ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Draft Thread, Part 2

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Re: 2020 Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#61 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:10 pm

Little Digger wrote:Man I sure hope there’s somebody at #2 one of these goofball front offices fall in love with

#3 to Charlotte is a great landing spot for either Wiseman or Ball. Which means if someone falls in love with one of them they'll come calling. My guess is we'll sell the pick to one of Detroit or New York to select Ball for less than the #2 pick would typically sell for and that's okay.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#62 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:33 pm

Onus wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Onus wrote:If you don’t like smallball then you have to get rid of Draymond because he’s a midget for his position and his best spot is as a center because he can’t score.

We need draymond, he is the only player on the roster that I feel fits the modern game defensively at a high level.

I agree. Draymond is essentially our bam or their bam is our Draymond only Draymond is 6’5” while bam is 6’9”. We’ll always be small until Draymond is moved.

That is why we need another elite defender or more versatile defenders. Before, we had good rim protection with bogut and elite perimeter defender in iguodala. And when we lost bogut, we had KD who while not regarded as elite defensively, filled a lot of holes due to his versatility. Also livingston was a quality defender who can guard multiple positions.

Now, we have wiggins, who by all intents and purposes is a clear downgrade from either of iguodala or KD, and we have below average rim protection without a bogut or mcgee. And we also don't have that other versatile guard defender in livingston.

So we went from Bogut, Dray, Iguodala, HB, Livingston, Klay
to
Mcgee, Dray, KD, Iguodala, Livingston, Klay, Looney
to
Looney, Dray, Wiggins, Klay - They lost one of the league's most versatile defensive combos in KD/iguodala/Livingston and now we also don't have quality rim protection to make up for it.

The drop off is in the other defensive personnel.. draymond being undersized for his positions was never the issue. Now, if by lacking all these other defensive pieces that now draymond's lack of size becomes an issue, its going to be an interesting dilema.
Mav_Carter
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#63 » by Mav_Carter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:36 am

My favorite trade is to swap picks with Detroit and get Luke Kennard...with the 7th pick we get Patrick Williams...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#64 » by Onus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
Onus wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
We need draymond, he is the only player on the roster that I feel fits the modern game defensively at a high level.

I agree. Draymond is essentially our bam or their bam is our Draymond only Draymond is 6’5” while bam is 6’9”. We’ll always be small until Draymond is moved.

That is why we need another elite defender or more versatile defenders. Before, we had good rim protection with bogut and elite perimeter defender in iguodala. And when we lost bogut, we had KD who while not regarded as elite defensively, filled a lot of holes due to his versatility. Also livingston was a quality defender who can guard multiple positions.

Now, we have wiggins, who by all intents and purposes is a clear downgrade from either of iguodala or KD, and we have below average rim protection without a bogut or mcgee. And we also don't have that other versatile guard defender in livingston.

So we went from Bogut, Dray, Iguodala, HB, Livingston, Klay
to
Mcgee, Dray, KD, Iguodala, Livingston, Klay, Looney
to
Looney, Dray, Wiggins, Klay - They lost one of the league's most versatile defensive combos in KD/iguodala/Livingston and now we also don't have quality rim protection to make up for it.

The drop off is in the other defensive personnel.. draymond being undersized for his positions was never the issue. Now, if by lacking all these other defensive pieces that now draymond's lack of size becomes an issue, its going to be an interesting dilema.

This was our biggest problem at the beginning of the year when we were getting blown the **** out was that our defense was the worst ever. Curry, DLo, gr3, draymond, Chriss couldn’t stop anyone to save their lives.

Next year with curry, klay, Wiggins, dray, Chriss we should give us a chance without getting blown out. But versatile defenders will be very helpful as Poole, pascal, bender, lee are not impactful defenders at all.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,405

Post#65 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:57 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
Onus wrote:
ShayDee wrote:
Small ball also worked to an extent because we had 3 people that could almost switch to all 5 positions. Dray, Iguodala and KD while KD being a capable rim protector and defender against the bigger wings like Kawhi and Lebron and some Cs. We do not have 2 of those players and Draymond is 3 years older so how is small ball going to work with this unproven new iteration of the team? I guess we would find out if Deni is the pick

If you don’t like smallball then you have to get rid of Draymond because he’s a midget for his position and his best spot is as a center because he can’t score.

