ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,259

Re: 2019-20 Season: Draft, Trades, and FA Ideas Thread V2 

Post#581 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Klaw22 wrote:
Raptorfan2012 wrote:The more I think about it, so long as Nurse and Lowry are on this team, Fred is going to be our starting SG, and I really don't want to see that anymore. I rather just let Fred walk instead.

Going to make my pitch here for Bogdan Bogdanovic. 6'6 28 year old shooting guard who averaged 15.1 points on 29 mins, 37.2% from 3, 44.0$ FG%. Also 3.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.0 steals. He is an RFA, but Kings already paid Buddy and will have to pay Fox next season. How much are the Kings willing to spend to bring back Bogdan? Divac is no longer their GM, so not sure what their priorities are in keeping Bogdan.

Guy is pretty clutch:

Guy also led Team Serbia in last year's FIBA world cup:

He also led the US-Serbia game with 28 points for the win.

We really need a guy who can create his own offense (so Pascal won't have to anymore), and Bogdan can do that. His 3 point shooting will also look very nice next to a guy like Giannis. I don't think Bogdan will cost nearly as much as Fred, so we save a bit of money here as well. Also possible we try to do a sign and trade with Norm going to the Kings (they may like Norm's championship experience, and Norm fits better behind Buddy than Bogdan does).

I'm a big fan of Bogdanovic, but the kings will pay him and looking to trade Buddy Hield, they have the same skills, but Bogdan better in Creation and also cheaper than Hield and Fred. I would love him, but I don't see it. But if there's a chance - I'm in.

Buddy has a pretty bad contract IMO; good luck trying to trade that. Rumor is Bogdan is looking for $15M plus. If we let FVV walk, we can pay that. First woe Bogdan, then work out a deal with the Kings in a sign and trade. I think Bogdan will thrive on our team (get him off the Kings for one).
sogood
Analyst
And1: 5,095

Post#582 » by sogood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:17 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:The more I think about it, so long as Nurse and Lowry are on this team, Fred is going to be our starting SG, and I really don't want to see that anymore. I rather just let Fred walk instead.

Going to make my pitch here for Bogdan Bogdanovic. 6'6 28 year old shooting guard who averaged 15.1 points on 29 mins, 37.2% from 3, 44.0$ FG%. Also 3.4 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 1.0 steals. He is an RFA, but Kings already paid Buddy and will have to pay Fox next season. How much are the Kings willing to spend to bring back Bogdan? Divac is no longer their GM, so not sure what their priorities are in keeping Bogdan.

Guy is pretty clutch:

Guy also led Team Serbia in last year's FIBA world cup:

He also led the US-Serbia game with 28 points for the win.

We really need a guy who can create his own offense (so Pascal won't have to anymore), and Bogdan can do that. His 3 point shooting will also look very nice next to a guy like Giannis. I don't think Bogdan will cost nearly as much as Fred, so we save a bit of money here as well. Also possible we try to do a sign and trade with Norm going to the Kings (they may like Norm's championship experience, and Norm fits better behind Buddy than Bogdan does).

Yeah, Norm really killed it during the finals last year. 1.8 PPG, 1 rbs, 0.7 asts.
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#583 » by VintageVince » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
VintageVince wrote:I want Aaron Baynes.

Aaron Bayes is our answer at the Center spot. He can shoot the three, defend and should not come at an expensive price.

SIGN ME UP

i think there's 2 things people arent seeing with Baynes

1) he's only a year younger than Marc
2) He played 42/73 games this year and had knee issues the whole season.

Theres a strong possibility that signing is a dud

He barely has any miles on those legs though.
We got one of the best medical staff in the league.

It's not like we're going to offer this guy more than 7mil per year. Ibaka / Baynes - I'm down. If it's a dud, then so be it, it's not a huge risk we're taking.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#584 » by nabbs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:04 am

VintageVince wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Aaron Bayes is our answer at the Center spot. He can shoot the three, defend and should not come at an expensive price.

SIGN ME UP

It's not like we're going to offer this guy more than 7mil per year. Ibaka / Baynes - I'm down. If it's a dud, then so be it, it's not a huge risk we're taking.

I think Baynes is worth at the MLE. Chance he gets a bigger offer somewhere else though

I think the move might be to bring Marc back, resign Boucher and sign Giles to a vet min

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#585 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:17 am

nabbs wrote:
VintageVince wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I think Baynes is worth at the MLE. Chance he gets a bigger offer somewhere else though

I think the move might be to bring Marc back, resign Boucher and sign Giles to a vet min

I think he can be had for half the MLE if you give him a 3 year deal. Sign another player for the other half. Use the LLE for Giles.
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,365

Post#586 » by Saul Goodman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:30 am

Consolidation is the name of the game. We should keep going for the finals.

