ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Re: Official Speculation Thread '19-'20 V: Purgatory 

Post#1621 » by Mc-o » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:06 am

Skin wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
zaymon wrote:For me its not confusing at all. We are obviously prioritizing development of Fultz, Isaac and Bamba while surrounding them with veterans. Goal is not to contend right now, but play competetive games with 3-4 high ceiling prospects in the rotation. Last year we were forcing Bamba into rotation literally losing on purpose. If he didnt had injury we would be in the lottery.

This is the NBA only so much development going to happen ,?bamba keeps losing time to khem birch !!! Lmao , bamba is not a player to build around .the front office and organization is just not good . Vuc is by far the best player and they have failed to get anyone even as good as him much less better . Mo bamba draft was a huge mistake especially when they could have drafted Michae porter jr or SGA . Maybe it’s ownership , maybe it’s the front office but whoever is making these decisions are not good .

Lots of teams passed on Porter. He might have been the pick if his health reports checked out, but could you imagine if they took him and he was the next Greg Oden? Not being able to have an NBA career? Denver was in a no risk position to take him.

Some people have already given up on Isaac because of his injuries. Porter is in a good moment now but are his injury risks completely behind him? Aren't back injuries semi there forever?

Nobody was pounding the table for SGA in the top 5 either. He's outplayed his draft spot but you don't criticize a GM for that.

You are mad that Birch has played more than Bamba, but is that a reflection of Bamba being a forever bust? Or simply coaching strategy / decision / development? I do know that Bamba didn't have the strength he needed, but has since added a whole lot to his frame. I'm interested to see how he looks next season and hope he gets an opportunity.
I’m not mad that birch played more I’m just saying bamba is not a player to build around. So what if other teams passed on mpj ,I know I wanted mpj and I have friends who thought we were going to try to draft him , was no secret he was good . Bamba can barely play and has been injured for huge parts of his career . Bamba has yet to prove he can even be a rotational player much less a starter . Bottom line this front office has not been good and has failed to improve our team in any significant way . I’m done giving them excuses .
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#1622 » by TheGlyde » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:28 am

zaymon wrote:For me its not confusing at all. We are obviously prioritizing development of Fultz, Isaac and Bamba while surrounding them with veterans. Goal is not to contend right now, but play competetive games with 3-4 high ceiling prospects in the rotation. Last year we were forcing Bamba into rotation literally losing on purpose. If he didnt had injury we would be in the lottery.

Mc-o wrote:I’m not mad that birch played more I’m just saying bamba is not a player to build around. So what if other teams passed on mpj ,I know I wanted mpj and I have friends who thought we were going to try to draft him , was no secret he was good . Bamba can barely play and has been injured for huge parts of his career . Bamba has yet to prove he can even be a rotational player much less a starter . Bottom line this front office has not been good and has failed to improve our team in any significant way . I’m done giving them excuses .

You guys know Bamba played 60 out of 65 games (92%) before the COVID shut down right?

Or zaymon when you said 'last year' did you mean 2018-19? (If so fair call), but Mc-o saying he has been injured for 'huge parts of his career' when he missed ~42% of one season and the NBA bubble, is drawing a long bow.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1623 » by zaymon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:04 am

TheGlyde wrote:

Mc-o wrote:I’m not mad that birch played more I’m just saying bamba is not a player to build around. So what if other teams passed on mpj ,I know I wanted mpj and I have friends who thought we were going to try to draft him , was no secret he was good . Bamba can barely play and has been injured for huge parts of his career . Bamba has yet to prove he can even be a rotational player much less a starter . Bottom line this front office has not been good and has failed to improve our team in any significant way . I’m done giving them excuses .

You guys know Bamba played 60 out of 65 games (92%) before the COVID shut down right?

Or zaymon when you said 'last year' did you mean 2018-19? (If so fair call), but Mc-o saying he has been injured for 'huge parts of his career' when he missed ~42% of one season and the NBA bubble, is drawing a long bow.

