ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread *UPDATES*

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Official Toronto Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#81 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Harry Giles is a favorite target for a lot of Raptors fans.

The appeal is that he might be a top 3 passing big in the league already. Giles can make live dribble passes that only Jokic and Draymond and maybe Bam can do right now.

He's improved every year as a mid-range shooter and might be able to extend out to 3 in a season or 2. He's got some post moves and decent hops/length. High motor and pretty smart cutter and only 22. Giles was the #1 player in his class before all the knee injuries and you can see the talent there still.

Drawbacks.

Currently bad defender (but i think smart enough to be good one day), undersized (needs to bulk up a little IMO) and not very quick or bouncy on account of the ACL tears.

I think if you bring him in on a 2-3 year deal, we can turn him into a good starting C (especially if you can get Marc to mentor him for one season). Its similar to the Kawhi gamble just a little more extreme where you take a great talent and hope your staff can rehab him.

I think the potential of Giles with our current core would be a pretty great fit and def worth the target.

Probably like 3yr/16M last year not fully guaranteed type contract.

Yup. I think we could probably get him even cheaper than that.

cheaper the better tbh. but i think he will have a couple team going for him i think. Boston might be one. idk if id be willing to get in a bidding war though
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,256

Post#82 » by Raptorfan2012 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:18 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Harry Giles is a favorite target for a lot of Raptors fans.

The appeal is that he might be a top 3 passing big in the league already. Giles can make live dribble passes that only Jokic and Draymond and maybe Bam can do right now.

He's improved every year as a mid-range shooter and might be able to extend out to 3 in a season or 2. He's got some post moves and decent hops/length. High motor and pretty smart cutter and only 22. Giles was the #1 player in his class before all the knee injuries and you can see the talent there still.

Drawbacks.

Currently bad defender (but i think smart enough to be good one day), undersized (needs to bulk up a little IMO) and not very quick or bouncy on account of the ACL tears.

I think if you bring him in on a 2-3 year deal, we can turn him into a good starting C (especially if you can get Marc to mentor him for one season). Its similar to the Kawhi gamble just a little more extreme where you take a great talent and hope your staff can rehab him.

I think the potential of Giles with our current core would be a pretty great fit and def worth the target.

Probably like 3yr/16M last year not fully guaranteed type contract.

Yup. I think we could probably get him even cheaper than that.

cheaper the better tbh. but i think he will have a couple team going for him i think. Boston might be one. idk if id be willing to get in a bidding war though

Depends on whether Ibaka and/or Gasol are back. Assuming neither return, we have some money to spend on bigs. Say we budgeted $15 mill for Ibaka and he says no, we can bring in someone like TT for $8-10M, and someone like Giles for $5-7 mill.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,891

Post#83 » by ItsDanger » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:58 pm

Once a player hits 25, he should be taking his profession a lot more seriously. No excuses. Watching Oshae's vlog a bit on YT, my impression is not a good one of the team in general (Yes, its not a great example but you can get a great indication). I know people older than them with families, full time jobs, who work harder than these dudes. I don't want to hear the BS. Prove it. You have 3 months off again, all the resources you need to improve your games. Get off your ass and work. Focus on skills and video only.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#84 » by HomieOmey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:19 pm

lebron stopper wrote:I really like the idea of trading for Jrue Holiday - he is just so good on both ends, even if he doesn't get mentioned often. As for trading for Victor Oladipo, I doubt he will ever be the awesome player that we saw in 2017-18 after his quad injury, but I think it's worth the risk regardless.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jrue too. I'd happily welcome a trade for him.

But guys like Gasol, Conley, and Robert Covington make me nervous. All three were considered completely underrated with the possibility of doing more elsewhere, but getting traded to three better teams did not make any one of the three look better. I strongly believe this team was beyond blessed by the combined presence/IQ of Gasol/Kawhi/Green, but Gasol definitely gave us much less offensively than we ever could have guessed - despite racking up a few trip doubles the same season he moved to Toronto.

Jrue has seen very little success thus far in his career. I'd be a bit hesitant to offer too much, as great as he's always looked to me on both sides of the court.
TurboZ
HomieOmey
Head Coach
And1: 563

Post#85 » by HomieOmey » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:24 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
nabbs wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Masai might just re-sign Ibaka and Gasol to 1 yr deals, re-sign VanVleet if it's reasonable, and add a piece or two to the existing squad and run it back.