To Washington:
OG
Mo Bamba
Aminu
2022 Raptors 1st

To Toronto:
Bradley Beal

To Orlando:
Fred VanVleet sign and trade

sign Ibaka to a giant one year deal.

Sign Gasol to a 1 year 6 m deal

sign Justin Holiday to a 1 year 8 mill deal

sign Thon Maker to a min

Beal and Siakam would be an irresistible lure for Giannis.

Lowry/Beal/Powell/Siakam/Ibaka

Davis/Thomas/Holiday/Maker/Gasol

Can easily win the chip next season while still luring Giannis.
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
pr0gr4m
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#587 » by pr0gr4m » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:Consolidation is the name of the game. We should keep going for the finals.

To Washington:
OG
Mo Bamba
Aminu
2022 Raptors 1st

To Toronto:
Bradley Beal

To Orlando:
Fred VanVleet sign and trade

sign Ibaka to a giant one year deal.

Sign Gasol to a 1 year 6 m deal

sign Justin Holiday to a 1 year 8 mill deal

sign Thon Maker to a min

Beal and Siakam would be an irresistible lure for Giannis.

Lowry/Beal/Powell/Siakam/Ibaka

Davis/Thomas/Holiday/Maker/Gasol

Can easily win the chip next season while still luring Giannis.

Beal isn't realistic as the Raptors don't have the assets other teams do. We lack the picks and high potential young talent to land Beal. I would instead look to take advantage of other poor FOs.

I am interested in Bogdanovic for FVV sign and trade swap but the Kings will probably want wing depth and defense. They would probably target OG.

OG, Johnson, and FVV for Hield, Bogdanovic, Bagley, and their 12th pick.

Toronto loses OG. But in order for Toronto to contend they need to find a superstar at all costs. Bagley was a former 2nd overall pick in a bad organization. He could make it possible for the Raptors to have a bigger Siakam on the floor to push the ball in transition.

Bogdanovic automatically becomes a go to player in the half court.

I would draft (12) Nesmith and (29) Woodard.

Next year would be a rebuilding year and I would look to give some vets back up roles and then give them bigger roles in the playoffs next year.

Bagley/Hernandez
Siakam/Woodard
Bogdanovic/Nesmith
Hield/Powell/Thomas
Lowry/Davis

I would raise Hield's and attempt to trade him down the road to a desperate contender or playoff team looking for a prime scorer. He's still too valuable to be a salary dump and would look better next to Lowry than FVV did.

Bagley probably won't be an all star but he can still be a poor man's Siakam. His gravity running down the middle would open 40+ shooters in Hield, Lowry, Powell, Nesmith, Woodard, and Bogdanovic open. If Giannis still comes he can replace Bagley who can become a bench player or be a pieced with Hield to get Beal or another prolific wing scorer.

Optimally:

Giannis/Hernandez
Siakam/Woodard
Nesmith/Bogdanovic
Beal/Thomas
Davis/Powell
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#588 » by StopitLeo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:33 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:

SIGN ME UP

Baynes did have quite a few injuries this year, definitely an important consideration.

He will have had a lot of time to rehabilitate prior to next season though. If healthy he is more mobile than Gasol (even at similar ages) and will probably cost less.

If Gasol will take a cheap 1 year deal I'd keep him.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,000

Post#589 » by ItsDanger » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

I like Baynes as a player and what he brings but at his age, the knees and other issues are a major concern. I could see players taking one year deals this offsesason.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#590 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm

StopitLeo wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

SIGN ME UP

Baynes did have quite a few injuries this year, definitely an impor
tant consideration.

He will have had a lot of time to rehabilitate prior to next season though. If healthy he is more mobile than Gasol (even at similar ages) and will probably cost less.

If Gasol will take a cheap 1 year deal I'd keep him.

i'd be fine with Baynes or Marc as the backup, but i dont trust their durability to reliably be a starter is my issue and the contract should reflect this
Purple Forever
Junior
And1: 227

Post#591 » by Purple Forever » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:32 pm

So I do think we need to keep our assets. So we resign our restricted free agents. We need Ibaka to start, so we sign him - hoping he takes a wink wink - 1 yr 25 MM. But we need to keep Fred - Lowry needs to start to transition to the bench - he will be another year older next year. Fred is your starter going forward. We then need a starting two guard who can create his own shot - likely as the 3rd option behind Siakim, Fred and ahead of Ibaka. Sadly Wiggins may be a good option for that role. He doesn't need to be the primary.
Purple Forever
Junior
And1: 227

