ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,950

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1341 » by leper-con » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 pm

We need major bench help next year.
that and the center position is unpredictable at times./
i'd like another guard who can create his own shot in the 6'4'' range.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,238

Post#1342 » by reload141 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
BillTheGOAT wrote:This draft class may end up being 2006 bad. So should be easier to move up and unload a vet like Hayward (if he opts in) for a rookie on a cost controlled contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we got all the way up to the Warriors pick.

Rumors about them wanting to draft a wing. Avdija perhaps? That guy is going to be a huge bust, worse than Bender bust.

I dont actually think the GSW are that dumb to draft him but its a signal they want out of this crap draft or go way down.

Hayward, 14, one of the late firsts for 2.

Havent checked if they have to send out money or if they got caproom but whatever...

but we'd have to take on Wiggins for salary. Not sure they would do it, and sure we won't. Not sure who we would take at 2. Ball?

Wiseman. Only way I’d move Hayward too would be the chance to move up for him. I’d be willing to eat Wiggins deal to do it too

Gees that salary commitment would be massive with Brown/Kemba/Wiggins/Tatum...
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#1343 » by Homerclease » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:33 pm

reload141 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:but we'd have to take on Wiggins for salary. Not sure they would do it, and sure we won't. Not sure who we would take at 2. Ball?

Wiseman. Only way I’d move Hayward too would be the chance to move up for him. I’d be willing to eat Wiggins deal to do it too

Gees that salary commitment would be massive with Brown/Kemba/Wiggins/Tatum...

My hopes would be that we could put enough lipstick on the pig to make Wiggins look passable and dump him off on someone else, or they bring back amnesty clause due to COVID and they can axe him outright. Probably won’t happen cause of the dollar signs like you say
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,983

Post#1344 » by CelticFaninLBC » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:09 pm

If Cole Anthony is on the board at #14, can't see Ainge passing on a guard who was #3 RSCI ranked in high school.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1345 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:29 pm

I want the Celtics to find a way to pry the #2 pick away from Golden State to select Wiseman. Obviously the Celtics could offer all three of their picks, but it would take more than that. No problem with salary matching since GS has a big TPE.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#1346 » by captain green » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:17 am

]
Curmudgeon wrote:I want the Celtics to find a way to pry the #2 pick away from Golden State to select Wiseman. Obviously the Celtics could offer all three of their picks, but it would take more than that. No problem with salary matching since GS has a big TPE.

I like this idea maybe one of the players we drafted last year my 1st offer would be g.will 14 26 next year's 1st with all intentions of giving them all picks and more players.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,509

Post#1347 » by snowman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:11 am

I don't think Wiseman will go top 3, unless the Hornets take him. If not, he could still be there at 7 for the Pistons. He for sure won't get by them.

I still say the best bet is another wing shooter. This league is wing dominant right now. We have 2 great young wings now, and the jury is still out on Langford. But even if we get Hayward back on his option year or on a reasonable contract, for say 3-4 years, you just know he is going to miss time, and I don't have a ton of faith in Langford ...just yet. I'm coming around to him due to his defense. But it was G. Will that played against the Raps, not Langford.

Seddiq Bey or Aaron Nesmith is the way I think Danny should go. I think Vassell will be gone by the 14th.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#1348 » by Squigglepuffin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:21 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:If Cole Anthony is on the board at #14, can't see Ainge passing on a guard who was #3 RSCI ranked in high school.

If I had to bet my life on it, I would guess Danny will end up drafting Jaden McDaniels. He was ranked high in high school. He's long and athletic. They are all attributes Danny Ainge usually looks for in a player. Danny has a pattern in drafting players.

I wouldn't be surprised if he drafted Cole Anthony, but if I had to put money on it I'd guess he'll pick Jaden McDaniels. I wouldn't hate it if he chose Jaden McDaniels. I could see the logic taking the risk on him even though I don't think he performed very well in college.

I also wouldn't be surprised if he went for Saddiq Bey. He's tough, is a pretty good defender and can clearly shoot the ball. Danny loves toughness, and he also chose Kelly Olynyk due to the fact he could shoot the 3 pretty well, so Saddiq Bey seems like a possibility given Danny's track record.

Personally I don't have a lot of faith in McDaniels or Anthony. I think Saddiq Bey will end up being one of the top 10 players in this draft. It would be extremely unlikely but things would get interesting if Onyeka Okongwu slid to us at 14. There's always a player that slides and Onyeka isn't able to shoot the 3 in a league obsessed with 3 pointers so it wouldn't shock me if he slid.

I do think Jamhi'us Ramsey (depends on his wingspan - ideally has to be at least 6'8" imo) or Jalen Harris could end up being one of the top 5-7 players in this draft though (especially Jamhi'us due to him being one of the youngest players in the draft - again depending on wingspan), and personally one of them is who I'd draft at 14, I don't care what the mock drafts say. If either actually slides into the late first round they'll probably end up being the biggest steal of the draft. I'm legitimately stunned no one at all is talking about Jalen Harris as being worthy of - at the very least - a late first round pick. I look at his ability to create his own shot so well and I just think of Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, or a bigger Isaiah Thomas.

I would be open to drafting Aleksej Pokusevski if his medical checked out. It concerns me that his shoulders aren't level in a lot of team photos I've seen, which begs the question does he have a skeletal abnormality? Is one leg longer than the other? That could be very concerning and I'm surprised no one in any mock draft I've read has mentioned it.

Jalen Smith is someone who could end up being one of the top 7 players of this draft if he can bulk up his legs when he gets to the NBA however his skinny legs concern me a lot due to the fact they could indicate a genetic condition that hasn't been picked up yet by doctors, not to mention the inability to make them bigger limits the amount of support and stability he'll have in the post, making it easier for him to get pushed around. So that really reduces my confidence in him a lot.