The Bam = Draymond comparisons are silly. Bam is much bigger hence...improvement!??

It seems no one really appreciates Draymond appropriately. He RUNS THE BREAK. He is a great passer. He SEEs the floor. He's probably got a top 5 Defensive AND Offensive basketball IQ. He's won all defensive player of the year and could have got it a couple of other times. He's a very solid finisher at the rim and has shown over time that he can hit BIG 3 pointers when Warriors need them.

He plays his ass off...hustles...makes guys like AD look silly as he strips them to win games.

Bam...is awesome (apparently) for what he does....but he's no Draymond Green. Draymond (and can we forget last year folks...that year was an OFF year for all the starters...injured or not) is a high level all-star, proven winner, leader. And he's a super alpha, which we really don't have on this team otherwise.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#66 » by Little Digger » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:12 am

You don’t get any higher b-ball IQ than Green and BAM13..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#67 » by jason bourne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:56 am

According to the Ringer...

The Ws will select a wing in the draft. That means Anthony Edwards if he's still on the board. If not...

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/9/14/21435542/nba-mock-draft

This isn't bad if the Warriors can't trade down. Sure, we wanted to see a trade down to get an impact player like Joel Embiid or Marcus Smart and a pick, but it takes two to tango. Or is it better to take LaMelo and hope to trade later?

What I don't like is the Warriors may be drafting for need and not the BPA.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#68 » by GQ Hot Dog » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 am

Here's my draft crush #2, Naji Marshall from Xavier:

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
northoakland510
Starter
And1: 607

Post#69 » by northoakland510 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:27 pm

jason bourne wrote:According to the Ringer...

The Ws will select a wing in the draft. That means Anthony Edwards if he's still on the board. If not...

This isn't bad if the Warriors can't trade down. Sure, we wanted to see a trade down to get an impact player like Joel Embiid or Marcus Smart and a pick, but it takes two to tango. Or is it better to take LaMelo and hope to trade later?

Watching Denver and the Lakers the Warriors will need a mobile big.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#70 » by Mylie10 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm

This video has Wiseman on the perimeter with a little guy on him. My question is this....When have you ever seen Deandre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside ever put it on the floor like this?

Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#71 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:According to the Ringer...

Watching Denver and the Lakers the Warriors will need a mobile big.

The Warriors need both. I don't see how they get both without trading Wiggins. If you add Covington, Crowder, Ibaka at the same time , you get a team which is like 2019 Toronto or 2020 Miami on steroids. If they don't get a star, I think this is the way to be the favorite. To form such a team it would be best to trade down.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,894

Post#72 » by whatisacenter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Mylie10 wrote:This video has Wiseman on the perimeter with a little guy on him. My question is this....When have you ever seen Deandre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside ever put it on the floor like this?

I have never seen Jordan and Whiteside in an open gym environment only in the NBA. Maybe they can, maybe they can't?

I like Wiseman but these instavideos don't mean a lot to me.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#73 » by Onus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Confirmed Mitchell Robinson is going to be the next giannis
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#74 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:04 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:This video has Wiseman on the perimeter with a little guy on him. My question is this....When have you ever seen Deandre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside ever put it on the floor like this?

I have never seen Jordan and Whiteside in an open gym environment only in the NBA. Maybe they can, maybe they can't?

Against non-pros in a scrimmage? Come on, man.. You know players will do things outside of what they’re going to be known for doing or expected. I would like to see him go up against Patrick Beverly or Rob Covington trying to pull that off in a real game.

Biedrins knocked down 8-10 FTs in a row in practice a couple times. Looney shot and made 3s like it was nothing in practice before. But, have you ever seen them do it consistently and/or successfully during a real game? Don’t think so.

This is nothing to rave about. But, I’ll say if he wants to add that to his arsenal of offensive skills, work on it. But, the coaching staffs will tell him to stick to his strengths and tell him to not look like a fool doing something he’s not accustomed to doing.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#75 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:10 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
Mcgee had a ton of flaws..inconsistent defensively, low bball iq, no jumper or post moves to speak of, somewhat low motor. He was just an athletic freak with decent touch around the basket. He filled a hole, nothing more, but was really effective in limited minutes.