Post#592 » by Purple Forever » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Backup centre can be Boucher and a vet min true big - depending on matchups - as much as Gasol was exposed against Theiss, what if we played Philly instead ? We need someone like Marc, Robin Lopez or Baynes - in that mold for vet min or biannual exception at most.
sofargone
Starter
And1: 1,648

Post#593 » by sofargone » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm

would we be interested in welcoming back jakob poetl
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach

Post#594 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Purple Forever wrote:So I do think we need to keep our assets. So we resign our restricted free agents. We need Ibaka to start, so we sign him - hoping he takes a wink wink - 1 yr 25 MM. But we need to keep Fred - Lowry needs to start to transition to the bench - he will be another year older next year. Fred is your starter going forward. We then need a starting two guard who can create his own shot - likely as the 3rd option behind Siakim, Fred and ahead of Ibaka. Sadly Wiggins may be a good option for that role. He doesn't need to be the primary.

The problem is neither Lowry or Fred would want to come off the bench. If we intend to keep Lowry for a few more seasons, we may have to either let Fred walk, or sign and trade him. The more I think about it, if Fred is pegged as our main SG, I rather have him walk and sign a real SG (someone over 6'4). We can get a new back up PG from the draft or in FA (i.e. like Tyler Ennis)
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#595 » by Psubs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:
Purple Forever wrote:So I do think we need to keep our assets. So we resign our restricted free agents. We need Ibaka to start, so we sign him - hoping he takes a wink wink - 1 yr 25 MM. But we need to keep Fred - Lowry needs to start to transition to the bench - he will be another year older next year. Fred is your starter going forward. We then need a starting two guard who can create his own shot - likely as the 3rd option behind Siakim, Fred and ahead of Ibaka. Sadly Wiggins may be a good option for that role. He doesn't need to be the primary.

The problem is neither Lowry or Fred would want to come off the bench. If we intend to keep Lowry for a few more seasons, we may have to either let Fred walk, or sign and trade him. The more I think about it, if Fred is pegged as our main SG, I rather have him walk and sign a real SG (someone over 6'4). We can get a new back up PG from the draft or in FA (i.e. like Tyler Ennis)

I would go with DJ Augustin for the min for the 2nd time around. :D

Shoots the 3 at around 37%, good A/T. He doesn't play scared and a vet with playoff experience.
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#596 » by isyed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm

I would go hard for 2016 draft RFA hard.

Work with Brandon Ingram's agent to throw max at him. Yes Pelicans can match but they didn't extend him at the start of the year so there might b some bad blood. David Griffin is a smart man so its going to be hard to bamboozle him. The threat has to exist for us to make space for Ingram. Only way we can do this is to trade Mccaw and Stanley with 2020 first rounder plus waiving all bird rights to everyone else and also moving Norm. Gives us just enough room to keep FVV and still throw the max at Ingram.

He already has tonnes of picks from the Lakers so might be open to vets to help Zion make it to the playoffs. JJ and Jrue are there already. A trade around a resigned Ibaka (4 year 70 million) + salary filler like Mccaw for a max Ingram

Extend FVV at 5 year 90 million deal with player option after year 3.

Full 4 year MLE at Poetl. Spurs might not match at that amount. Poetl gives us a passing big man and can stick with perimetre player better than Gasol at this point in his career.

Use bird rights to sign Gasol to a 1 year $10 mill deal. We can trade him to a contender later if we want to. He can be a mentor for Poetl till he is here.

Extend Boucher on a smaller deal to take Ibaka's role of the bench. Resign RHJ for one more year on min.

Lowry/1st rounder
FVV/Norm/Davis/Thomas
OG/Watson/Stanley
Ingram/Boucher
Siakam/Poetl/Gasol/Hernandez

Lineup would still be unbalanced but its a perfect small ball lineup to close. Plus we still keep all our players to consolidate closer to the deadline for scorer or star if we want.

If Lowry agrees to go to the bench we go with the following lineup

FVV/Lowry
OG/Norm
Ingram
Siakam
Poetl/Gasol

Maybe we move Norm/TD/Stanley/future first for someone who becomes available in the future.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach

Post#597 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:56 pm

isyed wrote:I would go hard for 2016 draft RFA hard.

Work with Brandon Ingram's agent to throw max at him. Yes Pelicans can match but they didn't extend him at the start of the year so there might b some bad blood. David Griffin is a smart man so its going to be hard to bamboozle him. The threat has to exist for us to make space for Ingram. Only way we can do this is to trade Mccaw and Stanley with 2020 first rounder plus waiving all bird rights to everyone else and also moving Norm. Gives us just enough room to keep FVV and still throw the max at Ingram.