Yes i meant 2018/2019. Porter is having his moment but i heard Hollinger saying doctors didnt gave him a chance to play for more than season or two. Also MPJ is not the brightest and not a team player, not screaming Weltman pick to me. His length is useful tough in weak side rim protection.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1624 » by Skin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 am

Mc-o wrote:
Skin wrote:
Mc-o wrote:This is the NBA only so much development going to happen ,?bamba keeps losing time to khem birch !!! Lmao , bamba is not a player to build around .the front office and organization is just not good . Vuc is by far the best player and they have failed to get anyone even as good as him much less better . Mo bamba draft was a huge mistake especially when they could have drafted Michae porter jr or SGA . Maybe it’s ownership , maybe it’s the front office but whoever is making these decisions are not good .

Lots of teams passed on Porter. He might have been the pick if his health reports checked out, but could you imagine if they took him and he was the next Greg Oden? Not being able to have an NBA career? Denver was in a no risk position to take him.

Some people have already given up on Isaac because of his injuries. Porter is in a good moment now but are his injury risks completely behind him? Aren't back injuries semi there forever?

Nobody was pounding the table for SGA in the top 5 either. He's outplayed his draft spot but you don't criticize a GM for that.

You are mad that Birch has played more than Bamba, but is that a reflection of Bamba being a forever bust? Or simply coaching strategy / decision / development? I do know that Bamba didn't have the strength he needed, but has since added a whole lot to his frame. I'm interested to see how he looks next season and hope he gets an opportunity.
I’m not mad that birch played more I’m just saying bamba is not a player to build around. So what if other teams passed on mpj ,I know I wanted mpj and I have friends who thought we were going to try to draft him , was no secret he was good . Bamba can barely play and has been injured for huge parts of his career . Bamba has yet to prove he can even be a rotational player much less a starter . Bottom line this front office has not been good and has failed to improve our team in any significant way . I’m done giving them excuses .

I'm fine with you giving up on WeHam, but your reasoning is a little confusing. How do you know that Bamba has no future in the NBA? Because he's not a starter in his second season? Same season as the first year of Vucevic's new contract? Because he's missed some time due to injury? Have we forgotten how many games Vuc has missed over the years?

Why doesn't Bamba get the same sympathy for injury that you gave to Porter? My guess it because, 1) you liked Porter during the draft and want some credit for being right (I'll give it to you though, nice call! :)), but also 2) because Porter is playing well. So in this moment he looks good. But we still don't know if it's just a moment.

Bamba had a stress fractured in his leg... recovered... then added 20+ pounds and then got covid. His issue is conditioning. Porter had a lower back herniated disk problem. 2 minutes into his college career and he was done. His long term NBA future is not certain. One tweak and his "moment" could be short lived. That said, I hope he has a long career. He definitely looks good. Made some idiotic comments the other day, lol... but he looks good. Bamba hasn't even had a chance to have a moment yet. Porter is not being blocked by his team's highest paid player. There may be a time to bash Bamba, but that day is not here yet. He's still very much in the development period of his young career. His strengths are rim protection, rebounding, and floor spacing. 3 major necessary skills that are highly desirable in a modern NBA big.

WeHam has brought in Fultz, Okeke, Isaac, Bamba, Iwundu, Birch, MCW, Aminu and Ennis. I actually don't have any issues with these players. Injury is my #1 most frustrating thing with this team. #2 is WeHam's reluctance to swap Henny's guys for more of their own type of guys. This team has to be a reflection of their vision, not a mixture of Henny's vision and their vision. They must have come to Orlando with a vision of what kind of team they thought they needed to build in order to win here. I want them to fast forward on that vision. Right now they are in many ways deflecting blame because this team is still led by Henny's guys. They need to take ownership of their roles and build a team that we can fully judge them on.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,123

Post#1625 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:55 am

zaymon wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:

Yes i meant 2018/2019. Porter is having his moment but i heard Hollinger saying doctors didnt gave him a chance to play for more than season or two. Also MPJ is not the brightest and not a team player, not screaming Weltman pick to me. His length is useful tough in weak side rim protection.

