Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Re: Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART 

Post#1221 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:02 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:If Clippers dont win this series, its either a clippers curse or something.

That team is weak minded. They think they can show up and win with just their talent alone.
Maybe I shouldn't say weak minded but mentally fragile, the bubble affected many players differently.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,318

Post#1222 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 am

HINrichPolice wrote:I never understood why Kawhi wanted to leave the Raptors. It was just a great situation for him. Made no sense.

He was too enamored with playing in LA.
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,558

Post#1223 » by JimmyButler21 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 am

Feels good to have plucked someone from the Nuggets. They've done a heck of a job.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1224 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:07 am

Masai Ujiri started one hell of a culture in Denver. Connelly pushed them further ahead, AK did as well.

As I said before, I think we will see a blend of the Raptors and Nuggets mentality into what the Bulls will eventually resemble.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#1225 » by Mech Engineer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:11 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:If Clippers dont win this series, its either a clippers curse or.. something.

That team is weak minded. They think they can show up and win with just their talent alone.
Maybe I shouldn't say weak minded but mentally fragile, the bubble affected many players differently.

They thought they were tough and assumed the Nuggets would fold. They had the tough guys....Morris, Harrell, Beverly etc... supposedly but couldn't make shots.

George looks like a stat stuffer in the reg season.
MrFortune3
General Manager

Post#1226 » by MrFortune3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:14 am

Mech Engineer wrote:
MrFortune3 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:If Clippers dont win this series, its either a clippers curse or.. something.

They thought they were tough and assumed the Nuggets would fold. They had the tough guys....Morris, Harrell, Beverly etc... supposedly but couldn't make shots.

George looks like a stat stuffer in the reg season.

The Nuggets are streaky but when they get hot, they are en fuego.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#1227 » by TheStig » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:26 am

dougthonus wrote:
TheStig wrote:Lol fair enough. I think it's a good deal for both. That's not to say someone doesn't outbid them. I definitely think this is peak CP3 value on this deal. I personally think Utah goes all in. I think if they get this same CP3 and he doesn't decline the next year or two significantly, they can be a serious contender.

I get it. But has Houston ever been really bad during the Morey tenure? I think their floor has been barely missing the playoffs. And as long as they have Harden, I can't really see that happening. He's been really good at pulling things out of his @ss to put around him. I have even more respect for West and the Clipps. To me, I don't think those picks hit a good lottery pick. To me, it looks like a bunch of c level prospects being taken there. Shai looks like the big haul here. Where I can see it helping is them trading up with those picks or packaging someone and picks for a star.

Might be the case that all these picks end up being lousy for sure. The Rockets picks are protected 1-4 as well. However, you're talking picks up to 2026 from both teams and rights to swap. Those teams could easily (and likely will) lose their star players well before that point or have them fall off a cliff even if they stay.

Even if you just had 9 extra mid to late 1sts over 6 years that would be amazing in your ability to trade up or trade out and collect more assets. Imagine every year you just trade one of your multiple extra picks for multiple picks further out in the draft.

For a team without a franchise player, I'll take the Thunder's setup over anyone else in the league.

I get your point but you made a big qualification at the end and that's teams without a franchise player. That's hard to do in OKC. You're not going to sign them and likely won't trade for them. So unless they bottom out and get someone, that player isn't likely coming here. The hit rate on picks in the 20's isn't great either. I also don't see someone taking 4 of these 20's picks and trading a top 3 pick for it. They do have value and he got a lot of them but I'm just not as mesmerized by them as you. I do think PG deal was really good though. And Russ had a low value. But the future doesn't look amazing to me. Maybe when they get more pieces.
Southpaw
Sixth Man
And1: 763

Post#1228 » by Southpaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:33 am

That's why building team chemistry in the regular season is important. The Clippers acted like they where the Shaq and Kobe Lakers where they can just flip a switch in the playoffs and just win but when the going got tough, they folded. Team chemistry is important.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,288

Post#1229 » by dumbell78 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 am

Man those were two fantastic games. You cant help but admire what Denver has top down, they play the right way and showed that they are far from soft. Lakers better not play the "too cool for school" game with them, Clippers looked like they did up 3-1 and got smacked in the mouth.

Oh yeah.......JIMMY BUTLER!

FU GarPax.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,952

Post#1230 » by Chi town » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:12 am

When does Barton come back?

Hayward too?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Post#1231 » by MrSparkle » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:41 am

First off, kudos to Denver. I loved their team, did not expect them to knock out Kawhi and that team's depth chart, but they did it. That was a basketball whipping. They looked great. I don't know if it's possible but I hope they get Barton back. I hope they have everybody 100% against Lakers, because they'll need the depth. I really think that's the Lakers' x-factor; they've got the deepest veteran bench. So many options; they've got 2 big centers to throw at Jokic. Two scrappy higher-IQ PGs who will more effectively frustrate Murray than Beverley, who over-compensates for his lack of offensive skills with a mean bite. Kuzma and MPJ can go at it to see who can score in streaky bunches and defend less. All these distractions leave either Lebron or Davis to do damage.

