Jerry West is a GENIUS

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

winston2chainz
Sophomore
And1: 180

Re: Jerry West is a GENIUS 

Post#21 » by winston2chainz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 am

Mo Harkless, Clippers 2020 1st, and pick swaps for a one year rental of Marcus Morris is an understated mistake. Mortgaging your entire future for Paul George to placate Kawhi Leonard I kind of get, but I will never understand why you would trade Mo Harkless, a 1st round pick, and pick swaps for a one year rental of Marcus Morris - especially when your team is already struggling with offensive fit and the biggest area of need was at PG.

Like damn, you have two wing players that score 20+ ppg but can be ball-stoppers, you've got two bench players that can score 20+ ppg but are also ball-stoppers, do you really need to trade in a perfectly capable starting PF for another ISO wing and sacrifice the last piece of flexibility you have left?
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,102

Post#22 » by duppyy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 am

The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,490

Post#23 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:59 am

Jerry West smiling at home while holding his old Laker jersey
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,025

Post#24 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:00 am

Patches Perry wrote:You're probably right that his advisement is overstated, but in 2017 the Clippers were racing to the bottom with aging stars and awful contracts, and in 2020 they're championship favorites. I don't have insider evidence of West's exact role in that transformation but it's strange how often his teams are accidentally successful under his consult.

I think you'd have a pretty good record too if all of a team's successes (loosely defined by the way--were the Grizzlies a "success"?) were nebulously linked to your tenure, while none of the failures were attributed to you. I think West is an excellent executive, but at some point we need to stop mythologizing these people.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#25 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:10 am

I'd ascribe the success/failure of the Paul George trade more to OKC doing a brilliant job of leveraging a once-in-a-lifetime situation where they had an all-star that LAC needed in order to obtain a superstar.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#26 » by kombayn » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am

OKC is sitting pretty at this point. I'd much rather have paired up SGA, Gallo and keeping our picks with Kawhi.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#27 » by killmongrel » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am

Hopefully some of my fellow Warrior fans can stop whining about Jerry West leaving.
kan_t
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#28 » by kan_t » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:22 am

It's a gamble he has to take, assume that it's a package deal. Lakers fans may not understand it because the Lakers have the luxury to be terrible for years and still be able to attract stars coming. Not many teams have that luxury.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,025

Post#29 » by levon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:25 am

kan_t wrote:It's a gamble he has to take, assume that it's a package deal. Lakers fans may not understand it because the Lakers have the luxury to be terrible for years and still be able to attract stars coming. Not many teams have that luxury.

I get that line of argument, but the primary motivator for Kawhi was coming back home. For purely basketball reasons, Toronto was his best option. When he asked for a trade from SA, he listed Lakers, Clippers. That list narrowed to one once Lebron joined the Lakers, mind you without any forced trades. It was clear Kawhi was looking for a vacancy in his hometown. It's not like he signed with the Memphis Grizzlies. The Clippers also have the advantage of being in LA.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,538

Post#30 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:27 am

the clippers had three huge accomplishments this season lets not forget.
and they have Jerry west to thank
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#31 » by Ill News » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 am

This wasn't Jerry West's fault. If Kawhi wants to play on your team, you move heaven and earth to accommodate him, even if his desire to play with PG was really **** questionable.

I have issues with the Morris trade though. Should have gone for a big instead because their frontcourt is really lacking. Even if they got past the Nuggets, AD would've eaten them alive next round.
GM Wotsup
Junior
And1: 272

Post#32 » by GM Wotsup » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 am

He is. He did his job.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 am

clippers could still have sga and should of drafted mpj in 2018
Laker1
Assistant Coach
And1: 154

Post#34 » by Laker1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:the clippers had three huge accomplishments this season lets not forget.

“Clippers while they were 3X champions in the regular season”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#35 » by Lalouie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 am

levon wrote:The Clippers sent SGA, Gallo, 5 first round picks, and 2 pick swaps for Paul George.

Then proceeded to send Moe Harkless, a 2020 first round pick, swap rights to two picks, and filler for Marcus **** Morris.

I'm a Lakers fan so I credit Jerry for discovering Kobe and being an architect of that threepeat. But some of the incessant stanning of this dude in the basketball world is :roll: .

Oh but did you guys hear he threatened to quit if the Warriors traded Klay for K Love?

the owner committed to kawhi.
he was desirous of validation in the city of los angeles owned by the lakers
kawhi wanted pg or else

what the do you expect. okc had lac by the gonads. don't be so smug. bad karma is laying eggs everywhere, haven't you noticed. when lebron retires the lakers become the pels
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#36 » by Patches Perry » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:37 am

levon wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:You're probably right that his advisement is overstated, but in 2017 the Clippers were racing to the bottom with aging stars and awful contracts, and in 2020 they're championship favorites. I don't have insider evidence of West's exact role in that transformation but it's strange how often his teams are accidentally successful under his consult.

I think you'd have a pretty good record too if all of a team's successes (loosely defined by the way--were the Grizzlies a "success"?) were nebulously linked to your tenure, while none of the failures were attributed to you. I think West is an excellent executive, but at some point we need to stop mythologizing these people.

He's won executive of the year 2x - only executive in history to win with different organizations - once with the Grizzlies and once with the Lakers.

I will give you that his involvement with the Warriors and Clippers is more nebulous, but it's not controversial to say he had an influence in many of their franchise moves over the past 9 years and for those teams to rise from middling to contender or champion during his tenure as consultant seems to speak well of his presence. Again, even if I grant that there is a certain level of legend to the Jerry West effect, it's only because the totality of his body of work and the subsequent success of teams he is working behind the scenes for does give his legacy a little well deserved spark.

All things considered, I'm not sure there's a better executive in NBA history. Mount Rushmore of executives at the very least.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#37 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 am

Morris sucks, never liked him. That was a bad trade.

The trade that got them kawhi wasn’t.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

Laker1 wrote:
lonzo_pelota wrote:the clippers had three huge accomplishments this season lets not forget.

“Clippers while they were 3X champions in the regular season”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id bet a 100bucks blake griffin texted cp3 a laughing emoji tonight
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,431

Post#39 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:51 am

I know it's easy to **** on the Clippers and understandably so, but their window isn't closed. They'll be in the hunt again next season.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 14,835

Post#40 » by Mk0 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 am

SleepingDragon wrote:
Lawyershawn wrote:The trade was also implicitly for Kawhi Leonard.

It was a good trade. They had a legit shot at a ring.

Kawhi just wanted a 2nd star to play with, PG13 is not the only choice.

Jerry West overpaid for PG13.

KD, Kyrie and Jimmy had all already signed somewhere else. PG was not his first choice but he didn't have many options.

In a perfect scenario Kawhi doesn't force the Clippers hand. He made them bid against themselves.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel

Return to The General Board