There was also pretty sh***y medical report tossed between GMs that said " will never play basketball again" witch is reason why Clippers passed on him ( confirmed) and probably many other teams.
Maturity issues at age of 19-20 are not big deal and nothing new, on reddit there was rumor few months back that some guy that works for Magic heared how Bamba openly said lot of times how he hates living in Orlando and can't wait to leave.
So do whatever you want with that information.

but the thing about Porter is fact that he indeed did return to play, and indeed has flashes where he looks like future allstar.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#1626 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:10 am

TheGlyde wrote:You guys know Bamba played 60 out of 65 games (92%) before the COVID shut down right?.

Bamba reference LINK

Bamba was down in mpg, fg%, def. rpg, total rpg, apg, and ppg.
His per36 numbers showed no real improvements at all.

Birch was better all season over Bamba.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,070

Post#1627 » by SOUL » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am

drsd wrote:
TheGlyde wrote:You guys know Bamba played 60 out of 65 games (92%) before the COVID shut down right?.

Bamba reference LINK

This is just not true.

You're comparing Bamba last year to Bamba this year but comparing Bamba to Birch this year shows Bamba is actually even or better on most advanced stats compared to Birch and that's with 5 less minutes a game. Plus he spaces the floor a bit. There's very few categories Birch led Bamba in this year. Birch was NOT good this year at all compared to last season where he deserved the minutes he got over Bamba.

People are only factoring in bubble ball when speaking in absolutes for the season when for a majority of it, Bamba was the actual more impact player... even if both weren't great. But one is a young player who we just spent a high draft pick on. If the break didn't happen when it did, I think the season would've finished much different for Bamba because he was beginning to "get it" as far as knowing where to be on the floor and his role before the season came to a halt.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#1628 » by TheGlyde » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:18 am

drsd wrote:

Bamba reference LINK

This is a different narrative though.

I have no problem people saying he was being outplayed, because it is true.

But saying Bamba is injury prone is a case of Isaac-itis
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
drsd
RealGM

Post#1629 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:50 am

SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:

Bamba reference LINK

This is just not true.

You're comparing Bamba last year to Bamba this year but comparing Bamba to Birch this year shows Bamba is actually even or better on most advanced stats compared to Birch and that's with 5 less minutes a game.

Here is the direct comparison:
Bamba 2019/20 vs. Birch 2019/20

We will all take a lot of differing views on these numbers. Notably: I feel Birch was a much better team defender. And on pffisense, was much, much better setting picks. And neither of those things are in stat-Lines.

But in brief: Bamba was a better ppg and rpg guy. And Birch had a worse BPM (which actually makes your point).

I love plus / minus as the ultimate stat line, and Bamba was better than Birch. So you are correct and I was incorrect (in my opinion)!

drsd
RealGM

Post#1630 » by drsd » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:52 am

TheGlyde wrote:This is a different narrative though.

For me, Bamba has been focusing on physic and not fitness. And that makes a great deal of sense given his body type.

Look fans: we all knew Bamba was an about-4-year project to be an actual NBA baller.

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,070

Post#1631 » by SOUL » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am

drsd wrote:
SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:
Bamba reference LINK

This is just not true.

You're comparing Bamba last year to Bamba this year but comparing Bamba to Birch this year shows Bamba is actually even or better on most advanced stats compared to Birch and that's with 5 less minutes a game.

We will all take a lot of differing views on these numbers. Notably: I feel Birch was a much better team defender. And on pffisense, was much, much better setting picks. And neither of those things are in stat-Lines.

But in brief: Bamba was a better ppg and rpg guy. And Birch had a worse BPM (which actually makes your point).

I love plus / minus as the ultimate stat line, and Bamba was better than Birch. So you are correct and I was incorrect (in my opinion)!

Yeah! I can agree some things Birch simply does better for how his motor is and being a "vet". He's definitely more comfortable out there than Bamba was and did a lot of little things, but yeah, it was still a bit of a noticeable difference when comparing Birch this year versus last year, where I think he played much better and way better than Bamba. This year though, much more closer with Bamba edging him out in a lot of areas.

But yeah with all the conditioning + covid stuff, going with Birch was ultimately what Clifford had to do when the bubble started.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,123

Post#1632 » by pepe1991 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:59 am

Khem also played much better last than this year on his own, across the board he was worst this year.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#1633 » by Mc-o » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:45 am

Skin wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
Skin wrote:Lots of teams passed on Porter. He might have been the pick if his health reports checked out, but could you imagine if they took him and he was the next Greg Oden? Not being able to have an NBA career? Denver was in a no risk position to take him.