I think both are gone (Gasol, Ibaka).

Yeah, really curious to see what he does at C and SG if VanVleet isn't re-signed.

If both walk, I can see us giving Jakob a call. Despite some solid D, he never really got a chance with the Spurs. Don't think he earned himself a huge pay day, so could end up being a huge bargain too. We already know him and Siakm loved playing together.
TurboZ
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#86 » by nabbs » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:26 pm

HomieOmey wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:
nabbs wrote:

I think both are gone (Gasol, Ibaka).

Yeah, really curious to see what he does at C and SG if VanVleet isn't re-signed.

If both walk, I can see us giving Jakob a call. Despite some solid D, he never really got a chance with the Spurs. Don't think he earned himself a huge pay day, so could end up being a huge bargain too. We already know him and Siakm loved playing together.

Baynes, Plumlee, Giles, Favours.

Some combo of that for our centre rotation.

Thinking about it more though, given the cap, Ibaka and Gasol may re-up for 1 more year

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
ballislife89
Sophomore
And1: 102

Re: Official Raptors Offseason Thread 

Post#87 » by ballislife89 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:28 pm

dgr81 wrote:Serge will be back on a one year deal. Don't really see anyone else paying him.

Marc is done.

I think if the raps are not in contention by the trade deadline next year, you trade kyle to a contender.

Agreed with Serge, agreed with Marc. I doubt Lowry is going anywhere. I think he'll wait and see what happens with the summer of Giannis 2021 and if we don't get Giannis, Kyle retires. If we do sign Giannis Kyle re signs on a 2 year mid.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,415

Post#88 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:02 pm

HomieOmey wrote:
lebron stopper wrote:I really like the idea of trading for Jrue Holiday - he is just so good on both ends, even if he doesn't get mentioned often. As for trading for Victor Oladipo, I doubt he will ever be the awesome player that we saw in 2017-18 after his quad injury, but I think it's worth the risk regardless.

But guys like Gasol, Conley, and Robert Covington make me nervous. All three were considered completely underrated with the possibility of doing more elsewhere, but getting traded to three better teams did not make any one of the three look better. I strongly believe this team was beyond blessed by the combined presence/IQ of Gasol/Kawhi/Green, but Gasol definitely gave us much less offensively than we ever could have guessed - despite racking up a few trip doubles the same season he moved to Toronto.

Jrue has seen very little success thus far in his career. I'd be a bit hesitant to offer too much, as great as he's always looked to me on both sides of the court.

I'm not worried about that at all. Obviously it comes down to price but if FVV leaves in FA, we're gonna need a long term solution at PG and I like Holiday.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#89 » by HeadtopChunes » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:58 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
HomieOmey wrote:

I'm not worried about that at all. Obviously it comes down to price but if FVV leaves in FA, we're gonna need a long term solution at PG and I like Holiday.

I don't think Jrue is a PG, ( i don't think Jrue thinks Jrue is a PG either)

He has the same deficiencies from running the point that Fred does, where he's really not a great decision-maker with the ball in his hands so he needs another guard to share the ballhandling load with
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#90 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:27 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
HomieOmey wrote:

I don't think Jrue is a PG, ( i don't think Jrue thinks Jrue is a PG either)

He has the same deficiencies from running the point that Fred does, where he's really not a great decision-maker with the ball in his hands so he needs another guard to share the ballhandling load with

If he comes at a reasonable cost, I'd take him and worry about the rest later.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#91 » by polo007 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:40 am

Bryan Hayes, Jamie McLennan and Jeff O’Neill are joined by TSN Basketball Insider Jack Armstrong to get his take on what the future is for some of the Raptors major free-agent players.
Rapsfan07
RealGM

Post#92 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:02 pm

polo007 wrote:
Bryan Hayes, Jamie McLennan and Jeff O’Neill are joined by TSN Basketball Insider Jack Armstrong to get his take on what the future is for some of the Raptors major free-agent players.

If Vanvleet isn't taking $15M per then its better to sign and trade him. I really don't want to waste time with one year deal for Ibaka either. This team needs a C for the present and future and I don't think its worth the risk for Ibaka to not cash in on what has been the greatest couple of years in his career. The only way you bring back Ibaka and Vanvleet is if they're signing reasonably priced deals AND the intent is to trade them.

