Do you think Kawhi Leonard is a system player that needs a stacked team in order to win?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think Kawhi Leonard is a system player that needs a stacked roster in order to win?

Yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 180

Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,504

Do you think Kawhi Leonard is a system player that needs a stacked team in order to win? 

Post#1 » by Joerezz7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:38 pm

Seems like he can’t get the job done if his team is not stacked. If you’re a top 5 player and your team is expected to win but yet you don’t take over the game and disappear in the 4th quarter. If this was Lebron the media would be killing him. He basically needs a team that would be a 3rd or 2nd without him in order to win.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,562

Re: Do you think Kawhi Leonard is a system player that needs a stacked team in order to win? 

Post#2 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

well, isn't that the case for everybody who's won a title in the last decade expect maybe dirk?
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,819

Re: Do you think Kawhi Leonard is a system player that needs a stacked team in order to win? 

Post#3 » by nikster » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

I wouldn't call him a system player. He doesn't need a system to stand off ball and iso and get his. But he can't be the offensive system the way some other stars can (Jokic, Lebron...)
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,813

Post#4 » by TravisScott55 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Clippers were a bad fit. No play makers, no interior defenders and a bunch of guys who acted like they had the title won already. Chemistry is needed to win, not just talent. Toronto was the perfect fit for him.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#5 » by Dupp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm

No I do not.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#6 » by VDT » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm

He is not. But he is an iso player with a limited playmaking ability. You need a system around him. Which is ok, even Jordan needed a system around him in order to win. You cant win with just iso play and in this postseason this is even more true.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,909

Post#7 » by thebigbird » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm

Yes. Everyone talked about how stacked the Clippers were all season. Everyone talked about how amazing their bench was. And then kawhi had an epic hame 7 choke job. He’s always had the benefit of landing in good positions. He started his career with the Spurs and then went to an established team. The “he can win anywhere” and the “regular season is just practice, wait for playoff kawhi” guys took a big hit last night.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#8 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm

How could anybody vote yes? Such a dumb question.

Were the Raptors “stacked”?
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#9 » by packforfreedom » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:57 pm

no, but he isn't the primary playmaker on a championship team either. He's an absolute elite scorer and still a very good defender, but he needs somebody to share the playmaking load with. And there's no shame in that.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm

No. Absolutely not. I mean he has played on teams with a ton of talent, but he hasnt really played with even a 2nd real star other then early on before duncan declined.

Paul george is the biggest fraud star in elague history and the biggest cancer of the past 40 years. he makes everyone around him worse and all of his stats are completely empty.
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,504

Post#11 » by Joerezz7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:How could anybody vote yes? Such a dumb question.

Hell yea the Raptors were stacked. They had the 2nd best record in the East without him. They almost went to the Conference Finals, only losing by a few points in game 7. The Raptors are a very stacked team. Can’t believe you made such a dumb statement.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#13 » by Huskies1947 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm

He had play makers last year (Kyle Lowry, Fred Van Vleet) that helped run the offense at times. I did not really see that in the post season this year for the clippers. Paul george just dissappeared.
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,603

Post#14 » by Heej » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Raptors literally almost made the ECF after losing Kawhi and their starting 2 Guard. Of course they were stacked. They have the best coach in the league. Kawhi's a system player to me until proven otherwise
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#15 » by celtics543 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:22 pm

What a crazy swing for Kawhi. A week ago he was the best player in the playoffs and now people are asking if he's a system player.

Kawhi, like everyone who wins titles, has benefited from being on great teams. He was the best player on a Raptors team that was very talented and caught GSW without two of their three best players. What would the narrative look like if that Warriors team was healthy in the Finals last year? So I think he got too much credit for that series but probably not enough for what he did in San Antonio in 2014. Remember this is the same Kawhi that missed free throws that would've won the Finals in 2013.

Kawhi is a great player but he's not Jordan. He's also not a system player. No one wins a title by themselves, Kawhi is no different. His team helped him succeed in 2019 and 2014 and his team helped him fail this year.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,517

Post#16 » by ropjhk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:22 pm

I'll say that all he needs are teammates who will develop chemistry, are well coached, defend well, play hard and be mentally tough. The Raptors check all that while the Clippers only met one of the criteria.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,932

Post#17 » by zimpy27 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:23 pm

He was on a stacked team.

He's not a playmaker and the team needs one.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,311

Post#18 » by Ambrose » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Honestly, yes, but not for the reason you think. He's talented enough to do it but not available enough. He needs to be on a great team that can compete without him to get to a spot where can dominate down the stretch. He's never carrying anyone to a title.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#19 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:34 pm

Heej wrote:

Raptors literally almost made the ECF after losing Kawhi and their starting 2 Guard. Of course they were stacked. They have the best coach in the league. Kawhi's a system player to me until proven otherwise

okay. i guess if you feel the raptors were stacked i can see voting yes. lowry and siakam showed in the 2nd round they aren't that good. i wouldn't put them as the top two players of a stacked team, but i guess we all have our opinions.
User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 387

Post#20 » by User_friendly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:36 pm

I think he needs a Point Guard

Return to The General Board