I'm fine with you giving up on WeHam, but your reasoning is a little confusing. How do you know that Bamba has no future in the NBA? Because he's not a starter in his second season? Same season as the first year of Vucevic's new contract? Because he's missed some time due to injury? Have we forgotten how many games Vuc has missed over the years?

Why doesn't Bamba get the same sympathy for injury that you gave to Porter? My guess it because, 1) you liked Porter during the draft and want some credit for being right (I'll give it to you though, nice call! :)), but also 2) because Porter is playing well. So in this moment he looks good. But we still don't know if it's just a moment.

Bamba had a stress fractured in his leg... recovered... then added 20+ pounds and then got covid. His issue is conditioning. Porter had a lower back herniated disk problem. 2 minutes into his college career and he was done. His long term NBA future is not certain. One tweak and his "moment" could be short lived. That said, I hope he has a long career. He definitely looks good. Made some idiotic comments the other day, lol... but he looks good. Bamba hasn't even had a chance to have a moment yet. Porter is not being blocked by his team's highest paid player. There may be a time to bash Bamba, but that day is not here yet. He's still very much in the development period of his young career. His strengths are rim protection, rebounding, and floor spacing. 3 major necessary skills that are highly desirable in a modern NBA big.

WeHam has brought in Fultz, Okeke, Isaac, Bamba, Iwundu, Birch, MCW, Aminu and Ennis. I actually don't have any issues with these players. Injury is my #1 most frustrating thing with this team. #2 is WeHam's reluctance to swap Henny's guys for more of their own type of guys. This team has to be a reflection of their vision, not a mixture of Henny's vision and their vision. They must have come to Orlando with a vision of what kind of team they thought they needed to build in order to win here. I want them to fast forward on that vision. Right now they are in many ways deflecting blame because this team is still led by Henny's guys. They need to take ownership of their roles and build a team that we can fully judge them on.

It’s not about injuries with bamba I just don’t see him being an impact player . He isn’t dominant in anyway has low energy and has no post game !!! Even in college he wasn’t great he just relied on his height .the fact they wasted a top 5 pick on a center when we already had vuc is what is frustrating . They could have also drafted sga which would have been better.

Magic need a star or at least some guards who can score not an underdeveloped center . Now Chuma may come in and change the organization but seems highly unlikely and even if chuma is a Star bamba is still a wasted pick in my opinion .
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#1634 » by Xatticus » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:46 am

TheGlyde wrote:
drsd wrote:

Bamba reference LINK

This is a different narrative though.

I have a huge issue with saying he was outplayed by Birch. We had a +0.5 net rating when Bamba was on the floor. We had a -7.1 net rating when Birch was on the floor. That's a massive difference. The team was better both offensively and defensively in the minutes that Bamba played this year. Even if you aren't buying Bamba, we were terrible when Birch was on the floor this year.

Clifford trusts Birch more. That's obvious. Clifford just prefers to play veterans with little regard for upside. Everyone points to Isaac and Fultz to argue otherwise, but it took him forever to start leaving Isaac in to finish games and he always put the ball in Augustin's hands at the end of games. Clifford just doesn't trust the young guys.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM

Post#1635 » by Skin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Mc-o wrote:
Skin wrote:
Mc-o wrote: I’m not mad that birch played more I’m just saying bamba is not a player to build around. So what if other teams passed on mpj ,I know I wanted mpj and I have friends who thought we were going to try to draft him , was no secret he was good . Bamba can barely play and has been injured for huge parts of his career . Bamba has yet to prove he can even be a rotational player much less a starter . Bottom line this front office has not been good and has failed to improve our team in any significant way . I’m done giving them excuses .

It’s not about injuries with bamba I just don’t see him being an impact player . He isn’t dominant in anyway has low energy and has no post game !!! Even in college he wasn’t great he just relied on his height .the fact they wasted a top 5 pick on a center when we already had vuc is what is frustrating . They could have also drafted sga which would have been better.

Magic need a star or at least some guards who can score not an underdeveloped center . Now Chuma may come in and change the organization but seems highly unlikely and even if chuma is a Star bamba is still a wasted pick in my opinion .