Marc is done and if we're going to try to keep him on a cheap deal, we would be better served making that offer to Giles, Noel or Hernangomez. Really, the only thing I'd be offering Gasol is the veterans minimum as a third string C.

I really, really think we should be exploring the trade market seriously for Turner, Oladipo and Holiday.

I'd also think really hard about that TOR-GSW-PHI deal. We aren't going to get more than that for Lowry, he gets to finish his career at home and we have a pick and scoring wing to help us through the rebuild OR to be traded for the next available superstar.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#93 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Ryan Mcdonough (former assistant GM Of Boston & Suns GM) and Howard Beck talk about Giannis and why Toronto may have the best shot at landing him next year for a segment on the Full 48 podcast
Yeezy SZN approaching
akaFlip
Pro Prospect
And1: 169

Post#94 » by akaFlip » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:19 pm

Remember last off-season with all the insider news, where is all that now?!
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#95 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:21 pm

akaFlip wrote:Remember last off-season with all the insider news, where is all that now?!

there's the same amount of actual insider news this season too lol
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#96 » by nabbs » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:27 pm

akaFlip wrote:Remember last off-season with all the insider news, where is all that now?!

I don't think teams, agents and anyone else that knows anything will leak anything to the media until a cap figure is settled. It's more important than any other year to get the number right imo. Once the cap and season start date can be reasonably agreed to, you'll start hearing stuff.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#97 » by wtcantfw » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:30 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Once a player hits 25, he should be taking his profession a lot more seriously. No excuses. Watching Oshae's vlog a bit on YT, my impression is not a good one of the team in general (Yes, its not a great example but you can get a great indication). I know people older than them with families, full time jobs, who work harder than these dudes. I don't want to hear the BS. Prove it. You have 3 months off again, all the resources you need to improve your games. Get off your ass and work. Focus on skills and video only.

Sorry, who exactly are you talking about here?
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,256

Post#98 » by Raptorfan2012 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
polo007 wrote:

If Vanvleet isn't taking $15M per then its better to sign and trade him. I really don't want to waste time with one year deal for Ibaka either. This team needs a C for the present and future and I don't think its worth the risk for Ibaka to not cash in on what has been the greatest couple of years in his career. The only way you bring back Ibaka and Vanvleet is if they're signing reasonably priced deals AND the intent is to trade them.

Marc is done and if we're going to try to keep him on a cheap deal, we would be better served making that offer to Giles, Noel or Hernangomez. Really, the only thing I'd be offering Gasol is the veterans minimum as a third string C.

I really, really think we should be exploring the trade market seriously for Turner, Oladipo and Holiday.

I'd also think really hard about that TOR-GSW-PHI deal. We aren't going to get more than that for Lowry, he gets to finish his career at home and we have a pick and scoring wing to help us through the rebuild OR to be traded for the next available superstar.

Problem is we don't have a lot of assets to trade right now with half our team heading into FA. Our most valuable piece is OG, and I don't see him going anywhere. Pascal is probably not movable right now. Our main assets are Norm and Lowry - and one will have to think twice about moving Lowry though. SJ and McCaw can be salary fillers, but they are not the main attraction.

Sign and Trades are difficult as there are many variables involved. Will Fred or Ibaka want to sign with Indiana or New Orleans? I don't know...
Yeezus_
RealGM

Post#99 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:47 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Once a player hits 25, he should be taking his profession a lot more seriously. No excuses. Watching Oshae's vlog a bit on YT, my impression is not a good one of the team in general (Yes, its not a great example but you can get a great indication). I know people older than them with families, full time jobs, who work harder than these dudes. I don't want to hear the BS. Prove it. You have 3 months off again, all the resources you need to improve your games. Get off your ass and work. Focus on skills and video only.

You think they are working out and working on their game 24/7? They are humans and need breaks too. No one is in the gym the entire day and night. All athletes have some free time on their hands and they all spend it differently. This is a stupid way to critique a player when you have no information on how hard he works.

Lebron is out here doing shows, movies ect. He works super hard.

Stop treating athletes like that.
Yeezy SZN approaching
Yeezus_
RealGM

Post#100 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:48 pm

Oshae makes some vlogs and now he doesnt work hard enough? Yall dudes just be typing nonsense sometimes.
Yeezy SZN approaching

Return to Toronto Raptors