ImageImageImage

NBA Eastern Conf. Finals: Gm 1 – Celtics vs Heat – Thread #2, Overtime

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Re: NBA Eastern Conf. Finals: Gm 1 – Celtics vs Heat – Thread #2, Overtime 

Post#421 » by The Corey's » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:21 am

Im actually pretty content one way or the other with how this series goes. I do believe we should win and nothing about that game changes that but what I dont like is the lack of on the fly adjustments in game.

If Miami is going to change how they play legit possession to possession and Boston is going to continue to run thier half court hold onto the ball for 18 seconds offense then **** it, we lose.

Brad really doing a ton to unimpressed me this postseason.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,657

Post#422 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:22 am

canman1971 wrote:Stevens needs to learn how to run a better offense or get his players to listen. That was brutal to watch from a coaching point of view. How about move the ball...move your ass...make cuts...set picks? No, lets pound pound pound, shoot.

I don't know why teams don't just have tapes of the 2014 Spurs on constant loop (the team that mopped the floor with the Heat). That was the best ball and man movement of any team I've ever seen. That was some beautiful basketball. Just tell your team "Do that." I freaking hate iso ball.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,779

Post#423 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 am

It's a game the Celtics should have closed out but didn't. Very disappointing. No excuses.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
John-S
Junior
And1: 171

Post#424 » by John-S » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:27 am

Maybe if Tatum had a little better hops there coming from more higher angle he could finish that or force a contact to the forearm\wrist area foul. That is literally only thing a bit short on Tatum’s game, elite level athleticism. Brown might of had a better shot there vs Bam in the same identical situation
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#425 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 am

Cuban Pete wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Tatum

OT: 0-4

Team up 6 with 3:33 to go: 0-3

He put in an entire masterpiece of a game, until it was nut up time. And then he wilted like a flower.

It's the only thing that could have ruined how perfect he was before it was time to win the game.

We got the FULL James Harden experience from him tonight.
Tatum hadn't been reliable in the clutch. Youth, or whatever you want to call it. It just is what it is right now. Pressure gets to him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tatum isn't the reason the team lost. He wasn't great on O but wasn't bad either. He made plays on D and crashed the boards. Danny's #1 offseason priority should be locking him up long term. If he bolts via FA, the Cs are doomed. That said, blame the 35mil/yr PG who shot 1-9 on threes tonight and has now made 5 of his last 34 3-point shots.

Yeah but I think one can easily criticize Tatum's complete lack of ability to hit a single clutch shot is separate from blaming him for the game.

These observations are mutually exclusive.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,575

Post#426 » by ajones9219 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:50 am

Boston should have had this one but this game did nothing to make me doubt that we are the better team, we outplayed them most of the way
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#427 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:52 am

Celtics lost the game when they were up 13 points with 11:00 left in the game. They relaxed and found themselves up 6 points with 9:30 left in the game. Dogfight from that point on
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#428 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:56 am

The Corey's wrote:
mzepol wrote:I don't know what to say to you guys. Tatum took what the defense gave him. Just move on and play better in Game 2.

The Celtics are literally steam rolling through the playoffs if a certain 30 mil a year guy did anything on either end of the floor.

Winning or losing this game does nothing to change the fact that Kemba cant handle a trapped double team, hit a open shot or that Stevens sleep walks through these games on idle.

Thats why Im personally irritated because while they blew this game they didnt even give me reason to believe that going forward anything will change.

I didn't want to And1 this post, and yet I can't think of anything that can refute it in the slightest.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#429 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:59 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Cuban Pete wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:Tatum hadn't been reliable in the clutch. Youth, or whatever you want to call it. It just is what it is right now. Pressure gets to him

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tatum isn't the reason the team lost. He wasn't great on O but wasn't bad either. He made plays on D and crashed the boards. Danny's #1 offseason priority should be locking him up long term. If he bolts via FA, the Cs are doomed. That said, blame the 35mil/yr PG who shot 1-9 on threes tonight and has now made 5 of his last 34 3-point shots.

Yeah but I think one can easily criticize Tatum's complete lack of ability to hit a single clutch shot is separate from blaming him for the game.

No they aren't.

Tatum had 30 points, 14 rebs, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks.

Walker was 1-9 on threes and 19 points while playing the same amount of minutes.