Bamba was actually picked #6, so not a Top 5 pick. haha

Magic need a star, but WeHam also needed to rebuild their team. If they felt they could get a guy with the potential to be their starting C over the next decade, then that makes the pick worthy. His length alone is dominant. Saying he relied on his height in college is not a knock. He did it because he could. Not many players in the NBA with his combination of strengths. Length, mobility, soft touch, rim protection, rebounding.

Complaining that we didn't take Porter is not being honest with yourself in terms of the draft process. Porter was taken 14th for a reason. After Bamba was picked, there was Wendell Carter, Collin Sexton, Kevin Knox, Mikal Bridges (loved him), SGA (he's not the star that the Magic are missing btw), Miles Bridges, Jerome Robinson and then Porter. I really wanted Bridges... but even in that case, I didn't want him at 6. I wanted him in a trade down. I think many would agree that in a trade down scenario the Magic could've taken Porter and been fine with it at the time, but nobody was thinking that we should've taken him at 6. I would be fine if you criticized WeHam for not trading down and then drafting Porter. But then that's really being picky.

It's not like we drafted Bagley ahead of Doncic and Young. hah
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#1636 » by Skin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:14 pm

drsd wrote:
SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:
Bamba reference LINK

This is just not true.

Some more info:

"
Per Game Table
Season G MP FG% 3P% eFG% FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK PTS
2019-20 62 14.2 .462 .346 .526 .674 1.6 3.3 4.9 0.7 0.4 1.4 5.4
Career 109 15.1 .471 .328 .526 .624 1.5 3.4 4.9 0.7 0.3 1.4 5.7
Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 9/13/2020.

He improved his 3-point percentage by 4.6 percentage points on the same volume of attempts, after shooting an underwhelming 30.0-percent as a rookie. He shot 38.2-percent on above-the-break 3-pointers, a strong number for a center and among the best in the league. But he still needs to improve his outside shot.

He also had a team-best 18.5-percent total rebound rate. According to stats from Basketball Index, Bamba finished off offensive rebounds well, averaging 3.1 putbacks per 75 possessions and 4.1 offensive rebounds per 75 possessions, both numbers rank in the 90th percentile of the league.

Shot-blocking, his strongest asset as a prospect entering the NBA, continued to earn him minutes in the deep Magic frontcourt rotation. The numbers would say Bamba was the league’s best shot-blocker this season — he averaged 3.5 blocks per 36 minutes. According to Basketball Index and data from Second Spectrum, opponents shot 14.6-percent worse at the rim when Bamba was defending it.

It is odd that so many players were still willing to test him at the rim. Bamba was hunted at the rim a lot. Bamba more often than not made them pay for that decision.

The eye test would also suggest he leads the league in “mental blocks.” His presence alone is enough to convert layups into circus shots.

Only a handful of players Bamba’s age have the physical gifts to play the modern NBA game. His 3-point touch and shot-blocking aptitude make him a coveted two-way prospect."

Good read: https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2020/09/14/2020-orlando-magic-player-evaluations-tantalizing-polarizing-prospect-mohamed-bamba/
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 572

Post#1637 » by MasterGMer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:37 pm

Comon, guys. Bamba only played NBA for 2 years and some of you already think Mamba is a bust? Bamba has a high upside and he is still a project. We need to be patient. I am very excited about the team next season. But during this offseason, I hope we either draft a PG or sign a PG as a backup with our MLE
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Post#1638 » by zaymon » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 pm

Bamba is far from a bust but he is so frustrating ! You see his tools, you see his touch and you think Goberts dad and then you watch him play and he is more like a deer on ice. Its amazing his stats were as good as they were. He is not Thabeet bad thats for sure.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#1639 » by PrimeThyme » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 am

Bam is everything I wish Bamba was in terms of a modern-day center. I won't label him a complete bust yet, but I personally think he's trending towards that direction.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#1640 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 am

I think Bamba’s developmental struggles are compounded by poor roster makeup. I don’t expect him to reach his potential with this organization.

I don’t think it’s fair to label him a bust, but it’s difficult to not consider him a disappointment thus far

Return to Orlando Magic