Image ImageImage Image

New Head Coach Mega Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Re: New Head Coach Mega Thread 

Post#641 » by Darius Miles Davis » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:33 am

dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

Billups and Nash were tremendous leaders throughout their careers. I don't think NBA people view Hinrich that way. Hinrich never struck me as a particularly bright player or leader.

Hinrich was a consistently uninspiring interview. It's not a good place to start for a future coach.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#642 » by Red8911 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:03 am

Darius Miles Davis wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Jcool0 wrote:Come on Hinrich was a fan favorite & a good player for the Bulls. Its not just that he was liked by Gar/Pax. We also have Chauncey Billups up for the Pacers job with no coaching experience. Nets just hired Steve Nash with no experience. So experience seems to be overrated. Now i don't see the Bulls going that route. But lets not act like its a crazy one.

Billups and Nash were tremendous leaders throughout their careers. I don't think NBA people view Hinrich that way. Hinrich never struck me as a particularly bright player or leader.

Hinrich was a consistently uninspiring interview. It's not a good place to start for a future coach.

Kirk is actually coaching now at a basketball academy so he at least has some kind of coaching experience and can potentially move up to the NCAA or NBA if he wanted to. With the bulls he has the connections so if he was serious about coaching he would probably eventually get the job.

Some here say that since Gar/Pax are gone that Kirk would never have a chance but they are forgetting the most powerful men on this team who are still here which are the Reinsdorfs. I personally believe that both Kirk and Deng need to be in the bulls organization, they both deserve it after playing for the bulls for so many years. Both very professional as well.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#643 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:38 am

If we're going to hire an experienced coach, I want SVG, if we are going with a current assistant, I want David Vanterpool.

SVG just wins, knows how to use bigs in a modern offense and is just a brilliant basketball mind. He would immediately bring credibility to this organization and command respect from the young players.

Vanterpool is someone who I think is going to be the next great head coach in this league that comes from the assistant coaching ranks. I really like his philosophy and they way seems to really connect with the players on and off the court. He genuinely cares about them as people and I think that is very important in a head coach.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#644 » by dougthonus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:24 am

Red8911 wrote: Kirk is actually coaching now at a basketball academy so he at least has some kind of coaching experience and can potentially move up to the NCAA or NBA if he wanted to. With the bulls he has the connections so if he was serious about coaching he would probably eventually get the job.

Some here say that since Gar/Pax are gone that Kirk would never have a chance but they are forgetting the most powerful men on this team who are still here which are the Reinsdorfs. I personally believe that both Kirk and Deng need to be in the bulls organization, they both deserve it after playing for the bulls for so many years. Both very professional as well.

I think the Bulls would give Kirk a job of some type if he wanted one. I just don't think that job would be head coach unless he does a whole ton of things between now and that moment which make him a viable coaching candidate. I've never even heard of the basketball academy he's at, and as far as I know it isn't an elite one that works regularly with pro prospects. This experience is worse than any job in the NBA or college as a pre-requisite for coaching.

Having interviewed both players several times, I would feel about 10,000x more confident with Luol Deng as a coach than Kirk Hinrich.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
ChiefILL53
Starter
And1: 826

Post#645 » by ChiefILL53 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm

SVG wold be interesting because during games he seems to always have interesting insight.

However, one interesting thing I see some people bring up is Jeff Van Gundy. I think he really likes being in the booth. While I personally dont like some of his takes (no idea if that really factors into me liking him at all), has anyone heard about him actually being interesting in going back to coaching?
jc23 wrote:Goran + Lonzo + Zach = the Dragon Ball Z line up.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#646 » by gardenofsound » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:44 pm

ChiefILL53 wrote:SVG wold be interesting because during games he seems to always have interesting insight.

However, one interesting thing I see some people bring up is Jeff Van Gundy. I think he really likes being in the booth. While I personally dont like some of his takes (no idea if that really factors into me liking him at all), has anyone heard about him actually being interesting in going back to coaching?

IDK... lots of smoke around him and the Rockets.

I do know for sure that JVG would be persona non grata at the Advocate Center given some of the things he's said about the Bulls (during the lead up to Thibs' firing). Maybe he's okay with the Reinsdorfs? With how loyal they are (and with Pax still in the org), I think they'd still be salty about it.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#647 » by StunnerKO » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#648 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:39 pm

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

2 of the 3 better be Nate McMillan and Billy Donovan. I guess the real question is, would they want to even coach here.

The candidate pool is too rich to hire a rookie HC, imo.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#649 » by kodo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 pm

Someone like Donovan may not be on the short list because the two parties could be far apart on money. He was very highly paid in OKC and I assume he didn't leave expecting a paycut.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,413

Post#650 » by ImSlower » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Will the final three choices be leaked to the public? We've seen a fair amount of articles promising that the Bulls 'have interest' in guys, but I'd be hard pressed to guess the three at this point. Heck, even the ratio interests me. WIll they interview two rooks and one vet? Vice versa? All three un-established talent?
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#651 » by gardenofsound » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:35 pm

I really, truly, strongly hope they wait until tonight's game is over. If the Nuggets win tonight, I expect Glenn Rivers to be added to the list of available coaches. He would be a grand slam home run hire.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#652 » by Red8911 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Are they really that indecisive over which coach they want? Bringing back 3 for a final interview, what is this? The way AK talks and works it’s like he just read a how to be a gm 101 book and is following every step.
gardenofsound
Starter

Post#653 » by gardenofsound » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Red8911 wrote:Are they really that indecisive over which coach they want? Bringing back 3 for a final interview, what is this? The way AK talks and works it’s like he just read a how to be a gm 101 book and is following every step.

At least it isn't a predetermined hire from Iowa State University. What's the big hurry anyways?
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Post#654 » by Evil_Headband » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Red8911 wrote:Are they really that indecisive over which coach they want? Bringing back 3 for a final interview, what is this? The way AK talks and works it’s like he just read a how to be a gm 101 book and is following every step.

Indecisive or careful and thorough?
TheHrvReport
Bench Warmer
And1: 798

Post#655 » by TheHrvReport » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

2 of the 3 better be Nate McMillan and Billy Donovan. I guess the real question is, would they want to even coach here.

The candidate pool is too rich to hire a rookie HC, imo.

Bring them physically in? Which candidates does that exclude then? Dan Craig for sure
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#656 » by MrSparkle » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:41 pm

For everyone who wanted AK hire a coach so fast, didn't it sure make sense to wait and see who becomes available? Now you've got McMillan, D'Antoni and Donovan on the market, and Nash took one of the big openings, meaning there's gonna be HC surplus of options, which is always a great thing.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#657 » by transplant » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Hey, I understand that we all like to think that we have the right answer to the head coaching question, but the right head coach is whoever Karnisovas/Eversley really want. You'd have to pretty stupid to believe that they'll make a decision before a candidate they really want becomes available. Patience lads, they'll get someone they like a whole lot.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,009

Post#658 » by bennjuiced34 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 pm

Karnisovas and Eversley have like an 8 deep candidate pool and are doing 2nd round interviews with the finalists while keeping all the leaks plugged.

That screams 'professional and thorough' to me more than anything. There's a thirst for info with Bulls fans and it's making people impatient that there's no news. There's literally nothing out there from the Bulls end about what they're thinking or who they're targeting.

I'll choose to sit back and see how it plays out.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#659 » by Dez » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:35 pm

How is this being indecisive? It's been standard process that every uses.
rmlsr
Freshman
And1: 32

Post#660 » by rmlsr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 am

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Finally I can see the end of this search. Lol

Return to Chicago Bulls