valuable assets in the coming draft and free agency (doubt it) and dangle them to the Bucks by the trade deadline. however if Giannis is not dealt and becomes a free agent, our chances greatly diminish. masai, pat riley and jerry west will be frontrunners.

None of the California teams would have an easy path to cap room for Giannis in Free Agency. The Lakers path is almost non-existent. The Clippers and Golden State would almost certainly be forced to do something dramatic that would reduce payroll - namely getting rid of an important big-name starter. Their rosters would not look a whole lot better than an upgraded Milwaukee team.

Miami's path would be somewhat easier - and lesser players could be moved for cap space. However, Dallas has the easiest path - and the most inviting one in regards to players. Giannis would be paired with ideal teammates who are nearly as young as he is. They would be contending for several years without contract interruptions. All have European pedigrees, and Doncic is a pick-and-roll savant. Dallas would be his best shot if he doesn't sign an extension.

I don't think that will happen. Milwaukee will bring everything they have, and can give him nearly 80 million more with a supermax. They will go over the cap if they have to. Giannis would really have to want to be in free agency untethered. If he is truly a free agent, Dallas' chances are quite good. I think it's really Dallas and Miami. Everyone else is playing catch-up. But that's not the most likely scenario. The most likely one is that he stays in Milwaukee.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#334 » by fuller4379 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:07 pm

We don’t have the assets to trade for Giannis. The only asset besides Luka which is worth something is KP. I think he would have to be healthy through the trade deadline for Milwaukee to consider that trade. Giannis would also have to give the Mavericks assurance that he isn’t just a rental.

I wouldn’t go all in on trying to get Giannis in free agency. How did that work for Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, DeAndre Jordan, Mike Conley, and Hassan Whiteside?
arkuo
General Manager

Post#335 » by arkuo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:25 pm

Not sure if anyone asked this before, but what are the rules if THJ opts out? Can we re-sign him again to a smaller but longer contract? and can we go over the cap to sign someone first, then sign THJ back with bird rights?

If that can be done, I'd rather the Mavs do something this summer by getting some real help than waiting for 2021 only for Giannis to stay in Milwaukee. The consolation prize for waiting is Rudy Gobert or Victor Oladipo. Which doesnt sound too appealing.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#336 » by fuller4379 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 pm

arkuo wrote:Not sure if anyone asked this before, but what are the rules if THJ opts out? Can we re-sign him again to a smaller but longer contract? and can we go over the cap to sign someone first, then sign THJ back with bird rights?

If that can be done, I'd rather the Mavs do something this summer by getting some real help than waiting for 2021 only for Giannis to stay in Milwaukee. The consolation prize for waiting is Rudy Gobert or Victor Oladipo. Which doesnt sound too appealing.

We can't sign someone first and keep THJ's Bird rights. There would be a cap hold on THJ until we sign him or renounce his Bird rights. I think the cap hold is 150% of his $18.15 million in salary which would amount to $27.23 million.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#337 » by arkuo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Dallas should scan the field and help facilitate a CP3 trade.

Clippers, Bucks, and Sixers all want or have a need for CP3. None of those 3 teams have an expiring contract that helps OKC clear their books. Dallas can use THJ + Powell + Wright + 18 to help get CP3. The question is which 3rd team can we get the most help from?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#338 » by HMFFL » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:24 pm

Raptors to offer free agent Serge Ibaka short-term deal?

[https://hoopshype]

Ibaka’s free agency is tough to gauge. I had someone in the know tell me Toronto could offer him a short-term deal to keep its core together and wait until the following summer to decide on whether to offer him a bigger deal.

Another source told me Ibaka could get a deal with the mid-level exception, but the Nets’ $5.7 million MLE is nowhere near Ibaka’s $23 million salary this season. Would he take a discount to end up in Brooklyn with his good friend Durant? Maybe. But not one that big.

– via Alex Schiffer @ The Athletic

Top Rumors, Free Agency, Serge Ibaka, Toronto Raptors

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#339 » by Pinkyring » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 pm

HMFFL wrote:Raptors to offer free agent Serge Ibaka short-term deal?

Ibaka’s free agency is tough to gauge. I had someone in the know tell me Toronto could offer him a short-term deal to keep its core together and wait until the following summer to decide on whether to offer him a bigger deal.

Another source told me Ibaka could get a deal with the mid-level exception, but the Nets’ $5.7 million MLE is nowhere near Ibaka’s $23 million salary this season. Would he take a discount to end up in Brooklyn with his good friend Durant? Maybe. But not one that big.

What does this have to do with the mavs
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#340 » by ejs78 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:00 pm

He's a FA target for the Mavs in many peoples eyes
Pinkyring wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Raptors to offer free agent Serge Ibaka short-term deal?

What does this have to do with the mavs

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Dallas Mavericks