Hopefully Jokic can outplay them by dragging them to the perimeter, but we'll see; Howard is going to be motivated to forever erase his abomination of a first Lakers stint. I do think Rockets had a break-down similar to the Clippers. Assuming the Nuggets keep trucking on, I don't expect LAL to look so confident. They're not going to get open looks like the Rockets gave - there is no way the Lakers shoot 50% from the 3P line. So I actually really believe Denver can pull this off.

But back to Clippers...

Wow. The Terminator put his head down and gave up. I do genuinely believe he is the best player in the world right now, but he just wasn't interested in bailing out his team tonight. To be fair, the Clippers' lack of offensive creativity just hit a hard stop these 3 halves.

Paul George used to be a confident clutch player. It looks like he's got the yips. He made 2 of his 11 from the arc, but man, some of them looked so bad.

A combined 1-3 from the FT line for these two guys?

Really weak individual performances, but obviously the team had its criticisms all year long. You can only load manage and rehab for so long. At a certain point, if your engine never ran for more than 10 miles at a time during regular season, it's hard to steam-roll that final race (especially with the weirdness coming into a bubble with various guys quarantined). Maybe they had valid reasons, but if I recall, half their team made it to the bubble really late. Doc couldn't get a practice or even any games with Beverley or Harrell. IMO, throwing your starting PG with no prep against a hot Dallas squad was probably a headache for Doc. It SEEMED like the Clippers came into the bubble less serious about the resuming reason than teams like Boston, Utah, Dallas, Denver, etc. On the other hand, everybody had some kind of chemistry hiccups with various player quarantines and injuries. Boo hoo.

Really, Paul George declined down to a 16 PER playoff performance, which left a big burden for Kawhi to fill in terms of consistency. The team wasn't built with another secondary scorer in mind besides Lou, who is a bench spark. He's at that crucial juncture where he can make that late career push to push his decline back, or he falls deeper. He hasn't had a 20+ PER playoff measure since leaving IND. Clippers bet on him returning to an efficient rating, but the guy has been very injured. Best luck to them, cause Clippers are screwed if PG doesn't work out.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#1232 » by kodo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:09 am

If there's a criticism to be made about the Clippers, it's that their superstars aren't very creative with the ball. Kawhi plays like a robot going down his script. If open 3 shoot, if not drive. If defender is in the way pull up for a short jumper. He's incredibly effective at every part of his script, but he's never going to catch the other team off guard.

Paul George was due for a bad shooting night, but even when he's great he's mainly pulling up for jumpers he doesn't dance w/ the ball. The Clippers rely way too much on Lou for any spontaneous, organic creation on the court and asking him to be that kind of guy in this situation is too much for him.

Kawhi hand picked PG to be his superfriend in LA, but that might have been a bad call. He'd probably needs someone with more on ball creation and playmaking.

So we've seen two teams, HOU & LAC, fold because their stars tried to be GMs and picked pretty bad star teammates.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,495

Post#1233 » by dice » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 am

"bubble championship"
"didn't have to face any tough teams"

things that will inevitably be said about lebron when/if lakers win title
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#1234 » by Shill » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:28 am

dice wrote:"bubble championship"

As a Laker hater, I can live with that.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
troza
Junior
And1: 128

Post#1235 » by troza » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:47 am

Truth to be told, the Lakers sent home two good teams in the early stages but the final 4 is a bit weak.

If people say that Jordan didn't had competition, what will they say about this?

About the buble, only one team lost all momentum: the Bucks. And few believed they were the main contenders for the title.

It would be nice if the Heat could win this title with no losses. I doubt that they will win, much more win without losing. Just for Jimmy Butler.

For a franchise? A first title to Denver would be awesome.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#1236 » by LikeABosh » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 am

The bubble has only served to hurt the Lakers I think. Instead of HCA throughout the WC, they just get a neutral court
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#1237 » by jc23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 am

ill be tattooing that on my hands.
Be curious, Not judgmental
jc23
RealGM

Post#1238 » by jc23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 am

reaction from adam silver when he found out no La v La wcf...

Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#1239 » by Axolotl » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 am

I like the Nuggets. I like the Nuggets a lot.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
jc23
RealGM

Post#1240 » by jc23 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 am

Kahwai only has one more year in his deal before he can leave. Clippers might be in some real trouble going forward.

Return to Chicago Bulls