He already has tonnes of picks from the Lakers so might be open to vets to help Zion make it to the playoffs. JJ and Jrue are there already. A trade around a resigned Ibaka (4 year 70 million) + salary filler like Mccaw for a max Ingram

Full 4 year MLE at Poetl. Spurs might not match at that amount. Poetl gives us a passing big man and can stick with perimetre player better than Gasol at this point in his career.

Use bird rights to sign Gasol to a 1 year $10 mill deal. We can trade him to a contender later if we want to. He can be a mentor for Poetl till he is here.

Extend Boucher on a smaller deal to take Ibaka's role of the bench. Resign RHJ for one more year on min.

Lowry/1st rounder
FVV/Norm/Davis/Thomas
OG/Watson/Stanley
Ingram/Boucher

Lineup would still be unbalanced but its a perfect small ball lineup to close. Plus we still keep all our players to consolidate closer to the deadline for scorer or star if we want.

FVV/Lowry
OG/Norm
Ingram
Siakam
Poetl/Gasol

Maybe we move Norm/TD/Stanley/future first for someone who becomes available in the future.

If Giannis takes the super max this offseason, I can see us making a play for Ingram.

I think will have to pass on Fred, Gasol, and Poetl though; I think there is better options out there than these guys. Was never a fan of Poetl's game to be honest.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,424

Post#598 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:

Well that's the issue with Fred - he's at his best, or rather his skillset lends more to that of an off ball guard.

I've said this in another post but I think Fred might be too limited, both physically and skill-wise, to be a starting PG on a championship caliber squad. He has practically no ability to score inside (post up, floater), struggles to score against size, no midrange game and doesn't really get to the line to shoot free throws. So basically, the bulk of his offense comes from behind the arc. If his shot isn't dropping, he really isn't that useful on that end of the floor.

But he does defend pretty damn well for a player his size. What we have here is essentially a top tier 3&D PG.

That's good and all but I don't think you want to pay north of $20M per for that. Especially when you just maxed out Siakam last year. If I am paying him that, it would be with the intention to trade him.

isyed wrote:I would go hard for 2016 draft RFA hard.

Lowry/1st rounder
FVV/Norm/Davis/Thomas
OG/Watson/Stanley
Ingram/Boucher

FVV/Lowry
OG/Norm
Ingram
Siakam
Poetl/Gasol

I'm a big fan of Ingram. Dude is going to be one of the best SFs in the league in a few years, book it.

But it's just bad basketball acumen to renounce bird rights to go after an RFA. If we renounce bird rights to guys like Vanvleet, Ibaka and NOLA matches (which they would be fools not to), then we can't go over the cap to retain our guys.

Lastly, I can promise you a late first + a resigned Ibaka is not even close to netting you Ingram. I do think that's a interesting package for Holiday. NOLA starters become: Ball/Redick/Ingram/Zion/Ibaka.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,769

Post#599 » by Zeno » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:48 pm

sofargone wrote:would we be interested in welcoming back jakob poetl

I’d love him back but unfortunately he’s a restricted free agent so you’ve got to offer him enough that the Spurs don’t want to match it. Also would be a multi year deal when we are trying to keep cap open in 2021. I don’t think that makes sense at all.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,091

Post#600 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:14 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
I've said this in another post but I think Fred might be too limited, both physically and skill-wise, to be a starting PG on a championship caliber squad. He has practically no ability to score inside (post up, floater), struggles to score against size, no midrange game and doesn't really get to the line to shoot free throws. So basically, the bulk of his offense comes from behind the arc. If his shot isn't dropping, he really isn't that useful on that end of the floor.

But he does defend pretty damn well for a player his size. What we have here is essentially a top tier 3&D PG.

That's good and all but I don't think you want to pay north of $20M per for that. Especially when you just maxed out Siakam last year. If I am paying him that, it would be with the intention to trade him.

Fred was hitting his midrange J's in the series, but desperately needs to develop a floater in the lane. Not having that as an option is killing his TS%, and us as a team. But I'm sure he could that. He looked really good when Lowry was out during the regular season, winning some big games for us.

And Lowry looked good having a legit 2 (usually Norm) at his side when Fred was out, just before the shut down. I hope this isn't going to be a Lowry/Dragic PG controversy that Houston resolved by trading both and putting their hopes in Jeremy Lin. But one of Lowry or Fred definitely have to go. My sense is that it will be Lowry (traded home to Philly in a 3-team deal), leaving us with Fred.

Return to Toronto Raptors