This draft is made up of only a few players that could turn out to be legitimately good, and most of them have high bust potential and are super high risk with a medium to high reward (Eg: Okoro).
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#1349 » by Squigglepuffin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:24 am

The Ringer just put out their first 2020 mock draft.

They have us taking Aleksej Pokusevski at 14, Tyler Bey at 26, and Nico Mannion at 30.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/14/21435542/nba-mock-draft
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#1350 » by threrf23 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:33 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:If Cole Anthony is on the board at #14, can't see Ainge passing on a guard who was #3 RSCI ranked in high school.

Yeah. I mean, we missed out on OJ Mayo, Austin Rivers, Shabazz Muhammad just to name a few.

I'm not up on Cole Anthony enough to have a strong opinion, but he fits the profile of a bust on paper. And like the three guys mentioned above, he's a full year old for his class and is top 3 RCSI. Guys who are a year older for their class and consensus top 3, generally they were held back a year or may as well have been held back a year due to either injury or maturity issues. And/or, they simply become full of themselves and don't realize that they aren't as good as they think they are.

For guards, John Wall is something of a best case comparison in that boat. But Cole Anthony isn't John Wall, from what I can gather.

(Cole Anthony did rebound well this season, which is usually a good sign)
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#1351 » by Squigglepuffin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:44 am

threrf23 wrote:

Yeah. I mean, we missed out on OJ Mayo, Austin Rivers, Shabazz Muhammad just to name a few.

I'm not up on Cole Anthony enough to have a strong opinion, but he fits the profile of a bust on paper. And like the three guys mentioned above, he's a full year old for his class and is top 3 RCSI. Guys who are a year older for their class and consensus top 3, generally they were held back a year or may as well have been held back a year due to either injury or maturity issues. And/or, they simply become full of themselves and don't realize that they aren't as good as they think they are.

Exactly.

Also, missing out on Rivers and Muhammad haunts me to this day :D Apparently Danny wanted to draft Austin Rivers. Thankfully he wasn't able to. I think it had more with Danny's obsession with drafting highly ranked high schoolers rather than because he wanted to please Doc.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,573

Post#1352 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:16 am

Kira Lewis Jr would fit in perfectly with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, Langford, Hayward etc.

Allow the Celtics to pass when someone overpays Wanamaker.

Lewis Jr my new binky
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1353 » by snowman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

Exactly.

Also, missing out on Rivers and Muhammad haunts me to this day :D Apparently Danny wanted to draft Austin Rivers. Thankfully he wasn't able to. I think it had more with Danny's obsession with drafting highly ranked high schoolers rather than because he wanted to please Doc.

We actually had Rivers on our roster in 2015. He came to us in the Jeff Green trade that also netted us the Memphis pick this year. We traded him to the Clippers for a future 2nd round pick.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1354 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:48 pm

I think teams will regret passing on Wiseman. He has an excellect shooting stroke, including an unstoppable step back jumper and he also shoots a high percentage from the line. He rebounds, blocks shots and he really runs the floor. He's not a plodding halfcourt big like Embiid. If he develops a three point shot-- which he will-- he's Anthony Davis lite.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#1355 » by Zombiesonics » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:39 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Kira Lewis Jr would fit in perfectly with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, Langford, Hayward etc.

Lewis Jr my new binky

I love his game. He reminds me of a more in control coby white , or if you want to get crazy a bit mike conley.

Here is a good in depth scouting report -- https://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2020/4/4/20987080/2020-nba-draft-kira-lewis-jr-scouting-report
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1356 » by 100proof » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I think teams will regret passing on Wiseman. He has an excellect shooting stroke, including an unstoppable step back jumper and he also shoots a high percentage from the line. He rebounds, blocks shots and he really runs the floor. He's not a plodding halfcourt big like Embiid. If he develops a three point shot-- which he will-- he's Anthony Davis lite.

Would love him as well. Not sure how to get him though. Key I think is finding a buyer for Wiggins.

Hayward and TImelord should easily fetch Wiggins and #2 for Wiseman.

But who takes Wiggins?
Detroit?
Washington?
NYK?

And what is needed to attach to move wiggins, and what comes back?

If, by chance, Detroit would do Wiggins, plus #14 and Romeo for Snell and Rose then I make that deal all day.
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#1357 » by Squigglepuffin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:55 pm

snowman wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
threrf23 wrote:

Exactly.

We actually had Rivers on our roster in 2015. He came to us in the Jeff Green trade that also netted us the Memphis pick this year. We traded him to the Clippers for a future 2nd round pick.

Yes I remember. By that time Danny had realised how bad Rivers was and traded him ASAP. He never put on a Celtics jersey - and I think that was the right decision.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1358 » by snowman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:44 pm

Squigglepuffin wrote:
snowman wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
Exactly.

Yes I remember. By that time Danny had realized how bad Rivers was and traded him ASAP. He never put on a Celtics jersey - and I think that was the right decision.

Well, he's only making 2.1 mil this season, is 25, and avg. 8 pts a game. I would rather have that than Javonte Green.
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#1359 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:35 am

snowman wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
snowman wrote:

Yes I remember. By that time Danny had realized how bad Rivers was and traded him ASAP. He never put on a Celtics jersey - and I think that was the right decision.

Well, he's only making 2.1 mil this season, is 25, and avg. 8 pts a game. I would rather have that than Javonte Green.

I'd rather have Clarkson.
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#1360 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 am

Celts17Pride wrote:Kira Lewis Jr would fit in perfectly with Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, Langford, Hayward etc.

Lewis Jr my new binky

Lewis is the same age a freshman. He's loaded with upside, which is why I expect him going in the top 10.

Return to Boston Celtics