It's easy to over-analyze close games. That's why I prefer to pick on players who played way below their norms, especially when they're making about 35mil/yr. Walker not only had a poor game, but he's been trash in his last 5 games. I don't think Danny had that in mind when he gave Walker max money.

But let's trash Tatum, he sucks.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#430 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:18 am

I honestly think the Celtics that had the worst night in Game 1 was Brad Stevens and it wasn’t even close. Kemba probably a distant 2nd
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 824

Post#431 » by JimmyFromNz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 am

Curmudgeon wrote:It's a game the Celtics should have closed out but didn't. Very disappointing. No excuses.

There's a temptation to over analyse 'the moments', but this is really it... I'm not sure there is much else be said given it is something we have seen plenty of over the past 2 weeks.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#432 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 am

I'm happy to live and die on Tatum with the dunk attempt. I'd just been slapping my head over us not putting enough pressure on the defence and the refs down the stretch, and he was sending it with force.

Bam made a great play. Kudos to him.

Plenty we need to work on for game 2. Kemba has gotta start working to his mid range shot early when on ball, his three when off ball or he sees it go in a couple of times. And get out of his own head. I get he can be schemed out at his size, but this wasn't that (at least, not mostly).
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#433 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:46 am

Cuban Pete wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Cuban Pete wrote:

No they aren't.

Tatum had 30 points, 14 rebs, 5 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks.

Walker was 1-9 on threes and 19 points while playing the same amount of minutes.

It's easy to over-analyze close games. That's why I prefer to pick on players who played way below their norms, especially when they're making about 35mil/yr. Walker not only had a poor game, but he's been trash in his last 5 games. I don't think Danny had that in mind when he gave Walker max money.

But let's trash Tatum, he sucks.

Wah wah wah.

It's not over analyzing. I'd say you're under thinking it if you can't see how both things can exist in the same realities. Because that IS reality.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#434 » by TheMartian » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:50 am

https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/8-ways-beat-2-3-zone-wes-kosel/

Wait, so there are multiple ways of beating a zone defense? Hmm.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,589

Post#435 » by The Corey's » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:00 am

mzepol wrote:https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/8-ways-beat-2-3-zone-wes-kosel/

I'm more concerned with the closing speed of all these double teams. Celtics are finding the open man but by time the ball gets there there's already someone on defense.

Celtics also had 4 fouls called on them less than 2 minutes in quarter 4. Which was suspicious at best. Hest was going to the line on every foul with 8 minutes left in the game.

That changed everything.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#436 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:21 am

Late realization: I jinxed us again.

ConstableGeneva wrote:The last time we saw Jayson Tatum in an ECF game, he did this...

He's since grown into a more complete player. No pressure, JT, but superstardom starts here.

If only I could keep myself from posting dumb ****.

The dunk on Lebron was better set up btw. Not a straight up iso. He was coming off a curl before he attacked. Right side was clear of any possible help defender since Green got caught up in the screen.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#437 » by TheMartian » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:24 am

The Corey's wrote:
mzepol wrote:https://www.mensbasketballhoopscoop.com/8-ways-beat-2-3-zone-wes-kosel/

I'm more concerned with the closing speed of all these double teams. Celtics are finding the open man but by time the ball gets there there's already someone on defense.

Celtics also had 4 fouls called on them less than 2 minutes in quarter 4. Which was suspicious at best. Hest was going to the line on every foul with 8 minutes left in the game.

That changed everything.

The ball really stays too long especially on Kemba's hands. By the time he passes the ball, the Heat players know where it's going.

We were actually lucky that only Kemba was being double teamed most of the night. If they also did that on Tatum like the Raptors did, we'd have lost by double digits.

As far as the refs go, I agree, Heat got the favorable calls tonight. Didn't realize Bam was such a flopper but the refs keep falling for it. Meanwhile, Jaylen, for all his drives to the hoop where there were lots of contact at the rim, never got any calls whistled his way. But that's the refs for you, ain't much we can do about them.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#438 » by 100proof » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:01 am

ajones9219 wrote:
100proof wrote:
tlee324 wrote:
Maybe you're right, but time is running out on the mulligan's.

Maybe they get swept.

They already exceeded my expectations for the year, and that was with a healthy hayward.

I would live banner 18, but i didnt see it this year team is a good bench and a good center away from winning it all.
Well that and a little more growth from the jays

The last part is evident in close games.

Tatum literally dominated all game and was a crazy block away from tying it back up. Dude gets 0% blame on this one

Agree

Return to Boston Celtics