I know he had his flaws, but in those limited minutes it worked well. Definitely could have used him in the finals against Toronto where our undersized big's couldn't protect the rim.

Yea I agree he would have helped. The threat for lobs and put backs would have been better than a limited cousins. Also cousins was a ball stopper and turnover machine. Mcgee playing those minutes wpuld mean a more fluid offense.

Now imagine a souped up version who can stay on the floor for 30 min a night

The issue I have with the overhyping of Wiseman is people just assuming he'll be better as a rookie than prime Javale was. It took Javale eight years to get to the point where he was capable of playing minutes on a contender. He played meaningful minutes for Denver when he was a younger, but he was exploitable and Karl didn't trust him all that much. It took one of the most athletic 7 footers to ever walk this planet nearly a decade to figure out how to play within himself and not get burned too often on defense. And even then, Kerr only felt comfortable giving Javale 10 minutes a game. Those minutes decreased in the playoffs too.

Javale is a pretty smart guy by all accounts. His basketball IQ can be spotty, but he's definitely not a moron. I'm sure Wiseman isn't a moron either, but the videos of I've seen of his college games don't scream high basketball IQ. The only game he played against decent competition was against Oregon and the game tape has several instances of Wiseman making terrible defensive reads on how high to hedge and how to properly rotate. That's against college level guards. You really think a rookie Wiseman is going to be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs? Luka, Harden, Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Paul George, Khawi, Lebron, Ja Morant, Lillard, Chris Paul, SGA... you'll have to face one of those guys in any playoff series in the West and they're going to attack Wiseman and he'll be lucky to play 15 minutes a game in the playoffs as a rookie. He sure as hell won't be sniffing the floor in crunch time.

If you want to take Wiseman, you have to be honest with yourself and recognize he's going to be a project. That project could be interesting -- he's massive, he's a fluid athlete, and he seems to be pretty skilled at shooting and handling for a guy his size -- but nothing in his past screams NBA ready outside of his body. You draft Wiseman and you'll need another vet C in the rotation. Looney is awesome when he's healthy, but he's not cut out for bruising with the more tanky C's. I like Chriss and am intrigued by watching his development play out, but he's not a bruiser either. You're not going to have your biggest and beefiest C be a rookie. That just doesn't work when you might have to go up against Jokic or Anthony Davis deep in the playoffs.

Wiseman could be interesting, but I do not for the life of me understand how people on this board have talked themselves into the idea that he'll be a souped up Javale or the equivalent of a present day DeAndre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside as a rookie. All of those guys took years to get to the point where they were useful players on winning teams. If you want to compare Wiseman to bigs who were drafted higher like Ayton, Towns, or Davis, well even those guys weren't good defenders as a rookies. It took Davis two years for his defensive impact to match up with the counting stats. Towns still sucks on defense and he's a pretty good athlete and highly skilled player. Ayton only just started to figure it out defensively in the bubble.

Y'all gotta chill with the Wiseman hype.
northoakland510
Starter

Post#76 » by northoakland510 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
I know he had his flaws, but in those limited minutes it worked well. Definitely could have used him in the finals against Toronto where our undersized big's couldn't protect the rim.

Yea I agree he would have helped. The threat for lobs and put backs would have been better than a limited cousins. Also cousins was a ball stopper and turnover machine. Mcgee playing those minutes wpuld mean a more fluid offense.

The issue I have with the overhyping of Wiseman is people just assuming he'll be better as a rookie than prime Javale was. It took Javale eight years to get to the point where he was capable of playing minutes on a contender. He played meaningful minutes for Denver when he was a younger, but he was exploitable and Karl didn't trust him all that much. It took one of the most athletic 7 footers to ever walk this planet nearly a decade to figure out how to play within himself and not get burned too often offense. And even then, Kerr only felt comfortable giving Javale 10 minutes a game. Those minutes decreased in the playoffs too.

