Hypothetical - D’Antoni to Indiana

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,583

Hypothetical - D’Antoni to Indiana 

Post#1 » by NYG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:03 pm

If Mike D’Antoni goes to the Pacers, what would you do to make them more of a D’Antoni offense?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: Hypothetical - D’Antoni to Indiana 

Post#2 » by loserX » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 pm

It will be very interesting to see if D'Antoni goes from an offence with no bigs to an offence with two bigs. (Last time that happened in Los Angeles, he had a plodding Pau Gasol camped at the 3-point line and it did not go well.) He is a very creative guy but if he ends up coaching Sabonis and Turner, he's going to have to adapt either his style or his roster.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,050

Post#3 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm

I thought about this. Sabonis has something of a midrange right? I think Turner has to go with Warren at the 4, or you trade Sabonis, which is contrary to the investment Indy has made in him. But Sabonis passing fits I think, even if he’s not a 3 point shooter
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,674

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 pm

MDA ran great offenses with Amare and Matrix. So no reason he couldn't make use of Sabonis and Turner. That said I think his first priority would be to go get the engine for his offense and he'd include either or both of those guys to get him. I love Brogdon, but I don't think MDA would see him or Dipo as being The Man and would push to get that guy.

I'd expect a hard push for Harden or Dame and then him settling on trying to get Dragic for one year to try again the following off-season. Or maybe he tries to move Dipo to a 3rd team and brings in Chris Paul.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:MDA ran great offenses with Amare and Matrix. So no reason he couldn't make use of Sabonis and Turner. That said I think his first priority would be to go get the engine for his offense and he'd include either or both of those guys to get him. I love Brogdon, but I don't think MDA would see him or Dipo as being The Man and would push to get that guy.

I'd expect a hard push for Harden or Dame and then him settling on trying to get Dragic for one year to try again the following off-season. Or maybe he tries to move Dipo to a 3rd team and brings in Chris Paul.

Brogdon, Lamb, McConnell, pick for CP?
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,674

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:MDA ran great offenses with Amare and Matrix. So no reason he couldn't make use of Sabonis and Turner. That said I think his first priority would be to go get the engine for his offense and he'd include either or both of those guys to get him. I love Brogdon, but I don't think MDA would see him or Dipo as being The Man and would push to get that guy.

I wouldn't give Brogdon. I would want to use Dipo--thus the need for a third team as I don't believe OKC would see much value in bringing him back.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:48 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

I wouldn't give Brogdon. I would want to use Dipo--thus the need for a third team as I don't believe OKC would see much value in bringing him back.

Yeah that’s probably right. Maybe NY? I love the steadiness of Brogdon next to SGA which is exactly why Indy keeps him.
loserX
And1: 26,046

Post#8 » by loserX » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:52 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:MDA ran great offenses with Amare and Matrix. So no reason he couldn't make use of Sabonis and Turner.

Well, Marion in particular is quite a different player than Turner or Sabonis. I can't see that latter pairing flourishing in a SSOL offence, for instance.

(To be fair, Turner is not the same player as Pau Gasol either. If D'Antoni goes that route he can at least feel better about Turner's range.)

This is not to say MDA can't make it work. Like I said, he's a very smart guy. But he'll have his work cut out for him.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#9 » by Village Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Oladipo and Warren for Siakam
Turner for Smart, Poirier and 14

Smart
Brogdon
Holiday
Siakam
Sabonis
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,267

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:03 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Oladipo and Warren for Siakam

Smart
Brogdon
Holiday
Siakam
Sabonis

I was actually thinking turner, warren & pick for siakam. Toronto doesn't have enough minutes at the guards for dipo if fvv is coming back, and he's a pending FA which cuts into his value.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#11 » by Village Idiot » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

Smart
Brogdon
Holiday
Siakam
Sabonis

I was actually thinking turner, warren & pick for siakam. Toronto doesn't have enough minutes at the guards for dipo if fvv is coming back, and he's a pending FA which cuts into his value.
I think the Raptors would be making a big mistake if they sign FVV to a big contract. Love his heart and his game but his limitations are glaring. I view Oladipo as an avenue to making the Raptors the favorites for Giannis if he decides to leave Milwaukee. Turner makes a lot of sense too but feel like Turner and Oladipo are worth more than Siakam
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Smart
Brogdon
Holiday
Siakam
Sabonis

I think the Raptors would be making a big mistake if they sign FVV to a big contract. Love his heart and his game but his limitations are glaring. I view Oladipo as an avenue to making the Raptors the favorites for Giannis if he decides to leave Milwaukee. Turner makes a lot of sense too but feel like Turner and Oladipo are worth more than Siakam

An FVV sign and trade is the best option for Toronto I think
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:14 pm

I don't think there is any chance D'Antoni comes to Indiana. He's going to Philly.
NYG
RealGM

Post#14 » by NYG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Sabonis is young enough to be part of a Kings rebuild, right?

Barnes and 12 for Sabonis

Kings run with Holmes/Sabonis and 3 guards (Bogdanovic, Hield and Fox)
NYG
RealGM

Post#15 » by NYG » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:33 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I don't think there is any chance D'Antoni comes to Indiana. He's going to Philly.

If Indy shows him the love he recently did not get from Houston while Philly has one foot on waiting for Lue then I see D’Antoni to Philly being one of those things that makes more sense to fans than the real life scenario.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:33 pm

NYG wrote:Sabonis is young enough to be part of a Kings rebuild, right?

Kings need to tear it all down to Fox and Bagley they aren’t close
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:39 pm

NYG wrote:Sabonis is young enough to be part of a Kings rebuild, right?

I don't see the Pacers trading Sabonis for an over paid Barnes and a late lottery pick in a poor draft.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#18 » by Wizop » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:55 pm

I don't see Pritchard wanting a 30 year old big name. If Mike proposes that plan, I'd hope we don't hire him. Well I hope that anyway but I hope if we do hire him he commits to the roster ... unless Dipo demands a trade no matter who coaches.

Turner and Sabonis think they can play together and I think we should let them try. Plus we have a small ball option with Sabonis at center and McConnell and AHoliday at the guards. Sumner could be the 3. Doug, JHolla, Jakarr, and Alize all options. A new coach could resurrect Leaf at 5.

Sent from my phone.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:01 am

Wizop wrote:

I don't see Pritchard wanting a 30 year old big name. If Mike proposes that plan, I'd hope we don't hire him. Well I hope that anyway but I hope if we do hire him he commits to the roster ... unless Dipo demands a trade no matter who coaches.

Turner and Sabonis think they can play together and I think we should let them try. Plus we have a small ball option with Sabonis at center and McConnell and AHoliday at the guards. Sumner could be the 3. Doug, JHolla, Jakarr, and Alize all options. A new coach could resurrect Leaf at 5.

Sent from my phone.

I feel like you have a lot of confidence in fringe nba players to become contributors. I was at X with Sumner, how can he play the 3? He’s a PG, SG as a stretch
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,053

Post#20 » by Wizop » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 am

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
I feel like you have a lot of confidence in fringe nba players to become contributors. I was at X with Sumner, how can he play the 3? He’s a PG, SG as a stretch
I don't see Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Sabonis, and Turner as fringe players. The other players I named were in the context of a mobile 2nd unit.

I agree Sumner's natural positions are 1 and 2. However, he has enough athletic ability to defend the 3 in an up tempo unit. I admit though that I just like him and hope he earns more pt.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Trades and Transactions