Javale is a pretty smart guy by all accounts. His basketball IQ can be spotty, but he's definitely not a moron. I'm sure Wiseman isn't a moron either, but the videos of I've seen of his college games don't scream high basketball IQ. The only game he played against decent competition was against Oregon and the game tape has several instances of Wiseman making terrible defensive reads on how high to hedge and how to properly rotate. That's against college level guards. You really think a rookie Wiseman is going to be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs? Luka, Harden, Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Paul George, Khawi, Lebron, Ja Morant, Lillard, Chris Paul, SGA... you'll have to face one of those guys in any playoff series in the West and they're going to attack Wiseman and he'll be lucky to play 15 minutes a game in the playoffs as a rookie. He sure as hell won't be sniffing the floor in crunch time.

If you want to take Wiseman, you have to be honest with yourself and recognize he's going to be a project. That project could be interesting -- he's massive, he's a fluid athlete, and he seems to be pretty skilled at shooting and handling for a guy his size -- but nothing in his past screams NBA ready outside of his body. You draft Wiseman and you'll need another vet C in the rotation. Looney is awesome when he's healthy, but he's not cut out for bruising with the more tanky C's. I like Chriss and am intrigued by watching his development play out, but he's not a bruiser either. You're not going to have your biggest and beefiest C be a rookie. That just doesn't work when you might have to go up against Jokic or Anthony Davis deep in the playoffs.

Wiseman could be interesting, but I do not for the life of me understand how people on this board have talked themselves into the idea that he'll be a souped up Javale or the equivalent of a present day DeAndre Jordan or Hassan Whiteside as a rookie. All of those guys took years to get to the point where they were useful players on winning teams. If you want to compare Wiseman to bigs who were drafted higher like Ayton, Towns, or Davis, well even those guys weren't good defenders as a rookies. It took Davis two years for his defensive impact to match up with the counting stats. Towns still sucks on defense and he's a pretty good athlete and highly skilled player. Ayton only just started to figure it out defensively in the bubble.

I am just looking at this draft and not understanding the hype around some of the players. We are looking at the western conference playoffs and see the Warriors will need size. Yet people keep saying draft the 6'5 guard, and if not him now they are hyping the Deni kid. I listened to Wes Goldberg say the dude shoots like 56% from the free throw line and doesn't really know if his shot will get better, but we should draft him or his play making. Why draft a white Draymond? Maybe I listen to too many podcast, but if I hear Gasol is the answer one more time I will flip.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

The issue I have with the overhyping of Wiseman is people just assuming he'll be better as a rookie than prime Javale was. It took Javale eight years to get to the point where he was capable of playing minutes on a contender. He played meaningful minutes for Denver when he was a younger, but he was exploitable and Karl didn't trust him all that much. It took one of the most athletic 7 footers to ever walk this planet nearly a decade to figure out how to play within himself and not get burned too often offense. And even then, Kerr only felt comfortable giving Javale 10 minutes a game. Those minutes decreased in the playoffs too.

I am just looking at this draft and not understanding the hype around some of the players. We are looking at the western conference playoffs and see the Warriors will need size. Yet people keep saying draft the 6'5 guard, and if not him now they are hyping the Deni kid. I listened to Wes Goldberg say the dude shoots like 56% from the free throw line and doesn't really know if his shot will get better, but we should draft him or his play making. Why draft a white Draymond? Maybe I listen to too many podcast, but if I hear Gasol is the answer one more time I will flip.

You can get size cheap in free agency that will be more impactful than Wiseman will be this year. Gasol, even in his old age, will be a better defender than Wiseman and he's a brilliant passer and passable three point shooter. Same goes for Baynes. You can give MLE money to Jakob Poetl or Miles Plumlee and get more productivity and reliable playoff level defense out of either one of those guys than Wiseman in his rookie year.

Deni is interesting, but the free throw shooting is a valid concern. It's rare someone with that low a free throw shooting percentage becomes a knock down shooter. I'm not wild about anyone in the draft, but I do believe that the wings and guards in this draft are more likely to be useful off the bat than Wiseman will be. And some of them you can get while trading down and picking up a valuable asset and preserving the MLE for a big or 3/4, whichever you don't get in the trade down scenario.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#78 » by jason bourne » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:38 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

Did Wiseman dunk over a woman player?
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
northoakland510
Starter

Post#79 » by northoakland510 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:

You can get size cheap in free agency that will be more impactful than Wiseman will be this year. Gasol, even in his old age, will be a better defender than Wiseman and he's a brilliant passer and passable three point shooter. Same goes for Baynes. You can give MLE money to Jakob Poetl or Miles Plumlee and get more productivity and reliable playoff level defense out of either one of those guys than Wiseman in his rookie year.

Deni is interesting, but the free throw shooting is a valid concern. It's rare someone with that low a free throw shooting percentage becomes a knock down shooter. I'm not wild about anyone in the draft, but I do believe that the wings and guards in this draft are more likely to be useful off the bat than Wiseman will be. And some of them you can get while trading down and picking up a valuable asset and preserving the MLE for a big or 3/4, whichever you don't get in the trade down scenario.

Gasol looked about done, he will have to come dirt cheap. I still do not think you pass up on a talent like Wiseman to get a veteran big man. The Warriors have to eventually develop a big and there is one at the top of the draft. Cheap size is nice and all but they will be one year rentals. I just feel like we will use the #2 pick like we used the late round picks and end up with a role player with no real upside.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by Warriors Analyst » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:56 pm

northoakland510 wrote:
Warriors Analyst wrote:
northoakland510 wrote:

Gasol looked about done, he will have to come dirt cheap. I still do not think you pass up on a talent like Wiseman to get a veteran big man. The Warriors have to eventually develop a big and there is one at the top of the draft. Cheap size is nice and all but they will be one year rentals. I just feel like we will use the #2 pick like we used the late round picks and end up with a role player with no real upside.

Wiseman won't be useful next year in the playoffs. If you want to a win championship next year, you have to plan for the fact that it will be a miracle if Wiseman is able to play crunch time minutes. He's a project at this point. We are developing two bigs right now: Chriss and Smailagic. I think Smailagic is likely to ended up a wasted roster spot and I'd almost prefer he becomes part of a trade for an NBA ready player, but my point stands.

Size is cheap in the NBA right now. Kanter, Baynes, Looney all signed for about $5 million last year. DeAndre is getting $10 million a year and he's considered overpaid. Whiteside is making $22 million a year right and I don't think he'll get more than the MLE this year. The only guys worth paying more than $10 million a year are bigs who can play defense and shoot threes. The mid tier has some guys like Turner, Valicunas, Ibaka, and Gasol (although he has fallen off some). The high level tier is AD, Embiid, Porzingis, Towns, Jokic.

I just don't see Wiseman being as good as the mid-tier of Turner/Valicunas until at least his third year in the league, which means you still need another big C until then, which means we also probably can't use the MLE on a big wing, which should be a much bigger priority for this team. If you really want to develop a project big, you can still find interesting ones in the back of the draft. Mitchell Robinson was near the end of the first round. So was Gobert. Jokic was a second round pick. Whiteside was too. Robert Williams in Boston was drafted 27. Brandon Clarke in Memphis was drafted at the 21st pick. If you want to take a flier on a big, don't do it at the top of the draft unless they look to be generationally talented like Emiid or Towns or AD.

Look at the last teams standing right now and their bigs: Harrell was the 32nd pick in the draft. Zubac was the 32nd pick in the draft. Daniel Theiss is 6'8 and undrafted out of the German leagues. Robert Williams was the 27th pick in the draft. Kanter was the 4th pick in 2011 and he's unplayable on defense and only makes MLE money. Javale took 8 eight years to figure out how to play on winning teams. AD is an anomaly. Dwight just got excised from the rotation against Houston. Houston didn't have bigs. Miami has Bam and he went #14 overall. He had way better feel for the game than Wiseman did and is more comparable to Okungwu. Jokic was a second round pick. Mason Plumlee was the 22nd pick. Not one of those guys, save for Theiss and Adebayo to a lesser extent, came into the league ready to plug and play in the playoffs. Every single one of them took years to develop. We don't have that luxury at the C spot right now.

Return to Golden State Warriors